Although for some of us here, if it isn't firewire, it isn't better than the 500, on paper or anywhere else. But I know what you mean--there's a certain segment that would appreciate the ability to record high def OTA or QAM and the occasional SD cable channel with one device. Of course, it would be even better if there were a single device with dual coax inputs which would allow you to record OTA and QAM and SD cable.
I agree with the sentiments Joseph S expressed here:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=784389
"re-release the firewire EyeTV 500 with a different product name so we can have 3 500s and 3 501s!!!!!
No replacement for the EyeTV 500?
No new QAM products?
No MacMini footprint?
I'm surprised by this as well, but maybe El Gato:
1) has been too busy selling cheap USB sticks around the world to care much about new products for North America;
2) has decided to get out of the hardware biz completely, leaving that to third party providers instead and just focus on the software and followup support;
3) has been so distracted by the chilly reception the dubious changes in their software have received here, by their most loyal supporters, that they've had to change course internally several times, which has slowed them down;
4) couldn't get a deal done with Newertech--how difficult can it be to stick that cheap EyeTV Hybrid inside a miniStack?
5) decided to wait for Leopard?