or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE! - Page 142

post #4231 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

I am the proud new owner of a brand new HD-XA2!
Should have it next week.

Just curious: where did you find a brand new (as in, unopened original retail box?) player?
post #4232 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Just curious: where did you find a brand new (as in, unopened original retail box?) player?

Yes do tell.
post #4233 of 4650
hehe... well I have an unopened XA2 and A35 in my basement.... just in case my current Dec 2006 build (Made in Japan) XA2 decides to kick the bucket
post #4234 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS View Post

hehe... well I have an unopened XA2 and A35 in my basement.... just in case my current Dec 2006 build (Made in Japan) XA2 decides to kick the bucket

What if they're defective? You won't know until after you open and test them. The XA2 is known to have the 1080p shutdown bug. I know I had 2 NIB XA2's from value electronics when they last sold them. One had the bug. Exchanging it (when Toshiba was fully stocked) was the only way to get a NIB replacement. I would constantly wonder about that, so I wouldn't be able to keep an unopened player.
post #4235 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

What if they're defective? You won't know until after you open and test them. The XA2 is known to have the 1080p shutdown bug. I know I had 2 NIB XA2's from value electronics when they last sold them. One had the bug. Exchanging it (when Toshiba was fully stocked) was the only way to get a NIB replacement. I would constantly wonder about that, so I wouldn't be able to keep an unopened player.

OK, so I opened both last night.

Updated both to most recent fw (through the Ethernet port)

Played several clips of different HD DVD titles.... not a sinle glitch

Repacked them and back in the basement under the section of the family room crawl space (house temperature and dry year round)

Now am wondering if I'll ever have to use them.... my original XA2 keeps pllaying flawlessly

Gman
post #4236 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Just curious: where did you find a brand new (as in, unopened original retail box?) player?


HeHe, thats going to cost you.
But seriously, it will be delivered tomorrow.
Should be brand new unopened retail box (non-refurb).
post #4237 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

HeHe, thats going to cost you.
But seriously, it will be delivered tomorrow.
Should be brand new unopened retail box (non-refurb).

Is it a state secret? Why? And if so, why are you posting (gloating?) about it . . . in a "owners"/users thread . . . that largely concerns player operational issues, not undisclosable sources of acquiring the player in the first place?

"But seriously," indeed.
post #4238 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Is it a state secret? Why? And if so, why are you posting (gloating?) about it . . . in a "owners"/users thread . . . that largely concerns player operational issues, not undisclosable sources of acquiring the player in the first place?

"But seriously," indeed.

Yes that was a strange response from qz3fwd...

I actually saw one on Craigslist about a week ago. I cannot remember what city but it did surprise me that it was listed as a NIB XA2 for a low price.
post #4239 of 4650
Dont get your panties bunched up-it was a joke.

I got it from Amazon and it arrived last night.
Havent opened it yet-that will be tonight after work.
post #4240 of 4650
I wear boxers, thanks.

Interesting that you got a New deck via Amazon Marketplace. I check those listings periodically (and sell various goodies through my Marketplace "store") and have never seen a listing for a New one, always Like New on down in quality. Congrats to you.
post #4241 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

I wear boxers, thanks.

Interesting that you got a New deck via Amazon Marketplace. I check those listings periodically (and sell various goodies through my Marketplace "store") and have never seen a listing for a New one, always Like New on down in quality. Congrats to you.

Kmart.com has one for $299 shipped.
post #4242 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Kmart.com has one for $299 shipped.

Thats an A2 not XA2
post #4243 of 4650
Thanks, Canary--was about to "say" . . . I'm not finding an XA2 at their site.
post #4244 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

I wear boxers, thanks.

Interesting that you got a New deck via Amazon Marketplace. I check those listings periodically (and sell various goodies through my Marketplace "store") and have never seen a listing for a New one, always Like New on down in quality. Congrats to you.

I've seen new XA2's show up there a few months back for over $1,100. Not a very reasonable price, but someone somewhere must think so I suppose. They seem to sell eventually.
post #4245 of 4650
Damn and I bought mine for 40 dollars at a swap meet. seems like I got a deal, when I though I was the one getting robbed
post #4246 of 4650
Just a quick update to say that I've had my XA2 for over a year now and it's been flawless. Mine was a refurb from Overstock. I've pretty much bought everything of even remote interest on HD-DVD and lately, those $5 Amazon deals have been hard to beat!

So I've compiled a nice HD library and the player is excellent. Good A/V value, I'd say.

PS: I do have a like-new A30 in a box for future, backup purposes. It works, too. I used it prior to getting the XA2.
post #4247 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by carledwards View Post

Just a quick update to say that I've had my XA2 for over a year now and it's been flawless. Mine was a refurb from Overstock. I've pretty much bought everything of even remote interest on HD-DVD and lately, those $5 Amazon deals have been hard to beat!

So I've compiled a nice HD library and the player is excellent. Good A/V value, I'd say.

PS: I do have a like-new A30 in a box for future, backup purposes. It works, too. I used it prior to getting the XA2.

Is there a special link to the Amazon $5 HD DVDs?
post #4248 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

Is there a special link to the Amazon $5 HD DVDs?

It's a seller through Amazon, shipping is through Amazon so you also get free shipping if you spend $25 or more. Here is the link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html...A2Q7JFWUPSYRTJ
post #4249 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Please, don't encourage more of these paranoid delusional conspiracy theories. In the extremely unlikely case he can dredge up something vaguely credible on the stupidity of Radio Shack, what does that have anything to do with Toshiba?

It's already been pointed out the supreme illogic of any manufacturer deliberately sabotaging their products. Would such a stupid strategy induce you to re-purchase their product?!

What exactly is the point of this off-topic march into fantasyland?

Larry

If I could continue off topic a bit more...

I wouldn't exactly call it a march into fantasyland. I had a microwave oven fail mysteriously on day 366 of a 365 day warranty. I don't even want to think about the odds of that happening as a result of parts malfunction. Instead, it goes by another name - 'planned obsolescence'.

As for sabotaging products... how about keeping the revenue stream rolling in. While this incident didn't keep me from purchasing another - same make and model - I did it more for finding out if it does it again. Since the microwave didn't cost me anything directly and was relatively inexpensive, I thought it would be an interesting observation if it does.

While I agree this pactice is not and should not be standard, or even acceptable behavior, or barely practiced, I would not put it past some less ethically inclined manufacturers in various parts of the world, stamping out consumer electronics. Plus, a "time-bomb" is very easy to trigger and would be very difficult to prove - short of taking the time to reverse engineer the firmware. Something even Consumer Reports is not likely to do. And, given these economically challenging times makes the practice at least more tempting.

Just my .02.

redjr...
post #4250 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

If I could continue off topic a bit more...

I wouldn't exactly call it a march into fantasyland. I had a microwave oven fail mysteriously on day 366 of a 365 day warranty. I don't even want to think about the odds of that happening as a result of parts malfunction. Instead, it goes by another name - 'planned obsolescence'.

As for sabotaging products... how about keeping the revenue stream rolling in. While this incident didn't keep me from purchasing another - same make and model - I did it more for finding out if it does it again. Since the microwave didn't cost me anything directly and was relatively inexpensive, I thought it would be an interesting observation if it does.

While I agree this pactice is not and should not be standard, or even acceptable behavior, or barely practiced, I would not put it past some less ethically inclined manufacturers in various parts of the world, stamping out consumer electronics. Plus, a "time-bomb" is very easy to trigger and would be very difficult to prove - short of taking the time to reverse engineer the firmware. Something even Consumer Reports is not likely to do. And, given these economically challenging times makes the practice at least more tempting.

Just my .02.

redjr...

Well my Toshiba SD 2107 bought back in 1999 is still in use today after lending it to one friend for a couple years and finally giving it to another for use up at his cabin.
post #4251 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

Well my Toshiba SD 2107 bought back in 1999 is still in use today after lending it to one friend for a couple years and finally giving it to another for use up at his cabin.

You sure? I thought I bought mine in '96.
post #4252 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

Well my Toshiba SD 2107 bought back in 1999 is still in use today after lending it to one friend for a couple years and finally giving it to another for use up at his cabin.

Yes indeed. I have an XA1 that's been performing beautifully for over 2 yrs now. I have a second XA1 and an XA2(used in my VA apt while on business). It works flawlessly too, but is stricken by the shut-down bug. I've just learned to cycle up the player first before switching the HD monitor input. Works perfectly every time.

redjr...
post #4253 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

You sure? I thought I bought mine in '96.

Maybe it was '98, but it was a cool unit and made it into "obsolescence" rather than break down.
post #4254 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

If I could continue off topic a bit more...

I wouldn't exactly call it a march into fantasyland. I had a microwave oven fail mysteriously on day 366 of a 365 day warranty. I don't even want to think about the odds of that happening as a result of parts malfunction. Instead, it goes by another name - 'planned obsolescence'.

As for sabotaging products... how about keeping the revenue stream rolling in. While this incident didn't keep me from purchasing another - same make and model - I did it more for finding out if it does it again. Since the microwave didn't cost me anything directly and was relatively inexpensive, I thought it would be an interesting observation if it does.

While I agree this pactice is not and should not be standard, or even acceptable behavior, or barely practiced, I would not put it past some less ethically inclined manufacturers in various parts of the world, stamping out consumer electronics. Plus, a "time-bomb" is very easy to trigger and would be very difficult to prove - short of taking the time to reverse engineer the firmware. Something even Consumer Reports is not likely to do. And, given these economically challenging times makes the practice at least more tempting.

Just my .02.

redjr...

Hi,

I repeat, those individuals who insist on conspiracy theories at every turn are living in a paranoid delusional fantasyland.

Such a practice of deliberately sabotaging a company's own products only gives other manufacturers a competitive advantage.

Sure it provides revenue streams, but to other competing products. It's just plain stupid, particularly in these economically challenging times where viable companies need to demonstrate the superior quality of their products.

Do us all a favor and take these absurd and unproductive off-topic theories to another thread, or better yet, take them to another website entirely.

Just my .02.

Larry
post #4255 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

I repeat, those individuals who insist on conspiracy theories at every turn are living in a paranoid delusional fantasyland.

Such a practice of deliberately sabotaging a company's own products only gives other manufacturers a competitive advantage.

Sure it provides revenue streams, but to other competing products. It's just plain stupid, particularly in these economically challenging times where viable companies need to demonstrate the superior quality of their products.

Do us all a favor and take these absurd and unproductive off-topic theories to another thread, or better yet, take them to another website entirely.

Just my .02.

Larry

We get your point Larry. You don't have to insist that those whom believe the practice MAY go on are delusional or paranoid. You're just trying to stoke the fire and be argumentative. There doesn't have to be any name calling in stating your case.

redjr...
post #4256 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post

We get your point Larry. You don't have to insist that those whom believe the practice MAY go on are delusional or paranoid. You're just trying to stoke the fire and be argumentative. There doesn't have to be any name calling in stating your case.

redjr...

Hi,

I apologize if I offended you or the original poster. However, surely you and he should be able to follow more reasonable lines of thought and recognize that products can fail or have bugs without succumbing to an unsupported and far-fetched theory involving a conspiracy by ethically challenged manufacturers.

I would like to remind you that this is a Toshiba thread. Neither you or the original poster have produced one shred of evidence to support this flight of fantasy that Toshiba may have sabotaged their own products via a "time bomb" in the firmware. Nor have you provided a logical argument on how, by deliberately compromising the quality of their products, Toshiba is supposed to improve their profitability or viability.

I ask you again, please cease these unproductive, off-topic fabrications.

Larry
post #4257 of 4650
My XA2 grew legs and hitched a ride to my bedroom.
post #4258 of 4650
My XA2 tries to hit on my wife when I'm not in the house.
post #4259 of 4650
I have a 1-year old refurb XA2, which I'm now concluding has a hardware problem with HDMI sync'ing up to the display. Initially, I had it connected to my BenQ 8700+ projector, and it would take multiple power cycles before it would sync up and display an image. Since the BenQ is 4 years old, I attributed this to HDCP handshake issues with older equipment.

Now I have a Pioneer FPJ1, and the problem is still there, but worse. Now it takes more power cycles for sync up to happen. Maybe this is related to 1080p/24 whereas with the BenQ I was driving 720p...

I've tried:
different HDMI cables
different power up sequence, i.e. pj first then XA2, XA2 then pj
powering up XA2 with the pj selecting a different HDMI input, then switching, etc.

So far, no luck.

I'm running 4.0 firmware. Any suggestions anybody?

Is Toshiba still repairing XA2? How much for out-of-warranty work?
post #4260 of 4650
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet25 View Post

I have a 1-year old refurb XA2, which I'm now concluding has a hardware problem with HDMI sync'ing up to the display. Initially, I had it connected to my BenQ 8700+ projector, and it would take multiple power cycles before it would sync up and display an image. Since the BenQ is 4 years old, I attributed this to HDCP handshake issues with older equipment.

Now I have a Pioneer FPJ1, and the problem is still there, but worse. Now it takes more power cycles for sync up to happen. Maybe this is related to 1080p/24 whereas with the BenQ I was driving 720p...

I've tried:
different HDMI cables
different power up sequence, i.e. pj first then XA2, XA2 then pj
powering up XA2 with the pj selecting a different HDMI input, then switching, etc.

So far, no luck.

I'm running 4.0 firmware. Any suggestions anybody?

Is Toshiba still repairing XA2? How much for out-of-warranty work?


Other than initializing the XA2 to see if it changes anything I can't think of anything else you can do. You'll have to call Toshiba about it otherwise.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Tosh HD-XA2 1080p HD DVD - First End User Reports!: USERS ONLY PLEASE!