Originally Posted by JHo15
I'm a few weeks into researching new everything for a living room HT setup and have an initial laundry-list-o-questions:
- Is it safe to assume that a Denon AVR 2310 can handle a 5T-DB Hybrid HD system just fine?
- Any Canadian purchasers (Ottawa, ON here), or Aperion reps, who can provide any info on shipping and duties to Canada?
- It seems that a comparable cost after exchange matches up to a Klipsch WF-34 system. Other than the sound being quite different apparently, any thoughts on the relative quality of these two systems?
- Room size is 14x12, attached at front-right of the room to another 10x10 area in an L shape, with standard ceiling height. Immediately behind the viewing area is a 7' long, 3' high wall with stairs on the other side leading down to an entrance and then down into the basement forming a 6x10 or so area with much higher ceilings.
Approximate use will be TV 50%, Movies 35%, Music 15%. Is the 5T system appropriate and what else should I be considering at that price range? (preferably something available locally in Ontario, Canada)
- Viewing/listening area will be from a sectional couch pushed tight against rear and right walls, while TV and sound will be in opposite corner at front/left of room = not ideal for HT set-up but will this pose so much trouble that I should be considering 3.1 instead of 5.1 or do DB's give that much leeway on speaker placement?
- Bravus 10D versus a comparable SVS offering?
More questions to come I'm sure and thanks for any input.
Hello and welcome to the forum!
Yes the 2310 is a great choice for your usage and size space. I don't think the DBs are going to work very well for you however given that you will be sitting in a corner. They are designed to be directly to your sides and need 2-3 feet to the rear to work ideally since the woofers are at angles. A front firing speaker like the 4B or 5B is probably going to be a better choice, or you could go with in ceiling surrounds as well.
I'd say the WF-34 is a comparable system, even though the towers have three woofers since they are 4.5" as opposed to the 5.25" in the 5T so the total woofer surface area is only slightly less in the 5T and the specs for both speakers are similar.
The difference in sound quality between our speakers and Klipsch is no small matter though, as their speakers do have much more emphasis on the high frequencies than ours. In fact I'd even say that's the biggest difference. Another one is that we use HDF in our cabinets while they use MDF, which makes are cabinets quite solid and less prone to any unwanted resonance.
I'd be happy to compare our Bravus 10D to an SVS sub, but it appears their website is down at the moment and I'm not familiar with their models off the top of my head so perhaps someone else can be of assistance there.
I hope that helps but please let me know if you have other questions!