or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY] - Page 487

post #14581 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Emotiva fixed the UMC-1's broken signal routing? That's news to me. Still waiting for hard facts.
easue
they probably fixed a lot of things from what can tell from my limited knowledge based on what I have read, what I purchased in 3/11 and latest frimware 11/11. The LFE + low pass from the sats is definetely different b/c the sub adj are now realizable what emoq calls sub eq'uing vs sat oalone. in other words it eq's after summation. Measurements you're talking about would be great if you ran them after all you are one of the first finders of the emoq shortcomings in bass managment.smile.gif
post #14582 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

easue
they probably fixed a lot of things from what can tell from my limited knowledge based on what I have read, what I purchased in 3/11 and latest frimware 11/11. The LFE + low pass from the sats is definetely different b/c the sub adj are now realizable what emoq calls sub eq'uing vs sat oalone. in other words it eq's after summation. Measurements you're talking about would be great if you ran them after all you are one of the first finders of the emoq shortcomings in bass managment.smile.gif

The one thing I've learned from buying a UMC-1 is NOT to trust what others (especially Emotiva) are saying (see this post for Emotiva's track record). Just because you hear a difference doesn't mean Emotiva got it right this time.

Does EmoQ now at least get reference level right? Did anybody check with a RTA?

I would do the outlined tests myself but after wasting an enormous amount of time I gave up on Emotiva and sent my UMC-1 back.
post #14583 of 17192
I totally understand not wanting to get back involved in testing a unit you ended up returning. and to answer your question no I have not tested or checked with RTA and refernce level still does not seem to be part of the level set up with EmoQ, it seems to base everything in a relative fashion off the first speaker which is front L. I say this b/c the volume dial reading has no reference to "reference". It has been one thing I never understood about the EmoQ. When I changed from def tech (92db/m/w) to JTR (101db/m/w) the levels are still just releative and set based on Front L.confused.gif Starts with Front L at 0db and everything else is plus or minus to equal spl at LP but no absolute understanding of reference spl.
post #14584 of 17192
What a terrible product.
post #14585 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

What a terrible product.

I know!

If I am trying to find a good pre pro and find all of the features and RC I want are there other key specs I should be looking at to make sure it maches up well with my amp (Sunfire TGA4700)? Speakers too, or not much concern there. The type I use are high sensitivity (2012 JTR's)
post #14586 of 17192
The room/speaker system is key to good sound, electronics not so much anymore (the UMC-1 is an inglorious exception). You won't find most of the relevant parameters in most manufacturers spec sheets. A customer that believes is much better than a customer that knows.
post #14587 of 17192
I am glad I didn't wait for the UMC-1. Got an XPA-5 amp almost two years ago and was hoping to pair it nicely with the UMC-1. But with the way things have gone with that product, I'm glad I steered clear. Amps are one thing, but the complex circuitry in today's processors I guess were too much for Emotiva to get a grasp on. Ended up with a decent mid-level receiver w/ pre-outs (Pio Elite) to function as my pre/pro. Got it for a good price, and it works great with the XPA-5. If you can find a good receiver that has the features you need, it's a good way to go.
post #14588 of 17192
I'm just wondering if anybody will ever run the tests I had proposed at http://www.avsforum.com/t/781208/emotiva-thread-q-a-technical-talk-only/14550#post_22090917
post #14589 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

I'm just wondering if anybody will ever run the tests I had proposed at http://www.avsforum.com/t/781208/emotiva-thread-q-a-technical-talk-only/14550#post_22090917

Maybe you could borrow a UMC-1 (with the latest FW) or buy another one and do the tests yourself. Then you would know without a doubt if the BM issues with the UMC-1 were corrected. Kind of an indepth test to ask people to do where if you do it yourself you'll be 100% sure either way smile.gif.

Bill
post #14590 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Maybe you could borrow a UMC-1 (with the latest FW) or buy another one and do the tests yourself. Then you would know without a doubt if the BM issues with the UMC-1 were corrected. Kind of an indepth test to ask people to do where if you do it yourself you'll be 100% sure either way smile.gif.
Bill

Yeah, send me your UMC-1 to Switzerland smile.gif
post #14591 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

I'm just wondering if anybody will ever run the tests I had proposed at http://www.avsforum.com/t/781208/emotiva-thread-q-a-technical-talk-only/14550#post_22090917

I still plan to, but have no time for it ATM. frown.gif
post #14592 of 17192
By the way, is the XMC-1 delayed? Didn't "Big Dan" say "we will be shipping the XMC-1 in between June and July"?
post #14593 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

By the way, is the XMC-1 delayed? Didn't "Big Dan" say "we will be shipping the XMC-1 in between June and July"?

sounded like it to me in the last podcast they are now talking about having demo units at emofest in September. originally supposed to be available in July now they won't say when it will be in full production. Still trying to get everything right I guess.
post #14594 of 17192
Maybe he meant 2013? Oh boy, do they ever keep their word?
post #14595 of 17192
It sounds like the same old story from them, making promises they can't deliver. For the current round of promises regarding the XSP-1 earlier on in the year they were talking early summer and now they are talking September. We'll see if either one comes out before Christmas. Meanwhile this new amp called the UPA-500 drops out of the sky unannounced about 6 weeks ago. Maybe they should stick with amps.
post #14596 of 17192
their speculation somewhere between now and emofest, though it is anyone's whether or not they will deliver on emofest or not for the xma-1..



time will tell to see what happens..

My guess if not at emofest somewhere between october - december this year, with later release possible for 1st through 3rd quarter 2013-2014 at the rate they are going..

I think it's great to emo release other gear though to be honest I think it's time to can the side projects for a while and move onto getting the xmc on shore and shipped customers...
Edited by mystic_sniper28 - 7/2/12 at 9:23am
post #14597 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

By the way, is the XMC-1 delayed? Didn't "Big Dan" say "we will be shipping the XMC-1 in between June and July"?

Yea goober likes to hear himself talk, his podcasts are insipid... I wonder who will drop their pre/pro first outlaw or emo ?

I am still waiting to see the 2-channel pre he was talking about releasing two years ago... I suppose that will be coming out sometime soon as well.
Edited by unbridled_id - 7/13/12 at 2:12pm
post #14598 of 17192
hi all. Sent back my xpa 5 today; between my Onkyo txnr 5008 taking a dump. And trying to fine tune the rig; MORE than 3 rca's broke......WTF ! called them an NO PROBLEM. so they say a week turn around; but will see.
post #14599 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post

hi all. Sent back my xpa 5 today; between my Onkyo txnr 5008 taking a dump. And trying to fine tune the rig; MORE than 3 rca's broke......WTF ! called them an NO PROBLEM. so they say a week turn around; but will see.

What happened during fine tuning that caused the RCA jacks to break?
post #14600 of 17192
well i guess the the connection is so fragile; is that after initial install made them even more fragile. An when i was getting the cables some kind of order; well better than it was. They broke. An like WTF ! sorry to say, IT IS A KNOWN ISSUE; with these AMPs. At least for those that was manufactured in a particular time frame. I would prefer a BRAND NEW ONE. BUT if they can actually connect to a frame or sub frame instead of circuit board. I hope that they have a solution that not solves the issue but surpasses expectation, an this will be it. That it is not fun to move such a heavy piece of equipment.
post #14601 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post

well i guess the the connection is so fragile; is that after initial install made them even more fragile. An when i was getting the cables some kind of order; well better than it was. They broke. An like WTF ! sorry to say, IT IS A KNOWN ISSUE; with these AMPs. At least for those that was manufactured in a particular time frame. I would prefer a BRAND NEW ONE. BUT if they can actually connect to a frame or sub frame instead of circuit board. I hope that they have a solution that not solves the issue but surpasses expectation, an this will be it. That it is not fun to move such a heavy piece of equipment.

Strange. I own 4 Emotiva amps (XPA-1s and UPA-7)... I've never noticed it to be weak or problematic.

I would think that it would take some effort to break the jacks... even if they are just on boards.
post #14602 of 17192
WELL i got the one in the million that the RCA's, BROKE nearly off .....so i am not bashing them an the that you have no issues is WONDERFUL....the effort ......in statement.is condescending. Removing and putting on cables.
post #14603 of 17192
Specific Emotiva amps have a history of issues with the RCA jacks getting pulled out of place when tight fitting cables are used. I know several people that have had this issue and have read of many more as well. Emotiva amps are an excellent value but this is one area where build qulaity is not the best.

Bill
post #14604 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Specific Emotiva amps have a history of issues with the RCA jacks getting pulled out of place when tight fitting cables are used. I know several people that have had this issue and have read of many more as well. Emotiva amps are an excellent value but this is one area where build qulaity is not the best.
Bill

I figured as much. Thanks.
post #14605 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridled_id View Post

I wonder who will drop their pre/pro first outlaw or emo ?
.

That question was answered by Outlaw this morning. They cancelled the 978 pre/proc project.
Edited by strindl - 7/18/12 at 1:47pm
post #14606 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeav View Post


Strange. I own 4 Emotiva amps (XPA-1s and UPA-7)... I've never noticed it to be weak or problematic.
I would think that it would take some effort to break the jacks... even if they are just on boards.


As Bill pointed out, this has been reported many times wrt to some Emotiva amps. I have experienced difficulties myself in removing RCA cables from the Emo jacks, but fortunately have never actually broken a jack. I think, knowing this, it is a good idea for Emo owners to try to make sure that the RCA plugs are not overly tight before plugging them into the amps, and if so, to try to 'expand' the plug a little first with needle nose pliers. If this hasn't been done, then gently gripping the plug with pliers and rotating it a little can facilitate its removal without damaging the amp. I have also noted that some cables grip tighter than others and perhaps these are best avoided with Emo amps.

post #14607 of 17192
I wasn't trying to stir up a big debate, I just thought it was surprising that it would be "easy" to break off multiple jacks at all once - just by moving cables around.

I think that it's questionable to use extremely tight fitting RCA plugs on anything...... There is just no point. There are no benefits - only unnecessary wear and tear on the jacks (even durable ones). If you want lockable durable connections, that's what XLR is for.

Sorry "ILOVEMYHDTV", I can't understand "...the effort ......in statement.is condescending. Removing and putting on cables." Did you perhaps plug your RCA cables into a wall outlet accidentally? tongue.gif
post #14608 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeav View Post

I think that it's questionable to use extremely tight fitting RCA plugs on anything...... There is just no point.

Questionable? I guess you have never used Signal Cable RCA interconnects. I have a number of their cables and they provide a very snug fit that one has to be careful when removing them. I would rather have a snug fit than a loose fit as some RCA cables seem to have.

Bill
post #14609 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Questionable? I guess you have never used Signal Cable RCA interconnects. I have a number of their cables and they provide a very snug fit that one has to be careful when removing them. I would rather have a snug fit than a loose fit as some RCA cables seem to have.
Bill

Yes.........never used them before, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I think there is a difference between snug (secure) - and the plugs that require 2 hands to yank off - like some Monster or other so called premium cables.

Since most people know Monoprice - I'll say that their RCA plugs tend to be loose (you get what you pay for). But I've used other RCA plugs that fit so tightly you almost can't plug it in without twisting it on. If you're in the camp that likes plugs like that... then your jacks are going to face abuse.

This is a circular discussion.... as it just requires some level of common sense and judgement.

If it's such a well known problem - strange that there is little/no mention on the Emotiva forums.
post #14610 of 17192
My XPA-2 rca came off. I never did bother to fix it and just went with a balanced cable instead. My xpa-5's were both fine and were connected and disconnected MANY times.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY]