or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Why two front page stories about HD-DVD and porn? Is it really that big a deal?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why two front page stories about HD-DVD and porn? Is it really that big a deal?

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 
I am very curious about what seems to be very selective front page coverage here at AVS forum. We now have two front page banner stories about HD-DVD and the big new studio support. (Turns out its only from companies that make exclusively porn films).

However there was no headline story about the fact that Blu-ray has taken the sales lead in December. There was also no headline story about the fact that Blu-ray has a HUGE lead now in the number of announced REAL movies with confirmed release dates.

We also got a front page headline about Toshiba's 51GB HD-DVD prototype, calling it "feasible". However, we didn't get a front page story about TDKs 200GB Blu-ray prototype at all.

In fact the number of positive headline stories about HD-DVD simply outnumber the Blu-ray stories 2:1.

However most sensible people agree that Blu-ray stole the show at this years CES.

So what is going on here?

I hope I am not being idealistic in my belief that this thread will not be deleted, and the members that make this site possible will be given the opportunity to discuss the recent CES coverage.

In other words, deleting or locking this thread will only confirm any suspiscion of a bias towards HD-DVD.

I would be very interested in hearing other members opinions on the recent coverage here at AVS.

-edit-


Apparently my post has been misunderstood. Everyone sees the word "porn" and misses the point I was trying to make, and that was that the front page coverage here was biased in favor of HD-DVD.

to clarify:

positive HD-DVD stories outnumbered positive Blu-ray stories 2:1

Toshibas 51GB prototype got a headline, TDKs 200GB prototype did not

Universal announces almost no new films at all (NO HEADLINE AGAIN)

New Toshiba Gen 2 HD-DVD player gets a headline.

New Gen 2 Blu-ray players (Samsung etc.) get no headline, no mention.

NO major studios defected as some said would happen (NO HEADLINE AGAIN)

We get two headlines about porn on HD-DVD. (Just don't think that the front page should say "GOODBYE BLU-RAY" concerning this event).

According to Fox a major studio that is in better position to know sales than anyone else, Blu-ray finally took the sales lead this December. (NO HEADLINE AGAIN)

-edit-

Just to be specific this post is refering to the very front page of AVS before you enter the main forums. This is where official AVS CES "headlines" have been posted throughout the week.
post #2 of 68
Actually, since you decided to create another thread, there are now 3 HD DVD porn stories on the front page.
post #3 of 68
Quote:


In fact the number of positive headline stories about HD-DVD simply outnumber the Blu-ray stories 2:1.

Maybe it's reflecting software sales of the two formats in 2006?

P.S. In before the lock.
post #4 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by efranzen View Post

Actually, since you decided to create another thread, there are now 3 HD DVD porn stories on the front page.


I am talking about the front page of AVS BEFORE you enter the main forums. This is where official site reporters have been posting coverage headlines.
post #5 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

I am talking about the front page of AVS BEFORE you enter the main forums. This is where official site reporters have been posting coverage headlines.

Be that as it may...it was still pretty funny.
post #6 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

Its because HD DVD owners are all pervs. We are now finding that out with all the excitement about porn annoncements.

He doth protest too much...

You're just jealous the HD DVD people are going to get all the strung out coke addicts on HD. (Yasmeen Bleeth doesn't count.)
post #7 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

Its because HD DVD owners are all pervs. We are now finding that out with all the excitement about porn announcements.


Just a joke guys. Just a joke!

Yeah but we totally outnumbered you in deviant acts 2:1 in 2006. We've won the Format Whores.
post #8 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

He doth protest too much...

You're just jealous the HD DVD people are going to get all the strung out coke addicts on HD. (Yasmeen Bleeth doesn't count.)

The most recent front page headline starts "GOOD BYE BLU-RAY"

Actually given this years CES news shouldn't the headline be "GOOD BYE HD_DVD"

the porn coverage is just an example.

I really don't think that after the "official" CES coverage here AVS can claim to be unbiased in the format war.

The pro-HD-DVD slant is overwhelming.
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

However there was no headline story about the fact that Blu-ray has taken the sales lead in December.

Has this actually been confirmed by someone who isn't Fox? Even Fox only claimed to have sold more (by 20%) in the week before Xmas - suggesting HD DVD sold more in the first 3 weeks of the month.
post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

The most recent front page headline starts "GOOD BYE BLU-RAY"

Actually given this years CES news shouldn't the headline be "GOOD BYE HD_DVD"

the porn coverage is just an example.

I really don't think that after the "official" CES coverage here AVS can claim to be unbiased in the format war.

The pro-HD-DVD slant is overwhelming.

That's because you have a differing opinion on what will win the war? How difficult is that to understand? Some think mainstream studios is only one part (albeit a large one) to win a format war not the only part. Others think inexpensive players, small studio (porn and indie house) add to the mix that so far Blu Ray has yet to attract.

BTW Blu Ray side really didn't announce anything but titles that were sure to come anyways (otherwise why have supporters on your side).
post #11 of 68
Methink the OP is a wee bit too sensitive.

There's nothing sensible about this war. It's totally nonsensical.

Let's be honest "GOOD" porn is essential. Anyone in a relationship knows that
after a while it's harder to "spark" that passion. There's a reason why the adult film industry
is a billion dollar industry..despite online downloads.

I don't think AVS is slanted towards HD DVD. There are a lot of passionate supporters on either side but the overriding feel from my PoV is that this place is ran by fairly neutral people.
post #12 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

The most recent front page headline starts "GOOD BYE BLU-RAY"

Actually given this years CES news shouldn't the headline be "GOOD BYE HD_DVD"

the porn coverage is just an example.

I really don't think that after the "official" CES coverage here AVS can claim to be unbiased in the format war.

The pro-HD-DVD slant is overwhelming.

Well, its plain to see you overwhelmingly support Blu Ray(no problem with that), but you would have to ask yourself what would the Blu Ray fans be doing if the shoes were on the other feet....jumping for joy I presume and more "another nail in the coffin for HD DVD" talk.

I still don't understand why BD fans are sooooo overjoyed about CES. HD DVD had announcements that were unexpected...more CE support....more studio support(Bandai-laugh if you want, its still support and porn studios). BD got what we all expected, well me anyway....same studios staying put and official announcements of movies everybody already knew was coming...

CES was good for both formats...more so for HD DVD IMHO...but CES also confirmed that these two formats will coexist, another DVD-R/+R
post #13 of 68
Just think without the format wars, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to read the following,""I'm not really self-conscious because I'm so focused on my lines." --Kaylani Lei, Wicked Pictures"

I can't stop laughing!!!
post #14 of 68
Tells you something about forum management, that's for sure. I can't say it, though, because the post would be deleted.

And, oh by the way, Vivid announces adult videos for both formats:
http://www.tvpredictions.com/debbie011207.htm
Quote:


"As of now, it (the first release) will just be Blu-ray," said Vivid CEO Steve Hirsch. "But that's not to say we won't release it in HD-DVD later. Blu-ray seems to have the momentum. But we're not in the business of picking winners. We will produce content for all formats."

So, keep this in mind the next time you want to judge the accuracy of AVS headlines.
post #15 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-05 View Post

Well, its plain to see you overwhelmingly support Blu Ray(no problem with that), but you would have to ask yourself what would the Blu Ray fans be doing if the shoes were on the other feet....jumping for joy I presume and more "another nail in the coffin for HD DVD" talk.

I still don't understand why BD fans are sooooo overjoyed about CES. HD DVD had announcements that were unexpected...more CE support....more studio support(Bandai-laugh if you want, its still support and porn studios). BD got what we all expected, well me anyway....same studios staying put and official announcements of movies everybody already knew was coming...

CES was good for both formats...more so for HD DVD IMHO...but CES also confirmed that these two formats will coexist, another DVD-R/+R

Apparently my post has been misunderstood. Everyone sees the word "porn" and misses the point I was trying to make, and that was that the front page coverage here was biased in favor of HD-DVD.

to clarify:

positive HD-DVD stories outnumbered positive Blu-ray stories 2:1

Toshibas 51GB prototype got a headline, TDKs 200GB prototype did not

Universal announces almost no new films at all (NO HEADLINE AGAIN)

NO major studios defected as some said would happen (NO HEADLINE AGAIN)

We get two headlines about porn on HD-DVD. (Just don't think that the front page should say "GOODBYE BLU-RAY" concerning this event).
post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zuber View Post

Tells you something about forum management, that's for sure. I can't say it, though, because the post would be deleted.

And, oh by the way, Vivid announces adult videos for both formats:
http://www.tvpredictions.com/debbie011207.htm
So, keep this in mind the next time you want to judge the accuracy of AVS headlines.

Wow. Vivid claimed its first title was going to be Blu-ray only before, and now they're format neutral HD DVD and Blu-ray.
post #17 of 68
How many BD exclusive ppl will convert to HD DVD in order to watch porn in 1080p? I dunno, but it'll be interesting to see. Even as an exclusive HD DVD supporter, I would almost never buy porn on the format - never even have on DVD. Then again, there are alot of couples who love to watch porn, some of my friends for example. I just think it's a waste of money - not entertaining or of any artistic merit.

What should have been on the front page is how BD is trying to lock out not only Porn but Indie studio Synapse's Thriller: A Cruel Picture. Is this not disturbing!?!?!
post #18 of 68
Ron's exZUBERation just backfired with a BANG.

Looks like Vivid is on it's way to HD DVD only support. Give it a couple of months of them being pissed off that no one will replicate their movies and bam. HD DVD take the checkered flag.
post #19 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

Apparently my post has been misunderstood. Everyone sees the word "porn" and misses the point I was trying to make, and that was that the front page coverage here was biased in favor of HD-DVD.

to clarify:

positive HD-DVD stories outnumbered positive Blu-ray stories 2:1

Toshibas 51GB prototype got a headline, TDKs 200GB prototype did not

Universal announces almost no new films at all (NO HEADLINE AGAIN)

NO major studios defected as some said would happen (NO HEADLINE AGAIN)

We get two headlines about porn on HD-DVD. (Just don't think that the front page should say "GOODBYE BLU-RAY" concerning this event).

What's positive to say about showing up at a hardware show and announcing proposed release dates for software and more $1000.00 players to just sit on the shelf?

The porn announcement is huge. Its an entire industry that was snubbed by blu-ray and is now exclusively HD-DVD. The HD market currently is tiny compared to SD-DVD. To have an entire entertainment industry committing to just one format this early is almost as devastating as the Microsoft announcement of a discount Chinese player.

Probably the juiciest bit of this whole debacle is that when Blu-ray acted horrified when the porn industry came knocking, HD-DVD insiders went "Psssst, over here!"
post #20 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

What's positive to say about showing up at a hardware show and announcing proposed release dates for software and more $1000.00 players to just sit on the shelf?

The porn announcement is huge. Its an entire industry that was snubbed by blu-ray and is now exclusively HD-DVD. The HD market currently is tiny compared to SD-DVD. To have an entire entertainment industry committing to just one format this early is almost as devastating as the Microsoft announcement of a discount Chinese player.

Probably the juiciest bit of this whole debacle is that when Blu-ray acted horrified when the porn industry came knocking, HD-DVD insiders went "Psssst, over here!"

I really disagree. Can you name one porn title that has sold as many copies on DVD as Disney/Pixar's Cars? You can't because it doesn't exist.

However one got front page treatment twice and the other not even once.
post #21 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickering Hound View Post

What's positive to say about showing up at a hardware show and announcing proposed release dates for software and more $1000.00 players to just sit on the shelf?

The porn announcement is huge. Its an entire industry that was snubbed by blu-ray and is now exclusively HD-DVD. The HD market currently is tiny compared to SD-DVD. To have an entire entertainment industry committing to just one format this early is almost as devastating as the Microsoft announcement of a discount Chinese player.

Probably the juiciest bit of this whole debacle is that when Blu-ray acted horrified when the porn industry came knocking, HD-DVD insiders went "Psssst, over here!"


but paired together....one can only imagine.

I also imagine that we'll be seen some very pervasive adverts done by Porn studios themselves for HD DVD - on virtually all the hundreds of billions of Porno sites. Genius! advertising at its finest
post #22 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

I really disagree. Can you name one porn title that has sold as many copies on DVD as Disney/Pixar's Cars? You can't because it doesn't exist.

However one got front page treatment twice and the other not even once.

But that's the whole problem. All HD titles in both formats put together haven't sold as many as "Cars" in its first day.

For a format in its infancy to lose an entire entertainment industry is a catastrophe.
post #23 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-DVDwonder View Post

I just think it's a waste of money - not entertaining or of any artistic merit.

Can be said about a lot of movies. Esp the latter part
post #24 of 68
Quote:


Why two front page stories about HD-DVD and porn? Is it really that big a deal?

Oh well. We have three now ...
post #25 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj View Post

Oh well. We have three now ...

Wow did you even read the thread or my original post????

I am referring to the FRONT PAGE OF AVS BEFORE YOU EVEN ENTER THE MAIN FORUM.

Obviously this thread is not on the front page of AVS.

Someone has made this exact same comment in this thread before you.
post #26 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

Universal announces almost no new films at all (NO HEADLINE AGAIN)

NO major studios defected as some said would happen (NO HEADLINE AGAIN)

Why would they announce non-news???

Here's a couple more they didn't do articles on:

- Blu-ray doesn't unveil any sub $500 players at CES
- Blu-ray doesn't announce any more exclusive studios at CES
- The sky remains blue for a record 4 billionth year!

post #27 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

Wow did you even read the thread or my original post????

I am referring to the FRONT PAGE OF AVS BEFORE YOU EVEN ENTER THE MAIN FORUM.

I did .. but probably not well enough.

So, why start a new thread about it ... and not just send a PM to the front page poster or put this question in the general talk thread.

If you are angry that this news is being given more time than it merits, the last thing you should do is to start a new thread ...
post #28 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotan View Post

Why would they announce non-news???


These events were newsworthy because of comments by HD-DVD "insiders" here that we should all wait for CES when a major studio would switch sides.

Or that we should all just wait for CES to see the major HD-DVD release list from Universal.
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

These events were newsworthy because of comments by HD-DVD "insiders" here that we should all wait for CES when a major studio would switch sides.

Or that we should all just wait for CES to see the major HD-DVD release list from Universal.

Well, a studio didn't switch sides....Just an entire industry
post #30 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle View Post

I really disagree. Can you name one porn title that has sold as many copies on DVD as Disney/Pixar's Cars? You can't because it doesn't exist.

However one got front page treatment twice and the other not even once.

The HD-DVD spin is now becoming rather desperate.

When million selling PS3's and support from Disney and co is spun into a negative, yet phanton Chinese HD-DVD players and HD porn (in the Internet age) is reported as groundbreaking, you have to chuckle to yourself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Why two front page stories about HD-DVD and porn? Is it really that big a deal?