or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tip your delivery guy?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hi all. I am getting curbside delivery from Old Dominion Freight tomorrow for my new Berklines! (Thanks Roman)

Wondering something- with curbside delivery is it necessary to tip? I would definitely tip with white glove but if they just drop the chairs outside should I still give them something? I know tipping is subjective, but would like to know what others have done.
post #2 of 16
I had my Berkline delivered by Old Dominion last month. I had to help lift the chair (in the box) off the truck. I offered my hand-truck but he had one. We had to open the box to get the chair through the door. He had me sign the delivery receipt and said "have a good one" before I could even think about tipping the guy.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just be willing to help out if you can. Those chair boxes are big and my guy didn't have a Tommy-lift on his tractor trailer.
post #3 of 16
Sonnyboy,

It is up to you. Some of the delivery guys are very nice, and I have reports from the customers, that they even helped bringing the furniture into the house, although they are not supposed to do so due to liability issues. Some of the guys do not care much and are rushing out as SDMF mentioned.

You do not have to tip the driver if you do not want to, but if you see that the guy is trying to be helpful, I would give him something as a gratitude.
post #4 of 16
Yes unless your a conservative.
post #5 of 16
I'm not sure what this really means, but if you were trying to be somewhat serious, maybe this might change your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olevia37HD View Post

Yes unless your a conservative.
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschl View Post

I'm not sure what this really means, but if you were trying to be somewhat serious, maybe this might change your mind.

You ask most people who work with the public and you will find a higher percent of the "have nots" tip. Not like the ones with a sliver spoon stuck somewhere!!!!
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnyboy View Post

Hi all. I am getting curbside delivery from Old Dominion Freight tomorrow for my new Berklines! (Thanks Roman)

Wondering something- with curbside delivery is it necessary to tip? I would definitely tip with white glove but if they just drop the chairs outside should I still give them something? I know tipping is subjective, but would like to know what others have done.

I've had several large curbside deliveries. Understand that curbside means you have to get it off of the truck. The drivers I've encountered are very nice & helpful. Since I went with curbside I had plans for friends to be there to help get it off of the truck. With my last shipment, the shipping company didn't call to schedule the delivery and they arrived a week earlier than expected. I was going to tip the driver if he was willing to help lower them to the ground, but my neighbor was home to help.

Something I need to remember to do myself...if you don't give a tip and your driver was friendly and helpful like mine, call the shipping company and compliment the driver. They may appreciate that the same if not more.
post #8 of 16
Well, I haven't had curbside delivery, for furniture, so I'm not really sure how that differs. My only deliveries where I wouldn't tip are things like UPS/FedEx where they just drop it at the door. When I've had furniture or electronics delivered to my house, not setup just delivered, I've always tipped. Mind you, I don't go out to the truck to help unload the stuff, that's why I'm getting delivery. Consequently, as long as they don't break anything in the house, I always tip. It is hard work, and they do deserve a little something.

As Neuner mentioned, at least give their boss compliments to the service. That kind of stuff looks really good for the employees, and can go a long way.

Just a few thoughts...

-Jeff
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olevia37HD View Post

You ask most people who work with the public and you will find a higher percent of the have nots tip. Not like the ones with a sliver spoon stuck somewhere!!!!

That's horse 'nure and so is the theory that all conservatives are well off. End of discussion. This thread is about tipping guys.

My opinion to your question is if all they did was unload it on your curb, nope. If it was white glove I'd offer them something.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savedsol View Post

That's horse 'nure and so is the theory that all conservatives are well off. End of discussion. This thread is about tipping guys.

My opinion to your question is if all they did was unload it on your curb, nope. If it was white glove I'd offer them something.

At least a bottle of water on a hot day. I did installs and services work (on houses price from 350 thousand to well over a mill and a half) for a good number of years and I was the most tip along with the largest tiped. I can tell you some rich people couldn't even give me a bottle of water on a hot day, when I was working on there roof.
God I hope there roof leaked.
post #11 of 16
Always tip. Remember, these guys know what you have in your home and they will tip their buddies who may be looking to rob you.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones View Post

Always tip. Remember, these guys know what you have in your home and they will tip their buddies who may be looking to rob you.

lmao, This thread just got st00pid!
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post

lmao, This thread just got st00pid!

Live and learn... LOL LOL
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones View Post

Always tip. Remember, these guys know what you have in your home and they will tip their buddies who may be looking to rob you.

We got your IP address so you better look out.
post #15 of 16
Tipping is getting out of hand.

Your "supposed" to tip this guy, and that gal, and this guy, blah, blah, blah.

If they don't want to work in a profession/job where they need tips, get another job.

Do you send tips to the guy at the car factory that took pride/care in making your car? NO. Do you send tips to the guy that assembled your $4k LCD projector with precision and care? NO.

Just my .02 cents.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olevia37HD View Post

We got your IP address so you better look out.

Talk about stupid.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home