or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › HDMI audio/video splitter????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HDMI audio/video splitter????

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, not sure if this belongs here...

I was wondering if anyone makes an HDMI splitter that can take an HDMI signal from a device and split the audio and video portions into two separate HDMI outputs? My problem is I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVI which is a receiver that processes HDMI audio, but when I try to pass a 1080p video signal from my PS3 through to my TV, it won't recognize the signal at all because the receiver can't process 1080p...I confirmed this with Pioneer over the phone. I would love to send one HDMI cable with just the 1080p video portion to my LCD, while the other cable would carry just the audio portion to the receiver.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
post #2 of 29
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
post #3 of 29
Quote:

Is the splitter in the above link HDCP compliant?

Edit: The reviews on that page suggest it isn't and that it doesn't work with equipment that use HDCP, like the PS3 etc.

Personnally, I know of an expensive HDCP compliant switcher that should work as an HDMI/HDCP compliant splitter. The price is $699.00. The PureLink HS-42A Switching System "The first legal switcher with dual outputs".

If the splitter in the above link would work, I'd be all over it.

Paul
post #4 of 29
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Personnally, I know of an expensive HDCP compliant switcher that should work as an HDMI/HDCP compliant splitter. The price is $699.00. The PureLink HS-42A Switching System "The first legal switcher with dual outputs".

If the splitter in the above link would work, I'd be all over it.

Edit:
Re: The HS-42A "The first legal switcher with dual outputs"

The PureLink HS-42A is "HDCP compliant for both outputs"

Paul
post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
Guys, can anyone confirm that any of these splitters output ONLY the audio portion of the HDMI signal via one of the outputs??? I could be wrong but it seems like all these splitters do is double the combined audio/video HDMI signal. I need two separate outputs, one that outputs the video and one that outputs the audio...
post #7 of 29
Could be a stupid question, but why can't you double the signal and run one signal to the T.V. (and have it process only video) and the other to the receiver (and have it process only audio)? If there is a 1080p signal to the receiver, will it not process the audio just because it can't do the video?
post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EocThermos View Post

Could be a stupid question, but why can't you double the signal and run one signal to the T.V. (and have it process only video) and the other to the receiver (and have it process only audio)? If there is a 1080p signal to the receiver, will it not process the audio just because it can't do the video?

Unfortunately, no. In order to get a 1080p video signal AND the higher end audio formats like 7.1 PCM, you are forced to output both video and audio through the PS3's HDMI output. The combined audio/video signal, when passed through the receiver, is not recognized. The HDMI light on the receiver blinks on and off repeatedly because it can't handle/recognize the 1080p video signal. I don't think there is a way I can tell the receiver to "ignore" the video portion and just process the audio portion. The reason for this is the receiver actually has a video upconversion utility through the HDMI port, and is only designed to handle 720p/1080i. If anyone has any ideas how I can work around this annoyance, I would be very greatful.
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Edit:
Re: The HS-42A "The first legal switcher with dual outputs"

The PureLink HS-42A is "HDCP compliant for both outputs"

Paul

That's a very nice unit, but haven't seen any feedback on it. Wonder how well it works or if there's any problem. That's hefty price for it though, wish it's HDMI 1.3.

How would it compare to the gefen 4x2 (that retails for $549)?
post #10 of 29
Doesn't 7.1 PCM and 1080p down the same cable require HDMI 1.3? So any splitter would have to support that too?
post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by choddo2006 View Post

Doesn't 7.1 PCM and 1080p down the same cable require HDMI 1.3? So any splitter would have to support that too?

I don't believe so. 1080p has been supported since HDMI 1.0, and PCM has been supported since HDMI 1.1. Its the receiver that is the limiting factor.
post #12 of 29
Anyone aware of any hdmi 1.3/1.3a rated strictly hdmi splitters on the way?
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsation View Post

Unfortunately, no. In order to get a 1080p video signal AND the higher end audio formats like 7.1 PCM, you are forced to output both video and audio through the PS3's HDMI output. The combined audio/video signal, when passed through the receiver, is not recognized. The HDMI light on the receiver blinks on and off repeatedly because it can't handle/recognize the 1080p video signal. I don't think there is a way I can tell the receiver to "ignore" the video portion and just process the audio portion. The reason for this is the receiver actually has a video upconversion utility through the HDMI port, and is only designed to handle 720p/1080i. If anyone has any ideas how I can work around this annoyance, I would be very greatful.

Have you tried changing the output selection on the ps3 to 1080i instead of 1080p?

Settings>Video output settings>hdmi>1080i, de-selelct 1080p. Chances are your tv will convert the 1080i signal to 1080p for display.
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by muncey View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

How about this

I've tried this, but it gives me constant HDCP handshaking problems. I have to unplug and replug in my equipment over and over before it finally gives me a picture, and when it does it won't pass YCbCr at all, just RGB.

It's going back.
post #15 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsation View Post

Hi guys, not sure if this belongs here...

I was wondering if anyone makes an HDMI splitter that can take an HDMI signal from a device and split the audio and video portions into two separate HDMI outputs? My problem is I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVI which is a receiver that processes HDMI audio, but when I try to pass a 1080p video signal from my PS3 through to my TV, it won't recognize the signal at all because the receiver can't process 1080p...I confirmed this with Pioneer over the phone. I would love to send one HDMI cable with just the 1080p video portion to my LCD, while the other cable would carry just the audio portion to the receiver.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

Pulsation:
Did you ever find a solution to this issue (i.e. splitting the video/HD audio HDMI output from your PS3 so you can enjoy 1080p video directly to the display and the HD audio through your Pioneer receiver)? Any knowledge/experience with Gefen products? Let me know as I am facing the exact same dilemna (same exact equipment as well).

Thanks.
...Glenn
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsation View Post

Unfortunately, no. In order to get a 1080p video signal AND the higher end audio formats like 7.1 PCM, you are forced to output both video and audio through the PS3's HDMI output. The combined audio/video signal, when passed through the receiver, is not recognized. The HDMI light on the receiver blinks on and off repeatedly because it can't handle/recognize the 1080p video signal. I don't think there is a way I can tell the receiver to "ignore" the video portion and just process the audio portion. The reason for this is the receiver actually has a video upconversion utility through the HDMI port, and is only designed to handle 720p/1080i. If anyone has any ideas how I can work around this annoyance, I would be very greatful.

I don't think you are following what the poster said. The PS3 outputs on a single HDMI cable to a splitter. From the splitter you send HDMI to the AVR and HDMI to the TV. The AVR will process the audio only and the TV will process the video only if you have the TV speakers set to off. I would recommend Monoprice's 4x2 switch. It is a Matrix 1.3a switch. Works well and it is pretty cheap. I use it to send signal to my TV and Projector.

/www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=3728&seq=1&format=2
post #17 of 29
mjg100 - I understand the OP so let me clarify again.

He wants 1080p on his video device. So, he sets the PS3 to output 1080p. However, if he connects to the receiver directly, it does not pass through 1080p and does not process audio either. This is true even if he/she uses the HDMI splitter if all the splitter is doing is sending 1080p/7.1 PCM through both HDMI outputs. Then the receiver is going to reject it again.

I am in the same boat now with my H/K AVR 745 receiver. I bought a 1080p projector and can only pass through 1080i through the receiver from my PS3.
post #18 of 29
The only thing I know of that can do this is the Lumagen Radiance. It can output 1080p on one output and output a blank 1080i signal (needed as a carrier as audio is carried within the video) w/audio on its second output.

Shawn
post #19 of 29
There is also the new DVDO Edge (that's much much cheaper!): one output full HDMI and another HDMI only audio.
post #20 of 29
Many receivers require a video signal in order to operate but they can't accept 1080p video. You can use a Lumagen Radiance video processor to solve this problem.

The Radiance has two HDMI outputs. You can connect one output to a display and the other output to a receiver. If you turn "off" video, for the output connected to the receiver, that output is set to blank 1080i video with audio. Your receiver will work with this signal.

Best regards,
Randy Freeman

support@lumagen.com
post #21 of 29
As mentioned, the DVDO Edge will do this. Its second HDMI output has the audio component and a blank 720p video signal.
post #22 of 29
Thinking about this some more it might be worth it to contact Octavia to see if they can customize one of their splitters to your specs.
post #23 of 29
Having the same issue here with the elite 74, any cheap solution?
post #24 of 29
I'm in the same boat as the OP: my receiver chokes if 1080p video is present on its HDMI input. My solution has been to use 1080p HDMI to the displays and just run regular old S/PDIF DTS audio to the receiver. I did some testing, and the sound quality drop isn't something I'd normally notice unless I were specifically listening to music, but I don't do that through my video setup. For video and games, I will eventually fix this problem the right way the next time I replace either my receiver or my VP, but for now, it isn't worth the money.

The money, BTW, is about $600. That will get either a DVDO Edge from Amazon these days, or a new receiver of reasonable audio quality that can deal with 1080p.
post #25 of 29
I currently have a ps3 and an xbox360 connected via hdmi to my Samsung 46ln630 hdtv. From the hdtv, I have an optical cable connected to my Logitech Z-5500s. My problem lies in that when I have the optical cable going directly from the ps3/xbox360 to the Z-5500s, it outputs the audio in the correct format of the source, as in dts or dolby digital, but when I have the optical cable running from the hdtv to the Z-5500s (my current setup), I no longer get the dts or dolby digital. I only get pro logic movie ll, pro logic music ll, stereo, and stereo x2, which results in a loss of audio quality.

Is it b/c the hdtv interferes somehow with the audio and if so, is there a switch or reciever or something I can use that will decode the audio properly so that I don't lose any audio quality.


Is there a good priced hdmi audio/video splitter out that would not down sample the audio or video when running the optical cable to the Z-5500s and the hdmi to the hdtv?
post #26 of 29
This sku which you are asking is available in many online store, do check amazon and ebay
post #27 of 29
I have exactly the same problem. I have a Pioneer Universal DVD player with HDMI and Analog outputs. If I connect it to my receiver via HDMI (Sony) and turn on my projector I get Audio from a DVD-A or DTS CD. However if I switch off the projector or just set my VP to another input I lose the audio in about three seconds with a flashing blue light on the player that tells me there is a HDMI connection problem. Now I use the Analog outputs and coaxial outputs for listening to music disks so it is not a problem but what if I buy an DVD player and want to use the HDMI for all audio to my receiver? I placed the same comment in the HDMI section with no response. I haven't seen a true video/audio splitter box. I have only seen splitters that are really intended to drive mulitple displays and I am pretty sure one would run into the same problem. Another rising issue there are many BD disks of concerts that I might want to watch once but listen to just the audio only. I even heard rumors that the new audio format was going to be BD. The only problem is there is no easy way to play the disk without a video display connected. I didn't have a problem with my OPPO HD981 with HDMI audio but wonder how many universal DVD/BD players will output sound only via HDMI with no video.
post #28 of 29
I must say that when I have tried to split the HDMI signal from a single source to multiple displays it invariably doesn't work - or doesn't work consistently. Either I get picture dropouts, or picture flashing, so I've given up.
post #29 of 29
Does the audio output have to be HDMI for digital audio or can it be Toslink?
What you are looking for is called an Audio Extractor. I have seen similar products that extract the audio but none so far that will do it through HDMI audio only yet just toslink
LINDY makes one but it splits to HDMI and Analog or Digital audio through RCA or Toslink.
http://www.lindy-usa.com/hdmi-audio-extractor-38090.html
It is HDMI 1.3b. HDCP 1.2 and DVI 1.0 compliant and supports 1080p.
Digital Audio supports HBR Audio for PCM2, Dolby 5.1, and DTS 5.1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Processors › HDMI audio/video splitter????