or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › *** The Official APERION Thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 188

post #5611 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcisbig View Post

Blueste, how do you like the new Verus Surrounds? I haven't heard anything about them yet...

I was pleasantly surprised. At first, I was really disappointed they didn't stick with a vertical array design as in the 5DB. However, they sound really nice. (How's that for an audiophile description? ) I don't listen to a lot of multi-channel music, so for my use they work well.

With that being said, I would love to see them come out with a vertical array design.

Blue
post #5612 of 6860
Those are some great replies, keepem coming guys. This is truly insightful.
post #5613 of 6860
I am looking closely at the Verus Grand bookshelves for a two-channel setup in my attic that also includes a good sub (I am using the Audioengine A5s for now).

The Verus are among my final contenders. I am also looking at the Focal Chorus 807v, Totem Mite and Energy Veritas 5.1.

I like the Chorus for its balance, warmth, lyricism and detail at higher levels.

The Totem Mite puts out tight, mighty punch for its size and is extremely detailed. I love Totem despite an occasional coolness to its sound.

The Energy Veritas is just a terrric all rounder in the classic Canadian style and almost as beautiful as the Verus.

Wonder if anyone has heard any of these other three and can compare to the Verus Grand.
post #5614 of 6860
Hi - I'm in the process of upgrading my HT speakers, but in reality this system is primarily (80%+) for listening to music. After doing some research I'd like to try out the Aperion Intimus 4t towers and matching center to go with my Pioneer svx-52 receiver. But now I'm wondering if they will be sufficient to fill a room that is 20x22 with 8' ceilings? I will have an existing sub that I will use for the time being. I'd appreciate any insights or comments.
post #5615 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wrangler View Post

Hi - I'm in the process of upgrading my HT speakers, but in reality this system is primarily (80%+) for listening to music. After doing some research I'd like to try out the Aperion Intimus 4t towers and matching center to go with my Pioneer svx-52 receiver. But now I'm wondering if they will be sufficient to fill a room that is 20x22 with 8' ceilings? I will have an existing sub that I will use for the time being. I'd appreciate any insights or comments.

For music, they will be small for that room.
post #5616 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wrangler View Post

Hi - I'm in the process of upgrading my HT speakers, but in reality this system is primarily (80%+) for listening to music. After doing some research I'd like to try out the Aperion Intimus 4t towers and matching center to go with my Pioneer svx-52 receiver. But now I'm wondering if they will be sufficient to fill a room that is 20x22 with 8' ceilings? I will have an existing sub that I will use for the time being. I'd appreciate any insights or comments.

I have the slightly larger Verus Forte Towers and their limit is close to my set-up of 15 X 20...you probably need to look at some larger towers or build a wall . A decent deal to be had on the 633T series on Audiogon for <$500/pair used.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....timus-633-T-To
post #5617 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I have the slightly larger Verus Forte Towers and their limit is close to my set-up of 15 X 20...you probably need to look at some larger towers or build a wall . A decent deal to be had on the 633T series on Audiogon for <$500/pair used.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....timus-633-T-To

chief would u do a VGT in that space?
post #5618 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaforty View Post

chief would u do a VGT in that space?

H E double toothpics ya!
post #5619 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I have the slightly larger Verus Forte Towers and their limit is close to my set-up of 15 X 20...you probably need to look at some larger towers or build a wall . A decent deal to be had on the 633T series on Audiogon for <$500/pair used.

My wife chose the wall ... so if the VGT's fall outside of my pre-established price range that leaves me with the 5T's or something like the used 633's. Assuming the used are in good shape, would I be better served with something like the 633's or a the new 5T's?
post #5620 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wrangler View Post

My wife chose the wall ... so if the VGT's fall outside of my pre-established price range that leaves me with the 5T's or something like the used 633's. Assuming the used are in good shape, would I be better served with something like the 633's or a the new 5T's?

The 633s are large/70 lbs each and will easily have more room filling capacity. I would think they would outperfom the 5Ts in your space, they employ the same crossovers, similar cabinents...633s simply give you more speaker area and will push more sound. the 5T's highs may slightly outperform the 633s, but overall the 633s are a great speaker at <$250 each, just a generation behind the 5Ts.
post #5621 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post


The 633s are large/70 lbs each and will easily have more room filling capacity. I would think they would outperfom the 5Ts in your space, they employ the same crossovers, similar cabinents...633s simply give you more speaker area and will push more sound. the 5T's highs may slightly outperform the 633s, but overall the 633s are a great speaker at <$250 each, just a generation behind the 5Ts.

That's true but the 5T performs great with a sub.
post #5622 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

That's true but the 5T performs great with a sub.

I like the thought of the <500 speakers so I did check them out, but since I've actually never heard them, I'm a little reticent to take that leap. Plus since I live on the other side of the country, shipping alone is $150 so I probably would need something a bit closer to home particularly sight unseen, that and 150lbs of audio love traveling across the country could run into all kinds of trouble.

I didn't want to waste Aperion's money and I had some reservations about the 4t's - so I really appreciate the input as they're now off the table. So, now the 5t's might be worth a go tho, as I will be using a sub ... The cherry finish on the 5t's is also still real wood veneer -for whatever that is worth. Decisions, decisions ...
post #5623 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post


H E double toothpics ya!

Haha ok
I've got dedicated 14.4x20x9 and can't decide between 5t 6t or Vgt or vgf's because that size seems to fall right on the line of "medium but large will work too" Got a few months before I buy em tho which looks like will narrow my choices...still got wiring building and paintin to do before I get gear
post #5624 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wrangler View Post

I like the thought of the <500 speakers so I did check them out, but since I've actually never heard them, I'm a little reticent to take that leap. Plus since I live on the other side of the country, shipping alone is $150 so I probably would need something a bit closer to home particularly sight unseen, that and 150lbs of audio love traveling across the country could run into all kinds of trouble.

I didn't want to waste Aperion's money and I had some reservations about the 4t's - so I really appreciate the input as they're now off the table. So, now the 5t's might be worth a go tho, as I will be using a sub ... The cherry finish on the 5t's is also still real wood veneer -for whatever that is worth. Decisions, decisions ...

I have the same 633T's in my 18x24 dedicated HT. These are fine speakers and I have had many over the years including some highly regarded brands. They may not be perfect for very critical 2 ch. listening but I have found zero faults with them for HT. I am pushing 250W/ch into these and they have exceeded my expectations.

I paid full price for mine. These would be a bargain at $650 shipped and it appears the seller has the original boxes so I would not worry at all about shipping damage.

Best of luck with your decision,

JD
post #5625 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaforty View Post

Haha ok
I've got dedicated 14.4x20x9 and can't decide between 5t 6t or Vgt or vgf's because that size seems to fall right on the line of "medium but large will work too" Got a few months before I buy em tho which looks like will narrow my choices...still got wiring building and paintin to do before I get gear

I can attest that all the choices above will work in your space...I have the VFTs and they are the smallest of the lot above and your space is the same as mine. Performance wise, I'd say from best to worst: VGT, 6T, VFT, 5T.
post #5626 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wrangler View Post

I like the thought of the <500 speakers so I did check them out, but since I've actually never heard them, I'm a little reticent to take that leap. Plus since I live on the other side of the country, shipping alone is $150 so I probably would need something a bit closer to home particularly sight unseen, that and 150lbs of audio love traveling across the country could run into all kinds of trouble.

I didn't want to waste Aperion's money and I had some reservations about the 4t's - so I really appreciate the input as they're now off the table. So, now the 5t's might be worth a go tho, as I will be using a sub ... The cherry finish on the 5t's is also still real wood veneer -for whatever that is worth. Decisions, decisions ...

True, with the used you don't get the liberal factory return policy if you don't like them. But at that price you could turn around and resell them within a few days. Of course, most never return the Aperions...you also don't see many on AudiogoN...folks tend to hang on to them. Lots of great reviews/awards on them. If I weren't oversees, I'd be tempted myself. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
post #5627 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88wrangler View Post

Hi - I'm in the process of upgrading my HT speakers, but in reality this system is primarily (80%+) for listening to music. After doing some research I'd like to try out the Aperion Intimus 4t towers and matching center to go with my Pioneer svx-52 receiver. But now I'm wondering if they will be sufficient to fill a room that is 20x22 with 8' ceilings? I will have an existing sub that I will use for the time being. I'd appreciate any insights or comments.

Welcome..you will find this is a great group.

I read your initial post and the various replies, you failed to mention a couple of things that may help finding the right setup.

First question would be your budget, the second ..are you looking at a 2 or 3 channel since music is your main listening..or are you looking at a 5.1 or greater?

My thoughts are, if music is your main focus and budget permits..you may have the ability to move into the VGT's and add to the system as funds permit. Also..I think you will find that the wife would be open to adding to a great setup versus one that may not be suited to your room or needs.

A good 2 or 3 channel setup will be suited to your music listening and really do a nice job with other content.

Again, a bit more information will be helpful in the group chiming in.
post #5628 of 6860
Hey Guys
I've narrowed down my speakers to Aperion. This is what Im going for.. good combo? "
Too little sound from the 4T's?? Will be 100% home theatre movie viewing--
Room 15x22x8. Speakers behind AT screen. Have a Chase 18.1 sub already


Intimus 4T tower for L/R
Verus Grand Center Channel Speaker (spending the $$ here for best center I can get)
Intimus 4BP Bipole for Surrounds and Rear

Trying to stay under $2k for all -----

Thanks for any opinions
post #5629 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by filetandrelease View Post

Hey Guys
I've narrowed down my speakers to Aperion. This is what Im going for.. good combo? "
Too little sound from the 4T's?? Will be 100% home theatre movie viewing--
Room 15x22x8. Speakers behind AT screen. Have a Chase 18.1 sub already


Intimus 4T tower for L/R
Verus Grand Center Channel Speaker (spending the $$ here for best center I can get)
Intimus 4BP Bipole for Surrounds and Rear

Trying to stay under $2k for all -----

Thanks for any opinions

Why not get the Verus Grand Bookshelves instead of the 4T so your front 3 match?

If you're set on the 4T's, then I'd say go with the 5C instead of the VGC...
post #5630 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC View Post

Welcome..you will find this is a great group.

I read your initial post and the various replies, you failed to mention a couple of things that may help finding the right setup.

First question would be your budget, the second ..are you looking at a 2 or 3 channel since music is your main listening..or are you looking at a 5.1 or greater?

My thoughts are, if music is your main focus and budget permits..you may have the ability to move into the VGT's and add to the system as funds permit. Also..I think you will find that the wife would be open to adding to a great setup versus one that may not be suited to your room or needs.

A good 2 or 3 channel setup will be suited to your music listening and really do a nice job with other content.

Again, a bit more information will be helpful in the group chiming in.

Yes! No doubt about it being a great group. I've been a lurker for a while and I've learned a great deal from many of the posts on this site.

My plan is to start with a 3.1 system(we're just moving up from a stereo only setup), as music is much more important and we're still remodeling, so there isn't much need or space for additional speakers at this point. I will eventually add 2 rears to complete a 5.1 system, and I don't have much need to go beyond that as we are truly just casual movie watchers. The whole picture includes a 2-zone whole house audio system. Zone one being the HT setup and zone 2 being the remainder of our downstairs and living area and our outside deck. I'd like to keep the budget for the 3 speakers in the $1,500 range.

(More background) Right now zone 2 is driven by the receiver and we have impedance matching volume controls - eventually this will be off-loaded to a multi-channel amp, which would allow us to grow into a 7.1 system if we desired - but as I said that's a ways down the road.

(even more background) We do all of our watching on a 2010 Mitsbuishi 73" dlp, with rather craptacular built in speakers - particularly in light of the size of the room. And just to round out the detail -- the entire room is wood (floors, walls & ceiling) except for the back wall -- which is just a fireplace and made of stone.
post #5631 of 6860
good though on the bookshelves
post #5632 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by filetandrelease View Post

Hey Guys
I've narrowed down my speakers to Aperion. This is what Im going for.. good combo? "
Too little sound from the 4T's?? Will be 100% home theatre movie viewing--
Room 15x22x8. Speakers behind AT screen. Have a Chase 18.1 sub already


Intimus 4T tower for L/R
Verus Grand Center Channel Speaker (spending the $$ here for best center I can get)
Intimus 4BP Bipole for Surrounds and Rear

Trying to stay under $2k for all -----

Thanks for any opinions

filetandrelease,

I would recommend going either all Intimus or all Verus. That way they will be voice/timbre matched. I suppose some might say it's not as important for the surrounds, but I would personally want all of them to match.

Have fun!

Blue
post #5633 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueste View Post

filetandrelease,

I would recommend going either all Intimus or all Verus. That way they will be voice/timbre matched. I suppose some might say it's not as important for the surrounds, but I would personally want all of them to match.

Have fun!

Blue

Thanks for advice!
CM
post #5634 of 6860
Has anyone owned bot the Aperion Verus Grand surround system and also a similar system based on B&W CM8s? (or other B&W system?)

I know this is not apples to apples, but the CM8 system I had my heart set on prices out at over $7K and I keep going back and forth as to whether I want to spend that much. Most of the work is done on the room so I will soon be buying the gear.

At $3,595 on special, the AGT system is looking very attractive...

In terms of listening preferences, it would be maybe a bit more music but a lot of movies as well. We love the sound of the B&W CM8s, found the PSB Imagine Ts to be very nice, the Klipsch ones too harsh, and the Salk SongTowers are edging up into B&W territory and would be a bit of a flyer as we have no way to test-listen them (but from other people I have talked to with similar ears those would seem to be a great choice).

So any opinions on how these compare?

(Apologies if this has been discussed but the thread is up to ~190 pages at present...)
post #5635 of 6860
I forgot to include a link to the thread I started on my speaker search, which has a lot more background info. Page 3 has a rundown on my trip to listen to the B&W CM8s.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1359942
post #5636 of 6860
@ Hicks: Thanks for the advice & quick reply back in September.

I just pulled the trigger on the Verus Forte Tower Surround HD package before the Oct. promotion ended

Now I just have to pick up the receiver, which after further education and research says the 3312 is worth the price bump. But, if anyone has anything to suggest over the weekend with regards to a different receiver before I order it, please do so.

t will be nice to watch a movie in 5.1 surround without headphones...been using Triton AXpros for sound for too long a time now...

Best of luck to you all, and thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread which helped me come to this decision.

PS. That light band would drive me nuts, if there is any it'll get a matte vinyl patch till the new house where we'll have a dedicated room with enough space for them to be further. Thanks for the picture, I was doing some trading with a guy who does vinyl and the pic let me know to include that in the trade should it really be required once it's tested. I'm a bit of an electrical tape ninja when it comes to LEDs, and curtains when it comes to reflections, or light passing windows...I know some people could car less, I've seen theaters with shiny brass candle sticks and decorative mirrors around, and they loved it, personally it would drive me batty.

-Cheers
post #5637 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post

Has anyone owned bot the Aperion Verus Grand surround system and also a similar system based on B&W CM8s? (or other B&W system?)

I know this is not apples to apples, but the CM8 system I had my heart set on prices out at over $7K and I keep going back and forth as to whether I want to spend that much. Most of the work is done on the room so I will soon be buying the gear.

At $3,595 on special, the AGT system is looking very attractive...

In terms of listening preferences, it would be maybe a bit more music but a lot of movies as well. We love the sound of the B&W CM8s, found the PSB Imagine Ts to be very nice, the Klipsch ones too harsh, and the Salk SongTowers are edging up into B&W territory and would be a bit of a flyer as we have no way to test-listen them (but from other people I have talked to with similar ears those would seem to be a great choice).

So any opinions on how these compare?

(Apologies if this has been discussed but the thread is up to ~190 pages at present...)

Hello there, check out this customer's impressions of the VGT to the CM9 (not the CM8) and the PSB Synchrony 2s:

Quote:
Originally Posted by waygorked View Post

Hey all. First post.
I just brought home a set of VGTs last night. My office is down the street from Aperion, and I have been waiting like everyone else for the next shipment. Matt called me about a set of A-stock returns they just received, and was cool enough to hang out after work until I could show up to take them home.

$1528 into the back of my car. I believe they have 2 more sets...

I am a former recording engineer, with a ton of big album credits back in the day, so my concept of good/bad is perhaps a bit more specific than most. My tastes tend toward flat and precise, rather than pretty. I'm the guy obsessing over counting the number of early reflections on a kickdrum, or the ability to hear the studio gate closing on a buzzing guitar track, rather than how big the bottom end is and such (for whatever that is worth).

I set them up in my big live living room next to a pair of B&W CM9s and a set of PSB Synchrony 2s that I have been auditioning, plugged into my Marantz 7005. No Audyssey engaged.

First impressions: these are an absolutely amazing set of speakers. They are very, very flat, and have remarkable detail and imaging. Despite the increased range of the B&W tweeters, the Aperions are far more precise, and have spectacular imaging. Their ability to localize a transient to a point in space, rather than just to a region, is something I have not heard outside a studio control room, at least not to anywhere near this level of precision.

I put them up against my trusted Meyer HD1s (industry standard powered reference monitors), and found that they held their own.

Unlike virtually every audiophile speakers I have tried, I feel like I may actually be able to mix on these.

Bottom line, these are the best purchase I have made in years.

And here's a brief comment comparing the VGTs to the CM series in general:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZETECI View Post

Bestbuy also caries the B&W CM series which are a step up from the 600 series. The CM series doesn't sound as compressed as the 600 series. I still think the VGTs sound better then the CM series and the CM series cost more I believe. I would have to do a true A/B comparison to point out all the main differences.
post #5638 of 6860
i'm looking at the intimus in walls (3 of the 6-LCR and 2 6-ICs). Moving away from free standings to get some floor room back. Anyone have any experience with the in-walls? I'm doing a remodel so will be able to get them in correctly, surround with insulation, etc. Am I going to lose much going the in-wall route? I'm willing to make some trade-offs for the space and hoping that they should be more then ok for my normal gaming/movie/TV watching.
post #5639 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethercept View Post

@ Hicks: Thanks for the advice & quick reply back in September.

I just pulled the trigger on the Verus Forte Tower Surround HD package before the Oct. promotion ended

Now I just have to pick up the receiver, which after further education and research says the 3312 is worth the price bump. But, if anyone has anything to suggest over the weekend with regards to a different receiver before I order it, please do so.

t will be nice to watch a movie in 5.1 surround without headphones...been using Triton AXpros for sound for too long a time now...

Best of luck to you all, and thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread which helped me come to this decision.

PS. That light band would drive me nuts, if there is any it'll get a matte vinyl patch till the new house where we'll have a dedicated room with enough space for them to be further. Thanks for the picture, I was doing some trading with a guy who does vinyl and the pic let me know to include that in the trade should it really be required once it's tested. I'm a bit of an electrical tape ninja when it comes to LEDs, and curtains when it comes to reflections, or light passing windows...I know some people could car less, I've seen theaters with shiny brass candle sticks and decorative mirrors around, and they loved it, personally it would drive me batty.

-Cheers

Excellent glad I could help and thanks for the order, enjoy!
post #5640 of 6860
Thanks Jason.

I think I am going to order 3 x GVTs for the front (going with an AT screen) and 4 x Verus Surround Di/Bipoles for the surrounds.

From the chat session, it sounds like that would qualify for the discount (may have to order the system and then send an email asking for the price to be adjusted).

However, still not decided on the subs - I was looking at the Hsu VTF-3 MK4 subs previously and still am digging them. Any comparison to those and the Bravus IIa 12Ds?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › *** The Official APERION Thread ***