or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Show me your RACK - Page 61

post #1801 of 2096
VidPro,
Not to thread crap...(I am following your solution as well...because I think it looks kinda cool...) But you have enough questions and information to start your own thread detailing your experience and build...
post #1802 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post

VidPro,
Not to thread crap...(I am following your solution as well...because I think it looks kinda cool...) But you have enough questions and information to start your own thread detailing your experience and build...

Hi Kevin,

I'll do that. There's had to be a lot of people that have similar situations and that's why I thought I'd post my ongoing experience.

Thanks
post #1803 of 2096
I couldn't find an answer in this thread, so I was hoping someone more knowledgable than I can answer...

I own a Sanus CFR2136 Component Rack, and I absolutely love it. Can I use these faceplates (http://www.customavrack.com/products/1198-middle-atlantic-custom-faceplates.aspx) on this thing? If so, do I need to purchase the entire shelf, or can I get by with just the faceplate?
post #1804 of 2096
Middle Atlantic custom rack shelves can be used on any 19" rack. You'll probably need the full custom rack shelf( faceplate & shelf ), I don't think the faceplates will fit with the Sanus shelves. Call the vendor in your link, he'll know for sure.
post #1805 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

I couldn't find an answer in this thread, so I was hoping someone more knowledgable than I can answer...

I own a Sanus CFR2136 Component Rack, and I absolutely love it. Can I use these faceplates (http://www.customavrack.com/products/1198-middle-atlantic-custom-faceplates.aspx) on this thing? If so, do I need to purchase the entire shelf, or can I get by with just the faceplate?

You can buy just the faceplates and I think that they are $69 dollars each. You can use them with other shelves, but you will have to modify them. That means you will probably have to cut off the part of the faceplate that folds in on the bottom and top. That is what I did.
post #1806 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

I couldn't find an answer in this thread, so I was hoping someone more knowledgable than I can answer...

I own a Sanus CFR2136 Component Rack, and I absolutely love it. Can I use these faceplates (http://www.customavrack.com/products/1198-middle-atlantic-custom-faceplates.aspx) on this thing? If so, do I need to purchase the entire shelf, or can I get by with just the faceplate?

It looks like the faceplate extends to cover the rails (and is fixed to the rails), so you'll probably end up with double depth: the flange from the original shelf plus the flange from the face plate
post #1807 of 2096
I was going to make the double-thickness comment but I can't recall if the MA units I had did that or not. I know at least one of them had the flange ears integrated with the faceplace and shelf. I also tried using one faceplate with another shelf and ran into the curled-back part of the faceplate's bottom edge. There was just enough of a lip to present a clearance issue with the shelf I wanted to use.
post #1808 of 2096
^^^That is why I said that you have to modify it and cut it off. also, the face plates are really thin so do worry about it stick out. If he has all the same shelves and faceplates on all of them, you will not notice the difference.
post #1809 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

^^^That is why I said that you have to modify it and cut it off. also, the face plates are really thin so do worry about it stick out. If he has all the same shelves and faceplates on all of them, you will not notice the difference.

I'd imagine you're looking for pretty decent aesthetics if you're buying custom faceplates (I realize they do help with cooling, but I don't think that's the reason most people buy them). you'd have be a pretty good metal worker to cut off a 3U high flange and finish it well
post #1810 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

I'd imagine you're looking for pretty decent aesthetics if you're buying custom faceplates (I realize they do help with cooling, but I don't think that's the reason most people buy them). you'd have be a pretty good metal worker to cut off a 3U high flange and finish it well

No that is not what you cut off. That does not make sense to do that because how would it stay up? What I was saying is cut the inside part that folds under. If you have the face plates you will know what I am talking about. The only issue I ran into other than I ran out of screws is the directv box not fitting good. I think there is an old pic of my rack one page back. Those are the faceplates with monoprice shelves.
post #1811 of 2096
Thanks for the replies everyone.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, the faceplates by themselves would require some modification, but buying the shelf+faceplate would work without modification?
post #1812 of 2096
Yup.
post #1813 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPPIZ View Post

Yup.

Thanks!
post #1814 of 2096
Personally I would (and did) order the shelf and faceplate together. They work perfectly together and I don't think any [reasonable] amount of money is worth the tradeoff of time, frustration, and inferior results. Like the 2 above me posted it's a standard rack width and will fit into most any other 19" rack. Also the MA RSH shelves are designed for optimal depth to allow good air moment through the rack.

Not to say I wouldn't give a thumbs up to somebody who retrofitted the MA faceplates on other shelves and made it look good, that's hard work.
post #1815 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Personally I would (and did) order the shelf and faceplate together. They work perfectly together and I don't think any [reasonable] amount of money is worth the tradeoff of time, frustration, and inferior results. Like the 2 above me posted it's a standard rack width and will fit into most any other 19" rack. Also the MA RSH shelves are designed for optimal depth to allow good air moment through the rack.

Not to say I wouldn't give a thumbs up to somebody who retrofitted the MA faceplates on other shelves and made it look good, that's hard work.

how much is one of those custom plates with the matching shelf unit? (I thought about using these with my own CFR2136 a while back)
post #1816 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

how much is one of those custom plates with the matching shelf unit? (I thought about using these with my own CFR2136 a while back)

I get them for $109 from customavrack.
post #1817 of 2096
Here's mine, using a Sanus CFR2127 fully decked out, I hope you guys like it...I love it
post #1818 of 2096
Another one with the side panels off and work lights turned on

post #1819 of 2096
Last one I promise


post #1820 of 2096
Love the MA ASX-R rack...........easy and convenient to switch out........

post #1821 of 2096
Having never seen the roll-out rail setup, what does it take to use it?
post #1822 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

Having never seen the roll-out rail setup, what does it take to use it?

About 5 minutes to get the service track and stand out of storage, attach them to the rack base and unlock the rack, and then it's a simple pull on the ball-bearing rollers...

The service stand sits on floor, and the two rails sit in slots on the top of the service stand. Four screws attach the rail to the base of the rack - after you remove the ~1U cover plate (two screws). That cover plate also prevents the rack from sliding - removing it reveals the screw holes for the rails, and the slot handle you grab to slide the rack out.

It is more work than "walking behind the rack" if you have access that way, though... So when something isn't working, it does take clock time to access the equipment before you can start diagnosing. But it's infinitely easier than having NO access! biggrin.gif
post #1823 of 2096
Thanks for clarifying, I wondered whether it had a slide-in or something that stored it with the rack.

Agreed, better to have some setup to get access vs none at all. Just be sure to find a good place to keep the pieces for the stand.
post #1824 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

About 5 minutes to get the service track and stand out of storage, attach them to the rack base and unlock the rack, and then it's a simple pull on the ball-bearing rollers...

The service stand sits on floor, and the two rails sit in slots on the top of the service stand. Four screws attach the rail to the base of the rack - after you remove the ~1U cover plate (two screws). That cover plate also prevents the rack from sliding - removing it reveals the screw holes for the rails, and the slot handle you grab to slide the rack out.

It is more work than "walking behind the rack" if you have access that way, though... So when something isn't working, it does take clock time to access the equipment before you can start diagnosing. But it's infinitely easier than having NO access! biggrin.gif

Is the service track and stand specifically for MA or would it work with other brands. Would you mind sharing part nos/links?

Regards

Mark
post #1825 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

About 5 minutes to get the service track and stand out of storage, attach them to the rack base and unlock the rack, and then it's a simple pull on the ball-bearing rollers...

The service stand sits on floor, and the two rails sit in slots on the top of the service stand. Four screws attach the rail to the base of the rack - after you remove the ~1U cover plate (two screws). That cover plate also prevents the rack from sliding - removing it reveals the screw holes for the rails, and the slot handle you grab to slide the rack out.

It is more work than "walking behind the rack" if you have access that way, though... So when something isn't working, it does take clock time to access the equipment before you can start diagnosing. But it's infinitely easier than having NO access! biggrin.gif

The AXS-R was the only solution..................the alternative was having rear open to a 1/2 bath. Can you imagine if one of your friends actually thought the rear rack access was a urinal? biggrin.gif
post #1826 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Is the service track and stand specifically for MA or would it work with other brands. Would you mind sharing part nos/links?

Regards

Mark

Guess it could be modified to work with other brands...............but might be cost prohibitive..........and not worth the effort.

Links:

http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/axsr.htm

It's all there.........part #'s and all
post #1827 of 2096
Designed only for Middle Atlantic. Bottom of page here: http://www.middleatlantic.com/enclosure/roll/axss.htm
post #1828 of 2096
Middle Atlantic also has a non-rotating version which I'm using in my setup. I believe a little cheaper if you have the space in front of the rack to slide it out far enough to get behind it.
post #1829 of 2096
^^^

the pull out stand is nice if used on hardwood or tile floors: but take note if you try to use it on high pile carpet you may have a problem: I bought them for my two racks but the stand shifted too much on carpet as I tried to pull the rack out: a piece of wood on the carpet helped a bit but I gave up: luckily I had enough access from the rear
post #1830 of 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossoDiamante View Post

Middle Atlantic also has a non-rotating version which I'm using in my setup. I believe a little cheaper if you have the space in front of the rack to slide it out far enough to get behind it.

That's the one I use as well. My niche was tight on depth and I was concerned about running out of space to pull out the rack as well, so I opted for the 25" extension instead of the 48". Which does make it a bit of a hassle to get behind the deep components - if you have the space in the room, definitely use the 48" tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

the pull out stand is nice if used on hardwood or tile floors: but take note if you try to use it on high pile carpet you may have a problem: I bought them for my two racks but the stand shifted too much on carpet as I tried to pull the rack out: a piece of wood on the carpet helped a bit but I gave up: luckily I had enough access from the rear

I have low-pile carpet in the theater and don't have any issues with the service track shifting, but could certainly see that being a problem on deep piles... Definitely want a stable base for the rack to move - that's a lot of weight and $$$ moving around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Is the service track and stand specifically for MA or would it work with other brands. Would you mind sharing part nos/links

No way you'd want to try that. The bottom of the rack has the rollers built-in, and the rest of the system is all engineered for the tracks. The track and stand are the expensive parts anyway.

Jeff
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home