or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › *** The Official APERION Thread ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 228

post #6811 of 6860
I love my Marantz sr 5007 setup with Aperion 5 B/C and 4bs. The sound is amazing! I had a yamaha amp before which sounded good with crap speakers. When I stepped up to the Aperions, they needed more power-well thats what I told the wifey! Anyways, sounds great now and can be a pre-amp later. Dont need it yet, but maybe with grands....dreaming!
post #6812 of 6860
Well, I can definitely confirm that Marantz and Verus are wonderful match, as for if the 5007 will have enough power for when you upgrade;) ? That depends on the size of your room and how loud you like your music. We're always telling our customers that having more power is much safer on the speakers than not enough. Our general rule of thumb is if you find yourself turning your system to 80% of the receiver volume level for standard listening, you're probably a candidate for a power amp.

I'm curious on another pairing... we had a customer come in a purchase a pair of 5T's for his new place and was going to run them with an older Mcintosh MC202 I believe. Something tells me that it will sound alright:)
post #6813 of 6860
any idea if the Amazon store will be restocked? I have a bunch of gift cards and I am looking for the Verus Forte Center Channel in Piano Black. I can only find the cherry wood finish
post #6814 of 6860
post #6815 of 6860
I have a pair of Versus Grand Bookshelves and Center. No sub yet, so I've been running them all the way down to their full extension. However, I am looking at SVS, and their merlin software recommends setting the cross over at 100Hz.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

This doesn't make much sense to me. I would have expected to set the cross over no higher than 80Hz, and perhaps as low as 60Hz. Does anyone understand why this would be the case? I would think at 100Hz, the subwoofer is localizable, and if so, why set the cross over so high?

What would your recommendations be for a cross over? Does it depend on room size?

Thanks...
post #6816 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinwl View Post

I have a pair of Versus Grand Bookshelves and Center. No sub yet, so I've been running them all the way down to their full extension. However, I am looking at SVS, and their merlin software recommends setting the cross over at 100Hz.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

This doesn't make much sense to me. I would have expected to set the cross over no higher than 80Hz, and perhaps as low as 60Hz. Does anyone understand why this would be the case? I would think at 100Hz, the subwoofer is localizable, and if so, why set the cross over so high?

What would your recommendations be for a cross over? Does it depend on room size?

Thanks...

I have the Versus towers, center and use the bookshelves as side surrounds. All are set to crossover at 80. I have an SVS PB12-NSD and 2 Klipsch RW 12s for bass. Happy with the 80 hz crossover but taking the towers down to 60 didn't add anything other than to the load on the AVR. Happy with the SVS. Good bass for the $. Give them a call if you still have concerns.
post #6817 of 6860
Changed my mind and I am going to go with the Grand Center channel speaker... Im excited...

Question is, where the heck do you guys put this thing? It is huge!!

If I place it inside my TV stand, is it going to create a booming effect?
post #6818 of 6860
^ I have a Salamander AV console that I had to modify in order to fit the VGC. The front of the speaker is about 1 inch back from the outside lip of the console. I would not recess it more than that. Also aim the speaker at the main listening position.
post #6819 of 6860
Hey Notoriusjt2,

The Verus Grand Center is a sealed cabinet and so I wouldn't expect too much of a Booming effect from your cabinet, especially if the front of the center isn't enclosed as well. Additionally the Grand Center has a "VoiceRight" switch on the back that will slightly alter the the bass response of the center for better sound, depending on your placement of either in a cabinet or not.

-Mike
post #6820 of 6860
My new house has a 17' x 24.5' living room with a 10' ceiling. Directly behind the living room is the kitchen with a 9' ceiling. I'm torn with what to do about 5.1 surround. I have a recently purchased set of Grand Verus fronts and center. I'll start off by saying I do not have a method to place surrounds at the optimally slightly above and behind the listener. I can:

1. Place the surrounds directly above (and perhaps slightly behind) the listening area with flush mount in-ceiling speakers or bookshelves with a ceiling mount.
2. Place bookshelf surrounds above and behind the listening area on the 1' ceiling drop at the kitchen.

As you can see from the picture, the listening area (home theater chairs) will be behind the ceiling fan, but in front of the dropped kitchen ceiling.

My question is: Should I find a pair of silk tweeter in-ceiling speakers, or purchase a pair of Grand Verus bookshelf speakers (which will voice match the fronts/center). If the latter, I'm angling towards hanging them on the kitchen dropped ceiling on wall mounts as that is wood all the way across.

post #6821 of 6860
I would get whatever works best for placement and wouldn't worry about timbre matching the surrounds to your fronts unless you listen to 5.1 music. With the kind of ambient sounds that are typically thrown at your surround channels, timbre matching surrounds is just not that important IMO.
post #6822 of 6860
Hey Thisledown,

I agree with DougReim about your choice for surrounds. There are quite a few of our customers who are using our In-wall or In-ceiling speaker for surrounds and are completely happy with them. In our showroom here in Portland, we can switch between the different surround speakers while viewing a movie and the amount of surround information sent directly to those speakers is indeed quite limited. Sonically, you would notice a difference if you did an A-B listening comparison between a Verus Grand Bookshelf or an In-wall speaker alone, but when watching a movie, the majority of the sound is coming out of the front 3 speakers and the subwoofer. Another thing to remember is that the surrounds are there to enhance the movie, not distract you from it, so I think In-ceilings will work great. Our In-ceiling speakers also have an aimable tweeter so you can angle them toward your seating area as well for best performance.
post #6823 of 6860
Thanks for the advice Doug & Mike. I think I'll end up using the Intimus L6-IC for the surrounds, then.
post #6824 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriusjt2 View Post

any idea if the Amazon store will be restocked? I have a bunch of gift cards and I am looking for the Verus Forte Center Channel in Piano Black. I can only find the cherry wood finish

I know you went with the Grand Center (you're gonna love it!) But the Forte center in Black is back up on Amazon.
post #6825 of 6860
Hi folks - I currently have the PSB Image B25 Bookshelves with C60 Center. I've been looking around for alternatives as I am not completely satisfied with the PSB, particularly certain details and clarity. I've been looking at the Verus Grand Bookshelves and Verus Grand Center (Perhaps the towers instead). My listening habits are almost completely TV / Movie - has anyone direct experience with the Verus Grand vs PSB image? Someone had posted a while back not hearing a difference to justify the upgrade. I'm looking for other opinions. The 30 day trial is not a seller to me as I am in Canada and while the shipping / duties are fair I am gathering more information before I take the risk.
post #6826 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by devotech View Post

Hi folks - I currently have the PSB Image B25 Bookshelves with C60 Center. I've been looking around for alternatives as I am not completely satisfied with the PSB, particularly certain details and clarity. I've been looking at the Verus Grand Bookshelves and Verus Grand Center (Perhaps the towers instead). My listening habits are almost completely TV / Movie - has anyone direct experience with the Verus Grand vs PSB image? Someone had posted a while back not hearing a difference to justify the upgrade. I'm looking for other opinions. The 30 day trial is not a seller to me as I am in Canada and while the shipping / duties are fair I am gathering more information before I take the risk.
That was me. I had the image B6 and tried the verus grand bookshelf. I saw it as a lateral move. So I returned the verus.
post #6827 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

That was me. I had the image B6 and tried the verus grand bookshelf. I saw it as a lateral move. So I returned the verus.

Brian - I imagine the B6 are better than my B25 but Id think they are close. Did you try the Verus Center? The design with the stacked tweeter and mid looks like it could out perform my C60.
post #6828 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by devotech View Post

Brian - I imagine the B6 are better than my B25 but Id think they are close. Did you try the Verus Center? The design with the stacked tweeter and mid looks like it could out perform my C60.
Yes I tried the center as well. Again I didn't notice a big difference. However when moving to the imagine line I noticed a huge difference.

But for me the price associated in the upgrade to verus was way too high with very little if any gain
post #6829 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

However when moving to the imagine line I noticed a huge difference.

I forgot about your upgrade Brian. Any plans to get the imagine center?
post #6830 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by devotech View Post

I forgot about your upgrade Brian. Any plans to get the imagine center?
Not anytime soon. Since it won't fit in my console frown.gif
post #6831 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Not anytime soon. Since it won't fit in my console frown.gif

Could just build a new one ; D
post #6832 of 6860
Haha. True
post #6833 of 6860

I am seriously considering an Aperion purchase.  I live in Portland so I've been able to listen to them a bit.  I only listened to the Intimus line, but now I'm considering getting a mix of Grand/Intimus.  I have a question for the people of this forum.

 

Would you recommend that I get the 5t Towers or the Grand Bookshelves for my main speakers in a 5.1 system?  I know that the Grand series is supposed to be better, but would the bookshelf sound better than the intimus towers?  I will have a sub to fill in the low end.

 

I would be planning on upgrading the system within the year to hopefully having the Grand Towers and move the bookshelves to the surrounds.  

 

Also, I have read that the Intimus line will be ending, so I'm wondering if it would be good not to mess with them at all.  So many things to consider....hehehe.

 

I would love to hear people's thoughts on this.  

 

Thank you for any input.

 

 Cheers

post #6834 of 6860
That's what I have been doing, purchasing speakers a few at a time. I started with the AVR, surge protector/power conditioner and then started with the Verus Grand center channel. After hooking that bad boy up, the sound blew me away and was hooked on the Verus line. Then came the Verus Bookshelves and I used them as the fronts. Again, great sound and had to be patient until I saved for the Verus Grand Towers (which I'll be ordering next week). The bookshelves will then be moved to the back for the surrounds. The Verus line is definitely worth the wait and money!
post #6835 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandybear View Post

I am seriously considering an Aperion purchase.  I live in Portland so I've been able to listen to them a bit.  I only listened to the Intimus line, but now I'm considering getting a mix of Grand/Intimus.  I have a question for the people of this forum.

Would you recommend that I get the 5t Towers or the Grand Bookshelves for my main speakers in a 5.1 system?  I know that the Grand series is supposed to be better, but would the bookshelf sound better than the intimus towers?  I will have a sub to fill in the low end.

I would be planning on upgrading the system within the year to hopefully having the Grand Towers and move the bookshelves to the surrounds.  

Also, I have read that the Intimus line will be ending, so I'm wondering if it would be good not to mess with them at all.  So many things to consider....hehehe.

I would love to hear people's thoughts on this.  

Thank you for any input.

 Cheers
check your personal messages.
post #6836 of 6860
I'm looking at the 5b bookshelf. Mainly for 2.1/3.1 living room setup. Mostly movies/TV and music. They will be driven by a Denon Avr X2000. Other considerations are Ascend cbm-170 and HVL-1. Anyone have heard any of these compared to the 5b's. I already have a sub. living room is 13x18'.
post #6837 of 6860

see below, could not figure out how to delete this post.

post #6838 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopkins View Post

Hey Everyone,

It's been a busy holiday season so far, sorry for not checking in very often. We're cooking along at Aperion and have a few little promotions going on for the rest of the year. As for new products? Well, we do have a new product coming out shortly, so stay tuned and you should see an announcement in a few weeks. 2014 has some bigger product plans in the works, but we're keeping that under wraps for a bit longer. I hope you all have a had a great holiday so far and have been enjoying music and home theater!

~~So what are the promotions for 2014 and when will the new products be announced?

post #6839 of 6860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice View Post

~~So what are the promotions for 2014 and when will the new products be announced?

Hey Jimbo Slice! Thanks for calling me out;) Ok, well you've probably seen that we do have a new product announced that will be shipping by the end of this week! The new Allaire Bluetooth speaker system is really great because it can cover so many of your listening needs. We have Bluetooth 4.0 with aptX for wireless connectivity, Analog input for mobile devices or anything with an analog out, plus we have a USB charging jack on the back to charge your mobile devices while you listen. The coolest new feature in my opinion is the optical input on the back of the amp. This is great for folks that want a Soundbar alternative from your TV, using an Airport Express to stream music around the house, or coming directly from your computer or sound card. Like I mentioned, we do have some other things cooking up for this year, but nothing I can talk about just yet. I'm hoping to have another very special promotion up and running in March, so stay tuned for that one!
post #6840 of 6860

Just wanted to make sure nothing to replace the verus line or a new finish for the verus line since I'm seriously considering it.  Was hoping for an espresso finish, but will have to go with the black.  Thanks for the quick reply.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › *** The Official APERION Thread ***