or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please - Page 48

post #1411 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

Nobody is talking about DLP in this thread because it's a Flat Panel forum. If you want to discuss DLP you need to go to the Rear Projection forum. Here is a link.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63

I always thought flat panel just meant a flat screen.. All modern TVs are flat screens. But I suppose they are considered different and separated in this forum. I am not sure I could imagine anything but DLP at this point considering you can get an excellent 82" DLP for about $1,800, 73" for not much more than $1,000, which is incredible. For my visual tastes not only are they much, much cheaper, but better visual quality(smoother motion, more film-like, less glare, less glossy/plasticky looking). Too good to pass up.
post #1412 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

If you cannot control lighting then a LCD is the better choice. Even some of the newer LCD are using more reflective screens and that is your main concern. Plasma or LCD will both provide a stunning picture. Anti reflective screen coating are weak at best, especially in a really bright room. Your job is to choose the best technology that will live best in your specific lighting environment. If you are going to be a rather demanding TV watcher then you should start out by preparing your room for optimum light control. Heavy drapes, heavy blinds, plantation shutters. When watching any TV, light is your enemy. Next, decide if you want 3D. Next choose a budget. If the budget allows for the extra cost of 3D then get it even if you don't care about it. For a 60" my choices would include the new Sharp Quad displays and Panasonic's ST/GT/VT series.

i was leaning toward purchasing a Panasonic ST50 (over samsung d7000) until I saw this thread. In a room where lighting may be an issue (bay windows...lots of sunlight), would anyone still choose the st50 over the samsung?
post #1413 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post

I always thought flat panel just meant a flat screen.. All modern TVs are flat screens. But I suppose they are considered different and separated in this forum. I am not sure I could imagine anything but DLP at this point considering you can get an excellent 82" DLP for about $1,800, 73" for not much more than $1,000, which is incredible. For my visual tastes not only are they much, much cheaper, but better visual quality(smoother motion, more film-like, less glare, less glossy/plasticky looking). Too good to pass up.

Reliability of Mitsubishi tv sets is just about the bottom of the barrel.
post #1414 of 1440
I'm opting for the VT50 over any LCD-based set. Don't have a man cave and have a huge bay window just a short distance from where the TV will be. But, that is what cellular shades are for - especially auto-retracting ones.

Don't take up a ton of room and they do a good job of blocking light.
post #1415 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post


Reliability of Mitsubishi tv sets is just about the bottom of the barrel.

Ture that! Just make sure you get the extended warranty. Just had the dlp chip replaced under an extended warranty on my 82837
post #1416 of 1440
"I have noticed this is Plasma Country! I have a Plasma but LCD (LED) is the way I am going from now on! Too many issues with plasma! Plus , plasma is a done deal in another year or so! (from a very , very reliable source, by the way)"




Another year plus has gone by and I am enjoying my brand new Samsung PN60E7000 60" plasma TV. biggrin.gif

What's that about plasma?
Edited by msantti - 8/8/12 at 2:57pm
post #1417 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

"I have noticed this is Plasma Country! I have a Plasma but LCD (LED) is the way I am going from now on! Too many issues with plasma! Plus , plasma is a done deal in another year or so! (from a very , very reliable source, by the way)"
Another year plus has gone by and I am enjoying my brand new Samsung PN60E7000 60" plasma TV. biggrin.gif
What's that about plasma?
Dude's very reliable source is a complete idiot! Why do so many lemmings drink the Kool-Aid? I have two plasmas and two LCD/LEDs, there's no comparison. Plasma wins every time.
post #1418 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 View Post

I have noticed this is Plasma Country! I have a Plasma but LCD (LED) is the way I am going from now on! Too many issues with plasma! Plus , plasma is a done deal in another year or so! (from a very , very reliable source, by the way)
Let's at least quote the proper poster if we're going to ridicule his goofy, fact-devoid prediction. wink.gif I suppose he gave himself an out with "or so." rolleyes.gif
post #1419 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Let's at least quote the proper poster if we're going to ridicule his goofy, fact-devoid prediction. wink.gif I suppose he gave himself an out with "or so." rolleyes.gif

Ole Bigmac is a know anti-plasma troll been here for over a year
post #1420 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

"I have noticed this is Plasma Country! I have a Plasma but LCD (LED) is the way I am going from now on! Too many issues with plasma! Plus , plasma is a done deal in another year or so! (from a very , very reliable source, by the way)"
Another year plus has gone by and I am enjoying my brand new Samsung PN60E7000 60" plasma TV. biggrin.gif
What's that about plasma?

I would not bank on that source as reliable do to NDA 's most with any common sense would not jeopardize their job in this dog eat dog world.

Also a few months back can't remember the tech site now Panasonic said don't hold your breath for affordable OLED's anytime soon current tech will be around awhile but if your talking 3 to 5 years lots of things can happen as companies closing doors or leaving said division all together as Pioneer did the TV's.
post #1421 of 1440
Has LCD tech improved or is off angle viewing still an issue?

My mother recently picked up a Panny 50U50 but has decided 50" is too big for her bedroom. I am now stuck trying to find a set smaller than 50" and probably in the 43-47" range.

I only see a handful of Plasmas in this size currently available, two Samsung and two LG.

If she was always watching from one angle it would be easy, but she watches from all over the place since she will have the TV on when she is getting ready or working around her bedroom.
post #1422 of 1440
For 65 inch --- Should I go for Panny Plasma ST60 or VT60 or LCD Budget is 2400.

I already have a Panny Plasma 50ST50 but the images are not as crisp as my Toshiba 37HL67. Size difference make conclusions hard.
Plus my toshiba is LCD not LED... no edge lit crap
Edited by jk_bama - 6/28/13 at 5:02pm
post #1423 of 1440
So, I had a Samsung LE37R86BD 37" LCD TV(1366x768) with my PS3, but then my uncle bought a new TV and I got his LG 42PC55 42" Plasma(1024x768), I took it in a heartbeat because it was bigger and at the time I thought it was Full HD. but I just realized it's not. So now I'm wondering which would give me a better picture in PS3 games? Is the difference in the resolution noticeable? Also, because most PS3 games run at 720p, should I have the upscaling on or off with an HD Ready TV? And it shows that my TV "supports" 1080i too, should I untick that and just have it run at 720p? I'm a bit confused with these resolutions, scaling and stuff.
post #1424 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyass View Post

So, I had a Samsung LE37R86BD 37" LCD TV(1366x768) with my PS3, but then my uncle bought a new TV and I got his LG 42PC55 42" Plasma(1024x768), I took it in a heartbeat because it was bigger and at the time I thought it was Full HD. but I just realized it's not. So now I'm wondering which would give me a better picture in PS3 games? Is the difference in the resolution noticeable? Also, because most PS3 games run at 720p, should I have the upscaling on or off with an HD Ready TV? And it shows that my TV "supports" 1080i too, should I untick that and just have it run at 720p? I'm a bit confused with these resolutions, scaling and stuff.

Just leave it the way it is, you won't notice a difference in resolution. If you're watching cable/satellite or OTA TV, some channels are broadcast in 720p and some in 1080i. I'm not sure what you mean about having upscaling on or off, the TV is going to convert whatever signal it receives to its native resolution. (1024x768). Since 720p is slightly better than 1080i for fast motion, I would set the PS3 to output 720p.
post #1425 of 1440
Black bars are so stupid in 2013. I could see the directors insisting on 2:35 and 2:40 10-15 years ago and claiming artistic choice but come on, the studios make much more money on DVD releases than in the movie theater ticket sales. It's about time to play to the TV watchers and tell the directors to realize who most lines their pockets.
post #1426 of 1440
I prefer 2.35:1 over 16:9 and most of my favourite movies are 2.35 also. I won't be the only one either. In saying that, I prefer 3d movies and non-action/cinematic movies to be 16:9.
post #1427 of 1440
right. It would be nice if manufacturers would make this an automatic switch.thanks
post #1428 of 1440
right. It would be nice if manufacturers would make this an automatic switch.thanks lt6Lgn
post #1429 of 1440
right. It would be nice if manufacturers would make this an automatic switch.thanks
post #1430 of 1440
i think so,Plasma - the only way to go IF you're not a gamer! thank you mysm
post #1431 of 1440

I'm noticing that the stickies on this sight/forum are almost all outdated.

 

Is there a current discussion, thread, FAQ, whatever, for LCD vs Plasma vs LED and all that?

 

I'm poking around and almost everything I see is 'officials owners of xyz123' threads that won't be of much help

post #1432 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

I'm noticing that the stickies on this sight/forum are almost all outdated.

Is there a current discussion, thread, FAQ, whatever, for LCD vs Plasma vs LED and all that?

I'm poking around and almost everything I see is 'officials owners of xyz123' threads that won't be of much help

What are you trying to understand? If you can be more specific with your questions you are more likely to get effective replies...
post #1433 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post


What are you trying to understand? If you can be more specific with your questions you are more likely to get effective replies...

I didn't know enough to ask anything more specific than "what are the differences between plasma, LCD, LED-LCD".

 

I did some Googling and read on cnet and pcmag and amazon and elsewhere, and think I have a handle on it. Now the confusing part is reading everything in terms of model numbers and figuring out what people are talking about. I hadn't read a thing about TVs since we bought our current 46" Samsung LCD back in 2008, and I don't think I knew what I was doing then. 

 

I guess I want an LED-LCD backlit display due to the rather bright lighting conditions we currently have most of the day in here.

post #1434 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

What are you trying to understand? If you can be more specific with your questions you are more likely to get effective replies...
I didn't know enough to ask anything more specific than "what are the differences between plasma, LCD, LED-LCD".

I did some Googling and read on cnet and pcmag and amazon and elsewhere, and think I have a handle on it. Now the confusing part is reading everything in terms of model numbers and figuring out what people are talking about. I hadn't read a thing about TVs since we bought our current 46" Samsung LCD back in 2008, and I don't think I knew what I was doing then. 

I guess I want an LED-LCD backlit display due to the rather bright lighting conditions we currently have most of the day in here.

Yes, if you have bright viewing conditions and need a panel with high light output, LED/LCD is probably better for you than plasma.

The one exception could be the Samsung F8500 which is the brightest plasma ever produced.

If you already have an LED/LCD, I might suggest you think about what it is about that panel that you would like to improve upon with a new TV and post those desires here. In addition, you should give an idea of the screen size you are looking for and the budget you have to spend.

As an example, the F8500 costs $1800 for 51", $2400 for 60" and $3100 for 64", so if any of those sizes at those prices are interesting to you, you might want to check out the F8500 at your local Best Buy. Based on what you have already indicated, I would probably suggest that the F8500 is the only plasma you might find suitable to your viewing requirements (or it's successor the F7000 due out later this year, but identical in terms of picture quality).

If your budget is below these levels or you are interested in higher resolutions like 4K and/or larger panel sizes than 64", LED/LCD will probably be your only option this year and you might want to have a look a the Vizio's 2014 lineup of full array local dimming (FALD) LED/LCDs (the best kind of backlight for improved contrast and dark level performance):

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/24381825/vizio-announces-2014-e-series-and-m-series-hdtv-collections-featuring-best-in-class-picture-quality-with-advanced-local-dimming-and-full-array-led

http://store.vizio.com/news/vizio-announces-pricing-for-best-in-class-p-series-ultra-hd-full-array-led-smart-tv
Edited by fafrd - 3/8/14 at 4:58pm
post #1435 of 1440

I'm not looking for a whole lot here. Compared to our current 46" Samsung LCD (LN46 A650A1 FXZA) I mostly want something bigger. These days a 46" set from a viewing distance of around 13 feet just doesn't seem to cut it. Back in 2008 when we got it (for $1,600) and set it right in front of us in our apartment, well, that was a different story.

 

Budget isn't much, the $1,100-ish price point seems about right. In a few years after move to another house we can look into the next big thing, 4k, maybe 3D, maybe OLED, just have to see how technology advances. 

 

I hadn't even planned to upgrade the TV until after we moved, but as I start to thin about it (due to leaping in head first on audio improvements)...it's so small! Smart would be a nice addition I suppose.

 

Looking maybe at something like this:

 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60-34-class-60-34-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-hdtv/2160126.p?id=1219069799144&skuId=2160126#tab=overview

 

Samsung 60" FH6200 at $1,099 currently

post #1436 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

I'm not looking for a whole lot here. Compared to our current 46" Samsung LCD (LN46 A650A1 FXZA) I mostly want something bigger. These days a 46" set from a viewing distance of around 13 feet just doesn't seem to cut it. Back in 2008 when we got it (for $1,600) and set it right in front of us in our apartment, well, that was a different story.

Budget isn't much, the $1,100-ish price point seems about right. In a few years after move to another house we can look into the next big thing, 4k, maybe 3D, maybe OLED, just have to see how technology advances. 

I hadn't even planned to upgrade the TV until after we moved, but as I start to thin about it (due to leaping in head first on audio improvements)...it's so small! Smart would be a nice addition I suppose.

Looking maybe at something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60-34-class-60-34-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-hdtv/2160126.p?id=1219069799144&skuId=2160126#tab=overview

Samsung 60" FH6200 at $1,099 currently

Couple points - first is, if you are pretty much settled on another LED/LCD, it would probably be more appropriate for you to post your questions in the LCD Forum. There is a 'Help me choose a new LCD' thread for exactly that purpose: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1230050/the-help-me-choose-an-lcd-thread

second is that I don't know anything about that Samsung panel (though it is almost certainly edge-lit)

and the third is, if you are looking for a 60" LED/LCD for below $1100, you might want to check out the VIzio 2014 E Series ($900 for 60") and 2014 M Series ($1200 for 60")

The 2013 Vizio M Series has also received generally positive reviews and is expected to be discounted soon in anticipation of the launch of the 2014 Models. It is edge-lit like your Samsung (whereas the 2014 Vizios all have full array local dimming backlights) and also supports 3D (the 2014 Vizio's do not) - the 60" has an MSRP of $1400 but discounts bringing the price close to your budget are expected once the 2014 M Series launches in a month or two...

Also, if you have a Costco near you, they generally have TVs in your size and price range on display, including the Vizios, Samsungs, Sharps and others...
post #1437 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post


As an example, the F8500 costs $1800 for 55", $2400 for 60" and $3100 for 64", so if any of those sizes at those prices are interesting to you....

Good post but one correction. No 55" size in the Samsung lineup, it's 51". As I'm sure you're well aware, Panasonic was the brand offering 55" plasma models.
post #1438 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post


As an example, the F8500 costs $1800 for 55", $2400 for 60" and $3100 for 64", so if any of those sizes at those prices are interesting to you....

Good post but one correction. No 55" size in the Samsung lineup, it's 51". As I'm sure you're well aware, Panasonic was the brand offering 55" plasma models.

Yikes - I just check and you are right: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN51F8500-51-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00BCPGOD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394326656&sr=1-1&keywords=F8500

I guess I'm just so used to 55" being the size below 60" that my brain just pattern-matched without actually reading the spec - thanks for the catch (and I corrected the original post).
post #1439 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

I'm noticing that the stickies on this sight/forum are almost all outdated.

Is there a current discussion, thread, FAQ, whatever, for LCD vs Plasma vs LED and all that?

I'm poking around and almost everything I see is 'officials owners of xyz123' threads that won't be of much help

If anyone is still interested, this link is one of the best I've seen comparing the two technologies.
With pictures to back up the claims.

http://blog.skalibrujtv.pl/en/2013/04/plazma-czy-led-lcd-w-2013-roku/

It looks to have been translated from a polish site & has a lot of broken English, but the comparisons & faults of both techs are very accurate.
post #1440 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

I'm not looking for a whole lot here. Compared to our current 46" Samsung LCD (LN46 A650A1 FXZA) I mostly want something bigger. These days a 46" set from a viewing distance of around 13 feet just doesn't seem to cut it. Back in 2008 when we got it (for $1,600) and set it right in front of us in our apartment, well, that was a different story.

Budget isn't much, the $1,100-ish price point seems about right. In a few years after move to another house we can look into the next big thing, 4k, maybe 3D, maybe OLED, just have to see how technology advances. 

I hadn't even planned to upgrade the TV until after we moved, but as I start to thin about it (due to leaping in head first on audio improvements)...it's so small! Smart would be a nice addition I suppose.

Looking maybe at something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-60-34-class-60-34-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-hdtv/2160126.p?id=1219069799144&skuId=2160126#tab=overview

Samsung 60" FH6200 at $1,099 currently

I recently bought a samsung 55F6300. good tv. Reviews state it has some of the most accurate colors in its category, but black levels are weaker than the vizio m series.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please