or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › HD DVD fans: why do you remain exclusive?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HD DVD fans: why do you remain exclusive?  

post #1 of 69
Thread Starter 
I'm curious for the folks who remain exclusive to HD DVD. This does not apply to folks who are currently exclusive but plan on getting BD or have not gotten BD due to budgetary reasons(though this point is also pertinent). Here's my situation:

1) I could have gotten nice BDP, but opted for a Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" 2weeks ago and am going to purchase a 60in SXRD as soon as my 32in Samsung LNS-3251d is sold. I also have a 46in 1080 Bravia. I was going to spend this cash on the Pio BDP and some good titles. I opted out.

2) I had a bad experience w/ the Samsung BDP in June, and returned it - I'm still stuck w/ 4 inferior titles - T1, T2 and TFE - Underworld I'll keep though.

3) I'm simply not that desperate for most of the BD exclusive titles save for just a few, many of which I have on my HDDVR.

4) HD DVD has been more consistent and straightfoward with their releases and marketing tactics. After seeing all BD was doing in the name of catching up, I became more disgusted w/ the BDA and this has bolstered my loyalty to HD DVD.

5) I feel that I can wait this out and also that god forbid if the BDA does win the 'war', I'd just simply plop down for a ~$300 BDP at that point and purchase BD titles then.

6) I'm very tempted to just go for a $200 360 Addon for the gaming center in my gaming setup wich uses the LCD. It's just so sensible and convenient. I have an HD-A1 but will want to upgrade to the Add-on or the XA2 or the $599 new Tosh HD DVD player. I am in no way planning for any BDP including the ps3 which I will see myself purchasing in maybe '08 when killer apps do come out - if their not usurped first by Microsoft
post #2 of 69
There are currently only 10-12 BD titles I would want, and I have most of these in HD already. He-he. There are a number of titles announced for 2007 I am interested in, but the price of the discs and hardware is too much and I have been really happy with my A2's and HD DVD PQ. Time will tell. No plans of buying a BD machine anytime soon.
post #3 of 69
I got into HD DVD for a scant $160 in hardware and titles typically are around $18. Give me a BR player under $300 and the pricing and quality of HD DVD software and I'll go dual format. Until BR can do that I'll be very hesitant to go in that direction.
post #4 of 69
Owning a PS3 and HD A1, I'm format neutral but I have 25 HD DVD titles to 2 BR titles. Why? Simply put I wanted the titles available on HD DVD and the early releases of BR which left much to be desired are ones that I did want.

Going forward, if the PQ is good and it's a movie I want, I have no problem purchasing 25BR titles and only 2 HD DVD titles, if it turns out that way.
post #5 of 69
If it ain't broke don't fix it. I love my HD DVD player and there is ZERO reason to look elsewhere, in all actuality there isn't a single Blu-ray disk coming out that I "NEED" they are releasing mostly movies that I want, but don't need, Who needs, DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR? anyway???

Warner, Parmount, Universal, Weinstein and BanDai are all releasing OVER 300 movies this year on HD DVD alone, that is roughly $8,000-$12,000 depending on cost of disks.

Now I don't know about you all but that right there is pretty dang steep for any level of love, HD DVD will do in MORE than a pinch!!
post #6 of 69
Simple: Quality.

Quality of picture/sound, quality of extras, quality of the films themselves.

There are VERY few BD titles at this point meet these 3 criteria for me. The Terminator is a great flick, but looks mediocre and has no extras. Ditto for Rocky. And others.

There's literally only about 3-4 titles at this point that I would buy. Probably more in 2007, but I also suspect that some of the ones that are tempting me today will turn out to be disappointing in reality.


I've got no reason to NOT buy blu-ray at this point, except that there's very few software titles that I'd buy. When/if that changes, I'm onboard (although I'd prefer a single format). But right now, there's no logical reason to shell out $$$ for a new machine and additional format. For the few titles that I want that are BD-exclusive, I'll live with upconverted standard DVDs for now.
post #7 of 69
I was able to get into the HD-disc formats for $160 in hardware(360 addon) after a coupon at CC. I was more than pleased with the image quality compared to what I had seen of early BR demo's. And like a previous poster, If BR can produce a decent priced piece of hardware, I'll look into it as well. Unless of course some of the other studios go neutral. Then I'll stick it out even longer
post #8 of 69
I made a decision before this whole war to purchase one format only. I bought into HD DVD because it was cheap. The movies delivered.

I initially bought the Samsung BD player and was very disappointed in it. Since then I purchased a PS3, but will only rent BD movies. I support HD DVD with my money, but still use BD because I want to see all possible movies in HD.
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmas View Post

That is what this is all about. Many here on the AVS site bought into HD DVD being enthusiasts, and they are now upset at the writing on the wall. They scream all studios should be neutral, blah, blah, blah. Sometimes there are chances associated with being an early adopter. HD DVD won't die this year, but it will be the beginning of the end if the BDA companies stick to their guns.

Actually this is probably the truth about AVS isn't it? This is why this site has so many fanatic HD-DVD owners. Personal pride has gotten involved.

But really, most people here come from a higher than average income demographic so why not just pick up a PS3 for $499 and go format neutral?

I really believe that at this point the writing is on the wall. HD-DVD will die a slow drawn out death, but will never never get movies from Disney, Fox, or Sony.

I mean come on, who doesn't want the Bond movies on Blu-ray? Or Disney and Pixar flicks for the kids?
post #10 of 69
Strategy #1:

1. Buy HD-A1 now for $400 ----I get most of the movies I want over the next 2-3 years.
2. Will buy a Blu-Ray/Universal player in a few years for around $200 if that format survives.

Total cost $400 + $200 = $600 (Drawback: Not all movies I want are HD DVD exclusive)

Stategy #2:

1. Buy a Blu-Ray player now for $1000 plus -----I get most of the movies I want over the next 2-3 years
2. Buy a HD-DVD player/Universal player in a few years for $200 if that format survives.

Total cost $1000 + $200 = $1200 (Drawback: Not all movies I want are Blu-Ray exclusive)

See where I'm getting at....strategy #1 costs half as much and I get the same enjoyment of HD movies. They both have drawbacks and sure more studios support blu-ray for now, but at half the cost I can find plenty of HD-DVD movies to spend that extra $600 I'm saving by going with strategy #1.
Another point: Many of the Blu-Ray exclusives can be had with foreign imports which makes studio support a moot point.
post #11 of 69
BR is simply too expensive when you compare.
post #12 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

Actually this is probably the truth about AVS isn't it? This is why this site has so many fanatic HD-DVD owners. Personal pride has gotten involved.

I think it has more to do with common sense - why spend so much money to get the same PQ, etc??


Quote:


But really, most people here come from a higher than average income demographic so why not just pick up a PS3 for $499 and go format neutral? ?

The PS3 just does not qualify for most people. It doesn't fit right with standard components, lacks a remote, lacks upconversion. Ugh. I would like to go format neutral for those movies on BD that I would like, but at the current prices for standalone players (that are not all that great) - forget it.


Quote:


I really believe that at this point the writing is on the wall. HD-DVD will die a slow drawn out death, but will never never get movies from Disney, Fox, or Sony.?

Fine. Disney and Sony can kiss my arse for all I really care anyway.

Quote:


I mean come on, who doesn't want the Bond movies on Blu-ray? Or Disney and Pixar flicks for the kids?

Only really care to see Casino Royale really. As far as the Disney movies - I have purged ALL of them from my HT - the kids can watch them on the 42" plasma that they inherited when I went to a FP setup - that is plenty good enough for them. For the few times I might want to see one or have them watch them on the FP - they can watch the upconverted SD version.
post #13 of 69
I chose HD DVD over BD because it was "here and now" when BD wasn't. Both formats are about equal in my estimation, so quality wasn't an issue. HD DVD was available when BD wasn't, and I wasn't going to stand around waiting for a product that wasn't any better than the one I had.

But for those same reasons, I'll be getting a BD player soon. There are some movies that I want that aren't out on HD DVD now, and I don't want to wait around hoping HD DVD will pick up a studio here or there.
post #14 of 69
Well I got in because of the add-on(christmas present). Had it not been for that then I would have probabaly still went with a HD standalone. Reasons?

Im really not a fan of the stuff that Sony has pulled this entire generation. This has been the first console battle that I have followed closely and have done my part to help MS succeed.

Im also not of fan of how the Hollywood studios are BD exclusive. Why not let the consumer decide. I hope that the people that are responsible for blindly following Sony will get the boot if BD fails.

For everytime I say Wow when I look at the BD list, I can say the same for movies on the HD-Dvd list. Sure there are plenty of movies for Blu-ray that I would like to have but alot of those I already own on Dvd. And believe me HD movies are great and all but alot of the people I show HD movies to are not really blown away. So I dont think it is as big of a deal like some are making it out to be.
post #15 of 69
It only cost me $160 to get an HD-DVD player as I already owned a 360 from 2005 for gaming. There's no way I'm plopping down $500-$600 to get a PS3 for movies, and I've never been interested in the PS# line of consoles for gaming.

Video from an HD-DVD or a Blue-ray disk are both high definition, and most consumers want a cheaper price, so they'll get HD-DVD players. Simple as that. It won't matter what storage capacity, what codec for audio or video, or any of the other 'specs', it'll matter as to how much $$ comes out of their pocket.
post #16 of 69
I refuse to pay two to three more times the $$$$ for a product that :

1.failed to delive on its promises and delivered crap PQ and is now playing catch-up

2.hardware that is currently lacking in features like interactivity and audio codecs (True HD, DD+)

3.Software whos quality at best matches HD-DVD but costs more on average.

4.There are still a few titles for me to pick up (a lot more if there is an exodus of HD-DVD owners)

I really dont care about having disks from a 'lost' format. Hell, I am still buying SACDs and DVD-A and those formats have been declared dead for some time now. I do have a problem with a technology that so far has NOT proven to be superior in any way shape or form but costs more only because of available content.
If and when stand alone players are cheaper (Blutooth is useless with my system and my harmony remote) and have complete specs and audio codecs, interactivity and playback all titles from the Blu-Ray format and those titles look as good as what I see on HD-DVD then I will consider it. Oh and I have sold most of my DVDs in anticipation of HD-DVD so the way I see it Its better to be stuck with high quality HD-DVDs than mediocre DVDs.
post #17 of 69
This is a really good question. I just finished my Theater Room and I was looking at getting a standard DVD upconverting player and waiting for the format war to settle down. As it turns out I got a smoking deal on the HD-A1 so I bought it for only a little bit over what a standard upconverting player would cost. At the time I was just going to watch standard DVD's with the player but since I could now also watch HD-DVD's I started to buy some of those too. The upconversion is so good on this player that I am not planning on double dipping on any titles. I can see the difference between the SD and HD versions but I am not so picky that I "must" double/triple/etc dip. An added bonus of the A1 is the analog outputs for the high resolution audio.

So there ya go. At this point it would take one heck of a sub $250 Blu-Ray player to make me switch. I have not seen any must have movies that I would need in HD as opposed to upconverted SD to make me worry about studio support at this point.

Laters,
Jeff

PS - I agree about the bluetooth remote comment...totally worthless to me. Must have IR remote control.
post #18 of 69
HD DVD is the only option for me because of business reasons ... corporate (Sony) and studio (Disney & Fox) "trust" factors...at least "trust" factors for me.

If Blu-ray wins, which I will admit is still a possibility (but I do not consider it a probability or foregone conclusion by any means as some would try and propagandize)...then I will go without HD disc. I have decided it is HD DVD for me or nothing. That is why I put my consumer vote ($'s) toward the HD DVD format and am not sitting this war out. If Blu-ray wins and several years pass allowing these organizations time to regain my trust, I could reconsider...but that will take quite a few years.

I will not expand because of people who do not understand and consider that kind of analysis and reasoning FUD...but that remains my answer and reasoning, just the same.
post #19 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post

Strategy #1:

1. Buy HD-A1 now for $400 ----I get most of the movies I want over the next 2-3 years.
2. Will buy a Blu-Ray/Universal player in a few years for around $200 if that format survives.

Total cost $400 + $200 = $600 (Drawback: Not all movies I want are HD DVD exclusive)

Stategy #2:

1. Buy a Blu-Ray player now for $1000 plus -----I get most of the movies I want over the next 2-3 years
2. Buy a HD-DVD player/Universal player in a few years for $200 if that format survives.

Total cost $1000 + $200 = $1200 (Drawback: Not all movies I want are Blu-Ray exclusive)

See where I'm getting at....strategy #1 costs half as much and I get the same enjoyment of HD movies. They both have drawbacks and sure more studios support blu-ray for now, but at half the cost I can find plenty of HD-DVD movies to spend that extra $600 I'm saving by going with strategy #1.
Another point: Many of the Blu-Ray exclusives can be had with foreign imports which makes studio support a moot point.

that's what I was thinking? Little Man? no, thanks.
post #20 of 69
The unfair war between HD DVD and BD could already be over with HD DVD as the clear winner, if there was fair studio neutrality.

Equal software/studio support equals death for BD.

Personally I am happy with HD DVD. I will never ever get a BD system, because for me it's the system of greed and excessive DRM. BD let's you pay, but takes over total control of your equipment. For me a NO GO.

I rather spent the 1k for a like new Pioneer LD-S9 LaserDisc player for my cherished LD collection.
post #21 of 69
Mainly it's the cost of players, but I have to admit it's the arrogance of Sony and Fox who like to tell me how I'm supposed to think.
post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-DVDwonder View Post

I'm curious for the folks who remain exclusive to HD DVD. This does not apply to folks who are currently exclusive but plan on getting BD or have not gotten BD due to budgetary reasons(though this point is also pertinent). Here's my situation:

1) I could have gotten nice BDP, but opted for a Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" 2weeks ago and am going to purchase a 60in SXRD as soon as my 32in Samsung LNS-3251d is sold. I also have a 46in 1080 Bravia. I was going to spend this cash on the Pio BDP and some good titles. I opted out.

2) I had a bad experience w/ the Samsung BDP in June, and returned it - I'm still stuck w/ 4 inferior titles - T1, T2 and TFE - Underworld I'll keep though.

3) I'm simply not that desperate for most of the BD exclusive titles save for just a few, many of which I have on my HDDVR.

4) HD DVD has been more consistent and straightfoward with their releases and marketing tactics. After seeing all BD was doing in the name of catching up, I became more disgusted w/ the BDA and this has bolstered my loyalty to HD DVD.

5) I feel that I can wait this out and also that god forbid if the BDA does win the 'war', I'd just simply plop down for a ~$300 BDP at that point and purchase BD titles then.

6) I'm very tempted to just go for a $200 360 Addon for the gaming center in my gaming setup wich uses the LCD. It's just so sensible and convenient. I have an HD-A1 but will want to upgrade to the Add-on or the XA2 or the $599 new Tosh HD DVD player. I am in no way planning for any BDP including the ps3 which I will see myself purchasing in maybe '08 when killer apps do come out - if their not usurped first by Microsoft

You've summarised my feelings exactly in every respect. If BD wins (which I hope it does not) I'll pop out and buy a BD player, and by the time that that happens (because I'm now convinced that HD-DVD is not going to die a quick death - if it dies at all!) I'm sure a BD player will be a cheap enough addition. Either way I still have my HD-DVD player to play my collection on. Alternatively I sell the HD-DVD player and or simply buy a dual format player which also should be a lot cheaper when and if such a decision is necessary. In the short term I refuse to go BD exactly for reasons 1-4. In any case there are enough new HD-DVD releases to bust my wallet every month as is!
post #23 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphiac View Post

I have decided it is HD DVD for me or nothing. That is why I put my consumer vote ($'s) toward the HD DVD format and am not sitting this war out. If Blu-ray wins and several years pass allowing these organizations time to regain my trust, I could reconsider...but that will take quite a few years.

Good post.
Im leaning the same way,if Hd-dvd loses I will be more than contempt with my hd-dvd library. By that time I will probably own about 50+ HD movies. As soon as I get over my negative christmas wallet I will start to contribute to the HD side and try to convince family and friends the same.
post #24 of 69
Combo discs, I like em'.
Too expensive for the players.
I already had a 360 and I won't buy a PS3 because the 360 does everything I want it to do.
Final reason, I have 2 Minidiscs players/recorders and an SACD player collecting dust, thanks Sony. I'm not going to spend $800 on a format that may die, granted, Hd-DVD may die too, but at least I only spent $200 for it.
post #25 of 69
Like others have said, HD-DVD was out first, was very affordable for a new format, and had great quality. It was a no-brainer! When BD debuted to very poor reviews, the decision was reaffirmed. Especially since their first player was $1000 and was reviewed as inferior to the A1.

Now Blu-Ray has improved in many areas to near-HDDVD quality -- but who cares? A day late & a dollar short, as they say. How do I justify buying another player for the idiodit, greedy studios who refuse to release for the format I own? I understood there existed a risk in early adoption (for either side), and I knew that Sony releases would be many moons before seeing HD-DVD. However, I see no reason why Disney & Fox (with MGM) STILL refuse to release titles on HD-DVD. The format has sold significantly better than Blu-Ray for over 6 months -- plus the recent hardware sales couldn't look worse for BD as a format, with only the PS3 showing any significant sales. For them to snub HD-DVD, with these numbers, proves that their main objective is NOT sales, but is actually an attempt to undermine any success that HD-DVD has by intentionally holding out its product despite the obvious market.

As a consumer, I WON'T be bullied by Mike Dunn & Bob Chapek into buying an over-priced format that I don't need in order to have access to their movies. I've played this game for a long time with many different formats, and I've re-purchased the same titles again and again. But this time, I will NEVER buy into Blu-Ray -- and their tactics have had the exact opposite effect on me than they've intended. How this whole scenario doesn't enter into the "antitrust" arena is mind-boggling (what ever happened to that antitrust investigation in Europe?). Consumers should be allowed a choice and a level playing field for content. If Blu-Ray is, in fact, a superior format that is worth the extra money that they propose, then why can't it flourish on its own merit without resorting to strong-arming their potential customers?

I am with HD-DVD to the very end. I have HD on Dishnet through HBO, Showtime, Movie Channels, HDNet Movies, Monsters HD, World Cinema HD, Film Fest HD, plus 105 (and counting) HD-DVD's for my HD viewing pleasure. When Disney, Fox and LG want my busines, they will know where to find it!
post #26 of 69
1. Price
2. Features (interactivity & advanced audio)
3. I prefer the Universal Studios catalogue to the Sony/Fox catalogue
4. HD seems more committed to SD upconversion (I have 1500+ SD titles)
5. Price
post #27 of 69
I echo many of the comments made. I own the HD-A1 and have loved it so far. The thing that got me to even consider a high definition was player was that I was shopping for a decent upconverting dvd-player.

At the time (about 4-5 months ago) I had just bought the Panny AE900, mainly for my Xbox 360. I wasn't impressed how my DVD collection was looking blown-up on a 106inch screen. Basically I was looking at buying the $200 Oppo, since it had good reviews. I ended up being sold on the A1 because for $200 more I could have HD content along with a excellent upconverting player. It was easy.

As others have said, price is a big point. If a BD player comes out that is under $400, I might buy one in a year or so. Under $300, even better and more likely. Also it has to be a player that has all the specs and will allow me to play any BD movie. The quality needs to be there on the movies as well. I also don't like Sony's ethics as can be referenced by many of the BD fanboys on this forum which also sours me towards the format.
post #28 of 69
Quote:
I got into HD DVD for a scant $160 in hardware and titles typically are around $18. Give me a BR player under $300 and the pricing and quality of HD DVD software and I'll go dual format. Until BR can do that I'll be very hesitant to go in that direction.

Quoted for Truth. I can name about 10 people (including me) who this is the case for.
post #29 of 69
I'd say.

Price of player at time. (A1 $399 closeout)

liked a lot of the universal movies as well as some of the WB, hd was the way to go
post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronken View Post

It only cost me $160 to get an HD-DVD player as I already owned a 360 from 2005 for gaming. There's no way I'm plopping down $500-$600 to get a PS3 for movies, and I've never been interested in the PS# line of consoles for gaming.

Video from an HD-DVD or a Blue-ray disk are both high definition, and most consumers want a cheaper price, so they'll get HD-DVD players. Simple as that. It won't matter what storage capacity, what codec for audio or video, or any of the other 'specs', it'll matter as to how much $$ comes out of their pocket.

I'm a 360 owner too, but the lack of lossless audio has prevented me from buying the add on. Why settle for less?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › HD DVD fans: why do you remain exclusive?