or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › HD-DVD Outselling Blue Ray at BB...Proof.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD-DVD Outselling Blue Ray at BB...Proof.

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
The Tosibha HD-DVD player is outselling the blue ray players by a large margin. This is great news considering that BB is pushing Blue Ray more than HD-DVD....the people have spoken![/b] :thumbsup:



post #2 of 16
What about PS3 , im sure it says much longer than HD-A2
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 04 View Post

What about PS3 , im sure it says much longer than HD-A2

the PS3 a game system not stand alone player. Its not a reasonable comparison.
post #4 of 16
so that would also negate the 360 hd dvd add-on sales figures. both are very, VERY pertinent.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizill View Post

so that would also negate the 360 hd dvd add-on sales figures. both are very, VERY pertinent.


I agree that they are relevant to the outcome of the format; however, I disagree that they are relevant in this comparison as the PS3 is in very short supply as opposed to HD players and you have a much more broad base of people looking to get a PS3 - most of which don't even have an HD display considering the relatively few households with HD displays.

The only way you can make an accurate comparison is to compart the standalone players, but even then, the comparison is very contaminated and in no way can lead to any assumptions as to the overall demand for one player over the other.

Toshiba is the only HD-DVD player sold at BB where as BD has Samsung and Sony. Therefore is all three supplied an equal 100k units to BB, and an equal number of people (say 100k) purchased both formats, that would mean the HD-DVD player would be sold out, but yet the BD players would still have 50k of each brand available.

This comparison, although very interresting, is in fact proof of nothing.
post #6 of 16
Toshiba HD-A2, Xbox 360 add-on vs Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Pioneer, and Sony PS3.

Hmmmm, assuming they're selling at all, which one will sell out faster? The only dedicated player on HD DVD or one of the several players for Blu-ray?

Logically, Toshiba's going to sell out faster. And based on what Toshiba did for the HD-A1, there aren't that many A2's floating around to start with.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 04 View Post

What about PS3 , im sure it says much longer than HD-A2

The PS3 is available almost everwhere, heres the BB link.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....prd65900050007
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 04 View Post

What about PS3 , im sure it says much longer than HD-A2

Playstation 3's are in stock online now.
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB wesite View Post

Because the PlayStation 3 gaming console is available only in extremely limited quantities nationwide, Best Buy is unable to accept backorders. If orders are placed after our inventory has been depleted, we cannot guarantee PlayStation 3 shipment.

Limit: 1 console per customer. Multiple orders will be canceled.

New orders will be accepted as additional inventory becomes available, so check back again.

Keep in mind, quantities vary by store and at BestBuy.com. Remember to check your local Best Buy store.

somewhat in stock ,but not really
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 04 View Post

somewhat in stock ,but not really

lol, you can order it pretty much anywhere right now. How can it be in stock, but not really?

I have had about 10 opportunities to buy a PS3 post-Christmas and bought only once (the 8th time). I've since returned my unopened PS3 because I'd rather buy a Wii (did). I only got the PS3 for BD playback and then I reminded myself that there aren't any BD titles that I really, really care about enough to buy a 600 buck gaming rig. The Wii is infinitely better as a gaming console (except on my shoulder).
post #11 of 16
BB had 25 units per store this last Sunday, and one would think that they would be sold out in no time. I was at my local BB at 3:45 Sunday afternoon and they still had 7 of them for sale. With the bad press and the price of the unit, I say that it currently is a non issue agaist the set top units.
post #12 of 16
Quote:


Hmmmm, assuming they're selling at all, which one will sell out faster? The only dedicated player on HD DVD or one of the several players for Blu-ray?

Logically, Toshiba's going to sell out faster. And based on what Toshiba did for the HD-A1, there aren't that many A2's floating around to start with.

I'm prety darn sure toshiba will be distributing a far larger quantity of A2s than the combined total of first gen BD units from sony, pioneer, samsung and panasonic. So the fact that it sells out is very good news from a quantity of players perspective.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

So the fact that it sells out is very good news from a quantity of players perspective.

Huh? We don't even know the quantity they shipped. Or do you know something I don't.

Does anyone have any ACTUAL SALES DATA or at the very least a sales ranking, are we just supposed to assume that because a product is backordered this automatically means that it is outselling a product that is in stock.
post #14 of 16
Quote:


Huh? We don't even know the quantity they shipped. Or do you know something I don't.

We know the quantities shipped to certain retailers. So if you extrapolate that based on the size of other retailers you can get a rough idea of how many units are being distributed.

Quote:


are we just supposed to assume that because a product is backordered this automatically means that it is outselling a product that is in stock.

No, but when one retailer gets several hundred HDDVD players per shipment and only a dozen Panasonic BD players one would expect that if the HDDVD untis are selling out then they're selling more. Hopefully CES will pgovide actualy sales data announcements so we all know for sure.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbeal View Post

The PS3 is available almost everwhere, heres the BB link.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....prd65900050007

Wonderful - my $115 in gift cards at BB has been put to use now.
post #16 of 16
Check the latest owner's poll here at AVS. As I predicted a while back, the 360 HD drive and the PS3 are pretty much tracking identically as far as comparable sales (that would be HD DVD users to PS3 BluRay users for movie playback) so these drives will continue to offset each other, unless the 360 drives begin to pull away as the 360 finalizes it's win in the console format war over the PS3 (you all know deep down that the PS3 has no chance of catching the 360 anymore, what with a 9 million+ lead on units sold, most major games going cross platform and no performance gains on the more expensive PS3.)

So then we are left as before with stand alone HD DVD players vs. stand alone BluRay players to make the difference in the marketplace (that and the more robust 360 software attach rates).

Stand alone HD DVD players are killing stand alone BluRay players, and it's only going to get worse (or better depending on where you stand) as those $399 and $299 HD DVD stand alone players hit the streets.

Any studio that backs BluRay exclusively at this point needs to get some new management in place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › HD-DVD Outselling Blue Ray at BB...Proof.