or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Sony using PS3 to drive the BD format: Bad move
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony using PS3 to drive the BD format: Bad move - Page 4

post #91 of 105
I'm no super gamer, I have yet to buy a console and while I am a movie fan, I don't buy discs.
But I am looking to buy both a PS3 and a Wii, a Wii for the kid and the PS3 for me.
Two different markets.

Also, I think PS3 will grow huge in sales when we start to see more game titles.
I know many people who have the $ now (myself included) but they don't mind to wait just a little bit longer.
I think it's the quiet before the storm.
post #92 of 105
^You may be right..but, the pS3 game "Resistance: Fall Of Man" is worth buying a PS3 for....IMO
post #93 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad View Post

Seems to me that the people that are the most concerned about the PS3 sales levels are the more extreme HD-DVD fanboys in this forum and they don't even want a PS3! Sad! Some of the more extreme HD-DVD fanboys have apparently even resorted to visiting their local stores to do stock checks of PS3s and standalone BD players. Sad!

Funny, seems to me the guys that already own PS3s and aren't planning on buying another one still do stock checks to make sure their console of choice is selling too. Isn't that just as sad?

I have even read that some PS3 owners that didn't see stock on the floor asked if there was stock in the back. Which is worse. Personally, after I bought my PS3 I have never taken the trouble to check to see how available they had become. I don't care.

I also see quite a few Sony fanboys stock checking the 360 HD DVD drive too. Fanboyism (new word?) goes both ways boys.
post #94 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

^You may be right..but, the pS3 game "Resistance: Fall Of Man" is worth buying a PS3 for....IMO

Thank god for the BD drive in the PS3, because after I finished RFOM, there is absolutely no reason to turn on the PS3 except for watching movies. I feel sorry for the hardcore Sony fanboys who bought this strickly as a gaming rig, because there is nothing to play. Resistance was great, but not enough for a "gamer" to go on.

Good thing I have a 360 too. Still have Rainbow 6 Vegas to finish and this weekend I will be watching BD and HD DVD! Whoooohoooo!
post #95 of 105
^do you play online??
I have played about 1hr of the single player....
post #96 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

Dont you also think demand is a factor here??

There is no demand for the PS3 at its current price or the BD players as well.

There's plenty of demand for the PS3 at it's current price, it's still selling more than a hundred thousand each week across two regions. Throw in all those in the rest of the world where it hasn't been launched and the numbers go through the roof.

And while I agree that there aren't a lot of games worth playing, all games are region free. There's nothing to stop someone from picking up the Japanese release of Motorstorm if they want to, albeit in an unfinished and offline-only version.
post #97 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

^do you play online??
I have played about 1hr of the single player....

I play online on the 360, but I don't have a headset for the PS3 yet and I won't play without one. I will. 40 player online sounds out of control. My point was, weather it be single player or online, one game is pretty weak. I check the gaming sites for other games I am interested in, but nothing for a few months. That's why, unless someone wants the PS3 for gaming and not for it's BD playback, I don't see any reason to buy one now. I however, use it for BD playback.
post #98 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subotnik View Post

There's plenty of demand for the PS3 at it's current price, it's still selling more than a hundred thousand each week across two regions. Throw in all those in the rest of the world where it hasn't been launched and the numbers go through the roof.

And while I agree that there aren't a lot of games worth playing, all games are region free. There's nothing to stop someone from picking up the Japanese release of Motorstorm if they want to, albeit in an unfinished and offline-only version.


The PS3 will shift over 100 million units worldwide......just like the PS2 and the PS1 managed.No demand??
post #99 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911lad View Post

The PS3 will shift over 100 million units worldwide......just like the PS2 and the PS1 managed.No demand??

This is your opinion there is no way to tell at this point if the ps3 will do well....lets talk again next Xmas, ok?
post #100 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

This is your opinion there is no way to tell at this point if the ps3 will do well....lets talk again next Xmas, ok?

100 million sales over the lifetime of the PS3 is not unrealistic, some analysts suggest that this figure could well turn out to be conservative.
post #101 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911lad View Post

100 million sales over the lifetime of the PS3 is not unrealistic, some analysts suggest that this figure could well turn out to be conservative.


Can you post links to these analyst's claims?

It is all speculation at this point is my point
post #102 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post

Thank god for the BD drive in the PS3, because after I finished RFOM, there is absolutely no reason to turn on the PS3 except for watching movies. I feel sorry for the hardcore Sony fanboys who bought this strickly as a gaming rig, because there is nothing to play. Resistance was great, but not enough for a "gamer" to go on.

Good thing I have a 360 too. Still have Rainbow 6 Vegas to finish and this weekend I will be watching BD and HD DVD! Whoooohoooo!

I completely disagree. Although there are some who bought it as a gaming rig, even many of those are finding out it is more capable of other things than just gaming.

I have R:FOM and can tell you that multiplayer online is very addictive. I have bought a couple of other games and rented several which were good, but I keep going back to R:FOM online. I play for hours at night, every night. I play capture the flag and it is a blast. I have even joined a clan which I never would have done before. I am 45. I am creating games with a couple of other players just to find glitches on some maps. They are 17, 25, 35 year olds. There are no boundaries and limits. People are very cool out there.

Many are loading linux software onto the PS3. They are using it for multimedia, etc.

The flip side. Many who bought it strictly as a BD player who are not gamers are getting into trying gaming. They have a controller in their hands for BD movies and get curious. They then download demos and try gaming. These tend to be older people in my age group and even older. Several from AVS have commented how they went out and bought games although not having ever been a gamer before.

Sony is no dummy.
post #103 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I completely disagree. Although there are some who bought it as a gaming rig, even many of those are finding out it is more capable of other things than just gaming.

I have R:FOM and can tell you that multiplayer online is very addictive. I have bought a couple of other games and rented several which were good, but I keep going back to R:FOM online. I play for hours at night, every night. I play capture the flag and it is a blast. I have even joined a clan which I never would have done before. I am 45. I am creating games with a couple of other players just to find glitches on some maps. They are 17, 25, 35 year olds. There are no boundaries and limits. People are very cool out there.

Many are loading linux software onto the PS3. They are using it for multimedia, etc.

The flip side. Many who bought it strictly as a BD player who are not gamers are getting into trying gaming. They have a controller in their hands for BD movies and get curious. They then download demos and try gaming. These tend to be older people in my age group and even older. Several from AVS have commented how they went out and bought games although not having ever been a gamer before.

Sony is no dummy.

You must ahve missed my next post. In any even't, most of the additional functionality that you are describing is replicated a couple times over in my, and many other households.

What I am getting at is, I have been online gaming for years, as have millions of others. This is something I readily do on my PS2, Xbox, 360, and PC. I have a media center pc connected to my home theater and my 360 is networked and can stream HD video and my whole audio library through my HT. The only thing different is the BD playback and the game library. As of right now there isn't much, for people who have other options in their homes, offered by the PS3 that I don't already have...other than BD.

I bought mine for gaming and BD playback. I am happy with purchase, and as I stated before, I feel as though it might be a let down for those gamers who spent $600 only to use it as a gaming rig because there is really only one great game right now. I feel some might be happier with their purchase if they wait, if all they care about is gaming. I guess I am naturally comparing the PS3 to my 360, which currently has some really stellar games. I know the PS3 eventually will have a great library, but in the end, that is my point...it will.
post #104 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post

You must ahve missed my next post. In any even't, most of the additional functionality that you are describing is replicated a couple times over in my, and many other households.

What I am getting at is, I have been online gaming for years, as have millions of others. This is something I readily do on my PS2, Xbox, 360, and PC. I have a media center pc connected to my home theater and my 360 is networked and can stream HD video and my whole audio library through my HT. The only thing different is the BD playback and the game library. As of right now there isn't much, for people who have other options in their homes, offered by the PS3 that I don't already have...other than BD.

I bought mine for gaming and BD playback. I am happy with purchase, and as I stated before, I feel as though it might be a let down for those gamers who spent $600 only to use it as a gaming rig because there is really only one great game right now. I feel some might be happier with their purchase if they wait, if all they care about is gaming. I guess I am naturally comparing the PS3 to my 360, which currently has some really stellar games. I know the PS3 eventually will have a great library, but in the end, that is my point...it will.


I like what you said here and I too feel that in time the PS3 will be worth it's hefty price tag and this could be trouble for sony......I have the game release schedule for this year and there is maybe 7 games i think will be good but most are xbox retreads....i wonder if lack of titles is because the games are harder to write for the PS3?? It still is good for a cheap BD player, but i still think you need a good quality upscaling dvd player as the PS3 probably wont support this feature for awhile if at all...
post #105 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin1001 View Post

Thohiba did (is doing?) the same with their HD-DVD players

Do you have a lisp? Thohiba?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Sony using PS3 to drive the BD format: Bad move