or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show us your screen walls - Page 18

post #511 of 857
Here's my screen wall:




The screen is a 110" Da-Lite High power on the Cinema Contour frame. The stage is a standard rectangle filled with sand, and there is a curved step in front. The entire front wall is covered with 703 wrapped in black burlap.

Each corner is a super-chunk bass trap filled with OC703. There is track lighting on the stage for the kids "puppet shows".

After much deliberation I decided to put baseboard and crown molding on the screen wall, so it isn't perfectly black, but the stain is dark enough that when watching a movie you don't notice it anyway.
post #512 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

Like it!!
How did you make your masking and how does it attatch, please?

scott

Here is a link. www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1187881 I love it. Once I added the pillow block bearings you can grab the top mask on one end and both masks still move together LEVEL up and down.
post #513 of 857

post #514 of 857
Very nice finish work and design Elvalle!

A few more shots of the sides and rear, along with an equipment list and personal impressions are always welcome too.

It's nice to see your excellent work...
post #515 of 857
I was lucky to find many of these things used at a used pawn shop and BestBuy. List includes:

yamaha rxv1800 (bought clearance at Bestbuy)
Carver tfm 45 two channel amp (bought used at pawn shop)
Polk lsi 9's front speakers(bought used at pawn shop)
polk TSI 100's (circuit city clearance)
center channel-Speakerkraft aim monitor one lcr (pawn shop)
Sanyo plvZ60 720p (bought new online)
Sony blue ray BDPS550
Monster conditioner and power strip ($60 at best buy clearance) only reason why i bought it.

The sub is a cheap DCM 10 inch that i bought about 6 years ago at circuit city. It sounds pretty darn good, but I am wondering if I should upgrade to a new sub.

I made the 92 inch screen





post #516 of 857
Great looking space elvalle.

I have been looking for some gaming chairs like the ones you have in the front row. Seem perfect for adding extra seating for the little ones. Can you tell me what brand those are and where you got them? Most that I have found have speakers etc. I am looking for simple.
post #517 of 857
Not sure of the brand, but bought at meijer on sale. $24.99. Regular price around $30
post #518 of 857
my theater is almost done

LL
LL
post #519 of 857
Might want to paint those baseboards black before Carpet. Will you be painting the ceiling?
post #520 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Might want to paint those baseboards black before Carpet. Will you be painting the ceiling?

+1 also he should paint the celing flat black
post #521 of 857
was actually debating on the ceilings and planning to lincoustic or similar behind the screen. I still have a little trim and crown to put in also. My finish guys is giving me all kinds of a mess about painting the ceiling blk. he says it will kill my resale but, It's my house so I guess I'll wait till he's done haha...
post #522 of 857
I finally finished the GoM fabric and curtain installation.

Mark
LL
LL
post #523 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadshouse View Post

was actually debating on the ceilings and planning to lincoustic or similar behind the screen. I still have a little trim and crown to put in also. My finish guys is giving me all kinds of a mess about painting the ceiling blk. he says it will kill my resale but, It's my house so I guess I'll wait till he's done haha...

Is that currently just painted brick wall behind your screen wall? Wouldn't think that would be great for either acoustics or thermal ... depending on where you live. Up here in the tropical north my speakers would freeze in the winter without insulation!

As for your finish guy and the resale canard, he's obviously a ... well, my new year's resolution prevents me from calling him names, for at least another couple of days! Even IF that were true about resale value - and it's not - if and when you decide to sell the place, painting a ceiling is a minor project ... even for unhandy dolts like me!

Nice room - how about a build thread so we can see it as it took shape?
post #524 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadshouse View Post

was actually debating on the ceilings and planning to lincoustic or similar behind the screen. I still have a little trim and crown to put in also. My finish guys is giving me all kinds of a mess about painting the ceiling blk. he says it will kill my resale but, It's my house so I guess I'll wait till he's done haha...

here it texas a black celing in a media room will up the value
post #525 of 857
LOL yeah that's what I thought too....as for the screen wall I am going with Lincoustic or a substitute currently just drylocked inside.....The other walls are double drywalled w/ gg...... The walls are heavily insulated from the outside and the basement remains a constant 68 deg. during the winter yeah I'm def. painting the ceiling probably today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Is that currently just painted brick wall behind your screen wall? Wouldn't think that would be great for either acoustics or thermal ... depending on where you live. Up here in the tropical north my speakers would freeze in the winter without insulation!

As for your finish guy and the resale canard, he's obviously a ... well, my new year's resolution prevents me from calling him names, for at least another couple of days! Even IF that were true about resale value - and it's not - if and when you decide to sell the place, painting a ceiling is a minor project ... even for unhandy dolts like me!

Nice room - how about a build thread so we can see it as it took shape?
post #526 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadshouse View Post

was actually debating on the ceilings and planning to lincoustic or similar behind the screen. I still have a little trim and crown to put in also. My finish guys is giving me all kinds of a mess about painting the ceiling blk. he says it will kill my resale but, It's my house so I guess I'll wait till he's done haha...

[RANT - not at Dadshouse but at his finish guys]

That kind of mindset kills me. Who bought the house, you or some possible stranger in the future? Who is living in the house, you or some possible stranger in the future? What's the point of you buying a house and decorating it for the next guy? He wants something different, let HIM do it, not you. To me the whole point of owning a house is making it reflect how I want to live.

I can't imagine not painting a home theater ceiling black because it will affect some possible re-sale in the future. Just re-paint the damned ceiling if you want to move, no biggie. It's silly to compromise your goals on such a minor issue.

I turned our front living room into a home theater room - although tastefully done with nice furniture, sectional sofa etc. When some friends and acquaintances got wind of the project some people recoiled at what it might do to re-sale value, but time is precious and I'm not house-sitting for some future owner, I want to live my life, not his. So it gets re-done how I want it. (BTW, the room gets lots of compliments now!).

[/END RANT]
post #527 of 857
That's how I was feeling to as if it was his house....I am not the type to follow suit anyways lol There are so many people that behave in that manner anymore.....I know he put time into the finish but, hell it's not his room to decide about anyways....so guess what the ceiling is getting painted indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

[RANT - not at Dadshouse but at his finish guys]

That kind of mindset kills me. Who bought the house, you or some possible stranger in the future? Who is living in the house, you or some possible stranger in the future? What's the point of you buying a house and decorating it for the next guy? He wants something different, let HIM do it, not you. To me the whole point of owning a house is making it reflect how I want to live.

I can't imagine not painting a home theater ceiling black because it will affect some possible re-sale in the future. Just re-paint the damned ceiling if you want to move, no biggie. It's silly to compromise your goals on such a minor issue.

I turned our front living room into a home theater room - although tastefully done with nice furniture, sectional sofa etc. Some people recoiled at what it might do to re-sale value, but time is precious and I'm not house-sitting for some future owner, I want to live my life, not his. So it gets re-done how I want it. (BTW, the room gets lots of compliments now!).

[/END RANT]
post #528 of 857
I agree wholeheartedly. I originally started out with the "what about the person who buys this house" mindset. Careful where I put in screws for the wall etc. Then I realized, hell it's my house and I want it the way I want it. the next guy can change it if he wants.
post #529 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

That kind of mindset kills me. Who bought the house, you or some possible stranger in the future? Who is living in the house, you or some possible stranger in the future? What's the point of you buying a house and decorating it for the next guy? He wants something different, let HIM do it, not you. To me the whole point of owning a house is making it reflect how I want to live.

I can't imagine not painting a home theater ceiling black because it will affect some possible re-sale in the future. Just re-paint the damned ceiling if you want to move, no biggie. It's silly to compromise your goals on such a minor issue.

Here, HERE!! Well said Rich!!

Listen up, sheeple!

post #530 of 857
Mr. Goodcat I 2nd. that we only live once so enjoy it our way! LOL at the comic and soooo true
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian View Post

Here, HERE!! Well said Rich!!

Listen up, sheeple!

post #531 of 857
Does anyone see any flutter on your screens from the sound waves from the speakers? I was thinking of building a fake wall in front of my main wall that will house the screen and the speakers. The fake wall will be built on top of my stage. So the question is. Do you get any vibration from the speakers that transfers to the screen to make the screen shake or flutter?
post #532 of 857
I had to mess with the camera settings to get some detail out of all the blackness.


post #533 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BlckGT View Post

Here's my screen wall:




The screen is a 110" Da-Lite High power on the Cinema Contour frame. The stage is a standard rectangle filled with sand, and there is a curved step in front. The entire front wall is covered with 703 wrapped in black burlap.

Each corner is a super-chunk bass trap filled with OC703. There is track lighting on the stage for the kids "puppet shows".

After much deliberation I decided to put baseboard and crown molding on the screen wall, so it isn't perfectly black, but the stain is dark enough that when watching a movie you don't notice it anyway.

Awesome! Love the stain color and wall color.. I'm getting to the "color scheme" time and I'm going with a deep mahogany. What stain is that? Love the carpet also....
post #534 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestmoonstudio View Post

Does anyone see any flutter on your screens from the sound waves from the speakers? I was thinking of building a fake wall in front of my main wall that will house the screen and the speakers. The fake wall will be built on top of my stage. So the question is. Do you get any vibration from the speakers that transfers to the screen to make the screen shake or flutter?

During bass intense sequences, my screen vibrates pretty bad. Doesn't bother me so I will probably leave mine asis.
post #535 of 857
My 100" diagonal Focupix electric screen.
post #536 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I had to mess with the camera settings to get some detail out of all the blackness.



Yikes, what speakers are those, they are huge!
post #537 of 857
Not very fancy but does the job. I painted the screen for now but plan on buying some screen material and making a much nicer one. Speakers need to be upgraded too but these are working out just fine. The screen shot does not do it justice it looks much better.
LL
LL
post #538 of 857
Thought I'd throw mine into the mix. Thanks



post #539 of 857
I tried in the screen forum but did not get an answer. Is it possible to store your electronics behind the screen wall? Has anyone attempted to do this? The screen wall needs to be 2' deep or so and that's as deep as the electronics need to be anyway. I have problems deciding where I will place the electronics in my theater.
post #540 of 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings View Post

I tried in the screen forum but did not get an answer. Is it possible to store your electronics behind the screen wall? Has anyone attempted to do this? The screen wall needs to be 2' deep or so and that's as deep as the electronics need to be anyway. I have problems deciding where I will place the electronics in my theater.

This would work well with two caveats.
You have an RF remote and you have access to the DVD player(obviously).

scott
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home