Originally Posted by MBL
1. When can we expect to see more LIVE concert recordings released on HD DVD?
Unfortunately, I don't have any data. Maybe Ben has more insight into upcoming titles in this category.
2. Why dont you try to give a release indicator of the xbox360 DTS update. As one previous stated - half the joy is in waiting for something, that you KNOW when to get! For myself I have stopped purchasing more HD DVD's, as I will need more specific information on update, before investing more money in movies and concerts with relatively "poor" sound stage.
I appreciate this. But it took me three months of trying to get you the last answer
. But I will give it another shot and see if I can share more.
As to more info, here is an embarrassing nugget. The reason the audio dynamic range is not where it should be is that the Dolby Digital/DD+ decoder is permanently stuck in the "night" mode. This is the mode you can set on your DVD player where the dynamics are compressed as to not wake up the others sleeping in the house. Apparently, Dolby certification rules mandate that night mode be on, if there is no UI to turn it on and off. Their assumption is that without such UI, this a portable DVD player and such, driving a TV with its little speaker which may get damaged with full dynamic range!
Anyway, the above is a silly requirement in this situation but I don't want to put the fault on Dolby. We should have caught this and put in the UI and do it right. So the update will have a UI setting with default being full dynamic range. This is why I said earlier that even normal Dolby Digital output will sound better. But per pervious posts, we will also be adding DTS encoding output at its higher rate.
The major part of this release by the way, is fixing title compatibility issues. Just about everything reported here and elsewhere has been addressed.
3. Also why dont you try to make smaller releases instead of 1 big solving appearntly all issues on sound, menus etc. Smaller and more frequent updates could be welcomed!
This is due to what we call release tax. We do a ton of testing which has to happen whether we fix one thing or a hundred. Being a big company, we can't afford to miss some critical step in this process. Nor do we want to have regressions where something that used to work, now doesn't. With so many titles to retest now, it is harder to do quick test passes. But yes, you could argue that we should have just fixed the audio problem early on in a quick update but we are where we are. As always I appreciate your patience.
4. Lastly - as I understand that you have been testing the new DTS-update, could you try to describe how big af sound wise difference it will be with current xbox360 connections (optical)
You should be able to simulate this yourself. Just take your DVD player and turn on the Night mode and then listen. That should give you an idea of the type of improvements you can expect there.
5. Super lastly - any comments on the rumored Xbox360 Elite SKU?
No comment really as those are rumors and we don't say anything about them.