or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › PS3 Shortage OVER!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PS3 Shortage OVER! - Page 3

post #61 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

PS3's are now out of stock at Best Buy. Also Amazon.

There still available around in my area...here and there.
post #62 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

already on the way. Man, if I were an early adopter I'd be a bit peeved...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/t...dename-zephyr/


Just like they should be peeved about the newest graphic card, car, computer, bike, laster version of Ipod and etc etc. Some will simply get the new 360 and some will sale they other one if this is true or trade in. Not a big deal seriously.
post #63 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

already on the way. Man, if I were an early adopter I'd be a bit peeved...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/t...dename-zephyr/


If that is true, that is pretty sweet. I would hate that my console is out of date within a year though.
post #64 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

There still available around in my area...here and there.

Already have one but could have picked one up at BB the day after Christmas and last night at Target had both 60gb and 20gb waiting to be purchased and this was at 3:00 in the afternoon.
post #65 of 231
PS3 is a piece of cake to get here around Hartford CT. I have 7 stores within 5 miles that have mulitple 60gigers instock. The 20gig version is harder to find.

Chris
post #66 of 231
^Kmart.com had the 20giger last night. I decided to downgrade from the 60 to the 20 since I will use it 90% for BD, don't need Wi-Fi, the memory slots or the extra storage.
post #67 of 231
Circuit City was selling the 20g PS3 here last week for $50 off list to move them
post #68 of 231
the 20gb is plenty for me
post #69 of 231
I am not a gamer... but my son desperately wants an X-Box, PS3 or Wii. I was speaking with a couple of hard core gaming nuts at a video game shop in Lansing MI. None of them had anything good to say about the PS3. When I asked why, all five said in unison that the PS3 runs hot and overheats. I have heard about this issue before on this site. He had the PS3 and X-Box but no Wii. They recommended the Wii or X-Box.

Craig
post #70 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondBlue View Post

Circuit City was selling the 20g PS3 here last week for $50 off list to move them

sure. you do realize consoles at launch are sold at cost, right?
post #71 of 231
Plenty here sitting on the shlef in Newmarket Ontario, at both BB & FS. But alas No wii's!
post #72 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

already on the way. Man, if I were an early adopter I'd be a bit peeved...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/t...dename-zephyr/


Look at the wikipedia article for the PS2. It went through quite a number of revisions, I did not hear anyone complaining or talking stuff & nonsense about class action suits (Not in reference to the quoted post) back then when they changed that platform.

I find it funny, improvemenst to the 360 are a Legal Call to arms around here. But talk about a fix for the PS3 to upconvert or even play a regular DVD back in a decent fasion, and everyone leaves the room.
post #73 of 231
Anyone know what the restock rate of the Wii is? All the statements about the PS3s gathering dust on store shelves while the Wii is nowhere to be seen lose a lot of their impact if there's a disparity between the number of units being restocked and the frequency of the shipments.
post #74 of 231
Ran a bunch of errands today (Beaverton, Oregon) and the PS3 was available in quantities of no less than 9 at Best Buy, Target, and Circuit city. The shortage is definitely over here. I would have bought one for BD playback but now I have to wait and see what the LG player is like.

No Wii's at any of the stores, and signs on the door saying they don't have any at BB and CC.
post #75 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post

No Wii's at any of the stores, and signs on the door saying they don't have any at BB and CC.

I seen that sign at BB also...sure would like to get my hands on one of those Wii's...they look like fun.
post #76 of 231
too bad I won't be able to b uy one until the end of the month, hope I can still find one available at BB. I got a remote control for the blu ray player from gamestop, can't wait to get my hands on the 60 gig model
post #77 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli View Post

Ran a bunch of errands today (Beaverton, Oregon) and the PS3 was available in quantities of no less than 9 at Best Buy, Target, and Circuit city. The shortage is definitely over here. I would have bought one for BD playback but now I have to wait and see what the LG player is like.

No Wii's at any of the stores, and signs on the door saying they don't have any at BB and CC.

what LG player? the dual hd-dvd/blu ray thingy?
post #78 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondBlue View Post

Circuit City was selling the 20g PS3 here last week for $50 off list to move them

Where?!?!?!?!?
post #79 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckshop View Post

sure. you do realize consoles at launch are sold at cost, right?

Sony sold them @ or below cost to the retailers. I'm sure the retailers did not sell them @ cost to the public. What would be the point?
post #80 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

I find it funny, improvemenst to the 360 are a Legal Call to arms around here. But talk about a fix for the PS3 to upconvert or even play a regular DVD back in a decent fasion, and everyone leaves the room.

Simple really. MS poo-poohed the need for HDMI back before PS3 was in the market. They also poo-poohed the BD drive. If the rumored Zephyr is true, then it makes sense to call the 360 for what it is - not forward thinking enough. Now if the Zephyr also added a HD-DVD or a BD drive, then MS would really be eating crow.

As for rumors about a "family-friendly-hence-cheaper" PS3 not having a BD drive, I have to wonder which idiot came up with that. Especially since the PS3 games sold right now are in BD-ROM.


fuad
post #81 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post

Sony sold them @ or below cost to the retailers. I'm sure the retailers did not sell them @ cost to the public. What would be the point?

To sell plenty of games above cost. This is the way it's done.
post #82 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post

You can now get a PS3 (20GB or 60GB) at amazon.com. Tax free and free shipping isn't a bad deal.

I got one the other day at a Wal-Mart and the stock hasn't moved.

I think it's safe to say that if you want one, you can get one now.

I think the bad news for Sony is that most willing to pay for one may already have.

Sony cannot afford to have people buying the PS3 for movie veiwing only. They need people to buy games. Every PS3 bought as a movie player only is a subsidized player that Sony isn't going to make money on (unless of course you buy a ton of Sony BD movies). The BD exclusive studios OTOH probably want as many PS3 sold for movies only as possible since Sony will be bearing the cost and risk for promoting their BD movie disks. The fewer games sold with the PS3, the more disposable income available for movie purchases.

Both versions of the PS3 are great values for what they offer. However, is the remote out yet?
post #83 of 231
Quote:


However, is the remote out yet?

Yep the Remote has been out for two weeks. I got one when i bought the ps3 last saturday.
post #84 of 231
Fellow Milwaukeeans...
GameStop on 70th and Greenfield has the Wii, PS3 both HDD sizes, and both XBOX HDD sizes in stock. Played Zelda on the Wii for a little while. They had at least 4 or 5 of each system.

Just a heads up that I have seen all systems at one store or another.
post #85 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

I am not a gamer... but my son desperately wants an X-Box, PS3 or Wii. I was speaking with a couple of hard core gaming nuts at a video game shop in Lansing MI. None of them had anything good to say about the PS3. When I asked why, all five said in unison that the PS3 runs hot and overheats. I have heard about this issue before on this site. He had the PS3 and X-Box but no Wii. They recommended the Wii or X-Box.

Craig

People are just making things up to bash the PS3 at this point. Wonder how much longer this BS will last.
post #86 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

Look at the wikipedia article for the PS2. It went through quite a number of revisions, I did not hear anyone complaining or talking stuff & nonsense about class action suits (Not in reference to the quoted post) back then when they changed that platform.

I find it funny, improvements (fixed your spelling) to the 360 are a Legal Call to arms around here. But talk about a fix for the PS3 to upconvert or even play a regular DVD back in a decent fashion (fixed your spelling for you again) , and everyone leaves the room.

cluephone, a fix is just that, a fix. Doesn't require purchasing a whole new unit like getting a 360 with HDMI requires... duh
and FYI, the PS3's 480P playback of SDdvds is just fine. If you have a good scaler in your display, (if you have a good display of course that is..) there's virtually no difference in PQ running 480P and say, letting your display upconvert to it's native res. Same exact thing an upconverting player does. Just does it in a different place along the way. I have an oppo dvd player that is very highly rated for upconversion and at 720P compared to 480P being upconverted by my PJ they are VERY close... I have a 2x1 HDMI switcher and switched back on forth on the same material (2 copies of a DVD...) in many places.

but what do I know. I actually own these things I'm talking about. Do you own a PS3? Do you know how the 480P looks through HDMI? And the 360 can't upconvert SDdvds over component anyways, only through VGA. Many people don't even have VGA inputs on their display. So for many, if you want either HDMI or upconverting of Sd you will need to buy the new 360. Like I said, if I had bought a 360 say last month instead of the PS3. (I went with the PS3 because the HDdvd releases have dried up) I would be a bit peeved. That's what I said about ME. I am allowed to think anyway I like. I didn't say, "Man, I bet all those early adopters are peeved." I said "I would be.." Got it...? Comprendo...?
If you aren't whoopiedoo.
If they released an upgraded Ps3 next year I might be peeved too. These next gen devices were suppossed to be "next gen" meaning they should not be replaced within a damn year.
post #87 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

I find it funny, improvemenst to the 360 are a Legal Call to arms around here. But talk about a fix for the PS3 to upconvert or even play a regular DVD back in a decent fasion, and everyone leaves the room.

I find it funny that you can compare downloadable firmware updates that are absolutely free to the release of a whole new console with HDMI, 5X larger hard drive, and probably an extra $400-$500.
post #88 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoniner View Post

I find it funny that you can compare downloadable firmware updates that are absolutely free to the release of a whole new console with HDMI, 5X larger hard drive, and probably an extra $400-$500.

Are we arguing over something thats not annouced only leaked and has a good chance of not even existing.
post #89 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by nharmon91 View Post

Are we arguing over something thats not annouced only leaked and has a good chance of not even existing.

Don't know what you are arguing over, but I was just saying that no matter if they exist or not, the concept of a free downloadable firmware update is not the same thing as the release of a whole new console with HDMI and 120GB.
post #90 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by garibay_2004 View Post

what LG player? the dual hd-dvd/blu ray thingy?


Yes, I want to see what the LG Super Multi Blue Player BH100 is all about before I drop $600 on a PS3. I am not a huge gamer (I play games on my PC only), my regular Xbox is connected but has not been turned on in over a year.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › PS3 Shortage OVER!