or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Can you charge a PS3 controller with your PC's usb ports?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can you charge a PS3 controller with your PC's usb ports? - Page 2

post #31 of 66
Most likely the controller will not charge unless it's connected to an "intelligent" device. Most USB devices most likely aren't equipped to have voltage flowing into them if they do not charge or self power over USB, so the controller probably talks to the device and says "send me some voltage". This would explain why a powered hub wouldn't charge a controller without having a PC connected to it.
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperron View Post

Most likely the controller will not charge unless it's connected to an "intelligent" device. Most USB devices most likely aren't equipped to have voltage flowing into them if they do not charge or self power over USB, so the controller probably talks to the device and says "send me some voltage". This would explain why a powered hub wouldn't charge a controller without having a PC connected to it.


Not entirely true. I had a powered hub sitting under my side table to charge my PS3 controllers until I figured out the cable box also had a USB port on the back.

Some powered hubs work just fine, and some do not. I had a cheapo 10 dollar 4 port one from Newegg. I would just plug in the PS3 controller cable and it charged just fine. Same with my cellphone and mp3 player. THey charged without any issues without a PC or laptop or any smart device being hooked up to the hub.
post #33 of 66
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb#Power

Wikipedia exists for a reason....

Summary. You plug a device in, it get 100 mA of power at 5 volts, if it needs more it needs to negotiate with the operating system.
post #34 of 66
it seems my 8300HD will just pop up to the required 500mA to whatever needs it. It'll charge both my xbox and PS3 controllers as well as my Treo
post #35 of 66
Is it Possible to have your PS3 controller connected to Another USB port, such as a P.C or Mobile charger etc..to enable it to charge, But still be able to use it to play games whilst the controller is still charging?..
post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Don't understand why you'd want to do that when you can just plug it into the PS3 to charge and play at the same time. If you plug it into the PC it will make the USB data connection and not operate over Bluetooth. Possibly a wall charger wouldn't touch the data pins, but the posts above indicate that it wouldn't charge anyway in that case.

Are you sure about that? I've used my PS3 controllers just fine while they're plugged into my PC.

I always use my PC to charge my controllers, for a few reasons. Mainly because my PC is always on, so I don't need to have the PS3 on just to charge the controllers. Also the PC is closer to my seating position than the PS3 so I can still play while the controller is charging (damn that way-too-short USB cable that came with the PS3)
post #37 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pescado-g View Post

Off the subject a little has anyone had any luck using a ps2 controller on the ps3? I can use the ps2 controller in the menu set up and the web browsing. But the games do not recognize it.

??? LOL No, man.

It's a PS2 controller.

For the PS3, you need a PS3 controller.
post #38 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

If you plug it into the PC it will make the USB data connection and not operate over Bluetooth. Possibly a wall charger wouldn't touch the data pins, but the posts above indicate that it wouldn't charge anyway in that case.

This is incorrect. I plug my gamepad into my PC to charge while I play all the time.
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w View Post

??? LOL No, man.

It's a PS2 controller.

For the PS3, you need a PS3 controller.

Quite the timely response. I'm sure he can finally get around to buying a DS3 controller now that this is finally cleared up...

-Suntan
post #40 of 66
How long does it usually take for a Dualshock 3 controller to charge via a PC USB port
post #41 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

Are you sure about that? I've used my PS3 controllers just fine while they're plugged into my PC.

My bad. Must've been thinking of trying to keep a Bluetooth remote paired to PC and PS3 at the same time. If that's also possible I would love to know.
post #42 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post

Is it Possible to have your PS3 controller connected to Another USB port, such as a P.C or Mobile charger etc..to enable it to charge, But still be able to use it to play games whilst the controller is still charging?..

I had mine plugged to my laptop last night, charging and playing simultaneously.
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

My bad. Must've been thinking of trying to keep a Bluetooth remote paired to PC and PS3 at the same time. If that's also possible I would love to know.

The Controller has to be on for it to be able to charge via computer and play with the PS3
post #44 of 66
For anyone Googling this subject:

If the controller is off, four red lights on the top of the controller will flash red; this means that the controller is charging. If you're using the PS3 controller while it is charging, only one light will flash.
post #45 of 66
I charge my PS3 controllers with the USB port on my FIOS box...
post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post

For anyone Googling this subject:

If the controller is off, four red lights on the top of the controller will flash red; this means that the controller is charging. If you're using the PS3 controller while it is charging, only one light will flash.

Thanks for the info.
post #47 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post

For anyone Googling this subject:

If the controller is off, four red lights on the top of the controller will flash red; this means that the controller is charging. If you're using the PS3 controller while it is charging, only one light will flash.

Not always. When I am using the PS3 controller w/my imac, all 4 red lights flash even when it's on and working.
post #48 of 66
Just for the record, I use my DirecTV HR24-200's USB to charge my PS3 controller. Just another option for those who may need one.
post #49 of 66
I use the front-panel USB port on my Motorola DVR to charge.
post #50 of 66
I have mine plugged into a usb port that I built coming off my car's alternator cause gas is cheaper than electric.
post #51 of 66
Ok I had the same problem as most here, it dont charge while the PS3 is off which lead me here. Same as you. & why Sony WHY?

So I plugged it into the rear USB of my PC and nothing ! no charging no nothing the whole planet is plugged in to there!

I looked on YouTube and a guy plugged his in and it worked I was like WTF?

So I plugged it into my Front USB Ports which i normally dont plug anything into cause i dont like the messy look of having stuff hanging out my Antec Skeleton.

Guess what? you got IT started Charging it like a BOSS!
the little lightes flash and let you know its charging and everything!

So the problem is that the controller is picky about what you are charging it with so some ports may work while others dont ,, just to wiz you off!

Problem Solved leave it to a Gaming Girl to figure it out!

So its your choice
1 charge while PS3 is on
2 try different ports on your PC the ones that work on mine are the extra ones that plug into the motherboard
3 try your phone chargers and cable boxes and xbox360s how embarrassing
4 throw them away! and buy a new one each time

Enjoy
post #52 of 66
Try charging an iPad with a PC's USB ports. It's not just Sony.

FWIW, all my PCs successfully charge my PS3 controllers on all USB ports.
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Try charging an iPad with a PC's USB ports. It's not just Sony.

FWIW, all my PCs successfully charge my PS3 controllers on all USB ports.

I'm less inclined to listen to these comments... ...as there's only one size of font used...

-Suntan
post #54 of 66
5 Buy the Sony usb charger and let it do its magic. Yay, Sony gets more of my money and wins!!!

I've had the same experience with various usb chargers and pc usb ports. Never know which will charge the controller till you try.
post #55 of 66
I use either one of the four USB ports on my PS3 or any one of the three USB ports on my laptop and they all work fine. Never had one problem at all!


PS sorry for all the same size font
post #56 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

I use either one of the four USB ports on my PS3

I would be ok with that if the PS3 still provided 5V to the USB ports when the console is in sleep mode. But 90% of the time if the console is on I want to be using the controller.

-Suntan
post #57 of 66
I have a couple old micro-usb cell phone chargers lying around (as many of us do). They work great. I've never had a problem using them with my PS3 controllers.
post #58 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

I have a couple old micro-usb cell phone chargers lying around (as many of us do). They work great. I've never had a problem using them with my PS3 controllers.

Well, I'd like to retract this statement.

Although I've used the cell phone chargers in the past, I'm unable to get them to work for me tonight. I can't explain it.

As a result, I'm currently charging off my PC. Which is fine, except I have to make sure my PC doesn't go to "sleep mode" because that cuts off the usb.
post #59 of 66
I charge my ps3 controller with my Comcast cable box
post #60 of 66
My TV is on more often than my PS3, so I leave my controllers plugged into my TV's USB ports.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › Can you charge a PS3 controller with your PC's usb ports?