Originally Posted by rcawood
I have a 74 and live in Nashville. First call to Pioneer -- rep stated that I had to call service centers until I found one that could do the firmware update. Hi Tech Svc of TN (in Nashville) indicated they could do the upgrade but required a receipt showing date of purchase.
I can't find my receipt and didn't think is should be required so I called Pioneer back to discuss receipt issue. Different rep says there are only 5 service centers that can do this update and the closest is Atlanta. He states that if the Nashville firm was capable of doing the upgrade they would know that proof of purchase is not required.
Obviously I would prefer not to have to ship this somewhere. Has anyone gotten this done in the Nashville area? Suggestions?
I just did my firmware update through Hi Tech on Friday. They did not ask for my proof of purchase. They said they would do updates between 10am - 2pm Mon - Fri. They were very accomadating to me since I had to drive up from Alabama to get this done. It did however take a very long time. Partly from inexperienced tech and partly because of Pioneer. The were cool and let me watch while they were working on it in the back of the shop. There are three steps in the firmware update.
1. The first is hooking up a laptop serial cable to a connection board to the HDMI port on the receiver and then flash the unit.
2. Part 2 connects the serial cable from the laptop to the serial cable input on the receiver (believe this is the r232 connector). Then they download the new DSP micro flash.
3. Part 3 involves connecting the digital co-ax out from a DVD player and connecting it to a digital co-ax input on the receiver. The tech then plays a audio CD that contains that data for another DSP flash. This last one fixes the LFE issue.
Each steps corrosponds to each row in the firmware display. Each one needs to be completed succesfully to continue on the next step. This was the issue with mine. Pioneer did not include any kind of error correction on the firmware so if one of the bits gets dropped it has to be redone. To insure you get an accurate transfer the tech has to select the slowest bit transfer rate. At one point my unit was bricked because of a bad transfer and it took awhile to figure out what happened. Also when using a HDMI dvd player to do the last step make sure it is set to output PCM through the SPDif and not the HDMI output (I had to correct the tech on that one *shakes head*).
Depsite all the troubles the my VSX-81TXV did get updated. It should take about 45mins to complete if everything works. Mine took 6 hrs.
I hope you can find the information useful.