or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat › PT-AE1000u CIH?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PT-AE1000u CIH? - Page 2

post #31 of 232
Quote:


AX100 to be is looking more like my next projector now. I can enjoy it probably until 1080ps fall down to half the price in about an year with BETTER lumens for my screen.

Kits, that is the same conclusion that I'm slowly coming to myself. I just can't get over the ah, wow, and pop of the image that the AX100 brings out and delivers. I'll have more to share regarding the AX100 within the next few days.

Also, and it's a point I failed to mention before, so thank you for bring it up, but yes, bulb life in terms of brightness. There's no getting around it, it will fade, usually by half. If one is wanting to go with a really large screen and purchased the AX100, and then paired it with a high gain screen, something like Vutec's SilverStar or Da-Lite's High Power, I highly doubt you'll find yourself disappointed. Sure, your eyes will notice a difference in the picture as the bulb begins to fade, but due to the high lumens of the AX100, coupled with a high gain screen, will still provide you with a very nice and satisfying picture. I'll pass along a tip that will help aid everyone with picking out the right screen for whichever projector they choose to go with.


Quote:


1) Are you using an anamorphic lens with the AE1000U or the AX100U? if so, which lens are you using and which projector do you prefer for 2.35:1?

Scott, yes, I was using Prismasonic H-700 and got excellent results from both the AX100 as well the AE1000U. I plan on upgrading to their H-1400 soon and feel the results will be even better, but I was extremelly pleased by the results I got using the H-700.

As to which projector I prefered. You know that's a real tough one, seriously. I mean the AE1000 has a tad bit of an edge due to it's higher resolution, but I found this to only be true from a close distance. The futher back I moved, the less of an edge it had. That and the fact that the AX100 was not by any means that far behind it, and pretty much made up for the little it did lack with it's higher lumens. I played around a bit with AX100, and with a little more tweaking of the of the unit, I believe you can bring the AX100 pretty damn close to par with AE1000 if/when viewing close and or up front.

Quote:


2) When you say a 110" screen are you referring to a 16:9 screen or a 2.35:1 screen and are you referring to the diagonal measurement or the width measurement?

I'm sorry, I did fail to mention that and I shouldn't have. I was refering to the diagonal measurment of the screen, not really taking aspect ratio into consideration at this point, and that's simply because I have not finished reviewing and evaluating these projectors. You probably could go a little bigger if going with a 2.35 screen, but personally, I wouldn't take that risk. Screens aren't cheap, and that's an awful lot of money to shell out just to end up not satisfied with the brightness of the image, especially once the bulb begins to fade.
post #32 of 232
Alright, I'd like to talk about lumens, screen gain, preferred brightness level, and the loss of brightness that your bulb is going to lose over time.

Now I'm not going to take the position of telling anyone what level of brightness you should be viewing, for that is a personal choice predicated on you own personal preferences. What I will do, is give you a formula that was originally posted by Bob Sorel in determining the ftl range you most desire.

In Bob's example, he stated that his personal preference is in the 12 to 16 ftL range, as he feels it provides the best tradeoff between bright, punchy, detailed images and the exposing of artifacts such as macroblocking, mosquito noise, dithering, and other MPEG artifacts. The formula for determining footlamberts is this:

ftL = lumens * screen gain / square footage of screen

Now Bob's desired range is 12 to 16 ftL, and he knows that his lamp is going to be at half brightness within 250 hours (that was the actual number on his projector with his current lamp), He decided to aim for 24 (minimum) to 36 ftL on a new lamp. So he took his known numbers and simply plugged them into the equation to determine his lumens requirement. In his case it was:

24 ftL = lumens * 1.0 (this is the gain used for his given example) / 38.9 square feet (his screen size)

lumens = 933.6

Now Bob has a problem, because his projector doesn't pump out 933.6 lumens. This is where using a high gain screen comes into play. If he uses a unity gain screen, then at 114 diagonal, he'd need 933.6 lumens to provide him with 24 ftl on a new lamp, or 12 ftl after 250 hours. Ok, so since his projector only measured about 593 lumens on a new lamp, then he'll need to find another way to reach his desired brightness. Again, this is where screens with higher gains can be used to accomplish ones goal.

Bob used Da-Lites High Power screen in his example, for that is what he owns. You can also go with Vutec's SilverStar or any high gain screen in which you choose. To keep things simple, I too will use Da-Lites High Power screen as an example.

The HP is rated at 2.8 gain, but to play it safe, Bob decided to stay on the conservative side and assume that he is "only" getting a gain of 2.5, so let's see where that puts him:

24 ftL = lumens * 2.5 / 38.9

lumen = 373.44

Bingo! You can now see that since he has 593 lumens initially, he now has more than enough brightness to keep him happy...In fact he has too much! Using his known numbers to figure his actual ftLs, I get this:

ftL = 593 * 2.5 / 38.9

ftL = 38.11 on a new lamp (or 19.05 after 250 hours)

So, I say again, choose your screen wisely. Once you decide on which projector it is you're going to purchase, simply do a little research and follow this formula and you should have very little problem achieving your desired brightness level, before and after your bulb begins to fade.
post #33 of 232
Cane, what source did you play to check out these projectors? Recently, I've seen Pearl in Best Buy playing HD-DVD and was blown away. Went to another Best Buy and they had Sharp Z3000 playing DVD and it sucked even on 80+ screen. On my request the sales guy hooked up HD-DVD and played their standard HD-DVD demo disk and I thought it looked incredible. I can't tell if I noticed any difference between the 1080p and this 720p as I checked this out with almost a week gap and Sharp was also about 10" smaller screen. But, still, I left with a feeling that I would STILL enjoy 720P just as much as 1080p for a first time projector owner.

The Sharp is on clearance now at Best Buy for 1.5K and was very tempting. Not sure if it has Vertical Stretch but manual on their website seems to show diff rations of picture possible and I 'think' it has the feature. But not sure. I should appreciate if you can check into it as it should help others who might like this for CIH setup. For me, Sharp may not work as I already have a HIGH POWER screen and need longer throw and more offset to be able to increase my gain and viewing cone.
post #34 of 232
Cane, can you also comment on the projector noise - and where the projector is in relation to your seating?
post #35 of 232
Cane

Great work and really sensible writing. I just sold my old CRT and a HP 4:3 screen and bought the AX100 in order to go CIH. Haven't decided on which lens yet but the new Prismasonic H-1400 with the Focus modd coming in Feb looks quite interesting.

So far I'm very pleased with the convenience, brightness and tweakability of the AX100 (although it really does come very well setup out of the box). As you're compairing the AX100 for a CIH setup I'm very interested in your further findings.

After using the HP screen I find it very good. I could even have ambient lights on when watching TV stuff on the CRT. So it truly is a powerful screen. Nevertheless I sold it as it was a 100" (diag) 4:3 screen not suitable for a 2:35:1 setup.

I've heard the the smooth screen feature of the AX100 can make it look a bit soft/smooth (I agree with you on the confusion) when paired with an anamorphic lens. However, coming from a CRT FP look, I don't think I'll find it to be a big problem. Although I'd be interested to hear how you find the focus issues in the corners that might arise from an anamorphic lens to be.

Anyway, keep up the good work. You sharing your findings is extremely appreciated.

Cheers
post #36 of 232
Cane,

Thanks so much for this review.

Sorry if I missed this but just wanted to confirm a small detail.
Is it correct to say that the AE1000U does vertical stretch with 1080 input but does not with 480?, i.e. Standard DVD 480i/p through component will not stretch, 1080i/p through HDMI will stretch?

Thanks in advance,

Rusty
post #37 of 232
Thanks for the compliments, guys. It's very much appreciated, because believe it or not, I'm doing all of this for you guys as much as I am for myself.

The way I figure it, people have a lot of questions regarding these projectors, and since I had enough on my good ol' credit cards to allow me to purchase these 3 projectors, as well as the time, I figured why not. I may not post alot, or haven't in the past, but that sure as heck doesn't mean that this site hasn't been extremelly helpful to me over the years, because it most defiantly has.

Anyways, I'd like to apologise to you all for not reporting back sooner. I've fallen ill and have been batteling an acute case of pneumonia, but am doing much better now. To say the least, I haven't been able to play much due to the circumstances. I should however be able to continue forward with the reviewing/evaluating of these projectors within the next few days or so.

I'll try to answer a few of the questions asked so far. The sources used so far have mostly been 1080p, 1080i, and 720p. I have not done any testing regarding 480i or 480p, other then to see how each of these projectors handled SD material via DishNetwork and SD-DVD's, but don't worry, for I will. I plan on testing each of the projectors capabilities via all sources including 480i and 480p. This regarding to 2.35 using an anamorphic lens.

As for noise, well, for testing purposes, I have all three projectors table mounted right behind the viewing area/seating, and I haven't been bothered by any of them. They're all pretty silent. Next time I fire them all up, I'll pay closer attention and let you all know which is louder and or the loudest and in which mode.

Now in regards to any focus issues in the corners when using an anamorphic lens, honestly, I have yet to notice any problems. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but as I said, I'm nowhere near done with running each of these projectors through their paces. Anything you guys want to know, anything you'd like me to check, please feel free to ask and I'll check it out.

I will say this much though, I don't care which one of these projectors you decide to go with, whether it be the Pearl, the Panny AE1000U or AX100U, you're going to purchasing a damn fine projector. Each of these babies puts out one hell of a picture and I've been very impressed with them all.

If I can be so humble in asking for your patience, I'll try to get things back in full swing soon.
post #38 of 232
Cane, hope you fell better soon.

Do you think we can justify spending $2K more for 1000U, or $3K more for RS1 when AX100 is so good? My viewing distances will be 16', 22', and 26' from 138" wide screen.

I read the shoot out in Athens between 720p and 1080p pjs. But I want to know how these two panny's fared head to head with each other. Thanks.

I already bought a HD-DVD player and will HAVE TO get Blu-Ray when Casino Royale releases in March as I can't afford to see that movie on SD source.
post #39 of 232
Cane, thanks for all the writeup info! Just caught up again.

Kits - the key with the RS1 is that it's 15000:1 contrast WITHOUT a dynamic iris so the detail in blacks, and such will be much better. The key to remember is that when you have a dark scene with something bright, the bright part will still be bright and vice versa. You always get the brightest bright and darkest dark you can on screen. Not a "slice" of the range. For example, I think the Pearl is 4000:1 contrast without the DI working, and then goes to the rated 10-11k or whatever it is with the DI.

Worth it? That's always a question of $$ for people I guess. I'm on the pre-order bandwagon now, but I've not discounted the new Epson 1080 if I can get pricing & info about it. It's high contrast via dynamic iris like the ones Cane's testing. I'm thinking I want to focus on PQ over features this time. I'll deal with CIH differently for now. Either zoom out initially, etc. Maybe sell my H1000.

Cane - a question I wanted to ask you was how you found the resolution/sharpness/convergence was affected with the 1080p projectors and your Prismasonic lens. Of a lot of people are saying that the lenses are going to affect the 1080p units because they aren't as resolving as a crazy ISCO III . Are they just trying to justify paying 5k for a lens?

I have a H1000 Prismasonic which is supposedly "optically" the same as the H1400 but I'm not sure. I do have to adjust focus between passthrough and 2.35 but my old Cinema 500 has power zoom. Positioning is also key for preventing it from affecting geometry too much.
Interesting though that I just saw someone in this thread post about a focus tweaked version of the H1400 - I'd definitely make sure you get that one to save having to adjust focus. It's not a big deal on a PJ with power focus - but the RS1, Pearl, they are manual. The Panny1000 is power focus - that might also help add up to things there.

For me, I want to upgrade from my Cinema 500, as I want to escape LCD baddies that aren't issues anymore, like SDE, VB, low contrast (1200:1!) - but I figure I'll get 1080p while I'm at it.

Cheers.
post #40 of 232
Thanks gentlemen, when you're feeling as crappy as I currently do, those kind words are greatly appreciated.

Let me start by offering my opinions and views regarding the RS1. I know there's a whole lot of hype going around on this projector, and I'll admit, knowing what I know about it, it does sound like a damn nice projector.

However, having the Pearl, the Panasonic PT-AE1000U and the PT-AX100U here and seeing these bad boys in action, I can't sit here nor would I feel comfortable telling you guys, no, skip them, pick up the RS1 instead. I just don't feel that would be right. Money aside, these three units are outstanding projectors, and I'm sure the RS1 is going to be too, but let's not forget something gentlemen, at this point in time, there's still a lot of unknowns about the RS1.

For example, it MAY end up having vertical stretch capabilities, then it again it MAY not. Right now it's nothing more then pure speculation. Do you really want to take that risk? That's one question you'll need to ask and answer for yourselves. Now if you're not planning on doing a CIH setup, then it becomes rather irrelevant.

Then there is the cost issue as well. Do you really want to pay that much more for a machine that will be better in some areas, but not that much better in other areas? Again, that's another question you'll need to ask and answer for yourselves.

On top of that, there's some calibration issues regarding the RS1 that at this point in time is unclear on whether or not the problem is going to be addressed and solved. It MAY, true, but guys you are all smart enough to know that there is that chance that it MAY not.

My intentions are not, nor will they ever be, to talk you into one projector over the other. No, my intentions, in part, is help you put it all into perspective, to think clearly and evaluate each projector fairly, instead of jumping on some bandwagon and end up spending more money then A. What you may want to spend, and B. Then what you have to spend, just to end up with a projector that you may or may not be happy with.

What I would do is ask myself a series of questions. For starters......

1. What am I after? What it is you're wanting to do.

2. Which projector will give me all or most of what I'm looking to get, for the least amount of money? Let's face facts guys, most of us are not rolling in the dough with cash flowing out of rear ends. It's not like we have money trees growing out in the backyard that we can just pull as much cash off of whenever we want/need to. Despite what anybody says, cost is always an issue to "some" extent.

3. Will and or could, my decision effect other things that I'm going to want and need to pull off the setup that I want to do. Example: If I purchase the most expensive projector, would it or could it effect getting that new screen I want, or that new lens I've been eyeballing?

These are all things that I feel everybody should ask themselves and take under serious consideration. Unfortunately, alot of people fail to do so.

I'll respond to the rest of the questions here in a little while. I've got to take my medication now, so I'll follow up with this in a few.
post #41 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane View Post


1. What am I after? What it is you're wanting to do.

Cane, this one liner nails everything. To me, last few days it's been 720p or 1080p? But the later part of your above quote is what I should be thinking.

Most of the movies we watch will still be on DVD as 70% of our viewing will be Tollywood and Bollywood (both are from Indian cinema). The rest will be Hollywood. Almost no TV viewing for us in theater. So we will be watching very few HD-DVDs. Unfortunately most of the HD-DVDs being released are of old movies I already have on DVD or don't care to view again. I wish I bought a Blu-ray player as I see more new and interesting movies on that media but the standalone players are priced insanely high. I might get PS3 in March just to enjoy James Bond Casino Royale in HD

Looking at what I will be doing in my theater for atleast the next year, I might be better off buying smart.

Thanks for your wise words!
post #42 of 232
To make things easier, I'm going to answer the following questions separately, so I can give each of you my undivided attention. Kits, you're up first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits View Post

Cane, hope you fell better soon.

Do you think we can justify spending $2K more for 1000U, or $3K more for RS1 when AX100 is so good? My viewing distances will be 16', 22', and 26' from 138" wide screen.

I read the shoot out in Athens between 720p and 1080p pjs. But I want to know how these two panny's fared head to head with each other. Thanks.

I already bought a HD-DVD player and will HAVE TO get Blu-Ray when Casino Royale releases in March as I can't afford to see that movie on SD source.

First, thanks again. I appreciate the kind words.

Second, that's a real tough question to answers, but I'll do my best in offering my opinion as to what I myself would probably do.

Could I justify spending $1800-$2000 more for the 1000U? Well, that would all boil down to ones setup. Honestly, if I planned on shooting onto a 138" wide screen, no, I wouldn't be able justify shelling out that much more for the 1000U. Not after seeing what the AX100U is capable of. It's MUCH MUCH brighter and those extra lumens will offer you a better picture on a screen that large as well at those 22' and 26' distances. In addition to that, believe it or not, there's a lot of people who can't really tell much of a difference between 720p and 1080p from a distance greater then 1.5 X the width of the screen. I can, but it's so damn slight that it's damn hard to tell unless I've got them going side by side. That too in part, is due to the lower lumens that these 1080p projectors currently posses. Now when we start to see 2000 lumen 1080p projectors, then all that might change and probably will.

That's only my opinion though. That's what I'd do if I planned on shooting upon a really large screen. It is of my opinion, that the people who will benefit the most from a 1080p projector, are those who will be close to screen. Or closer then 15' anyways. When you set 15' or closer, that's when the higher resolution starts to become noticable and the picture becomes sharper and so on and so on.
post #43 of 232
S. Cane,

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad. I'm sure it doesn't help with all the crappy weather we've been having in our areas. I don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty tired of having a winter storm every weekend since Christmas!

From our earlier chats you know that I am very interested in your findings, and that I have plenty of time to decide. I too keep going back and forth between 720p and 1080p, with budget concerns being very important. If I go with a bright 720p projector I believe I can also save even more money and build my own screen. However, if I go with any of the (affordable) current 1080p models I probably will have to pony up another thousand bucks or more for a high gain screen, due to their lower light output.

That said, I am very picky about sharpness and resolution, as my current 64" Pioneer RPTV is professionally calibrated, and has awesome PQ and of course black levels. On the other hand, with my main seating area at 15' from the screen, I may not be able to see much difference between 720p and 1080p resolution.

That would be one of my big questions for you, can you tell a resolution difference between 1080p and 720p at 15 feet viewing distance? Of course screen size is a big factor in that, so I will mention that I am probably going to do a 120" wide "scope" screen, which all works out to viewing at 1.5 screen widths.

Take it easy,

Mike
post #44 of 232
Hey Sutter - agreed! That's why I say it depends on what you want and the $$. Diminishing returns as the cost goes up is always the way it works. That's why the AX100 is a superb PJ & recommendation for getting into it, etc.

Don't let me being on the RS1 prebuy now (just recently in the last few days) affect that I'm still looking. It's not a done deal - there's no risk being on the prebuy. I'm so far back in the list that we'll see what people have to say about production units before I will get mine. hehehe

The Epson 1080p is still on my list too - I'm waiting on more details.

ANY of these PJs will be an excellent upgrade - the Panny 1000 is definitely a good contender, however I'd probably buy the Epson 1080 over it for sure unless they did something stupid with that model.

All that being said - can you have a look at my post again about the lens questions regarding 1080p with the Panny1000? As I said, the Panny's not off my list!

Thanks!

Cheers & hope you feel better soon.

PS: I don't want to be responsible for messing up this thread and turning it into RS1 crap, there's enough of that!!! Sorry.. heehee I was just saying the lack of a dynamic iris with it was the biggest reason (well that and LCOS) I was strongly considering that over my Panny1000 & Epson 1080p thoughts.

PPS: Test your creditcard some more and order an Epson 1080 too please! LOL
post #45 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by kits View Post

Cane, this one liner nails everything. To me, last few days it's been 720p or 1080p? But the later part of your above quote is what I should be thinking.

I totally understand, kits. I share the same feelings as you do, but I'm starting to base my decisions off of logic and common since, instead of going down that other road that only leads to regret and buyers remorse.

See, I look at this way. For my seating distance being what it is, I know that I'm not going to notice that big of a difference. Not a big enough one to justify the difference in cost. The other thing too is that I know the prices are just going to keep falling, so by holding out another year or two, before jumping up to a 1080p projector, not only will I be able to get what I want at a price point that I'm more comfortable with paying, but I'll also be getting a much better unit then the ones available today. If history has shown us anything, it's that technology advances and it always cheapens in time. Not to mention, that the money I'll be saving, I can add towards other things that I'll either need or want for my system/setup.

Plus, I myself want to go with a much bigger screen then what I currently have, so I'll not only want, but I'll need the extra lumens. Remember, and again this only my opinion, but it's one that is shared by many others as well. Resolution isn't everything. It is important, that much is true, but it's also true that it's the sum of the parts that equals the whole.

Quote:


Thanks for your wise words!

You're welcome
post #46 of 232
Hey we are posting at the same time.. gotta roll back & check the posts.

Sutter - though the AX100 is brighter for sure, how are you finding the blacks though & such? Are the blacks/contrast weaker in the AX100 in relation to it being so bright?

Just curious.

Cheers.
post #47 of 232
yeah resolution isn't everything especially if the SDE & VB is solved now too on those LCDs. Things are getting awesome for the $$$.

Often you have to rise above the over-picky tendencies of discussions here & just enjoy some good content!!
post #48 of 232
Fishy, bare with me my friend. Being sick and medicated, I can only type so fast. It sucks. lol

I will be getting the Epson within the next week, two at the most, so my thoughts on that unit will be coming soon.

Quote:


a question I wanted to ask you was how you found the resolution/sharpness/convergence was affected with the 1080p projectors and your Prismasonic lens. Of a lot of people are saying that the lenses are going to affect the 1080p units because they aren't as resolving as a crazy ISCO III . Are they just trying to justify paying 5k for a lens?

Sounds like a steamy pile of horse poop coming from ISCO III wanna be owners to me. lol j/k Although there probably is some truth to that wanna be part. Hell I'm a ISCO III wanna be too!! lol

Seriously though, I can't say that I've noticed much of a difference, but that isn't to say that there isn't any. I'll specifically test that out for you this weekend and pass along the run down on that.

Mike, my friend, you're next. Bare with me, my rump is slow but I'm typing as fast as I can under the circumstances.
post #49 of 232
Fabulous Sutter..

Drink lots of fluids! But they always forget that Scotch is a fluid that is KEY in surviving colds. *grin*

Excellent to hear you are getting an Epson too! Wow - your access to them to try is great!

Thanks for checking the whole "lens & resolution" thing.. Sure there's a chance it affects things, and we can debate whether it's better to zoom vs. use a lens because of the affect of a lens (such as chromatic aberrations, geometric distortions, etc.)

The reason I used one was to use my full panel for brightness & rez while I had a PJ that wasn't that bright and harsh SDE, etc. etc. It helps for that. Now though these new units are much better.

The 2.35 effect is worth a few costs in image effect for sure. Just the better the pic going into the lens the better what comes out is I still think. Even if the lens theoretically "harms" it. As long as it's not too much!
post #50 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

S. Cane,

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad. I'm sure it doesn't help with all the crappy weather we've been having in our areas. I don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty tired of having a winter storm every weekend since Christmas!

From our earlier chats you know that I am very interested in your findings, and that I have plenty of time to decide. I too keep going back and forth between 720p and 1080p, with budget concerns being very important. If I go with a bright 720p projector I believe I can also save even more money and build my own screen. However, if I go with any of the (affordable) current 1080p models I probably will have to pony up another thousand bucks or more for a high gain screen, due to their lower light output.

That said, I am very picky about sharpness and resolution, as my current 64" Pioneer RPTV is professionally calibrated, and has awesome PQ and of course black levels. On the other hand, with my main seating area at 15' from the screen, I may not be able to see much difference between 720p and 1080p resolution.

That would be one of my big questions for you, can you tell a resolution difference between 1080p and 720p at 15 feet viewing distance? Of course screen size is a big factor in that, so I will mention that I am probably going to do a 120" wide "scope" screen, which all works out to viewing at 1.5 screen widths.

Take it easy,

Mike

Thank you Mike, I can't express enough how much I appreciate it. And yes, I too am sick of having a winter storm every weekend. lol

I have found that at a distance of 1.5 X the width of the screen or greater, that no, it's not noticable. And that's coming from a guy with 20/20 vision and who can shoot a moving target from 100 yards out in high wind (If that tells you anything about my eye sight). If your seating distance is les then 1.5 X the width of your screen, then yes, it does become noticable.

I love 1080p as much as everybody else, guys, but the fact of the matter is, again in my opinion, until they start producing 1080p projectors with higher lumens then what they currently are, it's just too hard for me to recommend them to anyone who is A. Sitting at distance at or greater then 1.5 the width of their screen, and B. Who plan on shooting on a large screen.

If you find yourself as being one who just MUST have a 1080p unit now, then I feel a high gain screen is a must have.
post #51 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishysan View Post

Hey we are posting at the same time.. gotta roll back & check the posts.

Sutter - though the AX100 is brighter for sure, how are you finding the blacks though & such? Are the blacks/contrast weaker in the AX100 in relation to it being so bright?

Just curious.

Cheers.

Again, it all depends on your seating distance. The higher resolution does help out a bit with the blacks/contrast if/when you are setting at a distance less then 1.5 the width of the screen. If you're not, I'd really be suprised if you did notice much of a difference at all.

The bottom line, is that the AX100u does blacks extremely well. The blacks are so good, in fact, that I can honestly tell you that it beat out the Optoma HD72 when I reviewed that one. Other professional reviews have also noted that to be true.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that it's not an area you need to be too concerned about. Believe me, my friend, I'm VERY picky when it comes to black levels and shadow detail, and the AX100U as yet to disappoint me. It's really hard for me to put into words just how much this projector has impressed me, and that's really saying alot, because I wasn't expecting much from this projector. Well, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong, and boy was I ever wrong regarding my thoughts prior to reviewing this projector.

What I find even more exciting is the fact that I'm not even through with my reviewing and evaluating yet. Everything I've reported on so far, as been just that. These are my finding so far, based upon what I've done so far.
post #52 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishysan View Post

The Epson 1080p is still on my list too - I'm waiting on more details.

The Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 MSRP is $4999, and if you know anything about Epson, they don't sell for much less then the MSRP, if at all. However, if you DO find yourself going after this projector, PM me. I can get it for you for what one can get the AE1000U for.
post #53 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane View Post

The Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 MSRP is $4999, and if you know anything about Epson, they don't sell for much less then the MSRP, if at all. However, if you DO find yourself going after this projector, PM me. I can get it for you for what one can get the AE1000U for.

I think he might be looking to buy from Japan. There is a huge thread about it in over 3K forum. I think it costs less than AX100 MSRP out there.
post #54 of 232
Groovy, thanks S - I'll do that. PM on it's way.
post #55 of 232
Kits - Yeah Japan is definitely tempting! But I'll exhaust my channels here first as I've had to make use of my warranty with my current Cinema 500 and Epson Canada was great. I'm hoping that the price will be good and include a second bulb and the like to help offset the difference.
post #56 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane View Post

Thank you Mike, I can't express enough how much I appreciate it. And yes, I too am sick of having a winter storm every weekend. lol

I have found that at a distance of 1.5 X the width of the screen or greater, that no, it's not noticable. And that's coming from a guy with 20/20 vision and who can shoot a moving target from 100 yards out in high wind (If that tells you anything about my eye sight). If your seating distance is les then 1.5 X the width of your screen, then yes, it does become noticable.

I love 1080p as much as everybody else, guys, but the fact of the matter is, again in my opinion, until they start producing 1080p projectors with higher lumens then what they currently are, it's just too hard for me to recommend them to anyone who is A. Sitting at distance at or greater then 1.5 the width of their screen, and B. Who plan on shooting on a large screen.

If you find yourself as being one who just MUST have a 1080p unit now, then I feel a high gain screen is a must have.

Here we go again, Saturday morning, 4 inches of snow on the ground and it's still coming down!

Cane, yeah, I'm wondering too about waiting for a brighter 1080p projector, but it's a tough decision. It seems like I am sitting right on the edge of whether I would see much benefit or not. My eyesight is pretty good too, and I'm hooked on 1080i and HD-DVD's. It would however be a somewhat easier decision to go with a cheaper, bright 720p for now, and then upgrade again in a year or two! Sometimes upgrading is fun, sometimes it's a pain. Since this is my first projector maybe I should get my feet wet on a cheaper 720p? Then when I upgrade I could sell it on ebay and recover some of my money at least.

A few questions. Do you plan on posting some screen shots? That would be helpful if possible. Also, maybe I missed it, but what screen are you using for this test?
post #57 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

Here we go again, Saturday morning, 4 inches of snow on the ground and it's still coming down!

Yes, this snow blows, literally as well as not literally.
Quote:


It would however be a somewhat easier decision to go with a cheaper, bright 720p for now, and then upgrade again in a year or two! Sometimes upgrading is fun, sometimes it's a pain. Since this is my first projector maybe I should get my feet wet on a cheaper 720p? Then when I upgrade I could sell it on ebay and recover some of my money at least.

It is a tough decision, that is very true. However, your above statement, in my opinion, would be the wise choice/way to go.

1080p projectors, although coming down in price, will only get better and cheaper as time goes on. Holding off another year or two before making the jump up, to me, is best way to go right now. Of course this only my opinion. Please feel free to take it for whatever it's worth.
Quote:


A few questions. Do you plan on posting some screen shots? That would be helpful if possible. Also, maybe I missed it, but what screen are you using for this test?

I had planned on taking screen shots, but I don't have a good enough camera to make it woth it's while. I tried already and they turned out horrible, so I deleted them. It just doesn't possess enough pixels. That and I think there's something wrong the stupid thing. I think my little 4 year old might have go her hands on it and dropped it.

As for the screen/screens. I'm using a DIY screen with a 1.0 gain along with my cousin's Da-Lite High Power screen.
post #58 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane View Post

As for the screen/screens. I'm using a DIY screen with a 1.0 gain along with my cousin's Da-Lite High Power screen.

That's interesting. If I go with a brighter projector I am thinking about a building a DIY (laminate) screen. What kind of DIY screen do you have; laminate, painted wall, or what? Also, when viewing the Panny AX100 which screen looks best, your DIY or the High Power?
post #59 of 232
Mike,

I purchased the screen material from this dealer on ebay. It comes with everything you need, meaning screen material and detailed instructions on how to build a frame.

As for which do I prefer with the AX100U. Well, honestly they both really look great. I know that really doesn't answer your question, but I've got to be honest with you.

One just has to understand that they both have their strengths and weaknesses and you just got to determine what it is you're after in terms of a screen.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't recommend the Da-Lite High Power screen. Not because it's a poor preformer, but because it's not the most flexable of screens. You got to have the right setup in order to make the High Power screen work at it's best, otherwise you're just throwing money away, in my opinion.

If one want's to go the high gain route, then I'd suggest taking a look at the Vutec SilverStar. That's the screen that I'm probably going to wind up upgrading to, that or the Carada BW.
post #60 of 232
Sutter,

I'm new to front projection. I've been researching what projector to get for my first. My intention is to make a DIY screen, at least until I have the projector mounted and I can experiment with screens.

I would like and intend to install a CH setup, but this will be a long term project as I don't know what the heck I'm doing.

My audio equipment rack is installed in the wall and is on the right side of my screen wall. This rack restricts my screen width to appros 106 inches. I have a basement HT and the ceiling is only about 6'6". Adding to this situation is a heat and cold air return trunk that brings that ceiling height down to about 6'.

My hope is that I can set up the projector on a fabricated moveable stand that places it at the same height as the projector will be mounted permanently on the ceiling. then I will hang screen material(temporary) to determine projection throw and screen size. My throw however. is from about 11' min to 15' max.
My seating distance is about 10 foot from the screen.

My question/s is/are this.

Will I be happy with the Panny 1000 1080P in this installation with brightness and picture quality?
Do you foresee any problems with my plan?
Because of my proximity to the screen will I realize the better resolution of the 1000 over the 100?

Thanks in advance for your trouble and time,
Greg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat › PT-AE1000u CIH?