or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat › Optoma Introduces Its Own Anamorphic Lens
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Optoma Introduces Its Own Anamorphic Lens

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
January 12, 2007
Optoma Introduces Its Anamorphic Lens For A True Cinematic 2.35:1 Image From Home Theater Projectors

The Optoma Anamorphic Lens Kit Offers a Complete Widescreen Solution; The Optoma BX-AL133 will be available in February 2007 for an estimated street price of $3,999 through authorized Optoma dealers.

http://www.widescreenreview.com/news...l.php?id=12645

Optoma, one of the leading manufacturers of digital projection and display devices, today introduced its Anamorphic Lens option for home theater projectors. The BX-AL133 anamorphic lens by Optoma is a complete kit that allows users to easily create a super-widescreen, 2.35:1 image in their own home theater setting.

The Optoma BX-AL133 anamorphic lens converts a native 16:9 image to 2.35:1 cinema widescreen image. The lens eliminates the black bars commonly visible on a 16:9 screen when playing a DVD formatted to the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Optoma's anamorphic lens is fully layered with optical coatings that minimize chromatic aberrations and astigmatism, and is made up of 100% glass. The BX-AL133 lens also generates a brighter image - up to 30 percent - than without the lens, due to the fact that all the light energy and pixels are used for the entire 2.35:1 image.

Ideally suited to work with the Optoma HD81 home theater projection system, the BX-AL133 anamorphic lens is fully motorized and works with the HD81's 12V trigger control. The HD81's Auto235 mode can automatically detect between 16:9 or 2.35:1 content and format the image, while moving the lens to the correct position in a few seconds.

When using the BX-AL133 with other home theater projectors, the lens positions and image aspect ratios can be changed by using the IR remote control.

The complete kit includes the anamorphic lens, a bracket for the lens, ceiling mount adapter plate, a motorized, remote-control sled for the lens, as well as upgradeable firmware.

The Optoma BX-AL133 will be available in February 2007 for an estimated street price of $3,999 through authorized Optoma dealers. Optoma is also offering an HD81/BX-AL133 bundle for an estimated street price of $9,999.
post #2 of 28
Excellent - hopefully this encourages other manufacturers [such as Projection Design] to do likewise.. and hopefully drive down the price of Runco's over priced solution....
post #3 of 28
It looks like its starting to catch on.

Ben
post #4 of 28
The PerfectVision Magazine (Jan. 07). Has an article on the Optoma HD81 and the Lens. Looks like they are using the Panamorph UH380 and Sled.
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr View Post

The PerfectVision Magazine (Jan. 07). Has an article on the Optoma HD81 and the Lens. Looks like they are using the Panamorph UH380 and Sled.

Good on Shawn (and Panamorph) if he has sealed a deal like this with a major projector manufacture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post

The lens eliminates the black bars commonly visible on a 16:9 screen when playing a DVD formatted to the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Its not Horta's fault here as he didn't write the original article, but I wish they would not make such statements. The "scaling" removes the black bars, not the anamorphic lens...

Mark
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carr View Post

The PerfectVision Magazine (Jan. 07). Has an article on the Optoma HD81 and the Lens. Looks like they are using the Panamorph UH380 and Sled.

Are you sure? I don't have the hard copy of this issue at hand, but I downloaded the electronic PDF version from their site.

The only reference I found regarding Panamorph was in relation to the BenQ W10000 stating the Panamorph lens and sled was optional at $5000. I didn't find any reference tied to the Optoma HD-81 review.

I'll check later at home to see if the magazine has something different.
post #7 of 28
I like the Auto235 mode. That makes it stand above even the Runco all-in-one solution I saw...
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

Are you sure? I don't have the hard copy of this issue at hand, but I downloaded the electronic PDF version from their site.

The only reference I found regarding Panamorph was in relation to the BenQ W10000 stating the Panamorph lens and sled was optional at $5000. I didn't find any reference tied to the Optoma HD-81 review.

I'll check later at home to see if the magazine has something different.


Keith and to all AVS Forum. It was not the Optoma HD-81 that I saw I missquoted it was the BenQ W10000 and Panamorph together..
Steve..(Sorry about that)
post #9 of 28
I too saw the HD81 and 235 lens at CES . The Rep said that it was a Schnieder Lens(?) . Don't know for sure as there wasn't any literature at the booth .

Scott.........
post #10 of 28
the person at Optoma I spoke with said it was a Panamorph lens.
post #11 of 28
Did it not have a Panamorph logo?

Mark
post #12 of 28
This is good news. I agree that it is going to start making the other brands think about offering 2:35/40 solutions. Hopefully we will see more of this soon.
post #13 of 28
Very cool! I was just remarking to an Optoma engineer that it was nice to see he realized the anamorphic lens implications of proper scaling in a pj...I see they're putting it to use.
post #14 of 28
It is the Panamorph UH380/M380 and a mounting base for the HD81 and sled. Originally, at
CEDIA, Optoma showed the Schneider, but once Shawn Kelly brought the UH380/M380 to
Optoma's demo room, it was a done deal. They compared the UH380 to the Schneider, ISCO II and III, and found that the Panamorph had less CA than any of them, it was sharper than the ISCO II, a draw with ISCO III and just a bit softer than the Schneider, in their opinions.

I have the Panamorph/HD81 setup and can confirm that the UH380 does
not add ANY CA and any loss of sharpness is pretty subtle. The lens is so good that I
think many people would be happy using it in a fixed mode and selecting "4:3" aspect
ratio to watch horizontally expanded 16:9 material.

The Panamorph lens and motorized sled/mounting plate are available for $3K through Optoma when bundled with the new HD81LV projector/scaler. Not sure if it's bundled
with the HD81.

I was the first to have the C08 HD81 firmware in the country, which added the "AutoScope"
automatic 2:35 aspect ratio sensing(now called "Auto235") feature which does the vertical
expansion scaling and triggers the motorized sled to bring the anamorphic lens in. In the
HD81 menus, you select whether or not you are using an anamorphic lens and if it's fixed
or moveable. It's a pretty slick setup. I was able to buy the HD81 and Panamorph(preorder special) setup
for under $10K and the HD81 price has gone down since then!

Jeff Regan
post #15 of 28
One of the problems I have with sliding my isco II back and forth is the focus changes slightly with the lens in the path vs not. I know most people just leave the lens in the path and change the scaling on the fly to format correctly. I've ran that way for years, but with true 1080p content available now for 16:9 I'm throwing resolution away with the lens in place while watching that ratio. I've thought of making an automatic slide, but with the required manual focus adjustment it seems a bit silly.

Do the integrated setups like the HD81 require focus adjustment? If so, is it manual task, or does the PJ allow for focus presets that are used with when the lens is engaged?
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Regan View Post

They compared the UH380 to the Schneider, ISCO II and III, and found that the Panamorph had less CA than any of them,

The Isco 3 has an adjustment ring for different throws to maximise the lens for CA. Prism based add-ons do not. It is impossible for any prism add-on to out perform the Isco 3 lens in several areas. Prism add-ons can perform well within a limited range. It can do well compared to the Isco at its optimal throw and thats the condition it was probably view under.

This is not meant to be-little prism add-ons I am simply stating fact.
To show no bias I own the Isco 3 yet I am using a Prism based add-on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Regan View Post

, in their opinions.

post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

The Isco 3 has an adjustment ring for different throws to maximise the lens for CA. Prism based add-ons do not. It is impossible for any prism add-on to out perform the Isco 3 lens in several areas. Prism add-ons can perform well within a limited range. It can do well compared to the Isco at its optimal throw and thats the condition it was probably view under.

Alan,

It is very possible that the ISCO III was not optimized as far as throw if the users
weren't aware of the adjustment ring's purpose. They told me the Schneider had
better light transmission efficiency, but just a couple of percentage points.

The Isco III and Schneiders are amazing pieces of glass, but the $1500 preorder price spent on the Panamorph UH380 would qualify it as a real bargain, it's still
a great deal at $2500 MSRP, IMO.

Too me, the idea of a 1080p display coupled with a motorized anamorphic setup
for under $10K is truly a breakthrough for home theater enthusiasts.

Jeff Regan
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Regan View Post

Alan,

It is very possible that the ISCO III was not optimized as far as throw if the users
weren't aware of the adjustment ring's purpose. They told me the Schneider had
better light transmission efficiency, but just a couple of percentage points.

The Isco III and Schneiders are amazing pieces of glass, but the $1500 preorder price spent on the Panamorph UH380 would qualify it as a real bargain, it's still
a great deal at $2500 MSRP, IMO.

Too me, the idea of a 1080p display coupled with a motorized anamorphic setup
for under $10K is truly a breakthrough for home theater enthusiasts.

Jeff Regan

Jeff it is possible the adjustment on the Isco 3 was not set properly. I had a visit from an optics engineer who worked for NASA here a few weeks ago. He has a test rig for sharpness etc. I learned a lot while he was here. I thought I had my Isco 3 dialed in but he must have better eyes then me because it was amazing after he was done. To adjust for CA he uses a simple white piece of paper and holds it to the screen and moves it out a foot then two and back. I am sure he is looking for optimal focus and CA at different distance. He then dials in the lens and repeats the procedure until it is perfect. Took about 10 minutes. Just putting up the lens does not do it justice.
He also explained to me some basics between the designs. I am sure he and Shawn would have a great afternoon together.
My praise for the Isco is targeted at all Prism lens but as I said the Prism lens will get you very close. That is why I am using one and I am picky.

The Schneider is a great lens as well but it does not have the aperture and the price is equal to the Isco 3.

The preorder price for Shawn's lens was a very very good offer and a winner on all accounts. Adding further to the already good offer is Shawn's support and presence on the forum. His drive is rewarded by the support of display manufactures.

Glad to see progress still being made with lens options. We have it so much better then we did just 3 years ago.
post #19 of 28
Does this lens in any way differ form the standard UH380 ?
post #20 of 28
As I read the article, the lens+sled is $3999. The HD81 currently is selling for $3699 from people that know PJs. The article also says a "bundled package" will be $9999. $3999 + $3699 does not equal $9999. Am I missing something?

At first I thought this thread said PJ+lens was $3999. Too bad I misinterpreted that.
post #21 of 28
just about every company is using the panny lens. The Schnieder lens is way more expensive. Its priced around or even higher than the Isco III
post #22 of 28
I have the BX-AL133 and it does not differ from the UH-380 as I also had one to test for a week or so. I also got a price that is under the 3K mark for A stock new. Click on my 2.35:1 thread and go to last page for pix.
post #23 of 28
Quote:


I have the BX-AL133 and it does not differ from the UH-380 as I also had one to test for a week or so. I also got a price that is under the 3K mark for A stock new. Click on my 2.35:1 thread and go to last page for pix.
Today 05:15 PM

Excellent ! Thanks a lot.
post #24 of 28
so uhm what is this? some kind of an enlarger lens that masks and "eliminates" blackbars?
post #25 of 28
I am very happy I found this thread. Thanks Guys! I ordered my Optoma lens kit and 125'' wide Carada BW today (after receiving excellent (Pre-)Sales support from Carada, Panamorph and IntegrityHT). I'll pair them with my Ruby and VP50.

I should get it all next week. Looks like I will have a busy weekend in my HT coming up. Can't wait .
___
Axel
post #26 of 28
The UH380 lens lists for 3k and the motorized sled also lists for 3k. Add the 3-4k projector and there is your 9k list price.

Ifyou guys are getting the lens and motorized sled for 3k, that is truly an unbelievable deal.

JVC is also selling the UH380 and sled for the RS2, plus a DVDO scaler.
post #27 of 28
are there any other scalers or projectors with auto scope sensing and triggering? Tie that in with a masking system and it would be a real boon for people that don't want to have to figure out what each movie's ratio happens to be.

Dan
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Regan View Post

I have the Panamorph/HD81 setup and can confirm that the UH380 does not add ANY CA and any loss of sharpness is pretty subtle. The lens is so good that I think many people would be happy using it in a fixed mode and selecting "4:3" aspect ratio to watch horizontally expanded 16:9 material. Jeff Regan

I am new to CIH, If I go with the fixed and use 4:3 ratio on 16X9 content does the image stretch out to fill the 2:35 screen horizontally or will there be bars on the sides? I have only seen the runco that stretches just the outside edges?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › 2.35:1 Constant Image Height Chat › Optoma Introduces Its Own Anamorphic Lens