or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY] - Page 552

post #16531 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

10 what above Reference?  I assume you don't mean 10dB!  That's about 10 times the power. So if your 200 watt Emo amp can play to Reference level, to get 10dB more you’d need a 2000 watt amp. I am sure you can see that this would be entirely unnecessary. Even if your speakers could handle 2000 watts, which they can't (unless you borrowed them from Led Zeppelin). 

If you play movies to Reference, you need 85dB average (easy) and 105dB peak (115dB LFE) (not so easy). Once your amp can play 105dB cleanly, you are there. And this is assuming you play movies at Reference - almost nobody does, so you already have a good degree of headroom built in anyway. 

I wish it was +10db! No , I meant the AVR volume knob (-80 to +10, 0 being reference).
post #16532 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

10 what above Reference?  I assume you don't mean 10dB!  That's about 10 times the power. So if your 200 watt Emo amp can play to Reference level, to get 10dB more you’d need a 2000 watt amp. I am sure you can see that this would be entirely unnecessary. Even if your speakers could handle 2000 watts, which they can't (unless you borrowed them from Led Zeppelin). 

If you play movies to Reference, you need 85dB average (easy) and 105dB peak (115dB LFE) (not so easy). Once your amp can play 105dB cleanly, you are there. And this is assuming you play movies at Reference - almost nobody does, so you already have a good degree of headroom built in anyway. 

I wish it was +10db! No , I meant the AVR volume knob (-80 to +10, 0 being reference).
If you're using the Relative volume scale, and that's exactly what the -ve to Reference '0' scale is, then YES, +10 means 10db above Reference, requiring 10X the power.


Max
post #16533 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

If you're using the Relative volume scale, and that's exactly what the -ve to Reference '0' scale is, then YES, +10 means 10db above Reference, requiring 10X the power.


Max

I have never heard this term "relative volume scale". Please explain. Thank you.
post #16534 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I am impressed by your response. It's rare when discussing external amps to see someone acknowledge scientific fact in this way. If you are not clipping when using your current amplification at the SPLs you require, then you have the amps you need already and won’t hear any benefit from external amplification. Most people rarely need more than a few watts of amp power if they are using speakers of average sensitivity (say 89dB/w/m) and sit at a typical listening distance from them (say 12 feet) and require typical listening levels (say 85-90dB, which is actually pretty loud). Most modern AVRs are sufficiently powerful to deliver these requirements. 

With the money you have saved on the amp, you could spend it where you really will hear a difference - a better, or additional, subwoofer, better speakers or, most important of all, room treatments if you are able to accommodate them. The latter will make huge differences to the sound quality and can cost surprisingly little. They are also easy to DIY and if you go that way you can fit out an entire room for the price of an external amp!

One other thing you can do to improve SQ actually costs nothing, other than a little time, and maybe some research: and that is to position your speakers and sub(s) in their optimal positions wrt to room modes and reflections.

Thanks for this response, i have recently upgraded everything; subwoofer (PSA XS 30), receiver (Onkyo 818), Speakers ( Goldenear Triton II,s SS50 soon to be SCXL), Bluray Player (Sony S790). My theater is completely insulated room. I have zero echo and very smooth response.

I do like your ideas though.
post #16535 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Mud,

Defensive? You're the one on the defensive by posting "If Emotiva products were priced at the Oppo level they might offer more" wink.gif. You totally missed my point and didn't answer my question. The question was how much do you think it would cost Emotiva to include well written and informative manuals with their products. Not much in my opinion but Emotiva refuses to put out better manuals. Emotiva has even admitted that their manuals are lacking and say "we're working on it". My point of including Oppo is that their players are priced affordably as Emotiva gear is. But Oppo has outstanding manuals and detailed information about each and every FW update they do. So what's stopping Emotiva from doing this?

Bill
I never missed your point. I simply implied that one should expect more if they pay more. You took that as a slam against a product you own.
You need to understand that Emo has been very successful without your input. Perhaps you can go over to the Onkyo threads and assist people who have a REAL problem.
Neither you nor I know the cost for anything that Emo does. Therefore, I did not speculate. I also agreed with your thinking about the manual and update. I notice you failed to respond about other manufacturer's manuals being lengthy and not exactly informative.
You are still comical Bill. When anyone responds to your posts you think they are defensive unless they jab as you do. I am comforted to know that you still wish Emo to succeed.
post #16536 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

If you're using the Relative volume scale, and that's exactly what the -ve to Reference '0' scale is, then YES, +10 means 10db above Reference, requiring 10X the power.


Max

I have never heard this term "relative volume scale". Please explain. Thank you.
Most avrs and pre-pros allow you to select one of two ways to display the volume, Absolute or Relative.

The Absolute setting has numbers that are always positive.

The Relative setting has numbers that go from say, -30 and as you turn the volume UP or louder, the -ve numbers decrease (-20, -15, all the way to 0). For this setting, Relative means 'Relative to THX Reference'.

This means that when your setup is properly calibrated to produce THX Reference levels (105db peaks from each speaker measured at your MLP, 115db for the LFE channel), you get THX Reference levels when the Main Volume is at '0'. If you turn it down to -10, you are -10db 'Relative to THX Reference' or 10db below THX Reference (perceptually half as loud). That's what the -ve numbers mean. Likewise, +10 means +10db 'Relative to THX Reference' or 10db louder than THX Reference (which requires 10X as much power).


Max
post #16537 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Most avrs and pre-pros allow you to select one of two ways to display the volume, Absolute or Relative.

The Absolute setting has numbers that are always positive.

The Relative setting has numbers that go from say, -30 and as you turn the volume UP or louder, the -ve numbers decrease (-20, -15, all the way to 0). For this setting, Relative means 'Relative to THX Reference'.

This means that when your setup is properly calibrated to produce THX Reference levels (105db peaks from each speaker measured at your MLP, 115db for the LFE channel), you get THX Reference levels when the Main Volume is at '0'. If you turn it down to -10, you are -10db 'Relative to THX Reference' or 10db below THX Reference (perceptually half as loud). That's what the -ve numbers mean. Likewise, +10 means +10db 'Relative to THX Reference' or 10db louder than THX Reference (which requires 10X as much power).


Max

Very clear, thank you.

How do you measure the LFE ? With an external sound pressure meter or by measuring the current?
post #16538 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post


Very clear, thank you.

How do you measure the LFE ? With an external sound pressure meter or by measuring the current?
It depends on what you mean by 'measure'. If you mean calibrate, then you have several different methods. If you use Audyssey or any kind of Room EQ/correction, the Audyssey (or Anthem ARC, Pioneer MCACC etc.) calibration automatically calibrates Reference levels for you.

If you're looking to calibrate Reference levels on your own without an automated EQ, there are 2 ways to do it: use the avr's test tones and set the trims in the avr so you measure 75db at your MLP with an SPL meter. Or, play a disc with known level test tones and set the avr trims to reach those levels at the MLP (i.e. if the disc's test tones are recorded at -30db, you adjust the trims to reach 75db on your SPL meter at the MLP, if the test tones are recorded at -20db, then you would need to adjust the trims to reach 85db at the MLP).

As far as measuring the peaks in movies at the MLP, well, you would just use an SPL meter at your MLP. Keep in mind though, that although THX Reference levels specify maximum peaks of 105db from each speaker and 115db from the LFE channel measured at the MLP, depending on the movie, it's possible to hit SPLs much higher due to summation (i.e. the sum of SPLs from all speakers playing at the same time). In addition, although THX Reference levels specify a maximum peak of 115db for the LFE channel, this is ONLY for material encoded in the LFE .1 channel. Using bass management (setting speaker crossovers that redirect bass encoded in the speaker channels to your subwoofers) can result in summed bass levels higher than 115db. The theoretical maximum at the MLP could be as high as 128db IF (and ONLY if) some audio mixer encoded maximum peak levels in all channels simultaneously. There are some movies that measure in the 122-124db range at the MLP in certain scenes from the summation of the audio in all channels.


Max
post #16539 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

I never missed your point. I simply implied that one should expect more if they pay more. You took that as a slam against a product you own.
You need to understand that Emo has been very successful without your input. Perhaps you can go over to the Onkyo threads and assist people who have a REAL problem.
Neither you nor I know the cost for anything that Emo does. Therefore, I did not speculate. I also agreed with your thinking about the manual and update. I notice you failed to respond about other manufacturer's manuals being lengthy and not exactly informative.
You are still comical Bill. When anyone responds to your posts you think they are defensive unless they jab as you do. I am comforted to know that you still wish Emo to succeed.

Tell me why anytime someone has the anything remotely negative to say about Emotiva you rush to their defense? Why the need to throw Onkyo out there? I don't understand your mindset. Why would I respond to other manufacturers manuals? Every single component I own has better manuals than anything Emotiva has ever put out. That's a fact that even Emotiva aknowledges. You acknowledge that Emotiva's manuals are lacking but you post "If Emotiva products were priced at the Oppo level they might offer more". That statement makes no sense and I'm not the only one that thinks that. When companies like Emotiva stop listening to their customers input they suffer as a company as well as their customers suffer.

No offense but many here read your posts and see quite clearly who is the "comical" one wink.gif.

Bill
post #16540 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Tell me why anytime someone has the anything remotely negative to say about Emotiva you rush to their defense? Why the need to throw Onkyo out there? I don't understand your mindset. Why would I respond to other manufacturers manuals? Every single component I own has better manuals than anything Emotiva has ever put out. That's a fact that even Emotiva aknowledges. You acknowledge that Emotiva's manuals are lacking but you post "If Emotiva products were priced at the Oppo level they might offer more". That statement makes no sense and I'm not the only one that thinks that. When companies like Emotiva stop listening to their customers input they suffer as a company as well as their customers suffer.

No offense but many here read your posts and see quite clearly who is the "comical" one wink.gif.

Bill

Tell me why Emo is the only brand that you consistently throw jabs at. Why did you throw Oppo out there? I mentioned Onkyo because they have more serious problems than Emo, however you remain silent on those threads. I would rather have a poorly written manual than a unit that is only good for a boat anchor after the warranty expires. I am glad that you are more satisfied with a manual than SQ.
I think you are at the end of a limb and grasping to hang on. Why doesn't it make sense to acknowledge a problem accompanied by a solution.
Since you do not own or do not plan to own Emotiva products why shoud they listen to you? Do you think you are a customer?
Give me some numbers Bill. How many others think that the statement made no sense. Maybe one other. Not impressive.
I prefer to read the pm's that I receive from others laughing at your comments.
post #16541 of 17192
As I continue to look at what amp I want to add to my system it is this exact crap that comes up on this thread that has me leaning Outlaw. Emo and Oppo compare very well in the pricing of their value products. I don't understand why one company doesn't feel the need to provide good customer service. I saw Bills post as a level that Emo should shoot for with Oppo as the example. Spend one to two k on enough products that ****** manuals and mystery firmware updates are acceptable - seriously???rolleyes.gif outlaw or a second sub but not Emo for now.
post #16542 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Quote:
Tell me why Emo is the only brand that you consistently throw jabs at.

Because the jabs are justified. Even you admitted that their manuals are lacking. So I mention that and you get upset. So does one have to own Emotiva gear to be able to throw them a jab?
Quote:
Why did you throw Oppo out there?

Because Oppo is a company that sells A/V gear at affordable prices but makes the added effort to produce well written manuals unlike Emotiva. You never did mention which universal players with the features of the Oppo's cost less.
Quote:
I mentioned Onkyo because they have more serious problems than Emo, however you remain silent on those threads.

What data do you base that assumption on? So Onkyo has more problems per units sold than Emotiva does. If you want to play that game step up to the plate with actual data. Not just some obvious biased statements.
Quote:
I would rather have a poorly written manual than a unit that is only good for a boat anchor after the warranty expires.

Again show some data that shows Onkyo has more failures than Emotiva based per units sold.
Quote:
I am glad that you are more satisfied with a manual than SQ.

I'm quite happy with my sound of my system. With that I also have excellent manuals if I have any questions on how the gear I own operates wink.gif.
Quote:
I think you are at the end of a limb and grasping to hang on. Why doesn't it make sense to acknowledge a problem accompanied by a solution.

I think it is you that is grasping at straws. I did acknowledge a problem (poorly written manuals) and offered a solution. The solution was for Emotiva to look at the way Oppo does it. Pretty simple but Emotiva refuses to offer well written manuals after many years of their customers asking for them.
Quote:
Since you do not own or do not plan to own Emotiva products why shoud they listen to you?

Really? So I'm holding on to a 40% processor upgrade card just for the presitige of having one wink.gif. I've owned a UMC-1, USP-1, LPA-1, ERC-1 and a Sherbourn PA 7-150. I'd still own them if I was happy with their performance. But I don't as I found gear that functions better and sounds just as good if not better.
Quote:
Do you think you are a customer?

Yes I do. Isn't someone that buys a companies product a customer?

Bill
post #16543 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Quote:
Tell me why Emo is the only brand that you consistently throw jabs at.

Because the jabs are justified. Even you admitted that their manuals are lacking. So I mention that and you get upset. So does one have to own Emotiva gear to be able to throw them a jab?

Jabs could be justified at numerous others as well. I gave a response that was in no way derogatory toward Oppo. You are the one who flipped because you are so defensive of the brands you own.



Why did you throw Oppo out there?

Because Oppo is a company that sells A/V gear at affordable prices but makes the added effort to produce well written manuals unlike Emotiva. You never did mention which universal players with the features of the Oppo's cost less.

Affordable does not mean value. I suppose I missed your question about features. Which features are so special to you?


Quote:
I mentioned Onkyo because they have more serious problems than Emo, however you remain silent on those threads.

What data do you base that assumption on? So Onkyo has more problems per units sold than Emotiva does. If you want to play that game step up to the plate with actual data. Not just some obvious biased statements.

You are still twisting. I never said more problems per units sold. I did hint they are more severe than Emo's problems. Units operate without manuals and not with the same failed parts year after year. Why don't you suggest that they invest in better QC than manuals? After all you were a customer. I do think that MCode has verified that Onkyo is #1 with problems. The numbers data is your game used to avoid the truth. Do you think all the statements from Onkyo owners with failed units are biased or lies?

Quote:
I would rather have a poorly written manual than a unit that is only good for a boat anchor after the warranty expires.

Again show some data that shows Onkyo has more failures than Emotiva based per units sold.

Again. Read what I said and see answer above.


Quote:
I am glad that you are more satisfied with a manual than SQ.

I'm quite happy with my sound of my system. With that I also have excellent manuals if I have any questions on how the gear I own operates wink.gif.


Quote:
I think you are at the end of a limb and grasping to hang on. Why doesn't it make sense to acknowledge a problem accompanied by a solution.

I think it is you that is grasping at straws. I did acknowledge a problem (poorly written manuals) and offered a solution. The solution was for Emotiva to look at the way Oppo does it. Pretty simple but Emotiva refuses to offer well written manuals after many years of their customers asking for them.

Gee Bill. All roads lead to Onkyo. They had / may have more severe problems that you avoid like the flu. You should have advised them to look at Oppo. Your solution was no better than mine.


Quote:
Since you do not own or do not plan to own Emotiva products why shoud they listen to you?

Really? So I'm holding on to a 40% processor upgrade card just for the presitige of having one wink.gif. I've owned a UMC-1, USP-1, LPA-1, ERC-1 and a Sherbourn PA 7-150. I'd still own them if I was happy with their performance. But I don't as I found gear that functions better and sounds just as good if not better.

Hang on to that upgrade card. Antiques can be valuable. No gear will ever be perfect.


Quote:
Do you think you are a customer?

Yes I do. Isn't someone that buys a companies product a customer?

You are a past customer who complained so much you got booted out of Emotiva. Some customers are not needed.


Bill

Bill
post #16544 of 17192
Anybody wondering what happened to the UMC-500? In China it seems to be already available: http://www.tonewinner.com/product/detail.aspx?id=355
post #16545 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Anybody wondering what happened to the UMC-500? In China it seems to be already available: http://www.tonewinner.com/product/detail.aspx?id=355
Interesting hybrid /variant of different oem parts markus including the 200's decoders and dsp modes . What's different is the No of hdmi inputs ; 4 not 7 like the 500 .

This is interesting ;
Quote:
AD-7100HDII electronic crossover speaker parameters the user can adjust itself through the computer, you can adjust the bass crossover frequency, and knee slope, you can EQ adjustment, etc. The following is a computer PC software debugging interface.

Last mention of the 500 it had a usb type b you might hook up to a pc ; so may be a pointer to the future smile.gif
post #16546 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I am impressed by your response. It's rare when discussing external amps to see someone acknowledge scientific fact in this way. If you are not clipping when using your current amplification at the SPLs you require, then you have the amps you need already and won’t hear any benefit from external amplification. Most people rarely need more than a few watts of amp power if they are using speakers of average sensitivity (say 89dB/w/m) and sit at a typical listening distance from them (say 12 feet) and require typical listening levels (say 85-90dB, which is actually pretty loud). Most modern AVRs are sufficiently powerful to deliver these requirements. 

With the money you have saved on the amp, you could spend it where you really will hear a difference - a better, or additional, subwoofer, better speakers or, most important of all, room treatments if you are able to accommodate them. The latter will make huge differences to the sound quality and can cost surprisingly little. They are also easy to DIY and if you go that way you can fit out an entire room for the price of an external amp!

One other thing you can do to improve SQ actually costs nothing, other than a little time, and maybe some research: and that is to position your speakers and sub(s) in their optimal positions wrt to room modes and reflections.

Thanks for this response, i have recently upgraded everything; subwoofer (PSA XS 30), receiver (Onkyo 818), Speakers ( Goldenear Triton II,s SS50 soon to be SCXL), Bluray Player (Sony S790). My theater is completely insulated room. I have zero echo and very smooth response.

I do like your ideas though.

 

Sounds like you have a good handle on it all. Enjoy!

post #16547 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

10 what above Reference?  I assume you don't mean 10dB!  That's about 10 times the power. So if your 200 watt Emo amp can play to Reference level, to get 10dB more you’d need a 2000 watt amp. I am sure you can see that this would be entirely unnecessary. Even if your speakers could handle 2000 watts, which they can't (unless you borrowed them from Led Zeppelin). 

If you play movies to Reference, you need 85dB average (easy) and 105dB peak (115dB LFE) (not so easy). Once your amp can play 105dB cleanly, you are there. And this is assuming you play movies at Reference - almost nobody does, so you already have a good degree of headroom built in anyway. 

I wish it was +10db! No , I meant the AVR volume knob (-80 to +10, 0 being reference).

 

That's 10dB then. You've lost me now, sorry...

post #16548 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

I never missed your point. I simply implied that one should expect more if they pay more. You took that as a slam against a product you own.
You need to understand that Emo has been very successful without your input. Perhaps you can go over to the Onkyo threads and assist people who have a REAL problem.
Neither you nor I know the cost for anything that Emo does. Therefore, I did not speculate. I also agreed with your thinking about the manual and update. I notice you failed to respond about other manufacturer's manuals being lengthy and not exactly informative.
You are still comical Bill. When anyone responds to your posts you think they are defensive unless they jab as you do. I am comforted to know that you still wish Emo to succeed.

Tell me why anytime someone has the anything remotely negative to say about Emotiva you rush to their defense? Why the need to throw Onkyo out there? I don't understand your mindset. Why would I respond to other manufacturers manuals? Every single component I own has better manuals than anything Emotiva has ever put out. That's a fact that even Emotiva aknowledges. You acknowledge that Emotiva's manuals are lacking but you post "If Emotiva products were priced at the Oppo level they might offer more". That statement makes no sense and I'm not the only one that thinks that. When companies like Emotiva stop listening to their customers input they suffer as a company as well as their customers suffer.

No offense but many here read your posts and see quite clearly who is the "comical" one wink.gif.

Bill

 

+1 to all that.

post #16549 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
 
I would rather have a poorly written manual than a unit that is only good for a boat anchor after the warranty expires. 

 

Ah!  Now we know what you used the UMC-1 for! :)  But before the warranty expired, presumably! 

post #16550 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post

As I continue to look at what amp I want to add to my system it is this exact crap that comes up on this thread that has me leaning Outlaw. Emo and Oppo compare very well in the pricing of their value products. I don't understand why one company doesn't feel the need to provide good customer service. I saw Bills post as a level that Emo should shoot for with Oppo as the example. Spend one to two k on enough products that ****** manuals and mystery firmware updates are acceptable - seriously???rolleyes.gif outlaw or a second sub but not Emo for now.

 

I wouldn’t let the banter in here detract from the fact that Emotiva make sell very good amps. I am sure Outlaw do too, but I would look at both objectively rather than be influenced by the cr&p that some of the users of this thread spout from time to time. You don't really need a manual for an amplifier anyway, and the one that Emo produces already is adequate. Where they let themselves down is with the very poor manuals for the more complex stuff they sell - processors, source units etc. But then, I'd personally never recommend anyone buy a processor or a CD player or a DAC etc etc from Emo anyway.

post #16551 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I wouldn’t let the banter in here detract from the fact that Emotiva make sell very good amps. I am sure Outlaw do too, but I would look at both objectively rather than be influenced by the cr&p that some of the users of this thread spout from time to time. You don't really need a manual for an amplifier anyway, and the one that Emo produces already is adequate. Where they let themselves down is with the very poor manuals for the more complex stuff they sell - processors, source units etc. But then, I'd personally never recommend anyone buy a processor or a CD player or a DAC etc etc from Emo anyway.

You consider anything crap if you do not spout it. Yet you continually spout about the quality of Emo amps.

My first XPA5 was in the shop two times. It was replaced on the third return for the same problem in less than a year. Less than a year later the replacement has the same problem.

I owned the UMC-1 and now the UMC-200. No problems with either.

How should one look at my situation objectively?
post #16552 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

You consider anything crap if you do not spout it. Yet you continually spout about the quality of Emo amps.

My first XPA5 was in the shop two times. It was replaced on the third return for the same problem in less than a year. Less than a year later the replacement has the same problem.

I owned the UMC-1 and now the UMC-200. No problems with either.

How should one look at my situation objectively?

One should understand that if everything Emotiva makes were like the ones you bought, they would have been out of business long ago. Objective enough?
post #16553 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Sounds like you have a good handle on it all. Enjoy!

Thanks.
post #16554 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

One should understand that if everything Emotiva makes were like the ones you bought, they would have been out of business long ago. Objective enough?

What part of objective do you understand?
post #16555 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I wouldn’t let the banter in here detract from the fact that Emotiva make sell very good amps. I am sure Outlaw do too, but I would look at both objectively rather than be influenced by the cr&p that some of the users of this thread spout from time to time. You don't really need a manual for an amplifier anyway, and the one that Emo produces already is adequate. Where they let themselves down is with the very poor manuals for the more complex stuff they sell - processors, source units etc. But then, I'd personally never recommend anyone buy a processor or a CD player or a DAC etc etc from Emo anyway.

You consider anything crap if you do not spout it. 

 

I’d need to see evidence to support that assertion before taking it seriously.

 

Quote:

 

 Yet you continually spout about the quality of Emo amps.

 

Yes, Emotiva amps are very good quality, especially for the money. All four of mine are working perfectly, and have been for a number of years now. Highly recommended.

 

 

Quote:

 My first XPA5 was in the shop two times. It was replaced on the third return for the same problem in less than a year. Less than a year later the replacement has the same problem.

 

I’d move on to another brand if I were you. Bryston are supposed to be pretty good.

 

Quote:

 I owned the UMC-1 and now the UMC-200. No problems with either.

 

?? You must have had problems with the UMC-1 - it didn't work properly. Emo admitted this. Example: bass management incorrectly designed. Unfixable.

 

 

Quote:

 How should one look at my situation objectively?

 

I wouldn’t care to comment on a family forum ;)

post #16556 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I wouldn’t let the banter in here detract from the fact that Emotiva make sell very good amps. I am sure Outlaw do too, but I would look at both objectively rather than be influenced by the cr&p that some of the users of this thread spout from time to time. You don't really need a manual for an amplifier anyway, and the one that Emo produces already is adequate. Where they let themselves down is with the very poor manuals for the more complex stuff they sell - processors, source units etc. But then, I'd personally never recommend anyone buy a processor or a CD player or a DAC etc etc from Emo anyway.

I've bought Emotiva gear for over six years until recently and moved on. Too many issues for me.
Edited by neekos - 11/23/13 at 6:37am
post #16557 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I wouldn’t let the banter in here detract from the fact that Emotiva make sell very good amps. I am sure Outlaw do too, but I would look at both objectively rather than be influenced by the cr&p that some of the users of this thread spout from time to time. You don't really need a manual for an amplifier anyway, and the one that Emo produces already is adequate. Where they let themselves down is with the very poor manuals for the more complex stuff they sell - processors, source units etc. But then, I'd personally never recommend anyone buy a processor or a CD player or a DAC etc etc from Emo anyway.

You consider anything crap if you do not spout it. Yet you continually spout about the quality of Emo amps.

My first XPA5 was in the shop two times. It was replaced on the third return for the same problem in less than a year. Less than a year later the replacement has the same problem.

Anybody else reporting that the XPA45 has congenital problems? Design errors do happen and can take a while to work themselves out.

What are you doing to these poor babies?

I know how to fry as many amps or AVRs in a day as I want to. ;-)
post #16558 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Anybody else reporting that the XPA45 has congenital problems? Design errors do happen and can take a while to work themselves out.

What are you doing to these poor babies?

I know how to fry as many amps or AVRs in a day as I want to. ;-)

They aren't frying. Just going into protection mode.
post #16559 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Anybody wondering what happened to the UMC-500? In China it seems to be already available: http://www.tonewinner.com/product/detail.aspx?id=355

 

Interesting, I wonder if that's how Emotiva came up with the UMC-200 as there was little advance notice it was being released.

post #16560 of 17192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

But then, I'd personally never recommend anyone buy a processor or a CD player or a DAC etc etc from Emo anyway.

Why not?
I was considering getting a processor or a pre-amp from them in the future, since I already have the power amp. But I know absolutely nothing about them. What is wrong with their CD players or DACs? Is it bad engineering? Design? Bad parts? Unreliability? Poor sound (how poor)? And compared to what? At what price?
I will not need one for the next few years - unless what I have now breaks - but I still would like to know.
Thanks a lot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › EMOTIVA Thread Q&A [TECHNICAL TALK ONLY]