or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › I think my PS3 is going back to BB...humming noise has me worried long term.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I think my PS3 is going back to BB...humming noise has me worried long term.

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
I just picked up the PS3 this week from BB when they got their latest shipment in(60GB model) and also picked up a few BD discs as well. While I'm not one to really buy a component that doubles as something else, the low price point was really hard to resist for a BD player. I own the Toshiba A1 and have had it since the summer, and while I thoroughly enjoy the picture and sound, having it limited to 1080i and the slooooooooooooow boot really gets to me sometimes. Instead of selling it and trying a newer HD DVD player, I figured I'd give BD a try.

Picture wise in case anyone cares, I can't tell the difference between BD & HDDVD, and my eyes are pretty well trained. Even with one outputing 1080i and one outputting 1080p(I'm projecting it using the Sony Pearl). Neither could I tell if one sounded better than the other, although the A1 was a LOT easier to setup. I have no idea about the different sound options on the PS3, lots of decimal numbers and Hz, but I have no idea what my receiver can handle or what the PS3 should be set to(Pioneer Elite 84TXSi in case some one knows and wants to share which I should have selected?).

Anyway, back on topic, my PS3 makes my speakers hum or hiss noticably, especially during quiet scenes. I have worked painstakenly to avoid any hum/hiss in my setup, so this probably bothers more than it might most. But it is noticable even to my half deaf friend. I'm using an HDMI cable connected to my receiver, I've tried 2 different cables and both exhibit the same noise. Has anyone found a solution to this, or has it just become something people live with? I really like some of the movies that are only on BD, so I would like to stick with it, but I can't forsee me keeping this unit. I think the next thing I have my eye on is the Pioneer BD player, but I can't seem to find much info on it, other than it doesn't use a Bluetooth remote! (WTF Sony???).

Anyway, I just wanted to relay my experience in case others have found any sort of solutions to this.

Thanks,

Chip-
post #2 of 48
You have a ground loop...
post #3 of 48
Do you have the ps3 hooked up for sound via its optical port to your ht receiver?
post #4 of 48
Presuming they get hiss on other sources i would agree.

But if the PS3 is giving you hiss and your other devices don't something is wrong, especially if you're using a digital connection as hiss should not be able to be induced into the signal pior to the DAC.

I would try a CD on your curent CD player, check for hiss, then pop the same CD into your PS3 and check for hiss again. If you're getting more via the PS3 and you don't like it, send it back.
post #5 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 View Post

I'm using an HDMI cable connected to my receiver, I've tried 2 different cables and both exhibit the same noise.


not optical...
post #6 of 48
Thread Starter 
Hi, thanks for all the quick replies, I love AVS!

UMD is correct, I'm using HDMI for Audio/Video. I get no hiss from any other HDMI input (HR10-250, Tosh A1, HTPC). I will try playing a CD in the HD-A1 and then in the PS3, I just don't know if I should be thinking about returning it for a refund and wait for the Pioneer to get more traction, or if other people are experiencing no hiss/hum then maybe I just got a bad unit. Should would like paying $600 over $1500 for a BD player

Thanks again,

Chip-
post #7 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

Presuming they get hiss on other sources i would agree.

But if the PS3 is giving you hiss and your other devices don't something is wrong, especially if you're using a digital connection as hiss should not be able to be induced into the signal pior to the DAC.

I would try a CD on your curent CD player, check for hiss, then pop the same CD into your PS3 and check for hiss again. If you're getting more via the PS3 and you don't like it, send it back.


The PS3 uses a three-prong grounded plug. If the other audio gear is not using the same common ground by only using a two-prong plug, then the ground loop is possible. An easy way to check would be to use a cheater plug on the PS3 to see if that solves the hiss.
post #8 of 48
The ps3's hdmi output is version 1.3. Your receiver is probably version 1.2a or less. This might have something to do with it? Just guessing? I would hook the ps3 up thru its optical output just to see if you get the hiss thru optical.
post #9 of 48
most likely not... the electrical specs are the same for all HDMI connects regardless of version.
post #10 of 48
I have read in the ps3 forums that some people are having display problems with certain pdp's because of the 1.3 hdmi output.
post #11 of 48
If you manually set the output format, a warning would have appeared: "If the device in use does not support the frequency selected, the speakers may become damaged." Hopefully, you did not race through and ignore this. I wasn't sure what formats my receiver supported either, so I just set it to auto. If this is not the case, you should probably return/exchange your ps3.
post #12 of 48
Quote:


The PS3 uses a three-prong grounded plug. If the other audio gear is not using the same common ground by only using a two-prong plug, then the ground loop is possible. An easy way to check would be to use a cheater plug on the PS3 to see if that solves the hiss.

How do you get ground loop induced humming via a digital audio connection such as HDMI? As you are the first person i've every heard promote the idea that it's possible.
post #13 of 48
Analog or digital, why should it matter? These are electrical interconnects, all having ground pins. Only optical interconnects effectively prevent ground loop from happening in certain setups.
post #14 of 48
It most definitely sounds like a ground loop. As mentioned, the PS3 uses a three-pronged power connection and HDMI has a ground connection. The most common cause of a ground loop is a cable TV connection. I would start the investigation by unplugging your cable box. I helped a person in the Playstation section of the Forum who had the same problem, and luckily it was his cable TV connection that was the cause.

I should add that I have my PS3 connected to the Pioneer Elite 84 with no such problems.
post #15 of 48
I've had to ground my AV receiver to get rid of a hum on my powered sub-woofer.
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

How do you get ground loop induced humming via a digital audio connection such as HDMI? As you are the first person i've every heard promote the idea that it's possible.


As stated above, it makes no difference whether or not the signal is digital... the HDMI still carries a ground on the connector from which the digital signals are referenced. If the ground is sitting at a level that is different from the ground on your receiver, then you will get a bias on your digital signal causing a hum.
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

If you manually set the output format, a warning would have appeared: "If the device in use does not support the frequency selected, the speakers may become damaged." Hopefully, you did not race through and ignore this. I wasn't sure what formats my receiver supported either, so I just set it to auto. If this is not the case, you should probably return/exchange your ps3.

I concur - This may be the source of your problem as I had similar audio defects coming from my Denon 3806 connected to the PS3 via HDMI when I manually selected all the output options on the HDMI audio output page. Once I changed the setting to Auto, all the distortion and noises (hum, pops, cracks, hissing, beeps) went away! Another way to test this is if you aren't getting audio artefacts through the optical connection but are via HDMI then you probably have an incompatibility with your output frequency settings on the PS3.
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwap View Post

I concur - This may be the source of your problem as I had similar audio defects coming from my Denon 3806 connected to the PS3 via HDMI when I manually selected all the output options on the HDMI audio output page. Once I changed the setting to Auto, all the distortion and noises (hum, pops, cracks, hissing, beeps) went away! Another way to test this is if you aren't getting audio artefacts through the optical connection but are via HDMI then you probably have an incompatibility with your output frequency settings on the PS3.

I had the same experience. First I checked all output options (manually) and noticed the hiss when playing SACD disks. Changed to AUTO and everything is fine now. Interesting that the hiss was coming from one surround channel only, the other channels were OK.

Sergio
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy84 View Post

I just picked up the PS3 this week from BB when they got their latest shipment in(60GB model) and also picked up a few BD discs as well. While I'm not one to really buy a component that doubles as something else, the low price point was really hard to resist for a BD player. I own the Toshiba A1 and have had it since the summer, and while I thoroughly enjoy the picture and sound, having it limited to 1080i and the slooooooooooooow boot really gets to me sometimes. Instead of selling it and trying a newer HD DVD player, I figured I'd give BD a try.

Picture wise in case anyone cares, I can't tell the difference between BD & HDDVD, and my eyes are pretty well trained. Even with one outputing 1080i and one outputting 1080p(I'm projecting it using the Sony Pearl). Neither could I tell if one sounded better than the other, although the A1 was a LOT easier to setup. I have no idea about the different sound options on the PS3, lots of decimal numbers and Hz, but I have no idea what my receiver can handle or what the PS3 should be set to(Pioneer Elite 84TXSi in case some one knows and wants to share which I should have selected?).

Anyway, back on topic, my PS3 makes my speakers hum or hiss noticably, especially during quiet scenes. I have worked painstakenly to avoid any hum/hiss in my setup, so this probably bothers more than it might most. But it is noticable even to my half deaf friend. I'm using an HDMI cable connected to my receiver, I've tried 2 different cables and both exhibit the same noise. Has anyone found a solution to this, or has it just become something people live with? I really like some of the movies that are only on BD, so I would like to stick with it, but I can't forsee me keeping this unit. I think the next thing I have my eye on is the Pioneer BD player, but I can't seem to find much info on it, other than it doesn't use a Bluetooth remote! (WTF Sony???).

Anyway, I just wanted to relay my experience in case others have found any sort of solutions to this.

Thanks,

Chip-

I think PS3 outputs at 720P not 1080i, if I'm not mistaken.
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN View Post

I think PS3 outputs at 720P not 1080i, if I'm not mistaken.

Well, you are mistaken.

(Maybe you should actually learn about the product you spend all day knocking Lagosian)
post #21 of 48
When it was first released couldn't it only output at 720P? If it is doing higher than that please post a link please.
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

Well, you are mistaken.

(Maybe you should actually learn about the product you spend all day knocking Lagosian)

(Maybe you should grow up and act your age Xbox Destroyer, you are the one who goes about trying to knock down the competetion).

I am not a mindless biased follower of either format because I own both, so I am not constrained to bash one, or close my eyes when one is not performing as well.
post #23 of 48
I was having a ground loop problem. I bought a surge protector with a noise reduction (clean power feature). . .I don't know why or how, but it worked. My PS3 runs cleanly with no interference, no noise and produces a beautiful picture. . .might want to try one of those before you buy a blu-ray player for 400 - 500 dollars more.
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN View Post

(Maybe you should grow up and act your age Xbox Destroyer, you are the one who goes about trying to knock down the competetion).

I am not a mindless biased follower of either format because I own both, so I am not constrained to bash one, or close my eyes when one is not performing as well.

Question: when did you buy into Blu-ray? I'm honestly curious.

This XBox Destroya thing is getting real old too. I haven't bashed the XBox once on this forum, not even once.

As for the PS3 thing, then if you honestly did not know that it outputs video streams in *only* 1080i, 1080p, or 480p, you are simply uneducated on the matter, and shouldn't be lending advice on it.
post #25 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN View Post

When it was first released couldn't it only output at 720P? If it is doing higher than that please post a link please.

Here's a link: xbd tells Lagosian the resolutions PS3 outputs a BD video stream at
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

Question: when did you buy into Blu-ray? I'm honestly curious.

This XBox Destroya thing is getting real old too. I haven't bashed the XBox once on this forum, not even once.

As for the PS3 thing, then if you honestly did not know that it outputs video streams in *only* 1080i, 1080p, or 480p, you are simply uneducated on the matter, and shouldn't be lending advice on it.

I bought my Sammy 3 days before they were officially of released, from BB. I paid $899 for mine because I got a discount.

I bought my HD DVD player on April 28, I believe on the release date.

And you are right I know nothing about the PS3 because I have absolutely ZERO interest in it, that is why my statement was worded in question form.

I know you are not a dual format owner because you love your Blu-ray a little too much. There are a lot of people here who claim to own both players, but a lot of them are LAIRS. People who support BOTH formats have the same belief; WE BELIEVE THAT THIS WAR WOULD DRAG ON FOR YEARS, AND WE WOULD NOT WAIT THAT LONG TO START ENJOYING CONTENT FROM BOTH FORMATS! None of us are fanboys, we wouldn't care less who wins.

People who have only one player (some lie about having both) have the same belief; THEY ARE THOSE WHO HAVE CAST ALL OF THEIR EGGS IN ONE BASKET BY SUPPORTING ONE SIDE OVER THE OTHER, AND NOW HAVE TO HOPE THAT THEY MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE! Most FANBOYS COME FROM THIS GROUP!
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGOSIAN View Post

And you are right I know nothing about the PS3 because I have absolutely ZERO interest in it, that is why my statement was worded in question form.

Everything else you typed, I don't care about. This is the only thing.

So here it is - if you have no interest in the PS3, if you have no knowledge of the PS3, and you couldn't care less about the PS3... do those who do own it, who are interested, and who do care a favor, and leave technical questions regarding the unit to people who actually know something, rather than spreading misinformation.

PS - It is indeed ironic that you highlight my own preference for BD, and seemingly allege(?) that I and others are single format owners; I think that's obvious. The irony though comes from the fact that I have no desire to troll the HD DVD forums - and don't - and yet you, the dual format owner, are here nearly every day trolling the BD forums.
post #28 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10th St. View Post

I was having a ground loop problem. I bought a surge protector with a noise reduction (clean power feature). . .I don't know why or how, but it worked. My PS3 runs cleanly with no interference, no noise and produces a beautiful picture. . .might want to try one of those before you buy a blu-ray player for 400 - 500 dollars more.

Ya, I use the Monster Power HTS-2500, everything runs through it. The PS3 was the only component to give me the hiss...well, until I exchanged it for a Panny BD10, and now that hisses to , maybe it's the spot in my rack. I'll try the optical and a different location tomorrow and see if that helps. Although my main priority right now is being able to ungrey out the greyed out 1080p selection.

Thanks for all your help,

Chip-
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbdestroya View Post

Everything else you typed, I don't care about. This is the only thing.

So here it is - if you have no interest in the PS3, if you have no knowledge of the PS3, and you couldn't care less about the PS3... do those who do own it, who are interested, and who do care a favor, and leave technical questions regarding the unit to people who actually know something, rather than spreading misinformation.

PS - It is indeed ironic that you highlight my own preference for BD, and seemingly allege(?) that I and others are single format owners; I think that's obvious. The irony though comes from the fact that I have no desire to troll the HD DVD forums - and don't - and yet you, the dual format owner, are here nearly every day trolling the BD forums.

Spoken like the true format fanboy that you are. Nothing to be ashamed of, it's your money. Stay true to yourself; keep it real.
post #30 of 48
Lagosian, seriously, you need to get some life. You claim to be format neutral, but about every single post you make is critical of everything Blu-Ray. I find your statements of format neutrality highly hipocritical. Your have zero credibility.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › I think my PS3 is going back to BB...humming noise has me worried long term.