or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Rotel Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rotel Owner's Thread - Page 38

post #1111 of 1282
I got my receiver back last week. Hooked it up and it is still broken. Rotel told me that after three repairs (three times a charm???), they replace with a new one at N/C. They emailed me a prepaid UPS label and assured me of a five business day turnaround once my old unit arrives in MA. They told me they probably could not replace it with another 1056 and it would have to be a newer model. Probably a RSX-1550
We shall see....
post #1112 of 1282
I'm considering the purchase of a Rotel RMB-1565 amplifier for my surround channels. Not much power but it's all I need for these four back channels.

Does anyone have any experience or comments with this amplifier?
Thanks.
Edited by SugarmillMan - 10/20/12 at 1:58pm
post #1113 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post

I'm considering the purchase of a Rotel RMB-1565 amplifier for my surround channels. Not much power but it's all I need for these four back channels.
Does anyone have any experience or comments with this amplifier?
Thanks.

I use its bigger brother (1575) to power the front 5 speakers and it amazes me how it can run for hours without getting hot, in fact, barely warm. The 1565 should be about perfect for 4 back channels.
post #1114 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrench View Post

I use its bigger brother (1575) to power the front 5 speakers and it amazes me how it can run for hours without getting hot, in fact, barely warm. The 1565 should be about perfect for 4 back channels.

Thank you. I've heard many good things about your amplifier. Your comments make the smaller version look more like a contender.
post #1115 of 1282
RMB 1575 owners, how do you like your amp for music? Did you ever demo your amp aganst say a comparable AB amp like that from Parasound? I ask because I have seen some glowing reviews of this Rotel amp, yet this guy Mike Fremer at hometheater.com wrote a combined review of both the Rotel RSP 1070 and the RMB 1575. He was positive on the RSP 1070, but very much down on the RMB 1575 saying for music it simply did not produce detals anywhere near as clear and good as his Parasound AB class amp.

Im not even sure how he isolated what he thought he was hearing in the RMB 1575 and not the RSP 1070 since he was reviewing both together as one set up? Anyone else familiar with his review or have comments on these two Rotel components.
post #1116 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post

I'm considering the purchase of a Rotel RMB-1565 amplifier for my surround channels. Not much power but it's all I need for these four back channels.
Does anyone have any experience or comments with this amplifier?
Thanks.
I think you'll find that this amp has more than enough power for your application. I use mine to power my entire 5.1 setup, consisting of B&W 805S, HTM4S, and SCMS, and I'm totally satisfied with the sound.
post #1117 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breako View Post

RMB 1575 owners, how do you like your amp for music? Did you ever demo your amp aganst say a comparable AB amp like that from Parasound? I ask because I have seen some glowing reviews of this Rotel amp, yet this guy Mike Fremer at hometheater.com wrote a combined review of both the Rotel RSP 1070 and the RMB 1575. He was positive on the RSP 1070, but very much down on the RMB 1575 saying for music it simply did not produce detals anywhere near as clear and good as his Parasound AB class amp.
Im not even sure how he isolated what he thought he was hearing in the RMB 1575 and not the RSP 1070 since he was reviewing both together as one set up? Anyone else familiar with his review or have comments on these two Rotel components.

I'm not sure how he separated the functions either, but I am totally happy with the 1575 for music, using Yamaha RX-A2000 as the processor. There are limited options where I live for testing, but what I was able to hear was usually more expensive. I happened to be offered a very good deal, so the decision was easier, but I would likely have picked the Rotel in any case.
post #1118 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

I think you'll find that this amp has more than enough power for your application. I use mine to power my entire 5.1 setup, consisting of B&W 805S, HTM4S, and SCMS, and I'm totally satisfied with the sound.

Thanks. It's a contender but if I can get approval for some additional funding (WAF factor) I might decide to upgrade further. Otherwise, it's the 1565 for me!
post #1119 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post

I got my receiver back last week. Hooked it up and it is still broken. Rotel told me that after three repairs (three times a charm???), they replace with a new one at N/C. They emailed me a prepaid UPS label and assured me of a five business day turnaround once my old unit arrives in MA. They told me they probably could not replace it with another 1056 and it would have to be a newer model. Probably a RSX-1550
We shall see....
Monday the 22nd, UPS dropped off a RSX-1057. Set it up and no problems after six hours run time. Thank you Rotel!
post #1120 of 1282
I am planning to put my RB-1080 for sale. I would appreciate if someone could let me know how much it is worth. I presume I am the second owner. It is in great shape. There are not many on eBay or Audiogon to get a good estimate. There is only one on Audiogon and that seems to be a single owner, newer amp (2008).

I no longer need it as I have all Klipsch speakers. I am also getting a hum (audible only if I go very close to the speakers) which I dont get when I use the AVR (Denon 3310). I dont want to chase this hum though it seems to be due to the RCA cables I have to use with the amp. Where as with my AVR I just use an optical cable to the source. I am trying to eliminate the use of RCA as much as possible and use optical.
post #1121 of 1282
Mupi,

Check to see if one has a 3 prong power plug and the other has a 2 prong.

If so, put a cheater plug on the 3 prong.

Of course, you probably already know this. smile.gif
post #1122 of 1282
Yep. But I don't like to use a cheater plug for my amp. It is well known that it is not a very good idea. That is why I am trying to sell the amp i.e not chase the subtle hum.
post #1123 of 1282
Dealer pushing me away from Rotel and into NAD!
I went to inquire about the Rotel Pre/Pro RSP1572 at my local dealer. He happens to be a Rotel and a NAD dealer.

My amp is a Rotel 1075 so I thought the RSP1572 would be a good match, but he keeps trying to sell me an NAD!

What gives? Does he make more of a profit margin with the NAD?
post #1124 of 1282
Get the Rotel regardless what he says.

I have the 1572 and totally live it.

Dynamic, open, airy, rich sound.

Much better than others I have owned like: Anthem d2v, pioneer sc-57 as pre, Yamaha rxa series as pre, lexicon mc-12 lexicon dc-2..

I always seem to come back to Rotel.. Something special the sound I can't put my fingers on..

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
post #1125 of 1282
RB-1080 issue:

The left channel on my RB-1080 is dead but the main fuse is fine. The fuse chart shows that there are 4 more fuses which I presume are 2 for each channel?

I opened the chassis but I am not sure which one is the fuse. The left speaker works when I use the speaker with the right channel and both the speakers work with the AVR. So I am guessing that the left channel fuse is blown?

It is not under warranty. If it is just the fuse, I thought I could change it myself after getting some feedback here. Or if it is a different issue and if I can get it fixed for some $150, I am ok with that too. I am still using the amp for center channel speaker using the right channel of the amp.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to change the internal fuse on the RB-1080 or any other model.
post #1126 of 1282
Internal fuses are easy to swap out. Be sure to replace with IDENTIVAL rated fuses. If in doubt (it is often hard to read them) go to Rotels website, they have a chart that lists each fuse. You should also put an ohm meter on each speaker lead to check the impedance. Disconnect at the amp, and put the meter on the cable. Depending one the rating of your speakers, you should have between 3 and 6 ohm loads. All speakers should test the same within 10%.
If all of the above tests out fine, you may have a dad power transistor or other relatively inexpensive component. Contact Rotel for service. They are very accomodating and stand behind their products.
post #1127 of 1282
Any idea where the internal fuses are located. I opened the case but could not locate the fuses
post #1128 of 1282
I think (operative word) they are all located on the power supply PCB but you'll want to look at the Rotel site. In many cases, they have service sheets that show everything and list the parts. The fuses are standard 'Buss' minature glass fuses.
Here is the fuse chart:
http://www.bwgroupsupport.com/reference/rotel-fuses

I checked the site listing servce manuals, yours is not listed.
http://www.bwgroupsupport.com/manuals/rotel-service

You might want to put a call or email in to them in Massacusetts on Monday.
post #1129 of 1282
Hi,

I have a SC35 (LX73 in Sydney Australia) which used to play good. I wanted to explore improvement and bought a Rotel 1080 to power my front speakers (Castle Howard S3). I have connected the front pre-outs to the Rotel using a red/white decent RCA cable.

I got very minimal to no improvement in my sound. In fact after re-calibrating, there was way too much bass. The front reference levels also went up to +5 (from +4).

Is there anything I can tweak further to get some SQ improvement. The Rotel is 200 watts per channel which should have provided crisper sound but not very impressed yet.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
post #1130 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

RB-1080 issue:
The left channel on my RB-1080 is dead but the main fuse is fine. The fuse chart shows that there are 4 more fuses which I presume are 2 for each channel?
I opened the chassis but I am not sure which one is the fuse. The left speaker works when I use the speaker with the right channel and both the speakers work with the AVR. So I am guessing that the left channel fuse is blown?
It is not under warranty. If it is just the fuse, I thought I could change it myself after getting some feedback here. Or if it is a different issue and if I can get it fixed for some $150, I am ok with that too. I am still using the amp for center channel speaker using the right channel of the amp.
I was wondering if anyone has tried to change the internal fuse on the RB-1080 or any other model.

I had a similar issue on my 990 and even though the fuses looked fine, I replaced them all and was back in business. Good luck!
post #1131 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post

I had a similar issue on my 990 and even though the fuses looked fine, I replaced them all and was back in business. Good luck!

Could you point out where the internal fuses are located on the 990. The location could be similar on the 1080 also.
post #1132 of 1282
I have the Rotel Rb991. To check out the fuses, unplug the amp and take off all the screws that hold the top down. Remove the top and have a look inside. Though the fuses are small, they are not hidden. Remove the fuses from the side that is not working. When I lost a channel on mine some years ago, I took the fuse to Radio Shack and found a replacement for a few dollars. Popped it in and it played fine ever since.
post #1133 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Get the Rotel regardless what he says.
I have the 1572 and totally live it.
Dynamic, open, airy, rich sound.
Much better than others I have owned like: Anthem d2v, pioneer sc-57 as pre, Yamaha rxa series as pre, lexicon mc-12 lexicon dc-2..
I always seem to come back to Rotel.. Something special the sound I can't put my fingers on..
Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Quite the statement there, a real praise for Rotel.
post #1134 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNooL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Get the Rotel regardless what he says.
I have the 1572 and totally live it.
Dynamic, open, airy, rich sound.
Much better than others I have owned like: Anthem d2v, pioneer sc-57 as pre, Yamaha rxa series as pre, lexicon mc-12 lexicon dc-2..
I always seem to come back to Rotel.. Something special the sound I can't put my fingers on..
Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Quite the statement there, a real praise for Rotel.
very true. LOL.

The others I listed sound amazing but Rotel just seems different and special.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
post #1135 of 1282
Does anyone know how I can get to the status menu on my Rotel RSX-1056?

I just added a neotv box to my sound reciever to composite video in 5 and video in 5. And I want to get it working but I can't see anything on my screen. Not even the status menu when I push the menu/osd button on my remote. Am I doing something wrong?

My projector is plugged in to component video mon out in the audio reciever. The sound reciever is plugged in to video 3 on my projector. I've got my projector turned on to video 3. I've got my rotel turned on to video 5. Nothing happens at all (just a blank screen) unless I push the v3 button on my remote which then pulls up the menu, not the system status menu but my projector's menu which doesn't help me.

Thanks.
post #1136 of 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post

I have the Rotel Rb991. To check out the fuses, unplug the amp and take off all the screws that hold the top down. Remove the top and have a look inside. Though the fuses are small, they are not hidden. Remove the fuses from the side that is not working. When I lost a channel on mine some years ago, I took the fuse to Radio Shack and found a replacement for a few dollars. Popped it in and it played fine ever since.

Thanks
post #1137 of 1282
I have stacked two Rotel 1572 amps on top of each other in my audio shelf rack system. Am I going to have heat related issues or will these class D amps run cool enough to be OK?
post #1138 of 1282
I am sure they will run cool enough unless you have them cranked up to 11 for hours on end.
post #1139 of 1282
I've always wondered if I am getting the best possible sound quality out my 804 Diamonds by running them with Rotel Class D amps. I wonder if I used my NAD amp (less power 140/ channel but it's either class A or AB, not sure) if I would have better sound? ( Because of their location, it's not possible to run a quick test)

Any one with experience with these amps?.
Edited by SugarmillMan - 11/27/12 at 6:27am
post #1140 of 1282
Dear Sir/madam,

I would like to buy Audio Physic Spark-manufacture 2005

I know they produce them for 5 years ago

So I can buy brand new or second hand.

Pls contact me soon.

Thanks and b.regards,

Nguyen My
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Rotel Owner's Thread