or Connect

post #1 of 476
This movie isn't out yet, but has anyone caught the trailer? It looks amazing.
post #2 of 476
Yeah, I did. Looks like a video game with 90% CGI - I'm not interested.
post #3 of 476
Looks like it was filmed like Sin City...

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_%28film%29
post #4 of 476
If you did not enjoy Sin City then this type of movie is not for you.
post #5 of 476
I saw the trailer last night and thought the movie looked very interesting. Of course, I'll wait for the DVD.

larry
post #6 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx View Post

Looks like it was filmed like Sin City...

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_%28film%29

But where Sin City was shot on digital video, apparently 300 is being shot on film.
post #7 of 476
The story interests me; however, the trailers make the movie look a bit too "hip," which seems incongruous to the subject matter.
post #8 of 476
There's a reason it looks like it does; Frank Miller wrote "Sin City" and "300." They are both styled after the look of the graphic novels.

I'm very excited about this one, I just hope they don't actually overuse the slow-motion action scenes in the actual movie like they do in the trailer. Cheap way of making a 75 minute movie last two hours.
post #9 of 476
DVD, hopefully it'll be out on an HD format soon after Now that Rome is back on, I'm ready for more classical (era) action.
post #10 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

The story interests me; however, the trailers make the movie look a bit too "hip," which seems incongruous to the subject matter.

I took it as looking more 'mythological' rather than hip.
post #11 of 476
Looks like a new way to interpit LOTR. Small group of heros massively outnumbered by their rivals who seem to have a few mutated soldiers.
post #12 of 476
More of a interpretation of a historic battle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae
post #13 of 476
Frank Miller's story is based loosely on Thermopylae. Of course in his story there are non human creatures. I'm certainly looking forward to it. There should be some great scenes and a body count to die for (pun intended)
post #14 of 476
trailer looked like kraup! Looked as if everything was blue screen with extremely dark `open' looking CG...
post #15 of 476
Gideon also conquered a colossal army with only 300 footmen.
post #16 of 476
Not looking forward to this movie at all. 80% of the trailer is in slow motion (and about 95% of the action sequences) which leads me to believe the entire movie will be like that. I wouldn't be able to sit through that.
post #17 of 476
looks like one big mtv music video orgy.
post #18 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Telling that story on film would not require the kind of CGI to be employed in this Frank Miller adaptation...
post #19 of 476
Hey I didn't care about the CGI in Sin City and I loved that movie.

Bring on 300! Who doesn't want to see Spartans kicking azz and taking names?
The body count is sure to please.
post #20 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

What a coincidence...

This trailer looks like a comic book/graphic novel if there ever has been one.

CAN'T WAIT!
post #21 of 476
I dunno...saw 300 Spartans at a young age and have been fascinated by Sparta ever since. So maybe I'm too much into the actual battle to get into this, but it just sounds strange...On the other hand I loved both The Dark Knight and Sin City, so maybe FM can pull it off. But to me it sorta sounds like putting aliens in the middle of the battle of Gettysburg...whats the point?
post #22 of 476
oh it's got gerard butler in it too..he's box office poison. He just had a beowulf movie go straight to DVD.
post #23 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

oh it's got gerard butler in it too..he's box office poison. He just had a beowulf movie go straight to DVD.

My wife loves the guy...I kind of like him too. Also, enjoyed the Beowulf movie, so I'll rent this sucker for sure.
post #24 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

enjoyed the Beowulf movie

Me too.
post #25 of 476
Who can't get into a movie about Spartans. The modern day equivalent to the Task Force Ranger. Go Army!

Anyways.... this has enough fantasy in it to get consumer attention. Imagine the extras they could put on the DVD/HD disc. A little backstory on the real Leonidas. Maybe info on Spartan tactics or at least the ab workout that gave those bastards the six packs

And it's Rated R. Aren't we tired of kiddy movies? I wanna see some bodies stacked up.

Let the bodies hit the floor.
post #26 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Who can't get into a movie about Spartans. The modern day equivalent to the Task Force Ranger. Go Army!

Anyways.... this has enough fantasy in it to get consumer attention. Imagine the extras they could put on the DVD/HD disc. A little backstory on the real Leonidas. Maybe info on Spartan tactics or at least the ab workout that gave those bastards the six packs

And it's Rated R. Aren't we tired of kiddy movies? I wanna see some bodies stacked up.

Let the bodies hit the floor.

The theatrical trailer is on the website, and I believe I saw a huge pile of bodies in the background. Really huge actually... You should be quite happy.

The theatrical trailer shows more than just slow-motion and is longer then the TV spot.

I like the fact it looks like some mythology might be mixed in (the weird creatures). Should be a crazy action flick
post #27 of 476
I watched the trailer (both actually) and both involve slow motion during virtually every action sequence. Not my idea of a good movie, while it may appeal to others.
post #28 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Imagine the extras they could put on the DVD/HD disc.

I can definitely imagine!
With the additional storage capacity of 20 mbs of a Blu-Ray over a HD-DVD disc, there will be room for all kinds of great extras!
post #29 of 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

I watched the trailer (both actually) and both involve slow motion during virtually every action sequence. Not my idea of a good movie, while it may appeal to others.

I agree with you. The movie looks good to me though, from the trailer, if it isn't all slow motion. There are many cases where trailers contain shots that aren't even in the theatrical release. I hope the slow motion is just done to show off the sfx.

In regard to the dialog, , it's hard for for a few snippets of patriotic fervor to have much impact without the knowledge of what transpired before. Knowing Frank Miller, I'm sure it's a bit "over the top"; but this is an action movie, not Terms of Endearment.

Looking forward to a little Spartan justice!

Art
post #30 of 476
Looks good, I loved Sin City, so this one is a must.
  Return Home