or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Where Do You Buy The Majority of Your HD-DVD Discs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where Do You Buy The Majority of Your HD-DVD Discs?

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Where Do You Buy The Majority of Your HD-DVD Discs?
post #2 of 38
Got a prime membership for $20, got 10% off every HD-DVD purchase, and therefore have bought every HD-DVD (except imports) from Amazon.
post #3 of 38
Fry's and Target...$20 cash impulse buys...
post #4 of 38
Well my first 14 DVDs I got at BB, but I went to amazon a week ago and lfound the prices to be much cheeper so I've gone amazon now. I'd say 90% will be from them . May buy a few new movies from time to time at the big box stores. (I just can't wait for shiping somtimes even if it only a day)
post #5 of 38
I used Buy.com like a 2 bit hooker this year because of the Google Checkout bit. But for 2007 I'll probably look at getting an Amazon Prime deal going.
post #6 of 38
I'd say 15% B&M, 25% Buy.com, and 60% Amazon.
post #7 of 38
No reason not to get them all from amazon. Prices are much cheaper there. Wal-Mart is pretty good, but they have a paultry collection. Best Buy is pure piracy.
post #8 of 38
My local Wal-Mart always carries the big new releases. My local BestBuy and Fry's sale them for good prices too or I make them pricematch when they are too high.
post #9 of 38
DVD Empire...
I was buying at Amazon because of the 10% off thing, but I got sick of Amazons slow fulfillment. DVD Empire has treated me right and sometimes they will even send a pre-order out early.
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakex View Post

Got a prime membership for $20, got 10% off every HD-DVD purchase, and therefore have bought every HD-DVD (except imports) from Amazon.

Prime + 10% + awesome packaging (just got my latest 3 order shrink wrapped together with cardboard backing inside a box...FYI I usually get one disc at a time) = greatness.

I finally got my Buy.com order from early December today and now that Google is over, I'm done with them.

DVDPlanet was pretty darn good too.
post #11 of 38
Future Shop or Best Buy.
post #12 of 38
Amazon with 10% off!

Unless Buy continues to have their Google deal!

post #13 of 38
Amazon and Borders are my main places now.
I used to buy a lot from Best Buy, but with the discs being more widely avaiable combined with BB's absolutely rediculous prices, i won't be buying much from them anymore.
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post

No reason not to get them all from amazon. Prices are much cheaper there. Wal-Mart is pretty good, but they have a paultry collection. Best Buy is pure piracy.

Yep, that is how I feel. I don't have a prime membership because it usually takes some time for me to get around to actually watching my new discs. The free shipping option generally has them in my hands in a week. Amazon seems to have ironed out the fulfillment issues lately. I took advantage of the Buy.com/Google promotion and it worked well. I went with free shipping and got all 6 purchases in less than two weeks and they averaged about $17.00 per title. I just wish they would continue the policy. I have saved a lot of dough by reading posts by the AVS Forum members and I am beginning to feel guilty about not being a paid member.

I also want to put in a good word for Fry's Electronics. In my neck of the woods they continue to boast the very best selection of DVD and HD DVD content and their prices are $19.99 for most of the releases.

I avoid Best Buy at all cost.
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappcatt View Post

Fry's and Target...$20 cash impulse buys...

Fry's here too. Wide selection and typically $19.99 for HD-DVD, $22.99-$24.99 for HD-DVD/DVD combo.
post #16 of 38
I voted Amazon. But I think Beatboy is going to be disappointed when it turns out that the Percentage of people who purchase through amazon is very similar. After reading the non-stop tweaking of everything that is said in the HD-DVD section I am sure BeatBoy wants to prove that the Amazon numbers are not accurate to go along with his "72% discs with issues".
post #17 of 38
Amazon Prime
post #18 of 38
Fry's. Best local prices and selections as noted above.
post #19 of 38
For me in the beginning it was Amazon.com but have recently bought 6 movies from Future Shop with their deal. So i'm about 50/50 on both but will start to swing back in Amazon.com's favour in a few weeks once again
post #20 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post

I voted Amazon. But I think Beatboy is going to be disappointed when it turns out that the Percentage of people who purchase through amazon is very similar. After reading the non-stop tweaking of everything that is said in the HD-DVD section I am sure BeatBoy wants to prove that the Amazon numbers are not accurate to go along with his "72% discs with issues".

No, you are wrong in your assessment of why I started these polls, but I like the angle you've brought up. Lets keep an eye on the Amazon number and see if a higher percentage of HD-DVD's are sold through that channel as compared to Blu-ray.

As it looks now, the buyers of Blu-ray discs are much more diversified in the merchants they use to purchase their media as compared to HD-DVD, but the poll is young yet.

Good catch Topweasal. Lets see how this plays out.

~Josh
post #21 of 38
60% Amazon
20% Target
30% Fry's
post #22 of 38
For the last 4 months or so, and into the foreseeable future, 100% Amazon prime. When BB jacked up their prices, I joined Prime, and initiated the 10% discount offer. Helluva deal, works for the couple of BR's I've bought too!
post #23 of 38
Ditto the support of Amazon prime plus 10%! Although I do have a few impulse purchases from BB.
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

No, you are wrong in your assessment of why I started these polls, but I like the angle you've brought up. Lets keep an eye on the Amazon number and see if a higher percentage of HD-DVD's are sold through that channel as compared to Blu-ray.

As it looks now, the buyers of Blu-ray discs are much more diversified in the merchants they use to purchase their media as compared to HD-DVD, but the poll is young yet.

Good catch Topweasal. Lets see how this plays out.

~Josh

I am sorry if I am interpreting your last 100 posts but just about everything you have said about HD-DVD has been angled for BD support including comments and involvement in the Weinstien issue thread and the overall issue thread. I find it hard to believe you didn't start this to make a point in BDs favor.

But I do believe that either way that this information can and should be used (but necessarily used as gospel) to figure out how accurate the Amazon sales numbers. I just think that in the end that you will be surprised to find out that the two are relatively close therefore solidifying the amazon numbers as a fair assessment of both formats trends.
post #25 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topweasel View Post

I am sorry if I am interpreting your last 100 posts but just about everything you have said about HD-DVD has been angled for BD support including comments and involvement in the Weinstien issue thread and the overall issue thread. I find it hard to believe you didn't start this to make a point in BDs favor.

But I do believe that either way that this information can and should be used (but necessarily used as gospel) to figure out how accurate the Amazon sales numbers. I just think that in the end that you will be surprised to find out that the two are relatively close therefore solidifying the amazon numbers as a fair assessment of both formats trends.

We will have to see. As it stands now, it is evident that a higher percentage of HD-DVD disc buyers use Amazon as compared to Blu-ray disc buyers.

If the current percentages hold for the long-run, then it can be argued that websites, such as thedvdwars.com are inaccurate as they favor the HD-DVD crowd, only if the current numbers hold though.

~Josh
post #26 of 38
75% Amazon.com
15% Xploited Cinema
6% Yes Asia
2% Amazon.jp
2% Best Buy
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

We will have to see. As it stands now, it is evident that a higher percentage of HD-DVD disc buyers use Amazon as compared to Blu-ray disc buyers.
~Josh

If this is the point of your poll, I urge you to take a class in statistics. You need a much broader sample than what you are getting by polling AVS, especially since most people here get an extra 10% off at Amazon. You also need a much larger sample. The data you accumulate from two polls in two forums here is hardly enough to make a revelatory statement.

That being said, using the same logic, I will agree that using Amazon's sales numbers exclusively (dvdwars.com) as a barometer comparison between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is also extremely flawed and shouldn't be used as reference as much as it is around here. Sales numbers from the studios is the only thing that should be used as reference.
post #28 of 38
1 from Best Buy
1 from Virgin (I must have been drinking that day! $35 for Serenity)
2 from Target
20+ from Amazon w/ Prime Membership (another four arrived today)
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

No, you are wrong in your assessment of why I started these polls, but I like the angle you've brought up. Lets keep an eye on the Amazon number and see if a higher percentage of HD-DVD's are sold through that channel as compared to Blu-ray.

As it looks now, the buyers of Blu-ray discs are much more diversified in the merchants they use to purchase their media as compared to HD-DVD, but the poll is young yet.

Good catch Topweasal. Lets see how this plays out.

~Josh


just like not everyone buys at amazon. this pole is meaningless to actually say where do hd-dvd or blu ray customers buy their discs cause obviously not everyone is gonna vote that is registered on this forum and not everyone who owns either or of the players is even registered to the forum.

now it does give some kind of idea.

me ive bought about 7 hd-dvds out of the 60 i own at amazon. i have bought about 15 at walmart which is almost all the ones they stock and like 8 at walmart and the rest at best buy

heh today i bought scary movie 4 from best buy want me to photocopy the receipt?


post #30 of 38
I voted for Amazon but I've bought some of my movies (30%) from BB (all via Reward Zone coupons).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Where Do You Buy The Majority of Your HD-DVD Discs?