or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › HIGH POWER a Review! Part 1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HIGH POWER a Review! Part 1 - Page 3

post #61 of 3769
Tryg, I have a 92" (I know, it is too small for you ) HP screen and have an issue with it, I still see wrinkles. I already exchanged it once with Dalite and decided I would either purchase a new screen or cut the material off of the roller and permanently mount it to remove the small wrinkles. What would you do? Thanks!

Jim
post #62 of 3769
Jim, what kind of screen did you get? Model B? Model C?
post #63 of 3769
The main problem with Model B is that it's max size is 106" diag, while the Model C is available in larger sizes.
post #64 of 3769
haha, i dont even think my wall is 106"
post #65 of 3769
I have finally decided to keep my Panasonic AX100. It is a relatively bright projector. I have been using it on a smooth white wall. The AX100 is ceiling mounted(20" down, just 25 inches directly above my eyes, if I'm sitting in the couch) and 18 feet from the 10' wide image.

Now that I'm finally ready to choose a proper screen.... I'm thinking about the Da-Lite HDTV 16:9 model C, manual pull down, in 133" with High Power. Does anyone think this screen will be too bright for the Panasonic AX100?
post #66 of 3769
With that size of screen and the distance to the screen, you are fine. i am sitting 14ft away from a 126 Carada BW with my AX, and its perfect. i am curious if i will get a better pic if i drop it down like u have from the ceiling?



Walt
post #67 of 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccormack View Post

Jim, what kind of screen did you get? Model B? Model C?


It is a Model "B" with an extra 10" black dropdown with a Black tube.

Jim
post #68 of 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffexec View Post

With that size of screen and the distance to the screen, you are fine. i am sitting 14ft away from a 126 Carada BW with my AX, and its perfect. i am curious if i will get a better pic if i drop it down like u have from the ceiling?



Walt

I'm actually wondering about the opposite. Will I see any difference if I
raise the projector to it's highest position?(about 8 inches from the ceiling)
Will probably try it when I get the new screen...

When I first got the AX100, it was sitting on a shelf behind me, at eye level,
which I believe is the best location... but the noise bothered me too much.
(and also made the seating arrangement somewhat uncomfortable)

By the way, which AVS sponsors sell the Da-Lite model C High Power screens?

Thanks!
post #69 of 3769
"By the way, which AVS sponsors sell the Da-Lite model C High Power screens?"

Just get it from AVS; I couldn't find a lower price when I got my HP.
post #70 of 3769
Can we get curved High Power cinemascope (2.35:1) screens?
post #71 of 3769
Hello,
After reading praises of the people here about the Da-Lite High Power. when i got a good deal on a used Da-Lite Model C High Power screen, i decided to buy it. It arrived last Thursday. I have not installed it yet but , last night i asked some friends to hold it up while i did a quick test. Here are my surprises!:

I am testing it in my living room (HT room), completely darkened but, with light-color and white painted walls and ceiling. In this environment, I am not able to see any slightest difference in brightness or other aspects from my matte white gain 1.3 screen! Is this normal? I thought i should see a significant difrerence in brightness. I do not even see any reduction in brightness when i move away from the axis of the lens!

So i have got suspicious maybe this is not a high power fabric at all since nowhere on the screen material and the case is written that this is High Power. There is only one label on the case that says 'Da-Lite'!

Now is there any method i can use to test this and make sure this is really a high power screen?! The situation sounds funny but real for me!

Thanks, Ramin
post #72 of 3769
Thread Starter 
You would notice it if it were the High Power fabric.
post #73 of 3769
Hey Tryg, not sure if you have already posted images of just the hi power in action, was wondering if you had any shots with it with the lights on. Im looking at the high power because i too hate to turn the lights down when i have people over when football games are on.
post #74 of 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by raminolta View Post

So i have got suspicious maybe this is not a high power fabric at all since nowhere on the screen material and the case is written that this is High Power. There is only one label on the case that says 'Da-Lite'!

Now is there any method i can use to test this and make sure this is really a high power screen?! The situation sounds funny but real for me!

Thanks, Ramin

I'm wondering the same thing. Does Da-Lite put a part number on the screen
or the shipping box to indicate if the screen is a high power fabric?

Also, are there any companies out there that will allow returns on Da-Lite
High Power screen, in case I don't like it?(or not suitable for my setup?)

Thanks!
post #75 of 3769
Is your projector celing or floor mounted?

You could order free samples from Da-Lite to see which resembles what you have.


Quote:
Originally Posted by raminolta View Post

Hello,
After reading praises of the people here about the Da-Lite High Power. when i got a good deal on a used Da-Lite Model C High Power screen, i decided to buy it. It arrived last Thursday. I have not installed it yet but , last night i asked some friends to hold it up while i did a quick test. Here are my surprises!:

I am testing it in my living room (HT room), completely darkened but, with light-color and white painted walls and ceiling. In this environment, I am not able to see any slightest difference in brightness or other aspects from my matte white gain 1.3 screen! Is this normal? I thought i should see a significant difrerence in brightness. I do not even see any reduction in brightness when i move away from the axis of the lens!

So i have got suspicious maybe this is not a high power fabric at all since nowhere on the screen material and the case is written that this is High Power. There is only one label on the case that says 'Da-Lite'!

Now is there any method i can use to test this and make sure this is really a high power screen?! The situation sounds funny but real for me!

Thanks, Ramin
post #76 of 3769
My projector is on a rear shack. It is a good idea to order free sample from Da-Lite.

Thanks, Ramin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall F View Post

Is your projector celing or floor mounted?

You could order free samples from Da-Lite to see which resembles what you have.
post #77 of 3769
Yeah, I sent them an email Sunday and they replied this am that they would send out a sample. Can't wait to check it out. Although, if it's the bomb, I'm still going to have a hard time selling my wife on why we need a new screen.
post #78 of 3769
Hi Tryg, I may have missd it, but I was wondering what your pj and seating heights are. Your pj looks to be about 9' above grade and yours seats are normal heights. Just curious how you are taking advantage of this screen with a ceiling mounted pj...

I like the new place - & thanks.

Marshall
post #79 of 3769
if my seating area is 18 feet from the center screen, what size of High Power screen should I get? 119-inch of 133-inch? My projector is the Panny AX100.

Thanks!
post #80 of 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccormack View Post

Hey Tryg, not sure if you have already posted images of just the hi power in action, was wondering if you had any shots with it with the lights on. Im looking at the high power because i too hate to turn the lights down when i have people over when football games are on.

Put lights behind the screen to provide light in the room. The reflection of the light will be mainly at angles that do not reflect off of the retrodirective HP screen to your eyes. I have a table top light and bug zapper light (what I mainly use) behind my HP.

The light will also act as a bias light which will close the iris of your eye more to make the screen blacks look blacker for the light level of the room. You may want the wall behind you to be darker because that light may have a better chance of reflecting to the screen and to your eye.

With the narrow cone, there may not be much of the light that meets all the conditions to bounce back to your eyes with a high strength
.
On my HP, the picture has good contrast even though the wall behind me is white.
post #81 of 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makomachine View Post

Man I wish I had passed trig - need a different Tryg to help me understand what kind of gain to expect with my setup. Below is what I was planning with my RS1 setup. I was planning on shelf mounting the PJ at the back of room ~8 feet to floor.

Room: 21x14x11
Screen: HP 103"x58"

First row eye level: 3.25' @ 12' from screen
Second row eye level: 4.25' @ 19.5' from screen
Screen Height from floor: 3'

Any help on what we'll see? I'm weighing using the HP on the shelf or a Carada BW from the ceiling.

Anyone got any guesstimates for me on the gain in this setup?
post #82 of 3769
Tryg: Nice review, my question is: I just purchased a Pearl and I am currently using a Vutec 1.3 gain screen, was looking at going to a higher gain HP Vutec SilverStar... My current room setup is a room with low ceilings about 14 feet across the front and 22 feet in length and no Ambient light. Wanted something with some more punch to the picture because I am runing the Pearl in low lamp mode. Picture is stunning as is, but wanted some more punch, but don't want retna burn in LOL Would the mid-level gain screen SilverStar be the best for this application. Watch some sports on this TV but mostly movie viewing considering my 60" RP upstairs is mostly for sports etc.. Thanks for any input.....
post #83 of 3769
Vutec only sells the 6.0 gain SilverStar. In reality it's only around 3.0 gain. If you feel it's too bright you can always use an ND2 filter. I still use one with my IF 4805 and it has over 1400 hours on the bulb.
post #84 of 3769
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Tryg: Nice review, my question is: I just purchased a Pearl and I am currently using a Vutec 1.3 gain screen, was looking at going to a higher gain HP Vutec SilverStar... My current room setup is a room with low ceilings about 14 feet across the front and 22 feet in length and no Ambient light. Wanted something with some more punch to the picture because I am runing the Pearl in low lamp mode. Picture is stunning as is, but wanted some more punch, but don't want retna burn in LOL Would the mid-level gain screen SilverStar be the best for this application. Watch some sports on this TV but mostly movie viewing considering my 60" RP upstairs is mostly for sports etc.. Thanks for any input.....

High gain.


what size screen?
post #85 of 3769
Tryg, is there an acoustically transparent version? Curved version 2.35:1
post #86 of 3769
Thread Starter 
I DO NOT recommend acoustically transparent screens. You will have to contact Da-Lite. I dont know if they perforate this material. Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good screen?

Why curved screen? It's retroreflective and digital projectors focus on a flat plane. Theres no need.

(if using an anamorphic lens just overscan it)
post #87 of 3769
Guess I'll call Da-Lite - looks like everyone else has the same problem I do...
post #88 of 3769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makomachine View Post

Guess I'll call Da-Lite - looks like everyone else has the same problem I do...

Yeah, I think we all do. It can't ever be perfect, can it. If High Power gave you all that gain with a regular ceiling mount configuration, it would be too good to be true.

When I emailed Da-Lite, I asked them for a 1'x4' strip so I could hang it vertically on my screen to see how the gain would change.

They emailed back that they were sending out a sample, but didn't say what size. I'm expecting the usual 8"x11" square.
post #89 of 3769
I'm a little lost at the moment...

My Panasonic AX100 is ceiling mounted, but the lens is only 2 feet directly above
the top of my head when I'm sitting in the couch. The screen will be 18-ft away.
(either a 119" or 133" with the bottom edge 2 feet from the floor)

All the other seats are within 15 degrees of the center of the screen... all under
the projector... the room is light colored, with no ambient light(except for two
4w nightlights)

Will I see little or no benefit by using the High Power screen?

Thanks!
post #90 of 3769
Kathy, Sounds like your setup is ideal for the HiPower. With the lens only 2 ft above your head, you should get a large fraction of the max possible gain.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Screens
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Screens › HIGH POWER a Review! Part 1