or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Rotel Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rotel Owner's Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by adman227 View Post

What does Rotel list as the current per channel in amperes this amp produces?

Could you not look this up yourself at the Rotel site?
post #152 of 1285
I am thinking of adding this amp. It will run my Paradigm Studio 100's and CC-570.

I would like to use the other two channels to either run each voice coil of a dual voice coil 4ohm sub or bridge them and run a single voice coil 4ohm sub.

Would these set-ups be O.K. for this amp? My concern is mixing a 4ohm load with an 8ohm on the same amp. Will the 1095 have a problem with this?

Thanks.
post #153 of 1285
I'm sorry but for some reason this info isn't posted from what I could see.
If you have the link, pls post it.
If you don't mind, and this doesn't terribly inconvenience you too much, do you have the information to help out?

Thanks.
post #154 of 1285
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adman227 View Post

I'm sorry but for some reason this info isn't posted from what I could see.
If you have the link, pls post it.
If you don't mind, and this doesn't terribly inconvenience you too much, do you have the information to help out?

Thanks.

Not what you were looking for, but the closest I could find was for a 1075, found at this location:

http://www.hometheaterstore.com/Prod...ctCode=RMB1075

"This multi-channel power amplifier delivers 120 watts (all channels driven), thanks to a power supply composed of a generous 1,500 VA toroidal transformer and eight 10,000 µf British-made Slit Foil capacitors. 20 output devices, each of which is rated for 130 watts and 15 amperes of current capability, make full use of the supply 's potential."

Unfortunately, their description for the 1080 doesn't include any discussion of amperes:

http://www.hometheaterstore.com/Prod...uctCode=RB1080
post #155 of 1285
....didn't think it was readily available from what I could see either.
Anyone else know by chance?

Much appreciated!!
post #156 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Unfortunately, their description for the 1080 doesn't include any discussion of amperes:

I am a big Rotel fan (some of the best bang for the buck, but there are much better amps and pre's out there...again for the money hard to beat) and I am using a 1080 on a VERY power hungry pair of MBL 101a speakers and it seems to handle them quite well... Not sure of the numbers but subjectively, VERY NICE SOUND! I use a 1090 to power my Martin Logan Prodigy, also PLENTY OF POWER for those equally difficult speakers to run (1050 for my zone 2 speakers and 1095 on the other 5 speakers in my primary Martin Logan HT set up).
post #157 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinV10 View Post

I just got my Rotel gear today. Got a RSP 1068 preamp and a RMB1095 5 channel amp to drive Martin Logan Vantage Speakers and a Martin Logan State (coming soon) center. Im not sure what Im doing for the rears yet, but Im VERY satisfied with how it sounds after a few hours of tuning this evening.

Oh, another Martin Logan/Rotel guy! COOL!

Just found this thread. Been following the RPTV thread but just got over here.

Be sure and check out the Martin Logan Owners Club site too.

Here is my current gear:
Home Theater in the family room...the main system-

Rotel RB-1090 for Prodigy fronts
Rotel RMB-1095 for Theater, Ascent, Script (Descent is the powered sub)
Rotel RSP-1098 (SWEET! I use the TFT screen for my security cameras! YEA!!)
Rotel RT-1080
Rotel RDV-1050 (really NOT a very good DVD player...my Sony 400 disc changer is better)
Rotel phono stage (can't remember the number)
Rotel RB-1050 for all zone 2 speakers run off the RSP1098...just LOVE that Pre!

Dedicated 2 channel System-
MBL 101a speakers (FREAKING AWESOME!!!)
Rotel RC-1070 2 channel Pre
Rotel RB-1080 amp

Here are a couple of pics...you can also find them over on AudioGon "Martin Logan Heaven"
LL
LL
post #158 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizelbs View Post

Thanks. I sure hope so. I've read good things about it. I know its not the last amp I'll ever buy (the guy I bought it from is moving up to Pass Labs 350.5)

That was a good and VERY BIG step up there. I would love to put a Pass, Plinius or MBL amp into my 2 channel system...
post #159 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkisagoonie View Post

The RB-1080 has a strong bottom end with smooth, perhaps slightly rolled-off highs (this is actually a good thing for B&Ws, which do tend to have bright tweeters) and plenty of midrange punch. It's a lot of amp for the money.

I disagree. In my system the Rotel "house sound" if you will is quite bright. That is in large part due to a quite bright room, but I was running Pioneer Elite VSX-49Tx prior to the Rotel change over and there were some scenes in movies I had watched several times that were almost PAINFULLY bright!

This is through Martin Logan speakers now mind you and those bad boys can produce some high freq!

My MBL 101's with the RB1080 seem slightly less bright... still pretty bright though! YMMV!
post #160 of 1285
Crescent, I've owned the ROtel RB-965 for 6 years now. I to wish to upgrade someday but looking at more of a real upgrade than just moving to another Rotel unit. Rotel is realy considered 'entry level' in high-end equipment. Walk into any high end audio store and the lowest prices equipment sold will be Rotel or Arcam. It's great product for the money. But Im just saying Im ready to upgrade to one of the following.

Audio Refinement PRE-2DSP
Cary Cinema 6
Cary Cinema 11
Proceed AVP2
post #161 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinlp View Post

Crescent, I've owned the ROtel RB-965 for 6 years now. I to wish to upgrade someday but looking at more of a real upgrade than just moving to another Rotel unit. Rotel is realy considered 'entry level' in high-end equipment. Walk into any high end audio store and the lowest prices equipment sold will be Rotel or Arcam. It's great product for the money. But Im just saying Im ready to upgrade to one of the following.

Audio Refinement PRE-2DSP
Cary Cinema 6
Cary Cinema 11
Proceed AVP2

Actually, Rotel is considered mid-level in high-end equipment. NAD, Cambridge Audio are considered entry-level in high-end equipment. But yeah, it is great product for the money definitely.
post #162 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinlp View Post

Crescent, I've owned the ROtel RB-965 for 6 years now. I to wish to upgrade someday but looking at more of a real upgrade than just moving to another Rotel unit. Rotel is realy considered 'entry level' in high-end equipment. Walk into any high end audio store and the lowest prices equipment sold will be Rotel or Arcam. It's great product for the money. But Im just saying Im ready to upgrade to one of the following.

Audio Refinement PRE-2DSP
Cary Cinema 6
Cary Cinema 11
Proceed AVP2

Wow! Thanks for the reply. It's been so long, I had to go back and see what it was you were replying to. Here's the deal. I'm a value lover. So I'm not going to spring $5000 for a 15% improvement. I recently upgraded my speakers. That was a great bang for the buck. The old RTC-965 sounded brand new. I tried a NAD T163 and a Creative X-Fi sound card. Neither was as good.

I find my mind is distracted if the sound is not of "x" quality. With what I have I don't notice myself thinking about sound quality, but rather, I can focus on the material at hand.

So for me, I think I'm at the point of diminishing returns as far as quality. Putting the money into speakers was definitely a better move.

Thank you, though. I appreciate the input!
post #163 of 1285
15% improvement in sound is optomistic in my experience. The differences are usually subtle compared to Rotel. At least a couple of the pre/pros he mentioned have been out of production for some time with no warranty coverage and limited video swithching.
post #164 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 View Post

15% improvement in sound is optomistic in my experience. The differences are usually subtle compared to Rotel. At least a couple of the pre/pros he mentioned have been out of production for some time with no warranty coverage and limited video swithching.

I agree, I think you would be lucky to get a 15% improvement. But this is all subjective and qualitative. You really can't quantify (in a meaningful way to anyone else anyway) how much you prefer or perceive a difference between the sound of Hi (or mid if you prefer)- Fi components. There is also a certain amount of synergy that can be present in certain systems. Somethings play well and sound good together, but other things don't! Not that one is better or worse, they just don't mix well... YMMV!
post #165 of 1285
Is there anybody that can elaborate on the 1068's multichannel PCM capabilities? Does it do everything, including the 10+ LFE boost?

I don't care one bit about HDMI 1.3, and since Rotel seems to be bringing out a new line, I thought I might be able to score the 1068 for a good price in the near future.
post #166 of 1285
I'm always a bit surprised about components that don't sound well together. Start with the speakers. Don't buy speakers that are too bright or mellow. You want accurate loudspeakers. Then you can tell if your other components are too brite or not. But it starts with the speakers. If you make concessions there, then you have to try and compensate with the electronics. Audition, audition, audition......

Once you have the speakers in place and they're broken in, many dealerships will let you demo pieces in home these days. That audition becomes much easier.
post #167 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent View Post

I'm always a bit surprised about components that don't sound well together. Start with the speakers. Don't buy speakers that are too bright or mellow. You want accurate loudspeakers. Then you can tell if your other components are too brite or not. But it starts with the speakers. If you make concessions there, then you have to try and compensate with the electronics. Audition, audition, audition......

Once you have the speakers in place and they're broken in, many dealerships will let you demo pieces in home these days. That audition becomes much easier.

Absolutely! LOVE my Martin Logan's for their accuracy and general open live, liquid midrange! The Rotel gear seems to work well with them too!! My room is to bright, but there is not much I can do about a family room/ HT room... You know those multipurpose spaces... Often the ROOM is the limiting factor!
post #168 of 1285
Great insight! I would be willing to bet that 3/4 of the people who have problems with the sound of their systems have room problems that need to be addressed. When bass boom/suck outs and early high reflections are dealt with, the improvement is usually better than any change in an electronic component. But new electronics is more fun and people have a tendency to overestimate what improvement occurs with a new amp or preamp.
post #169 of 1285
I just replaced a "dead" Carver amp with a Rotel RB-1070. It's simply awesome! I'm happy to be finally part of Rotel owners club.
post #170 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post

I just replaced a "dead" Carver amp with a Rotel RB-1070. It's simply awesome! I'm happy to be finally part of Rotel owners club.

Welcome to the Rotel group! Good gear at a good price...can't beat that! Nice asthetics too. I have a 1090 and 1095 (for HT work), 1080 for a 2 channel set up w/ MBL 101 speakers (yea, I know they deserve MUCH MORE AMP than that! Pass labs some day or MBL8011's), and an RB1050 for my Zone 2 speakers that the Rotel HT (RSP1098) drives.
post #171 of 1285
I have a couple of questions for people who own the RSP-1068 along with any rotel amp. How have you connected your two pieces together? did you use the stock RCA cables that came with the RSP-1068 or did you use something better?

btw, i just joined the rotel club with the 1068/1080. love it so far.
post #172 of 1285
Anyone test driven the rb1072?
post #173 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

Anyone test driven the rb1072?

Do you mean the 1092? I havent heard of a 1072 (yet)?
post #174 of 1285
the rb1072 is 100 x2 supposedly 2 channel version of the 1077.
post #175 of 1285
I was under the impression that the 1072 was not shipping yet. Frankly I am interested to hear it, though I would rather see a 1082 first.
post #176 of 1285
Thread Starter 
post #177 of 1285
Ahh, yes.. I am excited about the 1082 pre amp, though I was referring to the (unannounced but hopefully not unplanned) RB-1082 200W x2 class D replacement for the RB-1080.
post #178 of 1285
RB-1082... I certainly second that !
post #179 of 1285
The RB-1072 hasn't shipped yet, but the official retail price in my company database seems to be $899, up from the RB-1070 that sells at $699.

Some of the guys at Rotel rumored about a possible 200Wx2 Class-D amp at some point in the future, so I wouldn't lose hope yet. It does seem though that Rotel is so confident in ICEpower that it will eventually replace ALL of their traditional Class A/B designs.
post #180 of 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

I have a couple of questions for people who own the RSP-1068 along with any rotel amp. How have you connected your two pieces together? did you use the stock RCA cables that came with the RSP-1068 or did you use something better?

btw, i just joined the rotel club with the 1068/1080. love it so far.

I have used the RSP 1068 with the RMB 1095/1090 for the last couple of years now.I have gone thru a few different cables...among them AudioQuest King Cobras,which were great,but was not quite what I was looking for.
To me,they were very smooth to the point of somewhat 'dulling' the music.
I now use Zu cables,which is a company I found on the net.They are a lot 'brighter' sounding cable...which I prefer when listening to music.
They are comparable in price to the King Cobras...

But,to answer your question...yeah,get rid of the stock cables.They are just to get you out of the rain,and your nice equipment deserves it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Rotel Owner's Thread