or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Any news on Disney and 20th Century Fox supporting HD-DVD any time soon?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any news on Disney and 20th Century Fox supporting HD-DVD any time soon?

post #1 of 107
Thread Starter 
See thread title.
post #2 of 107
Quote:
Any news on Disney and 20th Century Fox supporting HD-DVD any time soon?

No.
post #3 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rafsta View Post

See thread title.

CES is a breath away...
post #4 of 107
Don't you think that if there was news, it would be in a prominent thread (possibly in all capital letters) that would remain near the top, with lots of responses?
post #5 of 107
Don't hold you're breath... you'll die... really i'am not Joking..

I mean Fox is the biggest sony LEECH on earth, this is the only studio that, with Sony, STILL RELEASE UMD MOVIE ON PSP, even tought all the other company just stopped..
post #6 of 107
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwisetheBrave View Post

CES is a breath away...

Any buzz going around that Disney might jump on the HD-DVD bandwagon and CES will be the best place to shine some light on this subject?
post #7 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rafsta View Post

Any buzz going around that Disney might jump on the HD-DVD bandwagon?

No.
post #8 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

Don't hold you're breath... you'll die... really i'am not Joking..

post #9 of 107
While a Disney executive has stated to Bill Hunt over at The Digital Bits that they have "no plans," he clearly did not rule it out. Just remember that Microsoft denied that it was working on an HD DVD Add-on drive for the X BOX 360 practically right up to its release. Anything is possible and the numbers will have a huge impact on any decisions the studios make. Personally, I see Disney and Lionsgate way before Fox. If HD DVD continues to outsell BD through the summer it will be difficult for those studios to continue to turn their backs on the format.

I am hoping that Toshiba has some big hardware announcements at CES. I feel that getting low cost machines on shelves is far more important than the studios at this point in the game. So far there is plenty of exclusive software available and the HD DVD units upconvert so well that I think inexpensive hardware is the strategy that wins this thing. They need to convince people to replace that old DVD player with a reasonably priced HD DVD player. It will make sense to them when they realize HD DVD makes their current libraries look and sound better while also offering high definition playback.

The combo format strategy could be another feather in HD DVD's hat. Though I am not crazy about dual-sided discs, Many people will still have plain old DVD players in their homes, cars, laptops, portable players etc. I can see families buying these discs so that they are fully functional on all of their equipment. This fact affects Disney more than the other studios. Children can watch a VHS tape and still be entertained, however, adults want to see these classics in all their high definition glory. Having discs that are functional on DVD players as well as high definition may play a role here as well. It cannot be discounted. DVD hardware isn't going anywhere for a very long time. Put those Combos out universally at the same cost as any BD title and you have something the consumer will surely consider.

This is the crucial year and I hope all the players on the HD DVD side are preparing to pull out all the stops. Otherwise, I think it will come down to the shear number of software titles appearing on store shelves. By 2008 the number of Blu-ray titles along with lower priced hardware on their side as well could force many to abandon the HD DVD format. I hope that doesn't happen. CES 2007 better be impressive IMO.
post #10 of 107
I just got the Xbox add-on so I went to Hollywood Video to see what they had and it was frustrating to see the "Bluray" movies were not available on HD-DVD yet half of the "HD-DVD" movies were also available on Bluray...so at this point it seems like BR people can watch almost any movie available yet HD-DVD people are quite limited...
post #11 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

I just got the Xbox add-on so I went to Hollywood Video to see what they had and it was frustrating to see the "Bluray" movies were not available on HD-DVD yet half of the "HD-DVD" movies were also available on Bluray...so at this point it seems like BR people can watch almost any movie available yet HD-DVD people are quite limited...

That's incorrect. They are both very limited, with similar numbers available for both sides.

As for rentals, my local Blockbuster has both Blu-ray and HD DVD, but not many titles for either.
post #12 of 107
Little to no merit, but I can see a company such as JVC being a HD DVD hardware supporter in light of the recent move by majority owner MEI Panasonic to Kenwood. Correct me if I'm wrong but, Victor didnt seem to have all that much that has been adopted by the BDA even after all this R&D work. I'd seriously doubt this would happen... Victor going HD DVD. But I just want a better HD DVD Player!
post #13 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

That's incorrect. They are both very limited, with similar numbers available for both sides.

As for rentals, my local Blockbuster has both Blu-ray and HD DVD, but not many titles for either.

Well, at my local stores for whatever reason, this is not true...also, there is a thread here somewhere that discusses my exact point...that the studios backing BR are being much more stubborn than the HD-DVD people...but I'll be quiet now because I am incorrect...
post #14 of 107
Another clue about Disney's plans is to look at their product. They have been making extensive use of BD50, and making special HD features to include on the disks. They also talk about using Blu-ray's capabilities.

While it is certainly possible to use multiple HD DVD disks to the same effect, their current approach suggests Blu-ray exclusivity.
post #15 of 107
Disney is rather fanatical about protecting their product from theft and I think they are more comfortable with the Blu-Ray security than they are HD-DVD. That might mean a long, long wait for dual format releases.
post #16 of 107
I predict that Disney and Fox will remain BD exclusives. I also predict that BD titles will exceed HD DVD in quantity by second quarter 2007. I also predict that BD will equal or surpass HD DVD in both PQ and AQ in 2007. I also predict that many HD DVD owners (including those reading this forum) will buy a BD player some time in 2007 if they haven't already done so.
post #17 of 107
Sorry, not me. I despise Sony and their format. Over-priced hardware, software and empty promises. You must have consumed a little too much blue Kool-aid.
post #18 of 107
Not to sound like a cheapskate, but the first format to reach the $299 mark will get my money. This is probably true for many other consumers as well. I am willing to wait it out until then. My guess is by next fall.

Right now there are not any titles available that excite me enough to want to rush out and buy one this second.

Show me "Lord of the Rings" or Seasons of "LOST", then I may jump on board early.
post #19 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH View Post

Sorry, not me. I despise Sony and their format. Over-priced hardware, software and empty promises. You must have consumed a little too much blue Kool-aid.

Well then buy a Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips or Samsung player and only Fox, Disney, Paramount and Warner movies what's the big deal.
post #20 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I also predict that many HD DVD owners (including those reading this forum) will buy a BD player some time in 2007 if they haven't already done so.

This is already happening. Read the BD forums. Heck even Fettastic and rdjam own Blu-ray now. If that doesn't make you think it's got to be pretty darn cold down in hell these days I don't know what does.
post #21 of 107
When the BD player price hits $200 I may consider one.
post #22 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I predict that Disney and Fox will remain BD exclusives. I also predict that BD titles will exceed HD DVD in quantity by second quarter 2007. I also predict that BD will equal or surpass HD DVD in both PQ and AQ in 2007. I also predict that many HD DVD owners (including those reading this forum) will buy a BD player some time in 2007 if they haven't already done so.

Rarely do I see a post in this forum, with this many statements, to which I agree with every single one.

Greg
post #23 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I predict that Disney and Fox will remain BD exclusives. I also predict that BD titles will exceed HD DVD in quantity by second quarter 2007. I also predict that BD will equal or surpass HD DVD in both PQ and AQ in 2007. I also predict that many HD DVD owners (including those reading this forum) will buy a BD player some time in 2007 if they haven't already done so.

How do you exceed Lossless audio? How is Blu-ray going to exceed the Picture quality of HD DVD. This is AV Science. Tell me the science behind the improved audio and video?

If I go to Anandtech and they discuss a new processor the smart ones can predict the relative performan of a new processor based on historical knowledge of clockrates, features and other variables.

What I keep hearing from people is that I'm supposed to just co-sign their assumptions that automagically Blu-ray will leap forward in quality. The core question is how. If that cannot be delivered then you have a hollow argument.


I'm sticking with my prediction. Lionsgate comes over Q2 Disney comes over prior to Xmas 2007. HD DVD players will be $299 by end of 2007 and there will be millions worldwide. That's potential that Disney, LGF and Newscorp just cannot ignore.
post #24 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

This is AV Science. Tell me the science behind the improved audio and video?

Capacity
Blu-ray = 50GB
HD-DVD = 30GB

Max Bandwidth (Video+Audio)
Blu-ray = 54.0 Mb/sec
HD-DVD = 36.5 Mb/sec
post #25 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

How do you exceed Lossless audio? How is Blu-ray going to exceed the Picture quality of HD DVD. This is AV Science. Tell me the science behind the improved audio and video?

If I go to Anandtech and they discuss a new processor the smart ones can predict the relative performan of a new processor based on historical knowledge of clockrates, features and other variables.

What I keep hearing from people is that I'm supposed to just co-sign their assumptions that automagically Blu-ray will leap forward in quality. The core question is how. If that cannot be delivered then you have a hollow argument.


I'm sticking with my prediction. Lionsgate comes over Q2 Disney comes over prior to Xmas 2007. HD DVD players will be $299 by end of 2007 and there will be millions worldwide. That's potential that Disney, LGF and Newscorp just cannot ignore.

What he said.
post #26 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoniner View Post

Capacity
Blu-ray = 50GB
HD-DVD = 25GB

Max Bandwidth (Video+Audio)
Blu-ray = 54.0 Mb/sec
HD-DVD = 36.5 Mb/sec

shows how much you know. hd-dvd dual layer is 30gb

my copy of atl wich is single layer 15gb looks better then the 50gb copy of talladega nights i seen.

more space doesnt equal better picture quality.
post #27 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

Another clue about Disney's plans is to look at their product. They have been making extensive use of BD50, and making special HD features to include on the disks. They also talk about using Blu-ray's capabilities.

While it is certainly possible to use multiple HD DVD disks to the same effect, their current approach suggests Blu-ray exclusivity.

or it suggests that there are some substantial subsidies or incentives offered to use BD50s, that make it more economical for the studio over using Bd25s.
post #28 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1loudsuv View Post

shows how much you know. hd-dvd dual layer is 30gb

Oops, sorry about that error... corrected now.

As for the rest of your post, so a 15GB title looks better than a 50GB title, even though they are totally different movies. So what does that mean especially considering you can find examples of the opposite? I don't pretend to know what mastering, authoring, or encoding decisions each individual studio will make for each individual title in the past, now, or in the future, but give me the format with the bigger capacity and bandwidth for them to take advantage of anyday.
post #29 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoniner View Post

Oops, sorry about that error... corrected now.

yah i also forgot another 50 gig bd "click" movie that a 15 gig hd-dvd movie looks better..
post #30 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoniner View Post

Capacity
Blu-ray = 50GB
HD-DVD = 30GB

Max Bandwidth (Video+Audio)
Blu-ray = 54.0 Mb/sec
HD-DVD = 36.5 Mb/sec

He's talking about real science. Not third grade science. Since when does 25 = 30.
Go away yoyo. You not needed in this section. We have enough BR fans posting FUD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Software › Any news on Disney and 20th Century Fox supporting HD-DVD any time soon?