or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › Which OPPO DVD Player to Purchase?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which OPPO DVD Player to Purchase?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Heya AVS,

I am trying to decide between the three Oppo players which would be best for me. I have two TV's I will be using the Oppo player on, TH-50PX60U and a TH-42PX60U. Both of these are both 720p Plasma TV's and both have HDMI and Component HD inputs. I know I will be up converting to 720p mainly and not sure the newest of the three DV981HD will be much use but then again that's why I am asking.

So knowing my TV, inputs, and choices: OPPO DV-981HD, OPPO DV-970HD, OPPO OPDV971H, which one would best fit me?

Thanks

Chris
post #2 of 14
I would go 970 since it is the only one without a Faroudja chip, and thus is the only one without macroblocking potential (which can be a problem when matched up with plasmas).
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

I would go 970 since it is the only one without a Faroudja chip, and thus is the only one without macroblocking potential (which can be a problem when matched up with plasmas).

Thanks BillP!

Any others have input or have used these players with there 720P plasmas? Btw my 50" is 1366x768)

Chris
post #4 of 14
981 should do just fine on your plasma sets. Plasmas tend to show little or no macroblocking.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc View Post

981 should do just fine on your plasma sets. Plasmas tend to show little or no macroblocking.

I don't have either type, but all the complaints about macroblocking I see come from plasma or dlp owners.

-Bill
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I don't have either type, but all the complaints about macroblocking I see come from plasma or dlp owners.

-Bill

Those are all the complaints I have seen as well -- plasma and DLP (not to say that all plasmas or all DLPs have the problem; I get no MB with my DLP).
post #7 of 14
I am getting massive macroblocking on my CRT... with my 971.

would I be better to go with a 970?
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYWLKR View Post

I am getting massive macroblocking on my CRT... with my 971.

would I be better to go with a 970?

The 970 has no Faroudja chip, so yes, it would be less likely to enhance macroblocking.

-Bill
post #9 of 14
Hello,

I am a proud owner since January 4 / 2007 of a Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX60U and for 7 days I use an OPPO 971 as my main player. Short story, not good because mayor "MB". Sold the 971 to a friend and my new 970HD will arrive next week. I've also a Pioneer 588 that match pretty good with the Panny.

Regards,
post #10 of 14
Hello. I have the same 42" Panny and bought the Oppo 971. I returned it shortly after because it did have macroblocking issue . Dark scenes were particulary horrible to watch. I am waiting for the 970 to come off of backorder and then will order it.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Those are all the complaints I have seen as well -- plasma and DLP (not to say that all plasmas or all DLPs have the problem; I get no MB with my DLP).

What make and model of your DLP?
post #12 of 14
Oppo will tell you to order the 970 if you have a Plasma or DLP bue to MB issues.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by athenslb57 View Post

Oppo will tell you to order the 970 if you have a Plasma or DLP bue to MB issues.

I'm considering the 970 as well.... Would this issue be seen on my Samsung LCD (LNS4051D)?

Thanks.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthx View Post

I'm considering the 970 as well.... Would this issue be seen on my Samsung LCD (LNS4051D)?

As stated earlier in the thread, most macroblocking complaints come from plasma and DLP owners. I see it once in a blue moon on my LCD. I have the Oppo 971 and 981, but have never had a chance to demo the 970.

-Bill
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: DVD Players (Standard Def)
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › DVD Players (Standard Def) › Which OPPO DVD Player to Purchase?