or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pilgrims Pit - Design & Build - Page 17

post #481 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapmonkey View Post

Congrats on the kiddo Pilgrim! Also, I wanted to thank you for your pictured tutorial back on P9 relating to building your own coax cables. I used it last night and it worked like a charm!

In addition to the compression tool you should get one of these if your doing allot of cables.



It strips the cable all in one step and to the right dimensions.
post #482 of 523
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapmonkey View Post

Congrats on the kiddo Pilgrim! Also, I wanted to thank you for your pictured tutorial back on P9 relating to building your own coax cables. I used it last night and it worked like a charm!

Thanks! Glad it helped. I just took the pictures - the text came from the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPowers View Post

In addition to the compression tool you should get one of these if your doing allot of cables.



It strips the cable all in one step and to the right dimensions.

Good suggestion.
post #483 of 523
Hmmm. Any idea if those can be bought through Radio Shack or HD?
post #484 of 523
Yes, I bought mine at HD a few years back and they had the best price for them. Something like $6.00 bucks.
post #485 of 523
Looks like a quick HD run for me after work then... hey that would be number 75!
post #486 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan View Post

Looks like a quick HD run for me after work then... hey that would be number 75!

I've lost track. FYI the stripper is adjustble to different cable types make sure it's set up for your cable type. RG6, RG6 quad, etc...
post #487 of 523
You can get them at radio shack for like 1/2 of what the depot will cost you.
post #488 of 523
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I don't know about that mastiff34,

Unless they jack up the prices online or unless HD has jacked up their price since I bought mine.
post #489 of 523
Either way, I have a RS right around the corner from me at work. Much easier to run out during lunch than it is to drive to HD for just the one item.
post #490 of 523
This was the T&B stripper/compression tool i have used on my new house and HT room. Well over 200 ends so far and still working great.

http://technicalconnectionsinc.store...eitsnnses.html
post #491 of 523
Thread Starter 
We move out in less than 10 days, so I took some final pics.

Here we go:

Other way

more:

more

More

more

More

more
post #492 of 523
Thread Starter 
Some details

Most of the house is brushed chrome, but we use gold / brass in the HT. So we got two door knobs and melded them together:

The HVAC return is a passive baffle box, lined with duct liner, etc, into the furnace/utility room. Worked well. The roomm is a bit warmer than the rest of the basement, but not over powering.
Inside(boring):

In the utility room

The entrance:

The rack:

back of rack:

some wires "organized" - not as pretty as some here, not a war zone:


I have watche about 2 dozen movies in the last month or so. Had Netflix kicked up to the 4-out plan. Will definitely miss the space.
post #493 of 523
Great Space!

Safe travels and best of look with the new little one. Can't wait to see Theatre 2.0 !!
post #494 of 523
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 View Post

Great Space!

Safe travels and best of look with the new little one. Can't wait to see Theatre 2.0 !!

Thanks on both counts.

We closed on the new house on Tuesday. The builder really did do nice work, we are very pleased. The closing included a mini-standoff when the realtor tried to slide in a $150 "transaction fee" in. As if their 5-figure commission was insufficient. After a while they folded their tent and waived the fee.

I finally got time to measure the unallocated basement space, and its pretty pitiful. Finished space would be about 12.5 by 14.5 feet (9' ceilings though). The electric panel and door are placed where the screen would need to go on the long wall. Which might be better for seating (one wide row). Can anyone think of rooms where the screen went on the long wall instead of the short wall?
post #495 of 523
Was this your realtor or the builder's, were they trying to charge you? Real shady.

I've seen a couple rooms set up the long way but typically the seating is very close to the rear wall. Good luck on the move.
post #496 of 523
Thread Starter 
Believe it or not, my realtor. Or the one assigned to me by the relo company.
post #497 of 523
Thread Starter 
Settling into the new house is a pain in the butt. Moving the AV stuff I retained to a den setup is a PITA. I found a great deal on a salamander synergy stand, open box at amazon, but it went missing in the warehouse. Really ticked me off since it was half price.

On a similar note, people looking for a rack for a non dedicated space should search amazon for:

Salamander Synergy 402 in black on black for a 4 tall rack for $350.

Also, working through a few integration issues as my den equipment doesn't do HDMI audio (one of the yamaha YSP virtual surround units), and I have many more sources or want a few more.

House is nice though. Put in the mailbox the other day. Not as fun as HT projects.
post #498 of 523
Thread Starter 
Looks like an e-bay seller ripped me off. No remote after a week, and feedback from hell. Started my disputes. I assume I will get my money back, but annoying.

See the feedback on the seller lizzieflier if curious. About 2 dozen people burned so far.
post #499 of 523
Hey Dave, How would you rate the whole Relo thing overall? We fly out to LA tomorrow for our first look around Northridge. Can't say I am looking forward to the whole thing. Never moved with movers before either.
McCall
post #500 of 523
Thread Starter 
This was my second relo.

Move is definitely a four letter word. It really distrupts your life, settling into a new place, putting your life in limbo, etc. That said, professional movers are a real nice perk. At a minimum, they come and pack, and haul. On the whole, I think they move most things well. That said these movers did great, the prior ones dinged up a couple chairs. Not ideal, but better than moving it yourself.

On the whole, if its the right opportunity, it can be worth it. But unless you hate where you are, it comes at a cost.
post #501 of 523
I certainly don't hate where I am since it is HOME but I do hate where we are going. LA is probably the last place on earth or at least in the U.S. that I would CHOOSE to live.

But them is the breaks! Move complicated by the fact I am not taking everything with me and some of what I want is in one house and some in another. So I have to move things and somehow get them together apart from what is not being moved.

Still don't know if I want to try to do some sort of erzats theater in new rented home or not. Then there is how much of my equipment to take and how much stays in the theater here, gathering dust.
post #502 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

Hey Dave, How would you rate the whole Relo thing overall? We fly out to LA tomorrow for our first look around Northridge. Can't say I am looking forward to the whole thing. Never moved with movers before either.
McCall


I've relocated with three separate companies over the last 20 years. The first two moves were the best, but I had the least amount of stuff. The last move was wonderful as well. All used professional movers and packers. The last move included temporary housing, food money, and packing services.

When we moved across town 3 years ago, we did it on our own. Now *THAT'S* the hardest way to go. I'm not sure that I would do that one again...

Moving at this point would certaintly be really hard. I don't envy people like Dave or you. After all of that work getting the theater built and tuned, it would be really hard to leave it. I guess there's the part of looking forward to making significant changes in the next iteration, but it would still be quite overwhelming.

Good luck with the househunting trip and the move!

CJ
post #503 of 523
Dave,

Sorry to hear about your ebay troubles. What kind of remote were your getting?
post #504 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

I've relocated with three separate companies over the last 20 years. The first two moves were the best, but I had the least amount of stuff. The last move was wonderful as well. All used professional movers and packers. The last move included temporary housing, food money, and packing services.

When we moved across town 3 years ago, we did it on our own. Now *THAT'S* the hardest way to go. I'm not sure that I would do that one again...

Moving at this point would certaintly be really hard. I don't envy people like Dave or you. After all of that work getting the theater built and tuned, it would be really hard to leave it. I guess there's the part of looking forward to making significant changes in the next iteration, but it would still be quite overwhelming.

Good luck with the househunting trip and the move!

CJ


heheheh, don't say that to EBR, I think he loves the moves and the new improved HT each time, hehehe...
post #505 of 523
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Dave,

Sorry to hear about your ebay troubles. What kind of remote were your getting?

It was a Harmony One. The new fangled repackage of the 880. I have the 880, and got used to its quirks, but I broke the USB port, and am swapping out equipment in the new house (new DVR most notably), and need a new one. We have another baby coming to destroy my stuff, I should just get the 550 model for $60 instead. The seller just disapearred, which actually makes me wonder if they got sick rather than a cut and run. We'll see.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 View Post

heheheh, don't say that to EBR, I think he loves the moves and the new improved HT each time, hehehe...

I definitely have a few improvements in mind. Stuck with a smaller room since the basement was partially finished, and I won't want to redo the whole thing. I have been watching the star ceilings going up with a great deal of interest.

I agreed to a one year moratorium, even though it is killing me watching the celtics in the finals on a 30" screen. I was always a much bigger celtics fan than any other team.
post #506 of 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim View Post

Believe it or not, my realtor. Or the one assigned to me by the relo company.

Come on Dave...don't you understand protocol? That's the victory dinner!
I'm glad you got it worked out. I HATE moving...
post #507 of 523
Thread Starter 
If I am going to bankroll the party, I like to be invited. . .
post #508 of 523
Dave:

I just wanted to drop you a note and let you know that the Green Glue and the clips that you sent along were put into use a few weeks ago. I got the ceiling up and did the green glue thing too. The space is certainly coming along nicely, but I'm stuck in the quagmire of drywall mudding and taping.

Man, I should have hired that stuff out...

Anyhow, thanks again, and I can't wait to see what Pilgrim's Pit 2.0 is like!

CJ
post #509 of 523
So starting a new build soon.
post #510 of 523
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carboranadum View Post

Anyhow, thanks again, and I can't wait to see what Pilgrim's Pit 2.0 is like!

CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg View Post

So starting a new build soon.

Thanks CJ & Don. Pilgrim's Electric Boogaloo (like the sump pit in the 1st theater, the electric panel is in the space for version 2.0) is under an agreed family moratorium of about a year or so. We have been trying to settle in to the new house, and we are expecting a new baby in October. Just found out it will be a boy, so we will be lucky enough to have one of each. We were quitting at 2 either way, but its a nice surprise.

That said, I watched my first movie since the move on the 30" crt on Saturday, its definitely not the same. Need to crank up the sketchup and start working on design issues soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home