or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE! - Page 140

post #4171 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

How does he know it will work well since, as he says, they have not done it? 480i/30 -> 1080p/24 is not trivial.

Also the price is more than twice that of the Panasonic BD-35 and not that many care about the all-but-dead audio formats.

I know it works because I have one .
If a budget/cheap player that only does BR playback is what you need, the BDP-83 is not for you.
post #4172 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I know it works because I have one .
If a budget/cheap player that only does BR playback is what you need, the BDP-83 is not for you.

You're right, it's not for me because my DVDO VP-50 does better than any player ever could.
post #4173 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

You're right, it's not for me because my DVDO VP-50 does better than any player ever could.

The VP-50 is great, but it's not just scaling that makes the BDP-83 trump most other players. ...but, I digress as this is not the place for an extended discussion for this topic.
post #4174 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Playing back SD DVD at 24p is problematic for any player so do not expect it to work all that well.

I have to say most of my sd discs look great at 1080p/24fps, a few don't so then I just change the XA2 to 60fps.
post #4175 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

The VP-50 is great, but it's not just scaling that makes the BDP-83 trump most other players. ...but, I digress as this is not the place for an extended discussion for this topic.

There is a little thing called de-interlacing also.

Have you read your NDA lately?
post #4176 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

There is a little thing called de-interlacing also.

Have you read your NDA lately?

Deinterlacing is steller on this player. It's basically the same scaling and deinterlacing as what is in your VP-50.

Hey, there's only room for one Smarty-pants on this forum . I'm well aware of what my NDA does and doesn't prohibit me from discussing .
post #4177 of 4650
The de-interlacers and scalers in sources and displays are becoming so good these days it is all becoming less relevant anyway. The XA-2 or BD-35 is fine for most people. Players costing twice what they should and VPs are niche products.
post #4178 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

The de-interlacers and scalers in sources and displays are becoming so good these days it is all becoming less relevant anyway. The XA-2 or BD-35 is fine for most people. Players costing twice what they should and VPs are niche products.

Well Gary, who am I to say niche or no niche [/shrugshoulders].
I can tell you one thing though, this player will sell like hotcakes when it's released.
post #4179 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I can tell you one thing though, this player will sell like hotcakes when it's released.

I don't think anyone can know that esp,. in this economy.
post #4180 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I don't think anyone can know that esp,. in this economy.

We do know it to some extent. Oppo is going to do an Early Adoption Program soon, and potential buyers are already beating down the door (at least with emails and phone calls anyway).
post #4181 of 4650
Yeah, the operative words being Early Adopt...
post #4182 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Yeah, the operative words being Early Adopt...

At least they have a formal program for some people that would rather not wait. Not like the other companies that release products that are "final" and then us "early adopter" or "beta testers" find problems and maybe if the companies decide to they will fix them. Oppo customer service has always been top notch and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Same can't be said for most other companies. Oppo has people testing the unit now, not even started the early adoption yet. If more companies did this I think the consumer would greatly benefit. More people would be willing to buy and then prices would come down. People spending less money on some blu-ray players may find themselves with unplayable discs as they may not be able to get firmware updates for their units. So they may have an expensive doorstop instead of a bargain. Features aren't the only selling point, it's how a company will back their product. I bought the XA2 early as well as the Onkyo 905 both for big bucks. At least Toshiba finally got everything straight and I love my XA2. Onkyo is another matter. I'm not hesitating to go for the early adoption of the Oppo and I already have the Panasonic BD30. I don't play sd discs on the BD30, only on the XA2 due to a big difference in upconversion. This Oppo is going to upconvert as well as if not better than the XA2 so it is something I must have given the size of my sd collection. One never knows how long the XA2 will last but at least I have 2 of them.

Smarty-pants: that one off the cuff comment in the blu-ray software special buys thread is what clued me into this Oppo, thanks.
post #4183 of 4650
^Ummm... you're welcome.
The player is incredible. No cure for cancer, but incredible non_the_less.
post #4184 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

At least they have a formal program for some people that would rather not wait. Not like the other companies that release products that are "final" and then us "early adopter" or "beta testers" find problems and maybe if the companies decide to they will fix them.

If you think this is going to be different because of some formal program good luck with that. Consumers electronic products are computers and computers have bugs because they are programed by people. In 30 years of programming the closest thing I saw to bug free was the IBM mainframe operating system. I am a tester for the DVDO Edge. Many products have "formal programs" - nothing new there. Here is a clue from the link-

"Oppo says that their engineers are working overtime to provide BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live) and audio decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD by the time the release players will ship."

Ha! There will be bugs!
post #4185 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

If you think this is going to be different because of some formal program good luck with that. Consumers electronic products are computers and computers have bugs because they are programed by people. In 30 years of programming the closest thing I saw to bug free was the IBM mainframe operating system. I am a tester for the DVDO Edge. Many products have "formal programs" - nothing new there. Here is a clue from the link-

"Oppo says that their engineers are working overtime to provide BD Profile 2.0 (BD-Live) and audio decoding of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD by the time the release players will ship."

Ha! There will be bugs!

I'm not saying there may not be bugs, the difference is the desire and ability of the company to correct these bugs when they are found. The XA2 had a major bug that presented with the 2.8 firmware and for some time Toshiba said there wasn't a problem. I suppose it had a lot to do with the fact that it was about that time the HD-Blu-ray war was over. I can't tell you how many times I called about correcting it, emailed some people who knew some people, etc. So they corrected the problem, finally. Some might say they didn't need to since HD no longer in production, but it is a matter of customer service and backing their product. Blu-ray should be around for some time and people who are getting these cheaper units, some from well known companies, may be SOL when it comes to firmware updates. I'd rather pay more to have a company support a product then "save" money on something just because it is cheaper.
post #4186 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

I'm not saying there may not be bugs, the difference is the desire and ability of the company to correct these bugs when they are found.

Exactly. Of course there will be bugs. First of all, that's what the beta testers are for. ...and, IF any bugs arise in the final consumer product, Oppo will work diligently to fix it as soon as possible, not pass the buck or ignore it till the complaining customers just go away. This is why Oppo is known for their top notch customer service and support.
post #4187 of 4650
Has anyone found a Blue-Ray player that does SD Upconvert that is as good as the XA2. I know that somone will say to post this question in the BR forum, but I specifically want to know if any XA2 owners have found a BR player that they feel can touch the XA2 on upconvert.
thanks
post #4188 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

Has anyone found a Blue-Ray player that does SD Upconvert that is as good as the XA2. I know that somone will say to post this question in the BR forum, but I specifically want to know if any XA2 owners have found a BR player that they feel can touch the XA2 on upconvert.
thanks

Beta testers have reported the Oppo BDP-83 upconverts slightly better than the XA2. It uses an Anchor Bay video processor. It isn't available for purchase yet (unfortunately).
post #4189 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

Has anyone found a Blue-Ray player that does SD Upconvert that is as good as the XA2. I know that somone will say to post this question in the BR forum, but I specifically want to know if any XA2 owners have found a BR player that they feel can touch the XA2 on upconvert.
thanks

The Samsung BD-P2500/2550 reportedly has excellent SD upconverting since it uses the same Silicon Optix HQV video processor chipset. Available at many retailers and BB for $299 and up currently.
post #4190 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

. . . I have also capitulated. On Sunday, I went Blu. My new and very inexpensive Panny DMP-BD35 displays great and boots and responds much faster than the XA2.

What would you guys advise as the best way to offload my XA2? I have the impression people with large HD DVD collections are after them as backup hardware. (I have only a small HD DVD collection and am willing to write off the format here and now.) Will my return be worth my time if I sell the XA2 on eBay or craigslist? Or is it destined for the electronics recycler?

I recommend Amazon Marketplace . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneralDancer View Post

Anyone think $275 is a good price for a used XA2? Guy has had it for a year or so, used around 25 times . . .

. . . where, as of this typing, the least expensive of eight currently available decks is $340. So yes I think $275 is a good price. You've seen the ebullient comments here about it being the best HD DVD player made, so it has retained some value.
post #4191 of 4650
As Rush says, "Big Thank You's go around the world": thanks much to bakpakva, Humanoid1, Splotto, bweissman, miata, ihifi, brinyhenry and a few others for a discussion of XA2 fan noise issues starting around post 2672.

Got the XA2 in September 2007 (a July 2007 manuf date; built in China). Last night heretofore noticeable but tolerable fan noise became a roar upon turning on the deck. Googled around and found this thread; adjusted the tightness of the screws and the noise level has returned to previous levels. Hopefully this is a semi-permanent solution but if not, thanks to ihifi, I have model number info on what to possibly replace the fan with (something I've done before on my ancient PC).
post #4192 of 4650
how does the XA2's upconversion compare to the XDE? I've seen some posts saying the XA2 edges the XDE.. im just curious
I own the XDE and think its a sweet upconverter!
post #4193 of 4650
Wtf xde?
post #4194 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Wtf xde?

eXtended Detail Enhancement. Toshiba's last ditch effort to say upscaled DVD's are good enough to compete with BD's? That's my guess.
post #4195 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

eXtended Detail Enhancement. Toshiba's last ditch effort to say upscaled DVD's are good enough to compete with BD's? That's my guess.

dunno what some of the Tosh guys have been smoking... hehe.

does anyone know, though ?? How the XA2 VS XDE..
post #4196 of 4650
I think the XDE is just an upscaling DVD player that is comparative to the quality of the XA2. The XA2 was and still is one of the best at upscaling so it's marketed to the buyers that don't want to spend the $$ on HD and an outdated product.

Scott
post #4197 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuneralDancer View Post

dunno what some of the Tosh guys have been smoking... hehe.

does anyone know, though ?? How the XA2 VS XDE..

I had the XDE for about two weeks and I have two XA2's. The XDE's Sharp mode cleary outdoes the XA2. It really does do a great job of enchancing the pictures image, sometimes too good. I found that the XDE's modes resulted in some nasty things occuring in the image. For example, I played my old DVD of U-571, and in all of the XDE's enchancment modes, it brough out several nasty looking artifacts that looked like macroblocking. The XA2's image was steady as a rock with no artifacts presented. I also saw this on a few other DVD's that I have. So while the XDE does do a good job of bringing our far more detail than the XA2, it can also increase the image to be unnatural and cause artifacting. At the end of the day, I sent back the XDE and stayed with the XA2. Overall, I just found the XA2's image to be more natural and filmlike and am happy with my decision.
post #4198 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor74 View Post

I had the XDE for about two weeks and I have two XA2's. The XDE's Sharp mode cleary outdoes the XA2. It really does do a great job of enchancing the pictures image, sometimes too good. I found that the XDE's modes resulted in some nasty things occuring in the image. For example, I played my old DVD of U-571, and in all of the XDE's enchancment modes, it brough out several nasty looking artifacts that looked like macroblocking. The XA2's image was steady as a rock with no artifacts presented. I also saw this on a few other DVD's that I have. So while the XDE does do a good job of bringing our far more detail than the XA2, it can also increase the image to be unnatural and cause artifacting. At the end of the day, I sent back the XDE and stayed with the XA2. Overall, I just found the XA2's image to be more natural and filmlike and am happy with my decision.

Wow. No mention of an Oppo player in there. Seems like you are looking for the best PQ quality possible for SD. The ABT VRS in the Oppo DV-983H and the soon_to_be_released BDP-83 out-does the Reon in the XA2. The 983 is discontinued now, but you may be able to still find one somewhere.
post #4199 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Wow. No mention of an Oppo player in there.

A $500-$700 SD DVD player? No surprise.
post #4200 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

A $500-$700 SD DVD player? No surprise.

My new Samsung DLP TV replacing my Sony XBR4 supposedly does not do 5:5 pull down on 24fps material even though it is 120hz (the Sony does).

If anybody has done research on which TVs will do a true 5:5 pull down there is a wealth of conflicting and confusing information on the web. Even Samsung techs don't agree.

So...if my TV does conversion to 60hz of 24fps discs, is the 3:2 pulldown on the Toshiba a better way to go than my TV? That is to say the Toshiba has good marks in just about every category, but I don't recall reading how well it would do if set for 1080P/60hz with HD discs encoded with 24fps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE!