or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › *** The Official APERION Thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 221

post #6601 of 6860
+2..........I just ordered a new stand to accommodate the VGC.
Here's links to a few cabinets/stands that should work::::::::::::::::


http://www.furnitech.com/ft72cc.html

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/collections/homepage/products/horizon-n702-xl-solid-wood-tv-console

http://www.bello.com/index.php?partition=show_product&categ_id=39&prod_id=325&tab=3
post #6602 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post


I have to also agree with the above 2 (unless you have a very expensive A/V cabinet).
The VGC is a perfect match to the VGT (as perfect can get for a horizontal design).
Like the last quote said, I would keep the 3 front in the same design family.

Ray

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have a very expensive cabinet. Purchased a particular Salamander because it would accept a 8" tall Klipsch center. The Salamander cost as much as the 2 VGTs and I love it. Hopefully the Aperion person will give us his opinion.
Thanks for your responses.
post #6603 of 6860
You could still use the Salamander cabinet if it is one of the Synergy units.
post #6604 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

You could still use the Salamander cabinet if it is one of the Synergy units.

It's 7 years old and if memory serves it is a Synergy. 4 enclosures wide with shelfs for 2 components in each Except that the center 2 have an open space (no doors) above the lower shelf. The open space is for the center channel speaker and is 8" high. No way to adjust height as metal support for bottom row (with doors) is fixed height. Not going to cut it off to reduce height and also would have to remove doors permanently. Interesting thing is that when I bought it, it provided the most height for a center channel of any cabinet I could find. A 9" inch high center channel is unusual so Aperion has had to address this issue before. Intermis C5 speaker sizes are close to those of the Klipsch I currently use and the Klipsch center puts out ample sound for a 8-9 foot seating distance in a very large audio challenged room. Thanks
post #6605 of 6860
Quote:
A 9" inch high center channel is unusual so Aperion has had to address this issue before.


How has Aperion addressed this?
post #6606 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

How has Aperion addressed this?

I don't know but I presume the question has been posed before. I would like to have their advice before ordering VGT's as well as any owners experience.
post #6607 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have a very expensive cabinet. Purchased a particular Salamander because it would accept a 8" tall Klipsch center. The Salamander cost as much as the 2 VGTs and I love it. Hopefully the Aperion person will give us his opinion.
Thanks for your responses.

Can post a picture?
I don't know what it look like and if it is to hold the TV with a bracket you could always look at the option of wall mount for TV.

Ray
post #6608 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

+2..........I just ordered a new stand to accommodate the VGC.
Here's links to a few cabinets/stands that should work::::::::::::::::


http://www.furnitech.com/ft72cc.html

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/collections/homepage/products/horizon-n702-xl-solid-wood-tv-console

http://www.bello.com/index.php?partition=show_product&categ_id=39&prod_id=325&tab=3

I like the look of the first one, but I am not sure if audio equipment woud fit inside those side space.
#3 would work for the equipment if you put the VGC (it comes with nice rubber feet that can be tilt to different angle) on the top and use a wall mounting option for your TV.

Ray
post #6609 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Can post a picture?
I don't know what it look like and if it is to hold the TV with a bracket you could always look at the option of wall mount for TV.

Ray

Thanks for the thought on this. Wall mounting a 70" TV to cabinet grade cherry veneer plywood is not an option for me. Only viable option is in the Salamander with the TV setting on the top. Being new to this tread, i don't know how often "Hicks" checks it so I am going to PM him for advice since I would like to order this week. Thanks again.
post #6610 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Thanks for the thought on this. Wall mounting a 70" TV to cabinet grade cherry veneer plywood is not an option for me. Only viable option is in the Salamander with the TV setting on the top. Being new to this tread, i don't know how often "Hicks" checks it so I am going to PM him for advice since I would like to order this week. Thanks again.

Just another option have cabinet maker (DIY if your handy with wood) built a small cabinet with matching color and something well done that is pleasing to the eye and also match the style and lines of your Salamander.
Set the 70" display on top of it and the VGC inside.

Just a tought.

Jason and all that work at aperion do take the week-end off, and so it should be.
Where I live most of us are always on call.
Jason always check this tread during work day, so you will more than likely hear something back monday.

Ray
post #6611 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Just another option have cabinet maker (DIY if your handy with wood) built a small cabinet with matching color and something well done that is pleasing to the eye and also match the style and lines of your Salamander.
Set the 70" display on top of it and the VGC inside.

Just a tought.

Jason and all that work at aperion do take the week-end off, and so it should be.
Where I live most of us are always on call.
Jason always check this tread during work day, so you will more than likely hear something back monday.

Ray

Thanks again for the thoughts on a solution. The added small cabinet would be expensive and more importantly with the current setup the TV is at the right height for viewing. Raising it will create problems with an old whiplash injury. Measured mid picture height carefully before buying current TV.

PMed "Hicks" then got impatient and ordered the VGTs. If he recommends any of the 2 center opinions, I can order it later. My old Klipsch is basically the same as todays RC-62 and has larger speakers and larger box (volume wise) than any of the Aperion options I can use. AVR EQ has successfully blended it with non Klipsch towers before so keeping it in use may be an option. Thanks to everyone for your responses.
post #6612 of 6860
Good to see that this thread has been active over the weekend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post

You're welcome Jason.
My experience with Aperion has been very good so I'm happy to promote your products.
I haven't been able to view the posts in your forums for a couple of days. I'm not sure if the problem is on my end or yours but I'll copy this post when I can get back on your forum.
Also, I asked Donovan to let me know when you get a pair of "A" stock VGBs in Cherry back in stock so that I can use them as my front wides.

Thanks for the heads up on the forum, that is fixed now. But actually I was referring to a review on one of the Verus Grand product pages, but feel free to repost in the forum too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmccorkle View Post

Hey Hicks- I'm moving to a new house with a bigger media room. Is there anyway I can still trade up a Forte center to Grand center? I'm over the one year mark so I'd expect less value of course. I guess I could sell it but would prefer the convenience of the trade-up program. Think of it this way- You'd be locking me in to buying Grand Towers in the very future wink.gif

Give me a call and I'm sure we can work something out for you, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

I am thinking about buying the VGTs and wonder which would be the best center match out of the Intimus 5c or the Verus Forte. The Verus Grand center is too tall for my AV cabinet. The AV cabinet will accept an 8" high center. Thanks

I would go with the Verus Forte, it has a closer sonic match to the Verus Grand Towers since it uses a radiator tweeter and Kevlar woofers.

However if you are in the market for a new stand here are a couple in addition to what Doug recommended that should work too.

http://www.wayfair.com/Avista-USA-Innovate-Milano-Plus-49-Foldtech-TV-Stand-Milano-Plus-ZQT1009.html

http://www.standsandmounts.com/OmniMountForte40SeriesBlackGlass42TVStandForte40.aspx

http://www.standsandmounts.com/plateauseseriesheavydutyblackwoodtvstand-se-v3-42bb.aspx

I hope that helps!
post #6613 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Good to see that this thread has been active over the weekend!
Thanks for the heads up on the forum, that is fixed now. But actually I was referring to a review on one of the Verus Grand product pages, but feel free to repost in the forum too!
Give me a call and I'm sure we can work something out for you, thanks!
I would go with the Verus Forte, it has a closer sonic match to the Verus Grand Towers since it uses a radiator tweeter and Kevlar woofers.

However if you are in the market for a new stand here are a couple in addition to what Doug recommended that should work too.

http://www.wayfair.com/Avista-USA-Innovate-Milano-Plus-49-Foldtech-TV-Stand-Milano-Plus-ZQT1009.html

http://www.standsandmounts.com/OmniMountForte40SeriesBlackGlass42TVStandForte40.aspx

http://www.standsandmounts.com/plateauseseriesheavydutyblackwoodtvstand-se-v3-42bb.aspx

I hope that helps!

Jason: Thanks for the response. Replacing or reconfiguring the Salamander is not an option. I will try the Verus Forte. I think the VGTs shipped today.
post #6614 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Good to see that this thread has been active over the weekend!
Thanks for the heads up on the forum, that is fixed now. But actually I was referring to a review on one of the Verus Grand product pages, but feel free to repost in the forum too!
Give me a call and I'm sure we can work something out for you, thanks!
I would go with the Verus Forte, it has a closer sonic match to the Verus Grand Towers since it uses a radiator tweeter and Kevlar woofers.

However if you are in the market for a new stand here are a couple in addition to what Doug recommended that should work too.

http://www.wayfair.com/Avista-USA-Innovate-Milano-Plus-49-Foldtech-TV-Stand-Milano-Plus-ZQT1009.html

http://www.standsandmounts.com/OmniMountForte40SeriesBlackGlass42TVStandForte40.aspx

http://www.standsandmounts.com/plateauseseriesheavydutyblackwoodtvstand-se-v3-42bb.aspx

I hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Jason: Thanks for the response. Replacing or reconfiguring the Salamander is not an option. I will try the Verus Forte. I think the VGTs shipped today.

Keep us posted how it work out for you.

Ray
post #6615 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

Jason: Thanks for the response. Replacing or reconfiguring the Salamander is not an option. I will try the Verus Forte. I think the VGTs shipped today.

Just let me know if you have any other questions, thanks for the orders and enjoy!
post #6616 of 6860
Hey Verus Grand Center owners (and Hicks)- My new stand has a center cabinet that is 13.5 inches deep. Even though the VGC doesn't look to be rear (or even front) ported, will that shallow of an enclosure affect the sound? I can put it on the top of the stand but the TV will need to be on a small riser for clearance. It would just look cleaner in the designated pocket for the center.
post #6617 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmccorkle View Post

Hey Verus Grand Center owners (and Hicks)- My new stand has a center cabinet that is 13.5 inches deep. Even though the VGC doesn't look to be rear (or even front) ported, will that shallow of an enclosure affect the sound? I can put it on the top of the stand but the TV will need to be on a small riser for clearance. It would just look cleaner in the designated pocket for the center.

You should be fine by installing the VGC inside.
There is a switch in the back just for this, just make sure it is set ON "Near wall or Inside cabinet" and NOT set "on Stand".
And make sure the VGC stick out a little (3/4"or so should do).

Best of luck and let us know of your impression.

Ray
post #6618 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

And make sure the VGC stick out a little (3/4"or so should do).

Hi Ray - any specific reason for extending the speakers out a bit? For my current HT cabinet (which has a lip around the edge), I had to choose between having the VGC extend out a bit, or have it within the cabinet, but angled upward. I tried both, and angling toward ear-level was much more important, since I had to choose.
post #6619 of 6860
Speaking of speaker arrangements, I'm really looking forward to the house move next week, where I'll have a much larger family room / HT space. Because I'm getting my plasma wall-mounted (finally!), the center-channel will move upward out of the cabinet onto the top. Also, I've bought 2 more VGBs to act as rear surrounds, to go from 5.1 to 7.1. (Though I might double-up on the SVS sub and take it to 7.2).

I'm having an installer properly put speaker wires in the walls properly before we move-in, to eliminate spousal objections. smile.gif The VGBs are probably overkill for surrounds, but the rears are a good 3-4 meters behind the seating position, so I can use the extra oomph; and I wanted to have the same speakers act as side surrounds and rear surrounds.

Interesting note: my installer reported that he's worked with Aperion speakers before, and thought they sounded fantastic. I confirmed that indeed they do. smile.gif

Can't wait to get everything set up and running. Now I just need to figure out which 7.1 blu-rays to demo with. smile.gif
post #6620 of 6860
I'm just about finished with buying my Aperion speakers and was interested in which Svs subwoofer you use/have? I believe the action movie "Jack Reacher" is in 7.1 and may be a good demo movie.
post #6621 of 6860
I'm just about finished with buying my Aperion speakers and was interested in which Svs subwoofer you use/have? I believe the action movie "Jack Reacher" is in 7.1 and may be a good demo movie.
post #6622 of 6860
Can you tilt Intimus 5T speakers? I own the ones with the real cherry wood veneer (not sure if acoustics are any different from current Intimus line though) and I'd like to experiment tilting them back but I am not sure if the drivers/tweeter is time aligned or not.

Anybody have good results tilting theirs back?
post #6623 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post

Hi Ray - any specific reason for extending the speakers out a bit? For my current HT cabinet (which has a lip around the edge), I had to choose between having the VGC extend out a bit, or have it within the cabinet, but angled upward. I tried both, and angling toward ear-level was much more important, since I had to choose.

On my set-up. The center is on a stand, still not perfect since it is between the 2 subs.
To answer your question. It is like a speakers away from a wall bondary.
The less reflection you get, the easier is to get to perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post

Can you tilt Intimus 5T speakers? I own the ones with the real cherry wood veneer (not sure if acoustics are any different from current Intimus line though) and I'd like to experiment tilting them back but I am not sure if the drivers/tweeter is time aligned or not.

Anybody have good results tilting theirs back?

I do not see why not!
Tilting a center is like deciding what angle your main should be.
Try and try until you find the perfect tow in and angle down/up.

Ray
post #6624 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyknuckles View Post

I'm just about finished with buying my Aperion speakers and was interested in which Svs subwoofer you use/have? I believe the action movie "Jack Reacher" is in 7.1 and may be a good demo movie.

SVS PB12-NSD, which has performed very well in my modest space. The new space will be 2.5x the size, though, so I'll have to see if I need to run duals.
post #6625 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmccorkle View Post

Hey Verus Grand Center owners (and Hicks)- My new stand has a center cabinet that is 13.5 inches deep. Even though the VGC doesn't look to be rear (or even front) ported, will that shallow of an enclosure affect the sound? I can put it on the top of the stand but the TV will need to be on a small riser for clearance. It would just look cleaner in the designated pocket for the center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

You should be fine by installing the VGC inside.
There is a switch in the back just for this, just make sure it is set ON "Near wall or Inside cabinet" and NOT set "on Stand".
And make sure the VGC stick out a little (3/4"or so should do).

Best of luck and let us know of your impression.

Ray

Correct since the VGC is a sealed box you can put it in a cabinet with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post

Hi Ray - any specific reason for extending the speakers out a bit? For my current HT cabinet (which has a lip around the edge), I had to choose between having the VGC extend out a bit, or have it within the cabinet, but angled upward. I tried both, and angling toward ear-level was much more important, since I had to choose.

If you have any hard surface in front of the speaker you'll get reflections which will likely cause a peak in the upper midrange/treble.

The speaker doesn't really need to hang over the edge, there just needs to be nothing directly in front of the speaker for optimal performance, so placing the speaker flush with the front of the cabinet is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post

Can you tilt Intimus 5T speakers? I own the ones with the real cherry wood veneer (not sure if acoustics are any different from current Intimus line though) and I'd like to experiment tilting them back but I am not sure if the drivers/tweeter is time aligned or not.

Anybody have good results tilting theirs back?

Sure you can tilt them back, but their off axis performance is pretty good so I'll doubt you'll hear a big difference by doing so.
post #6626 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post


Correct since the VGC is a sealed box you can put it in a cabinet with no problems.
If you have any hard surface in front of the speaker you'll get reflections which will likely cause a peak in the upper midrange/treble.

The speaker doesn't really need to hang over the edge, there just needs to be nothing directly in front of the speaker for optimal performance, so placing the speaker flush with the front of the cabinet is fine.
Sure you can tilt them back, but their off axis performance is pretty good so I'll doubt you'll hear a big difference by doing so.

I do agree with the above.
But if your can have the center stick out a little bit (1/2, 3/4"inches or so). I do not see, why not have the extra piece of mind for boundary reflection.

Don't get me wrong, you have to do what you have to do.
On my set-up, the VGC is back of the 2 subs and I wish I could place it in front of the 2 subs(picture on post 6560).

Ray
post #6627 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

I do agree with the above.
But if your can have the center stick out a little bit (1/2, 3/4"inches or so). I do not see, why not have the extra piece of mind for boundary reflection.

Don't get me wrong, you have to do what you have to do.
On my set-up, the VGC is back of the 2 subs and I wish I could place it in front of the 2 subs(picture on post 6560).

Ray

Sure, if you can hang your center a little over the edge it's certainly not a bad idea.
post #6628 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Sure, if you can hang your center a little over the edge it's certainly not a bad idea.

Hello Jason

All I was saying, is if you can do it, do it for the sound and the look second.
Hopefully once I receive the outriggers for my center it will make a little bit of a diference for the better.
A little bit more foward and about 2" higher ( still not what I am preaching).

There is so much more music I would Love to listen on these aperrion Verus Grand series but do not have the time due to work.
Every movie I listen just bring a smile to my face.

I just consider my-self lucky to find you on this site.

Best regard

Ray
post #6629 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Hello Jason

All I was saying, is if you can do it, do it for the sound and the look second.
Hopefully once I receive the outriggers for my center it will make a little bit of a diference for the better.
A little bit more foward and about 2" higher ( still not what I am preaching).

There is so much more music I would Love to listen on these aperrion Verus Grand series but do not have the time due to work.
Every movie I listen just bring a smile to my face.

I just consider my-self lucky to find you on this site.

Best regard

Ray

I'm glad you found us too Ray! smile.gif

Hey everyone, check out the Bravus 12D in cherry that arrived yesterday and is shipping now!

Bravus 12D Subwoofer Cherry
post #6630 of 6860
Advice please. Got my VGTs and a Verus Forte center Yesterday. Very happy with them so far sound and sight wise. Question regards the Forte center. Running YPAO on my AVR shows the Forte as out of phase. Never had this problem before except with bipolar surrounds. Checked wiring and made sure banana plugs tight etc. Conclusion is that Forte is wired wrong internally. However, switching + for - on AVR results in YPAO showing phasing is ok and speaker sounds fine. Very familiar voices sound like I expect then to and center blends very well with the VGTs. Volume level results are ~ 3 db above the left VGT and the old but larger Klipsch center the Forte is replacing. Should I be concerned about the probable internal wiring problem or just continue to enjoy??
Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › *** The Official APERION Thread ***