Originally Posted by ManicMiner
I hope Ron, Ed or Tom will chime in to tell as more about the new Ultra, I have a TON of questions : )
-Why the switch to FF?
-New amp technology?
1) Elimination of the base plate allowed a substantial increase in interior enclosure volume, which improves output/efficiency at the deepest frequencies.
2) Porting is triple 3.5" (about 15% more port area than dual 4") in the native 20 Hz tune, with 15 Hz, 10 Hz, and sealed tuning options.
3) The single driver Ultra products will feature BASH amps (power range is still being tweaked but expect anywhere 750-950 watts) with:
- RCA I/O with bypassable high pass for daisy-chaining
- XLR I/O with bypassable high pass for daisy-chaining
- variable low pass filter with bypass
- variable phase
- variable tuning switch (20/15/10/sealed)
- room gain compensation control
4) Ultra-13 Woofer Features:
High-temp, flat-wire 3 US aluminum voice coil
Polyimide impregnated fiberglass former
Nickel-plated 1008 low-carbon steel motor components
Copper Faraday ring for enhanced frequency response
13.5 Foam-core/glass composite cone (Polymethacrylimide)
High-excursion parabolic SBR Surround, w/integrated top gasket
Dual linear 9 Spiders, w/integrated lead wires
Exclusive high-strength aluminum die-cast frame
Chrome plated, spring-lock power terminals
Low distortion, FEA optimized motor assembly
Dual stack select grade ferrite magnets (Y-35)
5) Prices - TBD.