Originally Posted by Maltby
A few points.
1. I can't recall any VC1 title that looked this transparent to film
This is just silly. This whole thread is based on this statement. Chad, are we supposed to believe you AB the finished BR or HDDVD with the film itself? Or at least compare each master to the final encode? Give it 5 stars, say it looks great, artifact free, film-like blah blah blah, just don't pretend you are in any position to judge it's transparency to film.
And no, I don't think much of the I saw it in the theater a couple of months ago and I know
2. Ignorant was probably the word Art wanted. You probably didn't like his inference that you are doing something stupid.
It was arrogant, however, when you tried to tell him what he meant to say.
3. MPEG2 is less compressed and been around a lot longer, so it's had more time to be refined. Ha ha, the office copier where I work has been around a lot longer than the new models out there, it's had plenty of time to be refined too. But it's not more refined, it's just older.
4. BD has a lot of room to grow and HDDVD is tapped out Time for some Cake and Eat it Too! Since most of the BRs being released are 25GB, they have to say these discs are great. The 25GB BR Covenant looks great. Now add 20 per cent more room to the 25GB disc and a more efficient codec and what do you get? tapped out.
For you, 50GB is room to grow. For me, it's unused/underused space I'm expected to pay for.
5. HD DVD has to get some major studio support soon if they are going to still be in the running a year from now.
If you think HD DVD is not going to be around 12 months from now, why don't you just come out and say it?
6. prove they can do more with a 30GB disc than they are now, more importantly prove they can do better quality in 30GB than BD can in 50, great. But right now that doesn't seem very realistic.
Why bring this up in a discussion about a 25GB disc that looks better than most of Blurays 50GB discs.
7. Microsoft has been spreading their propoganda
OK, you don't like Microsoft, and you can't spell. Are you spreading your own propaganda in an attempt to even things out?
8. doubted most would be able to tell the difference
After all this, you conclude that most people couldn't tell the difference. Presumably because they don't have the sophisticated equipment that you do, like that poor guy Art.9. What scares me is that most here seem happier if studios filter out grain, sacrificing some detail prior to compression
Why insinu8te this instead of just coming out and saying it.
Are you saying more than one studio using VC1 is filtering out grain prior to compression? Which two or more studios are doing this?