or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Wolf Creek Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wolf Creek Review

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone, apologies if it's been posted but we were surprised when a copy of Wolf Creek on HD DVD arrived with us early for review. Here's the results:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63483
post #2 of 38
Just finished watching it and don't agree with the 7/10 video rating at all. Way too nit-picking of a review for my tastes. If this is a 7, then what's an 8-10 look like or what's a turd HD-DVD get rated? -2? It's shot in 1080p HD and you get what's been filmed basically as far as I can tell. Only issues I saw were of the airplane shot at the end. No big deal really. I'd give it a bottom tier1 and a 9/10. The shots of the outback looked great. Rent it and judge for yourself.

My problem isn't with the PQ, it's with the movie. I can't stand when the victims are idiots. I don't want to give anything away, but how dumb can these girls be? It just makes me hope they get killed at that point. I don't know, maybe that's what the writer wants from the audience. I don't mind helpless, but stupid makes me glad that the gene-pool has a lifeguard in this flick.
post #3 of 38
Hmm, no authoring errors reported, that's great!

JoshZ, did you get a copy? I know you're out there reading this!
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagMan View Post

JoshZ, did you get a copy?

Nope.
post #5 of 38
This movie was very predictable so I won't be getting it in HD after viewing the SD version...
post #6 of 38
I couldn't get my copy of this to play.
post #7 of 38
I really liked this movie and I thought the SD disc had fantastic picture quality.....I can't wait to see it on HD.
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post

Nope.

Well crapola, more problems.

Especially for all the HD-A1 owners like me.

Well, at least the title played ok!
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post

I really liked this movie and I thought the SD disc had fantastic picture quality.....I can't wait to see it on HD.

I agree! The (up-converted) SD disc looked to be of reference quality (IMHO) So much so I may not replace it w/ the HD-DVD version. (plus I don't really care to see the film again any time soon)
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Just finished watching it and don't agree with the 7/10 video rating at all. Way too nit-picking of a review for my tastes. If this is a 7, then what's an 8-10 look like or what's a turd HD-DVD get rated? -2? It's shot in 1080p HD and you get what's been filmed basically as far as I can tell. Only issues I saw were of the airplane shot at the end. No big deal really. I'd give it a bottom tier1 and a 9/10. The shots of the outback looked great. Rent it and judge for yourself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of a review for the reviewer to record what he sees? In that regard, I personally would expect a review to be "nit-picking", as you put it. I'm not in the business of writing "Yeah there are problems but I don't want to nitpick - 9/10!!!!!11~~ LOL" reports. Sorry if that disappoints you.

And since you asked, a 10/10 in my book would be Serenity or Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, a 9 would be Corpse Bride or The Bourne Supremacy, and an 8 would be V for Vendetta, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or Sleepy Hollow.
post #11 of 38
The problem with this movie is, when you kill off the only mildly interesting character, the audience gives up on the film. I turned it off 3/4 of the way through.
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiggles View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of a review for the reviewer to record what he sees? In that regard, I personally would expect a review to be "nit-picking", as you put it. I'm not in the business of writing "Yeah there are problems but I don't want to nitpick - 9/10!!!!!11~~ LOL" reports. Sorry if that disappoints you.

And since you asked, a 10/10 in my book would be Serenity or Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, a 9 would be Corpse Bride or The Bourne Supremacy, and an 8 would be V for Vendetta, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or Sleepy Hollow.

I agree that a review should point out issues, etc. However, by the same token, since the review is supposed to carry some weight, the reviewer better be damn sure about what they write and their ratings. 7/10 is too low of a score IMHO. So, yes, that's nit-picking or whatever the hell you want to call it, but it's not accurate.

And no, the 7/10 rating doesn't disappoint me at all. Netflix is a fixed cost per month, so bring 'em on regardless of whatever a reviewer says. I'm the only judge that matters (not counting the Big Guy). However, the low rating may give someone the wrong impression of this disk and cause them to avoid it based on poor PQ. My post was meant as another view for those interested in the title. It wasn't meant to pick on the reviewer. Besides, a critic should be able to take criticism as well as dish it out.

I agree that CB is a 10/10. Same for KK. Again, IMHO, this title is no worse then Serenity, V4V, or F&LiLV, which are all tier1 titles I believe and which I consider high PQ. That makes it at LEAST an 8.5/10 in my book, probably a 9. I'm sitcky to my story, a 7 is too low.

BTW, the US version of Serenity is not better than Corpse Bride, which is one of the top two or three titles on this board.
post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

I agree that a review should point out issues, etc. However, by the same token, since the review is supposed to carry some weight, the reviewer better be damn sure about what they write and their ratings. 7/10 is too low of a score IMHO. So, yes, that's nit-picking or whatever the hell you want to call it, but it's not accurate.

And no, the 7/10 rating doesn't disappoint me at all. Netflix is a fixed cost per month, so bring 'em on regardless of whatever a reviewer says. I'm the only judge that matters (not counting the Big Guy). However, the low rating may give someone the wrong impression of this disk and cause them to avoid it based on poor PQ. My post was meant as another view for those interested in the title. It wasn't meant to pick on the reviewer. Besides, a critic should be able to take criticism as well as dish it out.

I agree that CB is a 10/10. Same for KK. Again, IMHO, this title is no worse then Serenity, V4V, or F&LiLV, which are all tier1 titles I believe and which I consider high PQ. That makes it at LEAST an 8.5/10 in my book, probably a 9. I'm sitcky to my story, a 7 is too low.

BTW, the US version of Serenity is not better than Corpse Bride, which is one of the top two or three titles on this board.

Well, like I said, I can only report on what I see, which, in these instances, do not agree with your opinions. Look around at the various reviews for any number of titles and I sincerely doubt that you'll find them all in complete agreement. As it happens, I am "damn sure about I write and my ratings". I trust my own eyes far more than the general AVS Forum "tier" list (not that I have anything against that list - it's very interesting for getting a broad feel for the image quality of each title, but it's certainly not infallible, and judging by the criteria, the tiering seems to be based at least partially around how "3D" the image looks), and, when the same issues are reproducible on more than one display, I can confidently state that they are not being caused by my viewing equipment.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, by the way, is an excellent-looking disc (a solid 8 on my scale) and a vast improvement on the Criterion DVD. It is, however, loaded with edge enhancement. As such, there is no way that this title can be a "Tier 1" affair. And as for Corpse Bride, it would have been a 10 were it not for some minor instances of artefacting in the backgrounds of a handful of shots. Serenity (UK version; the US transfer is just a hair behind it) remains the most detailed, most filmlike, most downright impressive presentation I've ever seen of a film on a home video format to date.
post #14 of 38
Fair enough. Trusting your owns eyes is all that matters. That's pretty much what I've been saying too really. The good thing is that HD-DVD has pushed the scale way up compared to what we've had with LD, DVD, etc. A 7/10 still blows away the old sources.

Have you seen The Hulk yet? I have to move it to the top of my PQ list, just edging out KK and CB. I'll be look for your review in the future. I'll be very surprised if you don't give it very high marks.
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

The problem with this movie is, when you kill off the only mildly interesting character, the audience gives up on the film. I turned it off 3/4 of the way through.


OUCH talk about a spoiler. I agree though. I trudged through the ending but I'll never have a desire to watch it again.
post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Fair enough. Trusting your owns eyes is all that matters. That's pretty much what I've been saying too really. The good thing is that HD-DVD has pushed the scale way up compared to what we've had with LD, DVD, etc. A 7/10 still blows away the old sources.

Have you seen The Hulk yet? I have to move it to the top of my PQ list, just edging out KK and CB. I'll be look for your review in the future. I'll be very surprised if you don't give it very high marks.

I totally agree - and I think perhaps that one of the reasons I'm being quite harsh in my ratings is that this really is a completely different scale from DVD. My rough rule of thumb is that a 1/10 HD disc would be one that looks just the same as its standard definition counterpart.

I've not seen Hulk yet, and to be honest I'm not sure I wanted to. If a copy for review came my way I certainly wouldn't turn it down, but it's not the sort of thing I'd rush out to buy. At the moment, no studios are actually sending us copies for review, so if something gets covered, it's either because it's something I already bought myself, or else a title that was paid for as part of the limited monthly budget we get from a couple of suppliers (and, given the comparatively low interest in HD compared to DVD, I can really only get one title per month this way).
post #17 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:


Just finished watching it and don't agree with the 7/10 video rating at all. Way too nit-picking of a review for my tastes. If this is a 7, then what's an 8-10 look like

Well, you say "nit-picking", I say "high standards". That is after all the whole point of HD DVD.

Quote:


or what's a turd HD-DVD get rated? -2?

We don't review into the negative figures so no. It's hard to tell, the least impressive we've seen so far has been Tomb Raider which got a 6.
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiggles View Post

I've not seen Hulk yet, and to be honest I'm not sure I wanted to. If a copy for review came my way I certainly wouldn't turn it down, but it's not the sort of thing I'd rush out to buy.

Well, FWIW "Hulk" is a much better film than "Wolf Creek" (IMO of course). Both transfers are exceptional.
post #19 of 38
I like this movie and both the SD DVD and HD DVD do an exceptional job with their respecitive medium at reproducing (i.e. a reference ) the digital master. Watching the HD-DVD last night was the first time I, too, noticed the issue with the plane at the end. And I really don't care what others "rate it".

And, I thought the disc was taking a long time to start so I hit stop and then play and the disc played fine after. I was worried for second and just now read about the issues with the disc.

larry
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post


My problem isn't with the PQ, it's with the movie. I can't stand when the victims are idiots. I don't want to give anything away, but how dumb can these girls be? It just makes me hope they get killed at that point. I don't know, maybe that's what the writer wants from the audience. I don't mind helpless, but stupid makes me glad that the gene-pool has a lifeguard in this flick.

Agree. That scene where she could have finished the psycho off in the garage when he was down and out and she wanders off blithely with her friend is the height of idiocy, lunacy, and it was the time I made my commitment never to watch this piece or crap again.
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Agree. That scene where she could have finished the psycho off in the garage when he was down and out and she wanders off blithely with her friend is the height of idiocy, lunacy, and it was the time I made my commitment never to watch this piece or crap again.


We have entered the spoiler territory......












Giving the screenwriter the benefit of the doubt. Lizzie was obviously in shock. She's never handled a gun/rifle before. She shoots. And in essence a head shot to her.....he doesn't move when she beats him with the rifle. Her friend is screaming in her ear.....we have the benefit of knowing the run time and sitting in our livingrooms and not being involved in a real life rape and toture situation. "Blithely" would not describe how the character was reacting.

The fact they (liz and killer) were both picked the same car in the garge seemed too convenient.

As far a PQ quality, I thought it was outstanding as it should be shot in HD.
post #22 of 38
Never liked this movie from day 1.
post #23 of 38
Loved this movie.It looked amazing as well.
post #24 of 38
Since day one my Tosh. HD-A1 has problems with playing the disc...
post #25 of 38
Do people often say movies based on TRUE STORIES are predictable?

Shesh!!!

By the same token, was Titanic predictable? Or did you avoid any Modern History lessons or socially used expressions, so as the "ENDING" wasn't spoilt for you to?

Hope you didn't watch World Trade Centre or Flight 93 too!

How bout you research Bradley John Murdoch (and Ivan Milat perhaps as some characteristics are evident in the movie of him as well) and perhaps read "No turning back" by Joanne Lees.
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWhoElse View Post

Do people often say movies based on TRUE STORIES are predictable?

To be fair, saying that Wolf Creek is based on a true story is a bit of a stretch. The bulk of the events that take place in the film, including those that some people are calling predictable or stupid, could not possibly have been witnessed by the survivor and so are clearly fabricated.
post #27 of 38
Film itself wasn't great but the transfer was exceptional. A lot of 3D moments makes it worth seeing.
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeWhoElse View Post

Do people often say movies based on TRUE STORIES are predictable?

Shesh!!!

By the same token, was Titanic predictable? Or did you avoid any Modern History lessons or socially used expressions, so as the "ENDING" wasn't spoilt for you to?

Hope you didn't watch World Trade Centre or Flight 93 too!

How bout you research Bradley John Murdoch (and Ivan Milat perhaps as some characteristics are evident in the movie of him as well) and perhaps read "No turning back" by Joanne Lees.


Uh, this movie is about as "True" as "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", that is it say, it isn't.

It is very, very, VERY loosely based on the "Austrialian Backpack Killer". None of the events in the movie actually happened.

If you watch the "Making of" documentary on the disc, the writer even says that none of what takes place in the movie actually happened.
post #29 of 38
I love this movie and am blown away by the HD-DVD, I remember buying the DVD and saying I really hope this comes out in HD some day.

7/10 for PQ is total BS the reviewer needs his eyes checked, this transfer is easily 9/10 and borders on Tier 0, but probably realistically is high tier 1, Some of the landscape scenes were easily the best PQ I've ever seen on any HD source major 3d pop in those scenes.
post #30 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:


7/10 for PQ is total BS the reviewer needs his eyes checked,

No.

A 7/10 rating means "Very Good". I think this describes Wolf Creek on HD DVD very well. You are right in saying that the landscape scenes look excellent. I in fact noted this in the review.

Rather, it is the viewers that consistently and repeatedly abuse terms such as "Perfect" and "9/10" that need their eyes checked.

If you cannot stay objective when it comes to HD DVD image quality and are instead willing to say everything looks excellent and "even better than the SD DVD version!!!!", you have lost grip as to why the format exists in the first place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Wolf Creek Review