Short answer is I'd happily accept any offers of help.
I'll post a pic or two tonight of my [piss poor] convergence, I was delayed a little when my HDMI cables went missing, the new ones should be in today, and I can hook up the PS3 and feed test patterns in 480, 720 and 1080.
In reading the docs drove home the importance of the physical, mechanical setup, in most basic terms. I realized that 1. my strut not centered (wide left, the final image is about a foot or two off), and 2. at the moment, it is not level by a lesser margin, but enough that monkeying around with the internal controls. The second one shouldn't be hard to fix. The first one means I'll have to take down the PJ, and redo the strut to incorporate some lateral control. That was the plan when I built it, but as a rookie, the threaded rods weren't put in the right place, so I punted on the lateral strut since my carpenters volunteered to do the heave and they were waiting for me. It can be fixed, but my debate is whether to do it before 9/29 when I'll have guests. I am leaning towards fixing it, and called a buddy in for muscle on Monday night. In the meantime I need to level it out and figure out how the controls more so that I can work the learning curve down so I can put out the as good an image as a bedsheet will take (was waiting to figure out the PJ before picking the final screen size).
I'll take any tips online or in person happily.