or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Ruby/Pearl Owners: Ready to Jump to JVC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ruby/Pearl Owners: Ready to Jump to JVC?

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 
The title says it all
post #2 of 64
What about Qualia owners?
post #3 of 64
No. I will keep my Ruby.
post #4 of 64
Nope. Too much money for not enough performance increase. I have decided to spend additional money on other hobbies and will only upgrade projectors every 18 months.
post #5 of 64
You should at least get one for the bedroom, Mike
post #6 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post

You should at least get one for the bedroom, Mike

You go first!
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

You go first!

I did , two of them.
post #8 of 64
Hell yeah. I was ready when I saw those low APL contrast numbers in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Unfortunately, I can't afford it right now. I still need to pay off the rest of the theater.

I'll probably end up upgrading in 2 or 3 years, and hopefully by then we'll have some crazy cool digital with 30k:1 native contrast with no DI.
post #9 of 64
I'll be doing a side by side with the RS1 and Ruby and deciding next steps. Likely I'll be selling the Ruby.
post #10 of 64
I'll wait for a half way decent priced three chip DLP with >2000 lumens and anamorphic lens.
post #11 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post

I did , two of them.

TRAITOR! Wait until the PLV-70 fanbois find out.
post #12 of 64
I "pre-bought" because of the AVS pre-buy price and second-guessing myself, wondering if I had simply done an inadequate viewing of the HD-New at the CEDIA JVC demo. There, I wasn't all that impressed with its black level compared with the Pearl and thought it was very similar otherwise. Now I am especially curious after all the fabulous CES reports how the two will compare directly in my HT.

Dan
post #13 of 64
Jumped ship a month ago, sold my Ruby. I am using an older projector (ae900) to hold me over until the mighty RS1 arrives. I sold my Ruby for more than I am paying for the RS1 - "no brainer" decision IMHO.
post #14 of 64
I figure the price for a used RS1 will be below $3k shortly after the next Cedia and I will pick up one for my bathroom then. Its a large bathroom, the acoustics suck, and the room is light, highly reflective, and almost entirely non light controlled. I need the highest CR I can get.
post #15 of 64
Quote:
I'll be doing a side by side with the RS1 and Ruby and deciding next steps. Likely I'll be selling the Ruby.

Same here. I already own a Ruby and will be the first to get a RS-1 from AVS. I will perform some thorough, extended comparisons in my main theater. The winner stays there and the loser goes in the bedroom system.
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I figure the price for a used RS1 will be below $3k shortly after the next Cedia and I will pick up one for my bathroom then. Its a large bathroom, the acoustics suck, and the room is light, highly reflective, and almost entirely non light controlled. I need the highest CR I can get.

Mark,

You'll need Stewart's new high gain bathroom screen that rejects ambient light, steam and fouls smells. You'll have to have a get together once your bathroom is done..
post #17 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

The title says it all



http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&page=4&pp=30

Post No. 119:

"5. We did compare the Pearl side by side with the RS1 at night after the show closed...this was the first time I personally got to see the two units side by side and I will say that after considerable tweaking on the Pearl, the color and overall picture quality on the two was such that you might have thought you were looking at two RS1's or two Pearl's...this on a variety of medium to high APL scenes. With a total fade to black or a very dark starfield, the RS1 was noticeably blacker in any Iris mode and certainly as bright in a bright scene. The observations were made strictly using HDDVD source material, we didn't evaluate SD scaling or other factors, just colorimetry, brightness, black level and sharpness. There did seem to be a little bit of color non-uniformity showing up at the corners, but it was very minimal."

Cheers,

__________________
Tom Stites
"Speaking only for myself...."
post #18 of 64
No. I'm enjoying my Ruby and resisting the upgrade bug. Like the Ruby experienced, I'm waiting for the initial CES excitement to die down and the knives to come out. After these hit the streets the AVS crew will find flaws to post about ad nauseum. Then maybe I'll jump in on the next generation a few years from now....
post #19 of 64
Sold my Ruby and bought a Marantz 11-S1, JVC RS1 will reside in the theater along with the Marantz, the Marantz isnt going anywhere so dont even ask
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by drapp1952 View Post

I "pre-bought" because of the AVS pre-buy price and second-guessing myself, wondering if I had simply done an inadequate viewing of the HD-New at the CEDIA JVC demo. There, I wasn't all that impressed with its black level compared with the Pearl and thought it was very similar otherwise. Now I am especially curious after all the fabulous CES reports how the two will compare directly in my HT.

Dan

I felt the same way. I had a few of my own HDDVDs with me and had seen them on a few projectors including a three chip DLD a Ruby and G90 right before. At least at that demo it just didn't look that great and there it just looked like it didn't have enough light to have punch. It sounds like it is a vastly better device than that demo showed me.

Art
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

The title says it all

Why? When CEDIA 2007 hits in just a short 8 months (spring/summer goes by much faster than fall/winter) there will be something much better most likely at a lower price point (how do I know this...history tells us so). I saw the JVC at CEDIA 2006, it was not much different than the Pearl IMO.
post #22 of 64
Quote:


Originally Posted by mark haflich
I figure the price for a used RS1 will be below $3k shortly after the next Cedia and I will pick up one for my bathroom then. Its a large bathroom, the acoustics suck, and the room is light, highly reflective, and almost entirely non light controlled. I need the highest CR I can get.

Might do better with the new and improved Optoma or something more of a light cannon then the RS1. Youre gonna need some lumens in there to overcome all that ambient light and more importantly all of that hot air.

Of course you wont be able to get those for $3k in a year, but maybe you could the Qualia 004. 8)

Quote:


Sold my Ruby and bought a Marantz 11-S1, JVC RS1 will reside in the theater along with the Marantz, the Marantz isnt going anywhere so dont even ask

The man married up BIG TIME. 8) And he is almost as good in making deals for his theater as he is in marrying up. 8)

Thanks for calling me to remind me to give Jason a call on the pre-buy, Wayne. 8) Im on the pre-buy list right behind you and cant wait for my new PJ.

Talking to him about a 2.35 setup and install and calibration, too. Though if vertical stretch isnt in the plans for a firmware upgrade might have to go with a larger 16:9 instead. Im gonna be needing to pick your brain. Give me a call in the AM when you get up and on the road, im gonna be heading out of town on the road tomorrow very early in the morning.
post #23 of 64
I ordered the "Pearl" today from Jason Turk. The money saved by not getting the JVC will go towards my dream of a 2.35 CIH setup. By the way, Jason is great to deal with and a heck of a nice guy. If I need something and he sells it, I will ALWAYS buy from him.

Tom
post #24 of 64
Oh look another semi-troll thread..... LOL Next year it will be the Diamond and the RS-2...... Geez dude give it up... LOL There better be an improvement it is a new Projector, HELLO!!! If I changed my PJ every year just because some halfwit post some thing like this I would expend my kids college fund.... Oh, sorry my answer is no! My last JVC when through more bulbs then Home Depot. jk!!!

funlvr1965: Hey I am in your neck of the woods, acutally same city!! Love to see it in action at least, I for need to see a product regardless of what some review or some one else says...
post #25 of 64
I got in on the pre-buy, back when we thought it would do the 2.35 stretch. Without that, I am not sure it is worth it to me. I will probably just stay with the Pearl. But you never know until it is really time to decide...

Doug
post #26 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

Jumped ship a month ago, sold my Ruby. I am using an older projector (ae900) to hold me over until the mighty RS1 arrives. I sold my Ruby for more than I am paying for the RS1 - "no brainer" decision IMHO.


Same here, as of a couple months ago.

I've been back with my Sharp 10K and amazed to see how it easily beats the Ruby with certain types of scenes. Don't get me wrong - my Ruby blows away the 10K of course. But going back to the 10K made me realize how much the Ruby's DI was taking away from my image due to its dynamic range compression. This is the thing I am excited the most about for the RS1.

Sounds like I will have about the same blacks (perhaps blacker and definitely blacker on fade to black) with about 2.5 - 3.0 times the CR of the Ruby. I'm also excited about the better optics and sharpness people have been reporting about on the RS1 as I always felt my Ruby was a bit soft. I think the RS1 will certainly have acceptable fan noise, but the one thing for sure I'll miss about the Ruby is its whisper quiet fan - have to hand it to Sony on that one. I won't however miss the home-made heat baffle I had to put together to keep the hot air from recycling back into the Ruby...
post #27 of 64
I have no intention of upgrading my Pearl. It's plenty bright and black levels are fantastic. I am very happy with it.

I really just want to enjoy the theater now, and not hang, calibrate, and tweak another projector. Now to focus on source materials.
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&page=4&pp=30

Post No. 119:

"5. We did compare the Pearl side by side with the RS1 at night after the show closed...this was the first time I personally got to see the two units side by side and I will say that after considerable tweaking on the Pearl, the color and overall picture quality on the two was such that you might have thought you were looking at two RS1's or two Pearl's...this on a variety of medium to high APL scenes. With a total fade to black or a very dark starfield, the RS1 was noticeably blacker in any Iris mode and certainly as bright in a bright scene. The observations were made strictly using HDDVD source material, we didn't evaluate SD scaling or other factors, just colorimetry, brightness, black level and sharpness. There did seem to be a little bit of color non-uniformity showing up at the corners, but it was very minimal."

Cheers,

__________________
Tom Stites
"Speaking only for myself...."

You forgot the part about the Pearl being uncalibrated and just out of the box.
So we are suppose to accept that and take it lying down?

I just switched from an Optoma Graywolf to a Da-lite High Power. The Sony Pearl doesn't need any improvement on blacks from a gray screen.

So JVC can take their little controlled display and do as they desire. I'm plenty thrilled with the Pearl.
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I'm also excited about the better optics and sharpness people have been reporting about on the RS1 as I always felt my Ruby was a bit soft.

You mentioned in another post you do not have HDDVD yet. Maybe that's why your Ruby looks soft because you are looking at HD lite broadcast and no quality HDdvd or Bluray? If you had viewed your Ruby extensively with quality material like Seabiscuit, Corpse Bride, 2 Fast 2 Furious HDdvd, I don't think you'll keep saying that it is soft.

I've not seen the RS1 yet, but IMO, I believe the RS1 would be a mini Meridian MF1 with real blacks and that's saying alot sight unseen. I've logged some good hours with the MF1 using my VP50 and have compared it with my Ruby (not side by side)and sure the MF1 is sharp, deep vibrant colors to even golden skin colors, but the Ruby fairs very well with this premium unit. Really, I'm not saying this because of pride of ownership of a Ruby. All you need to do is feed the Ruby very good material or feed that hard to find top notch braodcast video and use a good scaler if you can and you will see the Ruby can shine. The Meridian is better but not a night and day difference, thats why I'm not willing to get another projector which will only yield small improvements from what I see from the MF1. I also have an Nec xg110 that is not hooked now and with the Ruby at #42=140 and #44=700, it can hang with the Nec xg. So is the RS1 blacks better than the NEC xg?
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Tan View Post

You mentioned in another post you do not have HDDVD yet. Maybe that's why your Ruby looks soft because you are looking at HD lite broadcast and no quality HDdvd or Bluray? If you had viewed your Ruby extensively with quality material like Seabiscuit, Corpse Bride, 2 Fast 2 Furious HDdvd, I don't think you'll keep saying that it is soft.

Sharpness to me is all relative. My Ruby was much softer than my Sharp 10K with high def sources such as Comcast programming. Also I have a Sony SXRD A2000 which BLOWS AWAY the Ruby in terms of sharpness. In fact every time I watched the A2000 it would make me think 'man my Ruby is soft'.

Also when I displayed my PC desktop on the Ruby it was obvious how soft the image was, especially when compared to displaying the desktop on the Shark 10K which was razor sharp in comparison. And in case you are wondering I had very good convergence on the Ruby - nearly perfect in the middle and about 1/2 pixel towards the edges.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Ruby/Pearl Owners: Ready to Jump to JVC?