or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Bestbuy will have PS3 on Sunday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bestbuy will have PS3 on Sunday - Page 2

post #31 of 63
Just picked up a PS3 at Walmart. I first there around 11:00 to see if they had the Wii. They had eight or ten PS3 60gs and the guy asked me if I wanted one. I said no. But I changed my mind two hours later and went back to get one. That was the first one they sold today. They got them in last night. The guy said a lot people called to ask for the Wii, some asked for the PS3 20g, but very few asked for the 60g version.

Well, now I need to get some movies. I bought the remote control from EB games too. Now don't flame me, I am getting a Toshiba XA2 next week too.

Happy New Year!
post #32 of 63
There were about 30 of the 60GB at the BB in NE Cincinnati yesterday, 2 hours after opening. No one seems interested. Of course, I got mine. I think most of the rush has stopped.
post #33 of 63
Service plans are pushed REAL hard at BestBuy.

I saw a PS3 at target in stock. First time in a while out here in So Cal
post #34 of 63
In Salt Lake City it hasn't been hard to find the 60Gb, but it took me a few days of calling around to finally find someone who had a 20. Turns out it was a customer return, still sealed up. Probably an eBay'er who couldn't make a profit on it. I think in another month they will be very easy to find, and in less than a year (maybe 6 months) we will start to see free game deals or price drops. I got it for the Bluray player. I just can't see many gamers picking a $500 unit over the 360 or the Wii, especially with the poor game selection for now.
post #35 of 63
I'm just surprised at how many people would prefer the 20 GB unit over the 60. The 20 GB one is just as worthless as the 360 Core.
post #36 of 63
My local Wally had a 5 PS3s there and hadn't sold any all day!
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

I'm just surprised at how many people would prefer the 20 GB unit over the 60. The 20 GB one is just as worthless as the 360 Core.

How is it worthless??? Not to me...I have a memory stick slot on my Sony TV, I prefer a hardwired internet connection(I hate wireless, to many problems), and I can upgrade my hard drive if I ever find it necessary. Worthless to you is a bargain to me
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy288 View Post

Well, now I need to get some movies. I bought the remote control from EB games too. Now don't flame me, I am getting a Toshiba XA2 next week too.

Happy New Year!

Bimmer I've been reading a bit on the XA2. Looks like that machine is going to be one amazing HD DVD player, congrats.
post #39 of 63
I own a PS3 so I am not bashing Sony. The fact is that for gamers the Wii seems to be more fun. It does not have the wow graphics appeal but it does have something more important for gamers, the ability to get one really involved. I think we will see more and more PS3's sitting on shelves very soon. The rush seems to be over and at the price of the PS3 some will think long and hard about the purchase. Many have just pruchased the Wii and already have a Xbox 360 which has more great games available. I had a friends son come over to play a game on the 360 and he loved the graphics. I than asked him which machine he liked better the 360 or the Wii. Immediately he said the Wii. I think you will get this response from most non hardcore gamers over and over again.

Having said the above, the PS3 is probably the best Blu-Ray player available at the present time. It will also be more future proof since Sony will not come out with a new model every few months. The firmware upgrades should only make it better. I am also sure someone will come out with an accessory to support a universal remote. I would still recommend the 60g version because of Wi-Fi built in. It makes it much easier to do the upgrades. The cost difference of buying a external adaptor will be as much as the difference in the price between the 60 and 20g version.
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

I'm just surprised at how many people would prefer the 20 GB unit over the 60. The 20 GB one is just as worthless as the 360 Core.


What I'm surprised at is that people can make such outlandish, unsupported, and over the top comments as this on this board. I guess we are all surprised today aren't we?

I take the opposite view: The 60gb version is the real rip-off. The one and only reason I can possibly see for getting it over the 20gb is if you really need the wireless, memory stick ready AND plan on using all that extra drive space right off the bat. Oh yeah, and if you like the snazzy silver panel on the front too, of course

If, say, you don't need wireless (or prefer a bridge, which will work with more than one device and are cheap), don't care about the memory stick reader (if you don't own a PSP, say) and have no real plans for extra hard drive space right away (the only real use for it is to hold more downloaded demo's and content, and the thing is super-easy to replace anyway - besides, when Sony online starts offering HD movies/DVR services/etc for real even 60gb won't be enough) then you are paying an extra $100 for absolutely nothing.

Back when the 20gb didn't have an HDMI port there might have been a real reason to prefer one over the other but now I just don't see it.
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I own a PS3 so I am not bashing Sony. The fact is that for gamers the Wii seems to be more fun. It does not have the wow graphics appeal but it does have something more important for gamers, the ability to get one really involved. I think we will see more and more PS3's sitting on shelves very soon. The rush seems to be over and at the price of the PS3 some will think long and hard about the purchase. Many have just pruchased the Wii and already have a Xbox 360 which has more great games available. I had a friends son come over to play a game on the 360 and he loved the graphics. I than asked him which machine he liked better the 360 or the Wii. Immediately he said the Wii. I think you will get this response from most non hardcore gamers over and over again.

Having said the above, the PS3 is probably the best Blu-Ray player available at the present time. It will also be more future proof since Sony will not come out with a new model every few months. The firmware upgrades should only make it better. I am also sure someone will come out with an accessory to support a universal remote. I would still recommend the 60g version because of Wi-Fi built in. It makes it much easier to do the upgrades. The cost difference of buying a external adaptor will be as much as the difference in the price between the 60 and 20g version.

Wii is a blast...even for us over 50 folks.
post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

I'm just surprised at how many people would prefer the 20 GB unit over the 60. The 20 GB one is just as worthless as the 360 Core.

Explain your position. The 360 Core does not even come with a hard drive or wireless controller. Explain why the 20 GB PS3 is so much worse than the 60 GB considering the only difference is 40 GB hard drive space, wireless internet, and memory card reader.
post #43 of 63
I agree. I have absolutely NO need for WiFi (ethernet hard wired to my AV location) or a multimedia memory card reader. Sure, an extra 40 gigs would be nice, but it's not a must-have to me. The 20gb version is, aside from what has been said earlier, internally identical to the 60gb. There were rumors earlier that it wouldn't come with HDMI 1.3, but it does.
post #44 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post

What I'm surprised at is that people can make such outlandish, unsupported, and over the top comments as this on this board. I guess we are all surprised today aren't we?

I take the opposite view: The 60gb version is the real rip-off. The one and only reason I can possibly see for getting it over the 20gb is if you really need the wireless, memory stick ready AND plan on using all that extra drive space right off the bat. Oh yeah, and if you like the snazzy silver panel on the front too, of course

If, say, you don't need wireless (or prefer a bridge, which will work with more than one device and are cheap), don't care about the memory stick reader (if you don't own a PSP, say) and have no real plans for extra hard drive space right away (the only real use for it is to hold more downloaded demo's and content, and the thing is super-easy to replace anyway - besides, when Sony online starts offering HD movies/DVR services/etc for real even 60gb won't be enough) then you are paying an extra $100 for absolutely nothing.

Back when the 20gb didn't have an HDMI port there might have been a real reason to prefer one over the other but now I just don't see it.

That's a lot of "ifs". I would hardly consider the 60GB a rip-off when it offers those options for a mere $100 (you didn't mention the SD and CompactFlash slots which are commonly used memory formats). Just because you can make the case that SOME people might not need those options does not qualify the 60GB as being a rip-off.

As a 360 owner who constantly has to manage her hard drive space and prefers wireless depending on the location of the unit....that extra $100 was a no-brainer when I picked up the PS3.
post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-05 View Post

How is it worthless??? Not to me...I have a memory stick slot on my Sony TV, I prefer a hardwired internet connection(I hate wireless, to many problems), and I can upgrade my hard drive if I ever find it necessary. Worthless to you is a bargain to me

Because you are getting less. I, like you, do not have wireless internet, as it sucks. However, you get more for that $100, making the 60 GB the better one to get.

And when you say memory card reader, are you referring to SD cards or PS1/2 memory cards? If you are talking about PS1/2 cards, then that is a must, if you are talking about SD cards, then I will agree. However, in the long run, the 20 GB is pretty not worth it. I'd pay $400 for the 20 GB one, but definitely not $500. Then again, I'm holding off until March, and hopefully by then Sony will realize the unit is not selling and will lower the price.
post #46 of 63
Many people on this forum buy the PS3 in order to get a cheap Bluray player. No point in getting anything more than the 20Gb version for that.
post #47 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Bimmer I've been reading a bit on the XA2. Looks like that machine is going to be one amazing HD DVD player, congrats.

I am format neutral. I hate this format war but there are some good movies that are exclusive to only one of the two formats so I have both. Just ordered Black Hawk Down and Kingdon of Heaven from Amazon.
post #48 of 63
This was taken at an EB games store:

http://archivaria.com/DrKain/ILoveYouPS3.jpg
post #49 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

This was taken at an EB games store:

http://archivaria.com/DrKain/ILoveYouPS3.jpg

Those are not even real PS3 boxes!!!
post #50 of 63
I just checked Best Buy.com, they have PS3.
post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy288 View Post

I just checked bb, they have PS3.

I guess this is as good a first post as any.

Thanks for the heads up. I just picked up a 60GB. It'll stay in the box until I move in a couple of weeks, but it's one less thing to hunt down.
post #52 of 63
No matter how you cut it, price is going to be a huge issue for this system. I would not be surprised if Sony announces a Blu-ray crippled PS3 for games only in the near future with a price closer to the Xbox 360.

The home theater crowd is having the least issue with price due to the other high priced Blu-ray options. I am sure the other Blu-ray player manufacturers are feeling the heat of the PS3 eating into their $1000 boutique players. Hell when I was at Ultimate looking at the Pioneer Elite the salesguy comes over and I comment on how good the picture looks, but I told him up front that these standalones are going to have to come down with the PS3 being available in the retail chain. He hung his head.

PS3 is stuck in the convergence zone. Too low end for the high end boutique snobs and too high end for the average gamer crowd. Its has to be bothering the boutique dealers especially considering the PS3 is probably closest to the full BD spec (BD-J, DDTHD, dts-HdMA coming soon) and add the gaming on top. Why the heck would I pay $1000 for a standalone? Not saying that anyone who bought a standalone is wrong, but to me PS3 makes the most sense at the moment considering the format war.

BTW, BB at the Northtown Mall in Blaine, MN had a stack of 60GB units yesterday.
post #53 of 63
There is no doubt that PS3 is putting heat on other CE manufacturers and their stand-alone players with it's price/performance ratio (if you have any doubt, just look at the AVS poll on which player you own).....however, please keep in mind that this is a GOOD THING. This will force the CE manufacturers to add more features to their players to differentiate them, or to say it in other words.....'pull ahead' from PS3 in the features they offer. It will also give them incentive to keep those prices competitive rather then pricing for a high end niche market.
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU View Post

There is no doubt that PS3 is putting heat on other CE manufacturers and their stand-alone players with it's price/performance ratio (if you have any doubt, just look at the AVS poll on which player you own).....however, please keep in mind that this is a GOOD THING. This will force the CE manufacturers to add more features to their players to differentiate them, or to say it in other words.....'pull ahead' from PS3 in the features they offer. It will also give them incentive to keep those prices competitive rather then pricing for a high end niche market.

Agree!
post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdalcanto View Post

Many people on this forum buy the PS3 in order to get a cheap Bluray player. No point in getting anything more than the 20Gb version for that.


Agree, but if anyone is the slightest bit interested in the gaming portion of the console the 60GB makes more sense and it makes even more sense if you already have a wireless network setup.

I didn't purchase any games, but the free downloads of Motorstorm and GT:HD are pretty entertaining once setup for the Playstation network.
post #56 of 63
The WiFi feature was the #1 reason for me to buy a 60GB PS3. The ADSL plug is at least 35-40 feet away from the home theater in my living room, and I absolutely didn't want to pull an Ethernet cable that long.
post #57 of 63
Just bought a 60GB PS3 from Gamespot but no free game or video inside the box. Do all the PS3 systems come with a free video/game?

Tks

Sergio
post #58 of 63
Gotta download game demos; free copy of Talledaga Nights packed in first 400,000. If there was no movie, then Sony has passed the 400k mark.

fwiw, as stated above, you can go online and pickup enough game demos to keep happy for a while.
post #59 of 63
All I got was a booklet with several US$ 10.00 discount coupons for movies and games.
post #60 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

All I got was a booklet with several US$ 10.00 discount coupons for movies and games.

Same here. I bought mine on Jan. 1. BTW I was at Target yesterday and saw 6 or 7 PS3s. Looks like the rush is really over. Feel sorry for the guys that camped in rain and cold for 2 or 3 days and the guys who paid $2000 on Ebay.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Bestbuy will have PS3 on Sunday