or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › According to some people I crossed over to the "DARK SIDE"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

According to some people I crossed over to the "DARK SIDE"

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Picked up a ps3 60 last nite and just hooked it up. I must admit extremely easy setup. Plugged hdmi into receiver and power plug into conditioner and getting 1080p now. No problems finding device. Only movie I picked up was Speed and watching it now. Nice pic (watching on Mits 37").

Only problem I have noticed is about 10 seconds during the elevator scene audio sounded like a transitor radio but cleared up immediately. According to receiver I am listening in MPCM and ps3 info is DTS 5.1 48kHz @1.5 Mbps.

Also have 360 add-on and have had no problems with it. Have been using my Denon 1920C through hdmi for sd and they are upconverted to 1080i. Still debating about Toshiba A2 but the only benefit I can see over the Denon is audio and is $400-500 worth the difference right now.
post #2 of 26
I wouldn't say "dark side" I'd say the smart side of dual format like alot of us here.Congrats and welcome to the only side that will win either way. I would also say that a stand alone would be a good bet for HD-DVD. You will get better audio and HDMI, which from your post I see you can take advantage of.
post #3 of 26
Welcome to the smart side.
The future is blu
post #4 of 26
You're on the right side now, don't throw any more money down the HDDVD hole by buying a stand-alone.
post #5 of 26
Ignore the fanboys, it is great to be format neutral and the PQ you will enjoy is close to being equal to the best HD DVDs. I have the PS3 and the HD-A1 and I'm happy with both.
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance50 View Post

Picked up a ps3 60 last nite and just hooked it up. I must admit extremely easy setup. Plugged hdmi into receiver and power plug into conditioner and getting 1080p now. No problems finding device. Only movie I picked up was Speed and watching it now. Nice pic (watching on Mits 37").

Only problem I have noticed is about 10 seconds during the elevator scene audio sounded like a transitor radio but cleared up immediately. According to receiver I am listening in MPCM and ps3 info is DTS 5.1 48kHz @1.5 Mbps.

Also have 360 add-on and have had no problems with it. Have been using my Denon 1920C through hdmi for sd and they are upconverted to 1080i. Still debating about Toshiba A2 but the only benefit I can see over the Denon is audio and is $400-500 worth the difference right now.

I would add the A2 to your setup...I love my Ps3 and HD DVD A2. The really nice thing about the A2 is it's playback of not only HD but it does a excellent job with Sd where as the PS3 does not.
post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
Surprisingly enough I just put Cars in the bd and although it is only running at 480p but it actually doesn't look bad.

Probably will hold off on the a2 for alittle while since I can us the Denon for SD.

So for now no regrets on the ps3.

One other question, I use cox internet so do I have to purchase a router or can I use the plug on the modem?
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

I would add the A2 to your setup...I love my Ps3 and HD DVD A2. The really nice thing about the A2 is it's playback of not only HD but it does a excellent job with Sd where as the PS3 does not.

Fyi I heard that a new firmware is coming soon for the A2, according to Robert from VE.
post #9 of 26
Congratulations on you PS3 purchase. I think you will be impressed with it. It is an amazing piece of electronics for $600.

There is nothing wrong owning both machines. There are great titles on both HD DVD and Blu Ray.

Plus it is all ways more fun on the Dark Side!!!
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Fyi I heard that a new firmware is coming soon for the A2, according to Robert from VE.

My A2 works perfect...must be a firmware upgrade for the problem with HDMI/DVI...I am straight HDMI and my A2 works flawless.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance50 View Post

Surprisingly enough I just put Cars in the bd and although it is only running at 480p but it actually doesn't look bad.

Probably will hold off on the a2 for alittle while since I can us the Denon for SD.

So for now no regrets on the ps3.

One other question, I use cox internet so do I have to purchase a router or can I use the plug on the modem?

Many users have reported excellent sd dvd playback on ps3 -including me. Looks VERY good. Yes you can plug the ps3 to your cable modem but if you want the connection shared with other computers you need a router.
post #12 of 26
To the OP: the Dark Side is usually associated to Windows, whereas people switching to a Mac go to the Light Side. And as Microsoft roots for HD-DVD while Apple is a founding member of the BDA, well...
post #13 of 26
If you own a 360 add-on a stand alone would be a pointless and risky investment at this stage. If HD DVD flops then you'd have wasted your money, at least with the 360 drive, you'll only have wasted $200
post #14 of 26
Despite the PS3s "unpopularity" the HD-DVD forum seems to have a lot of problems with their standalone units whereas the PS3 has very few. I have the 360 addon and it's good for watching non BD exclusives but that's about it.

Sony said they will release a firmware update that will upscale DVDs probably around the time for the European March release.
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance50 View Post

Surprisingly enough I just put Cars in the bd and although it is only running at 480p but it actually doesn't look bad.

Right now the PS/3 is just an ordinary DVD player. If your set does nice upscaling, you'll be happy.

When the player does upscaling, it better to extraordinary upscaling, since it has to beat what the set makers put into the set for SD upscaling.

It's the 1080i/1080p debate all over again. Those with nice outboard scalers probably think the whole debate is funny as heck. They'll take 480i through HDMI if they can get it (don't futz at all with the stream!).

Gary
post #16 of 26
Congrates bvance50 on picking up the PS3. You are format neutral and that's the place to be.

Don't pay attention to the fanboys above. They just ruin intelligent discussions on this forum.

If you can truely take advantage of the audio upgrade I'd go for the Standalone HD player. If not just stick with the 360 addon. The investment is not a waste as you'll always need a player for the HD DVD's you've purchase.
post #17 of 26
YEAH I KILLED THE PS3:

then i picked one up 2 weeks ago, my jury is still out, ONLY because theres not enough software out for it right now!

i got the 60g-r:fom and M:I:3 for $660.00 bucks out the door
post #18 of 26
I don't want to miss anything in HD. A1 plus PS3 here. I'm actually using the analog outs from the A1 and the HDMI from the PS3 into a Denon 3806.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvance50 View Post

Picked up a ps3 60 last nite and just hooked it up. I must admit extremely easy setup. Plugged hdmi into receiver and power plug into conditioner and getting 1080p now. No problems finding device. Only movie I picked up was Speed and watching it now. Nice pic (watching on Mits 37").

Only problem I have noticed is about 10 seconds during the elevator scene audio sounded like a transitor radio but cleared up immediately. According to receiver I am listening in MPCM and ps3 info is DTS 5.1 48kHz @1.5 Mbps.

Also have 360 add-on and have had no problems with it. Have been using my Denon 1920C through hdmi for sd and they are upconverted to 1080i. Still debating about Toshiba A2 but the only benefit I can see over the Denon is audio and is $400-500 worth the difference right now.

You didn't cross over to the dark side. And neither would someone who purchased a HD DVD player. You chose what is best for you and your money. And that's all that matters.
post #20 of 26
If this format war remains a stalemate by next year, then I will probably buy a low cost HD DVD player for the exclusive titles that I want.

Did anyone listen to the HT Guys podcast regarding CES in terms of HD DVD and Blu-ray?
Basically they feel it is too soon to declare a winner, but they admitted that many brand name companies are touting Blu-ray products while HD DVD was only really present at the Toshiba and Microsoft booth. LG was the exception due to the dual format player they are touting.
post #21 of 26
Has anybody compared the PS3 to the HD-A1 with 480p? I currently have and HD-A1 and my TV scales better than the HD-A1. I use it at 480p. Is the PS3 as good as the HD-A1 at 480p -- apples to apples comparison?
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

Has anybody compared the PS3 to the HD-A1 with 480p? I currently have and HD-A1 and my TV scales better than the HD-A1. I use it at 480p. Is the PS3 as good as the HD-A1 at 480p -- apples to apples comparison?

Wow! We've all heard so much good about the the upscaling of the Toshibas. What kind of TV do you have?

Of course a 480p output is being scaled by the Tosh from 480i. Have you tried 480i?
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketcha View Post

Wow! We've all heard so much good about the the upscaling of the Toshibas. What kind of TV do you have?

Of course a 480p output is being scaled by the Tosh from 480i. Have you tried 480i?

I have a Loewe Aconda 38" direct view CRT. I tried 480i, but the deinterlacer on the HD-A1 is better, so I output 480p over component. Using HQV and DVE it is evident that the TV's scaling is slightly better at resolving the finest resolution patterns. All in all the 480p from the HD-A1 is pretty good. I previously had the Reon based Denon DVD-2930CI. The 2930 had a more refined, cleaner image, but the HD-A1 provides finer detail. Since my TV only has component inputs I was not able to evaluate the upscaling capabilities of the 2930 since it only upscales over HDMI.

I know that some people make a big deal out of the fact that the PS3 does not upscale. I now realize that my TV is just fine doing the upscaling, and I'm trying to determine how the 480p image on the PS3 would compare to the HD-A1. I mean how good is the PS3 at deinterlacing and resolving detail, color accuracy, noise reduction, etc? I still have a couple of weeks to decide if I want to keep the HD-A1. However, the SD DVD performance of the PS3 would need to be as good or better than the HD-A1 to consider replacing it. I own something like 400 DVDs that I will still be watching for many years to come.

Edit add: With the price reduction of the Samsung players I am also considering that as well. Any SD DVD comparisons would be helpful.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

I have a Loewe Aconda 38" direct view CRT. I tried 480i, but the deinterlacer on the HD-A1 is better, so I output 480p over component. Using HQV and DVE it is evident that the TV's scaling is slightly better at resolving the finest resolution patterns. All in all the 480p from the HD-A1 is pretty good. I previously had the Reon based Denon DVD-2930CI. The 2930 had a more refined, cleaner image, but the HD-A1 provides finer detail. Since my TV only has component inputs I was not able to evaluate the upscaling capabilities of the 2930 since it only upscales over HDMI.

I know that some people make a big deal out of the fact that the PS3 does not upscale. I now realize that my TV is just fine doing the upscaling, and I'm trying to determine how the 480p image on the PS3 would compare to the HD-A1. I mean how good is the PS3 at deinterlacing and resolving detail, color accuracy, noise reduction, etc? I still have a couple of weeks to decide if I want to keep the HD-A1. However, the SD DVD performance of the PS3 would need to be as good or better than the HD-A1 to consider replacing it. I own something like 400 DVDs that I will still be watching for many years to come.

Edit add: With the price reduction of the Samsung players I am also considering that as well. Any SD DVD comparisons would be helpful.

Well there you have it. Not everyone has a TV with as good a scaler.

Now technically it's not SD DVD performance, but 480p performance that we're concerned with here. I'm guessing they're ballpark.

Buy one and return it if you don't like it. But be sure to post your findings.
post #25 of 26
It's addicting!

It all started with the PS3 at launch. Bought several Blu Ray movies and was impressed. Then bought a new TV (Sony XBR2 70") and was MORE impressed over my 4 year old XBR60. Decided I wanted some Universal titles so I bought an XA1 - Was much sharper and smoother than the PS3. Bought the S1 and it was better than PS3 for BD and SD. BUT XA1 was the best with SD. XA2 was delievered today and HOLY COW - THIS is the best player I own for HD content as well as SD by far. Im returning my PS3 today as I decided to just use the S1 for BD. I found I never play any games, and the PS3 gets loud when it heats up.

So, of all the machines I have used, for PQ they rank

1. Toshiba XA2 (Best HD I have seen as well as SD)
2. Toshiba XA1 (has glitches, even with latest FW, but puts out a nice picture)
3. Sony S1 (Great BD quality, good SD quality)
4. PS3 (I liked this one the least for PQ all around, BD and SD)

I was tempted by the Pioneer unit but at $1500 it is just too high for a player and I find the S1 to be a GREAT player which may become a classic like my Sony 7000 DVD player which I paid $1000 for in 97 or 98. The S1 is built much better than my 7000.

I own about 20 BD movies, and 6 HD but from now on will buy most titles on HD. I must say though, CRANK on BD was AMAZING! Great PW and loved the movie as well. I also own 1200+ SD DVD's so the Toshiba was well worth it for that alone. (upscaling)

There is no dark side, and if you can do both, I say do it! I love both BD and HD DVD!!
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevideoman69 View Post

It's addicting!

It all started with the PS3 at launch. Bought several Blu Ray movies and was impressed. Then bought a new TV (Sony XBR2 70") and was MORE impressed over my 4 year old XBR60. Decided I wanted some Universal titles so I bought an XA1 - Was much sharper and smoother than the PS3. Bought the S1 and it was better than PS3 for BD and SD. BUT XA1 was the best with SD. XA2 was delievered today and HOLY COW - THIS is the best player I own for HD content as well as SD by far. Im returning my PS3 today as I decided to just use the S1 for BD. I found I never play any games, and the PS3 gets loud when it heats up.

So, of all the machines I have used, for PQ they rank

1. Toshiba XA2 (Best HD I have seen as well as SD)
2. Toshiba XA1 (has glitches, even with latest FW, but puts out a nice picture)
3. Sony S1 (Great BD quality, good SD quality)
4. PS3 (I liked this one the least for PQ all around, BD and SD)

I was tempted by the Pioneer unit but at $1500 it is just too high for a player and I find the S1 to be a GREAT player which may become a classic like my Sony 7000 DVD player which I paid $1000 for in 97 or 98. The S1 is built much better than my 7000.

I own about 20 BD movies, and 6 HD but from now on will buy most titles on HD. I must say though, CRANK on BD was AMAZING! Great PW and loved the movie as well. I also own 1200+ SD DVD's so the Toshiba was well worth it for that alone. (upscaling)

There is no dark side, and if you can do both, I say do it! I love both BD and HD DVD!!

Could you describe the differences in more detail?

- defintiion
- color reproduction
- de-interlacing for SD
- motion smoothness
- noise
- artifacts
- etc.

I haven't heard of many people that are in a position to compare all of these systems. I'm also wondering if the PS3 SD issues were related to the upscaling capablities or to more basic decoding, de-interlacing capabilites. In may case, I don;t need the scaling -- just a 480p image.

Thanks...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › According to some people I crossed over to the "DARK SIDE"