or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please - Page 11

post #301 of 1440
Hi all. Ok, I currently have a 27" Sony Trinitron CRT that has served me well for 11 years, but I bought a townhouse and I have an awesome Paradigm home audio setup.. and well a 27" TV sucks for that It's like watching the most amazing sounding concert on a video iPod.

So I have decided I need a new TV. I would like something between 42" and 46"... I think 50" would be too big for my living room. I will be sitting 11.5 feet away.

I went to BB and FS to look at TV's and I will first quash the possibility of DLP. There is absolutely no comparison of DLP vs LCD or Plasma, IMO. Looking at them all side by side I can't believe anyone even considers DLP, but I guess it is cheap. I don't like cheap though

Ok, so LCD vs. Plasma. Here are the points I am considering:

1) I want to use my TV for anything I want. I don't want to be restricted. But here's what I usually do:
- 25% Watch movies on standard DVD
- 60% Watch television
- 10% Play games on an xbox or xbox 360
- 5% Use Media Center / PC

It is important to note that I want my movie experience to be excellent. I don't care if I don't see perfect picture in Homer Simpson's face or Jerry Seinfeld's puffy shirt.

Of the TV time, I would say 50% will be SDTV, 50% HDTV. I am fortunate to live in Toronto where we have HD alternatives for nearly everything I want.

Also, you can bet I will be getting HD DVD and / or Blu Ray once the prices are reasonable. Again, movie experience is important to me. At the same time though my current DVD's have to look good too.

For games, I have a powerful PC with a 24" Dell LCD so a lot of games I play on it. the xbox 360 frankly would be more used for only a few games and as a media extender / PC. I am not a hardcore xbox gamer.

2) I may leave my TV on for no other reason than background noise. I also fall asleep in front of it sometimes. I have a real problem paying for something that can burn in, to me that is ridiculous. If the issues with burn in have been resolved for the most part then great! But if I want to leave my DVD on pause for an hour I should be allowed to. I can with my CRT so I should be able to with something that should be mature enough to have its problems fixed.

3) The room I am in has many windows and yes glare happens on my current TV but to be honest if glare is no worse on plasma than on CRT then I don't care. I've learned to shut blinds / live with it. Plus eventually my basement will be finished and whatever I get will be moved there.

4) I don't watch a lot of sports, I play them I do watch F1 I guess. Motion is really only a concern for me in movies then.


LCD's I have looked at the Sharp 46D82. Really the only one worth looking at. Full 1080p, 120 Hz refresh, 4ms, HDMI, etc. It's an awesome unit. Aside from Sony but Sony build quality and reliability in their consumer electronics in the last 5 years has gone straight in the toilet so I won't even look at them.

Plasma's I looked at a Panasonic and Pioneer. Mostly the Pioneer, 5070HD (the 42" version is the one I'd probably buy). Panasonic I looked at the TH42PX75.

Side by side, the Sharp 52D82 and the Pioneer 5070HD both look great. I can see a more natural look in the Pioneer but as far as the blurring of LCD's, the Sharp looks 90-95% as good as the Pioneer. You have to look really close to tell. 120Hz refresh looks to have helped a LOT.

Let me summarize my concerns:

1) Plasma's in the size I am looking at are 1024x768 which seems weak to me. Maybe I'm looking at specs too much but how can you get a really great HD picture on something like that? 1080p is a no show on plasma, but I wonder how much benefit that really is going to be in my scenario...

2) Burn in. Is this really still an issue now that plasma's have been out for like 8 years or something? If I leave my xbox game paused for an hour cause I get on the phone, I don't want an issue. If it goes away after a few mins, fine. Its permanent burn in that worries me. Especially in 4:3, the black bars. Fact is a lot of what I watch may have that and stretching isn't going to happen. Stretched 4:3 looks awful to me and drives me nuts.

3) Blacks. I want my movies to look great, are the blacks really that much better in Plasma? Am I going to suffer going to LCD? These new Sharp models are supposed to be much better at handling blacks...

4) Overall picture quality. Very important to me. Do the current LCD's match up really well with the plasma's? Or are they too 'aggressive' or harsh? Plasma's are smoother and more natural, I know, but is it by a LOT?

The real things keeping me from plasma are:
1) Reliability
2) Burn in (4:3 will be displayed as such, black bars will be on the TV for a while)
3) Picture quality for PC / Media Center / games
4) Crappy resolution (1080p is a no show, 1024x768), but does it even matter, or is it noticeable?

The real things concerning me about LCD are:
1) Blacks coming through in dark movies
2) Blurry motion, but not sure if its an issue in the new Sharps...

You can see my dilemma here. Perhaps I am asking too much from a TV but I don't buy these things often and I expect them to last a long time. I want future 'proof' (at least as future proof as possible). I have never seen these TV's outside of a store so I don't know what they are going to look like in my home. Wish I had both to try first... I am very skeptical of anything displayed at a store... very skeptical.

I would appreciate any feedback! Price is not a concern in this arena here, for what I am looking at LCD and plasma are priced very close, within $400 or so.

Thanks a lot!

-J
post #302 of 1440
Hi there,

My questions are the same as the last poster, but I am more hung up on 1080p (LCD), and blu-ray/hd-dvd, such that I am willing to give up the deeper blacks and color richness (vs color vividness) of the PLASMA. I'm less worried about the blurring with the 120hz refresh that the Sharp has, but its hard to really know until I watch at home.

I want to watch those 1920x1080 movies in full definition on a 50" set. At this point I am going LCD (Sharp LC52D82U), and can't justify moving to plasma and loosing the resolution with 1024x768. The larger set would seem to also encourage the higher resolution.

Am I crazy ? It seems like with the size (50" or so) I should be able to see a difference between the two when watching blu-ray or hd-dvd at say, 10' away. I also assume that some of the 1080i HD programming will look better. Any opinions ? The stores just don't give me enough side by side comparison of HDMI based blue-ray/hd-dvd content.

I also plan to play PS3, and watch equal amount of SD and HD cable content. But I want those movies to be the best.


Thanks!
post #303 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolik View Post

1)Plasma's in the size I am looking at are 1024x768 which seems weak to me. Maybe I'm looking at specs too much but how can you get a really great HD picture on something like that?

4) Overall picture quality. Very important to me.

Wow, it sounds like you really haven't seen anything at all. Good source material on a good 768 rez plasma is un-freakin' believable. I blow peeps away with stuff like Planet Earth and some of the(finally)OAR HD movies from HBO, HDNet, etc.

Picture quality? IMO, plasma all the way.

Burn in? If you really think you'll have an image frozen on your display for hours at a time, look at a display that has a screen saver. Mine does.

You're best bet would be to try and find some places to really get a good look at both, like friends. Surely you know a few that have both types of displays.

I have yet to see an image in a department store that impressed me. You need to be able to sit down and take some time viewing, hopefully in a light controlled environment with some quality source material

Hope that helps.

Chris
post #304 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLAY View Post

Wow, it sounds like you really haven't seen anything at all. Good source material on a good 768 rez plasma is un-freakin' believable. I blow peeps away with stuff like Planet Earth and some of the(finally)OAR HD movies from HBO, HDNet, etc.

Picture quality? IMO, plasma all the way.

Burn in? If you really think you'll have an image frozen on your display for hours at a time, look at a display that has a screen saver. Mine does.

You're best bet would be to try and find some places to really get a good look at both, like friends. Surely you know a few that have both types of displays.

I have yet to see an image in a department store that impressed me. You need to be able to sit down and take some time viewing, hopefully in a light controlled environment with some quality source material

Hope that helps.

Chris

No department store images I do take with a grain of salt. Frankly everyone I know has LCD, not plasma, as they want a plug-and-forget screen that they know they won't have issues with no matter what is left frozen. I think what I may also do is go to a place that has home theatre setups and view the screens there. BB and FS are just assaulting the screens with fluorescent light and poor signal.

-J
post #305 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolik View Post

No department store images I do take with a grain of salt. Frankly everyone I know has LCD, not plasma, as they want a plug-and-forget screen that they know they won't have issues with no matter what is left frozen. I think what I may also do is go to a place that has home theatre setups and view the screens there. BB and FS are just assaulting the screens with fluorescent light and poor signal.

-J

It depends we're you're at. The Best Buy in my area (NY) had a pretty good setup, especially the Magnolia Theater area. I was very surprised because my previous experiences have been pretty much the same as yours. The Magnolia Theater has mostly larger plasma screens but the other area outside the Magnolia Theater had a mix of plasma and LCD, side by side. The room conditions were much better in terms of lighting and they had Planet Earth showing on all their screens.
post #306 of 1440
Just bought my first HDTV after much reading and looking for deals.. new roommate wanted to get digital cable with HD so I took the plunge. Found a great deal on an Olevia 432V LCD HDTV.

So far:

1. It's true, SD looks crappy on an HDTV. My brothers both bought projection HDTVs a couple of years ago and have the same problem. My HD channels look great but a lot of SD channels look crappy. I guess you we just have to wait as more and more HD programming will become available and with the standard resolution for HD, these tvs should not become obsolete any time soon.

2. I went with LCD because I work in a data center where we display monitoring apps on 3 plasma screens. This runs off a pc with 3 video cards. Our old ones had very bad burn in. Dell gave us 3 42" plasmas last year as a perk for a very large deal. When we hooked them up we wrote a macro script which rotates the display to the next screen every five minutes. Within 3 days, they had burn in! So I will never go with Plasma.
post #307 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwellwhatever View Post

Just bought my first HDTV after much reading and looking for deals.. new roommate wanted to get digital cable with HD so I took the plunge. Found a great deal on an Olevia 432V LCD HDTV.

So far:

1. It's true, SD looks crappy on an HDTV. My brothers both bought projection HDTVs a couple of years ago and have the same problem. My HD channels look great but a lot of SD channels look crappy. I guess you we just have to wait as more and more HD programming will become available and with the standard resolution for HD, these tvs should not become obsolete any time soon.

SD can look great on a HDTV as long as the set has a good video processor and the input signal is decent. I have a JVC LCD and the SD on my set is nearly DVD quality. What type connection do you have from the cable box to the tv? Have you tried different types of cables?
post #308 of 1440
I had only very basic cable until yesterday, got the set last weekend. First I just connected the coax and it picked up a bunch of local HD channels. Some SD looked all right but a lot didn't look great.
I got Comcast digital cable with HD yesterday, same story. From their box I'm running component. I may try tweaking the ratio setting on their box, haven't had time to play much with it yet.
Only other thing to try, though they said my signal strength was good, is to remove the splitter on the coax to the Comcast tuner box because my cable modem is also running off that outlet. I doubt that will make any difference though.
post #309 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlobo View Post

SD can look great on a HDTV as long as the set has a good video processor and the input signal is decent. I have a JVC LCD and the SD on my set is nearly DVD quality. What type connection do you have from the cable box to the tv? Have you tried different types of cables?

What size and model JVC do you have?

Chris
post #310 of 1440
I have a 40" LT-40FH96. The folks with the 46"ers also seem happy with their sets as well.
post #311 of 1440
I'm not a fan boy of Samsung but I choose between the 42" or 50" Samsung 64 series plasma or 40" or 46" Samsung 65 series LCD. Whenever I'm in Best Buy or CC the PQ of the Samsung is outstanding. Don't get the Sharp I heard many problems with the screen. If I have to make a decision I'll go with the Plasma it's cheaper in price, produce deeper blacks, no motion lag, pro filter tech reduce glare and pixel shift reduce or eliminates burn in but con is that it's not 1080p.


Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolik View Post

Hi all. Ok, I currently have a 27" Sony Trinitron CRT that has served me well for 11 years, but I bought a townhouse and I have an awesome Paradigm home audio setup.. and well a 27" TV sucks for that It's like watching the most amazing sounding concert on a video iPod.

So I have decided I need a new TV. I would like something between 42" and 46"... I think 50" would be too big for my living room. I will be sitting 11.5 feet away.

I went to BB and FS to look at TV's and I will first quash the possibility of DLP. There is absolutely no comparison of DLP vs LCD or Plasma, IMO. Looking at them all side by side I can't believe anyone even considers DLP, but I guess it is cheap. I don't like cheap though

Ok, so LCD vs. Plasma. Here are the points I am considering:

1) I want to use my TV for anything I want. I don't want to be restricted. But here's what I usually do:
- 25% Watch movies on standard DVD
- 60% Watch television
- 10% Play games on an xbox or xbox 360
- 5% Use Media Center / PC

It is important to note that I want my movie experience to be excellent. I don't care if I don't see perfect picture in Homer Simpson's face or Jerry Seinfeld's puffy shirt.

Of the TV time, I would say 50% will be SDTV, 50% HDTV. I am fortunate to live in Toronto where we have HD alternatives for nearly everything I want.

Also, you can bet I will be getting HD DVD and / or Blu Ray once the prices are reasonable. Again, movie experience is important to me. At the same time though my current DVD's have to look good too.

For games, I have a powerful PC with a 24" Dell LCD so a lot of games I play on it. the xbox 360 frankly would be more used for only a few games and as a media extender / PC. I am not a hardcore xbox gamer.

2) I may leave my TV on for no other reason than background noise. I also fall asleep in front of it sometimes. I have a real problem paying for something that can burn in, to me that is ridiculous. If the issues with burn in have been resolved for the most part then great! But if I want to leave my DVD on pause for an hour I should be allowed to. I can with my CRT so I should be able to with something that should be mature enough to have its problems fixed.

3) The room I am in has many windows and yes glare happens on my current TV but to be honest if glare is no worse on plasma than on CRT then I don't care. I've learned to shut blinds / live with it. Plus eventually my basement will be finished and whatever I get will be moved there.

4) I don't watch a lot of sports, I play them I do watch F1 I guess. Motion is really only a concern for me in movies then.


LCD's I have looked at the Sharp 46D82. Really the only one worth looking at. Full 1080p, 120 Hz refresh, 4ms, HDMI, etc. It's an awesome unit. Aside from Sony but Sony build quality and reliability in their consumer electronics in the last 5 years has gone straight in the toilet so I won't even look at them.

Plasma's I looked at a Panasonic and Pioneer. Mostly the Pioneer, 5070HD (the 42" version is the one I'd probably buy). Panasonic I looked at the TH42PX75.

Side by side, the Sharp 52D82 and the Pioneer 5070HD both look great. I can see a more natural look in the Pioneer but as far as the blurring of LCD's, the Sharp looks 90-95% as good as the Pioneer. You have to look really close to tell. 120Hz refresh looks to have helped a LOT.

Let me summarize my concerns:

1) Plasma's in the size I am looking at are 1024x768 which seems weak to me. Maybe I'm looking at specs too much but how can you get a really great HD picture on something like that? 1080p is a no show on plasma, but I wonder how much benefit that really is going to be in my scenario...

2) Burn in. Is this really still an issue now that plasma's have been out for like 8 years or something? If I leave my xbox game paused for an hour cause I get on the phone, I don't want an issue. If it goes away after a few mins, fine. Its permanent burn in that worries me. Especially in 4:3, the black bars. Fact is a lot of what I watch may have that and stretching isn't going to happen. Stretched 4:3 looks awful to me and drives me nuts.

3) Blacks. I want my movies to look great, are the blacks really that much better in Plasma? Am I going to suffer going to LCD? These new Sharp models are supposed to be much better at handling blacks...

4) Overall picture quality. Very important to me. Do the current LCD's match up really well with the plasma's? Or are they too 'aggressive' or harsh? Plasma's are smoother and more natural, I know, but is it by a LOT?

The real things keeping me from plasma are:
1) Reliability
2) Burn in (4:3 will be displayed as such, black bars will be on the TV for a while)
3) Picture quality for PC / Media Center / games
4) Crappy resolution (1080p is a no show, 1024x768), but does it even matter, or is it noticeable?

The real things concerning me about LCD are:
1) Blacks coming through in dark movies
2) Blurry motion, but not sure if its an issue in the new Sharps...

You can see my dilemma here. Perhaps I am asking too much from a TV but I don't buy these things often and I expect them to last a long time. I want future 'proof' (at least as future proof as possible). I have never seen these TV's outside of a store so I don't know what they are going to look like in my home. Wish I had both to try first... I am very skeptical of anything displayed at a store... very skeptical.

I would appreciate any feedback! Price is not a concern in this arena here, for what I am looking at LCD and plasma are priced very close, within $400 or so.

Thanks a lot!

-J
post #312 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2727dude View Post

can't justify moving to plasma and loosing the resolution with 1024x768. The larger set would seem to also encourage the higher resolution.

It looks like that may not be an issue in September for plasma from Pioneer.


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=845246
post #313 of 1440
post #314 of 1440
ok well my first post, but been reading alot on here though lately.

I had a vizio P50hd plasma that I bought back in early 06 from costco. Well after seeing a new LG that a buddy got (plasma) I relized that the PQ of the then awesome to me, vizio is not what I had remembered. So I returned it to costco a few days ago.

I had Time Warner cable and full HD packages. HDMI cable direct to the TV from cable box, as well as a component to a AV reciever, along with the DVD and PC components, then HQ componets to the TV also.

costco had the Sharp LC-60C46U full 1080P LCD at a great price and figured I wold just throw in the few hundred more for what was said to be a better PQ and unit.

I got it home and hung it on the wall with all the same equipment as the Vizio had. What a POS was my first thought, after watching ESPNHD. The NBA playoffs were on in HD and any fast motion was Horrible! Agonizing to watch. The 720P Vizio was Significantly better PQ on fast motion!

Then I played a past recording (HDDVR) of Korn live. Again me and my buddy said to eachother, "wow what a POS".. Horrible..

Took it off the wall and returned it to costco that night.

SO If you ask me which is better?

Plasma all the way. 720p even over the 1080i !

I went today though and bought the Hitachi 1080i Plasma 50". Will hook that up tonight and see how I like that unit later. I think I will like it much more then the Vizio even.

I dont know why, or if its just me but... Every LCD I have Ever watched, on any fast motion has been crap PQ? Is that the norm? Or just my luck?
post #315 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_laurali View Post

I got it home and hung it on the wall with all the same equipment as the Vizio had. What a POS was my first thought, after watching ESPNHD. The NBA playoffs were on in HD and any fast motion was Horrible! Agonizing to watch. The 720P Vizio was Significantly better PQ on fast motion!

This would be strange. The 720p/1080i argument is not really over the display resolution but the signal. A 720p input to a 1080p display should not have any more motion blur than 720p input to a 768p display. The only thing a 1080p set does with a 720p signal is scale - it does not discard frames etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_laurali View Post

I dont know why, or if its just me but... Every LCD I have Ever watched, on any fast motion has been crap PQ? Is that the norm? Or just my luck?

It could be you............or you could have just been unlucky with your purchases. The majority of folks don't seem to notice motion blur (yes, some exists on even the fastest LCDs) - evidence of this can be seen in the market place where LCDs are outselling plasmas.
post #316 of 1440
Quote:

If you are Australian. LOL!!! I am sure you are familiar with this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=832903 PDPs continue to lose market share.
post #317 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpanel View Post

It looks like that may not be an issue in September for plasma from Pioneer.


http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=845246

It looks like they will need the help. "Plasma TV Takes Pioneer Down" posted 5/14/07 http://www.smarthouse.com.au/TVs_And...lasma/M8J9W3U8 Of course this article was written in Australia
post #318 of 1440
I'm also in the market for a new set and have done a lot of searching at the stores, personally, plasma sets I find completely underwhelming (can't put a finger on it as to why but I've looked at more than I can count including the new samsung FP-T6374 and it can't hold my attention always pulled to the LCD's for picture quality). Problem with LCD's is that like the plasmas they are just so small (<65" or so). which at this point is making me look at the DLP's (like the HLT7288W when it comes out next month) even though I don't really care for the picture it has close to the minimum size I was looking for. (yes I've looked at front projection, don't care for that reminds me too much of slide viewing and would make me fall asleep in seconds).
post #319 of 1440
Hi. I currently own a 37" Sharp Aquos - beautiful - HD is stunning. But I still need a 50" or bigger for football this Sept. I was in best buy (Winnipeg, Canada) the other day and noticed two anomolies I can't explain - hoping someone might have some thoughts:

1) Seems the LCD are outnumbering the plasma's in the 42 + range - are plasma's going to be like dinausaurs sooner than later? (I realize both will be fossils in due course);

2) LCD's bio's are fixated on 1080i or 1080p whereas on the plasma's they never make that distinction? Yet they quote the resolution which corresponds to a 1080i resolution? Is 1080p not possible on a plasma? And if so if 1080p is the "next wave" why would you buy plasma??

Thanks.
post #320 of 1440
1080p is possible, and exists, on plasma. 1080i is the imput signal - not the display resolution. Flat panels are progressive displays and are incapable of displaying 1080i.
post #321 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmlobo View Post

1080p is possible, and exists, on plasma. 1080i is the imput signal - not the display resolution. Flat panels are progressive displays and are incapable of displaying 1080i.


ARE YOU SURE OF THAT??


Hitachi 1080I 50PD9800TA PLASMA is avail at most circuit citys and best buy as well as others.
post #322 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_laurali View Post

ARE YOU SURE OF THAT??


Hitachi 1080I 50PD9800TA PLASMA is avail at most circuit citys and best buy as well as others.

I think this may be the ONLY flat panel TV in the world that does 1080i by using ALIS video tech. No other mfg'er that I am aware is using the ALIS for making their display panels. I'm surprised Hitachi has not abandoned this outdated & obselete process.
post #323 of 1440
new to the forum.

i want to buy a TV within the next two weeks, and have really narrowed it down to the samsung LN-T4665F or the panasonic TH50PZ700U. i know the 750U is coming out soon, but i don't see myself needing the couple extra features.

what i will be watching mostly is cable (both standard def and HD) and upconverted DVDs with the oppo DV-981HD. planning on getting a bluray or HD-DVD in the next year or so.

which TV will:

1) give me better PQ on a) standard definition programming (which, unfortunatly, is still the majority available) b) HD programming? c) upconverted DVDs? d) bluray or HD-DVD?

2) perform better with minimal calibration? not sure i have the time or money to go through with an ISF calibration - will any of the two sets be easier to calibrate by myself, with help from this forum, a DVD, or something else? any tips?

thanks for your help.
post #324 of 1440
New here, hi all.

Besides the picture characteristics and burn-in issues, are there any physical durability differences between the two types?
I move a lot (change apartments, etc.), thus I need a tv that won't be messed up when I drive it in a van or a SUV to my new apartment.

When I had a 26" and 32" in flat panels, I used to be able to keep all my boxes, but with a planned purchase of a 46"~50" unit soon, I am getting worried that the size of the box will get too big for me to keep, and come back to bite me when I move again.

I heard some concerns with plasmas on this issue, that the plasma cells are delicate and very susceptible to damage when it is jolted or shocked. Is this true? Is this something that should worry me?
post #325 of 1440
Plasma cells aren't considered delicate. Both LCD and Plasma are as durable as the other. One thing to keep from damaging either type in transport is to ship them vertical so that there is not unneeded stress placed on the glass panel.

If you can't keep the box in your apartment, find a friend or family member that will let you keep the box and packaging in their attic. Worth the piece of mind when you go to move again.
post #326 of 1440
Unless you plan to use your Tv as a computer screen I would go with Plasma. The picture is more life like, they now have anti glare coating and they don't suffer from motion blur.

"For sports lovers, a plasma screen is the ideal choice due to its fast motion response.
If you're watching a racing car zooming around the track, or a tennis ball flying through the air, it will be crisp and clear with no blur on a Plasma," said Paul Reid, Director, Consumer Electronics Group, Panasonic.
.
post #327 of 1440
Does anybody know what XBR stands for??????
post #328 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccitychico View Post

Does anybody know what XBR stands for??????

It's an acronym for eXtended Bit Rate. You can read what little info they have on it on Wikipedia if you'd like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBR_%28Sony%29.
post #329 of 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario888 View Post

Unless you plan to use your Tv as a computer screen I would go with Plasma. The picture is more life like, they now have anti glare coating and they don't suffer from motion blur.

"For sports lovers, a plasma screen is the ideal choice due to its fast motion response.
If you're watching a racing car zooming around the track, or a tennis ball flying through the air, it will be crisp and clear with no blur on a Plasma," said Paul Reid, Director, Consumer Electronics Group, Panasonic.
.


I would now disagree with Mario888 since Sony is introducing their new 52XBR/4 with 120hz, basically rendering the motion a "non-factor" when is comes to moving objects.
post #330 of 1440
Did any of you read that article in the Los Angeles Times that has been posted on the front page of this site.

Talk about a bias point of view.

I would hope Plasmas would get a fair shake in an article like that, but I guess the author has some serious LCD bias.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Flat Panels General and OLED Technology › LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please