Originally Posted by lindend
I am sorry for the problems you are experiencing. You indicate that you think Pace needs to improve its handling of the issue. We have acknowledged there is a bug here and have been trying to replicate it in our labs (so far no luck).
How do you think our handling of the situation could be improved?
Thank you for taking the heat from frustrated users (like me) :-)
Since you asked, I do have some ideas, - I should be charging a consulting fee
Pace could ask Comcast for some of the boxes that were returned because of the crashing/freezing. Then Pace can take half of them in their labs for post-mortem and see if they can find the cause of the problems. The other half are used in trying to reproduce the problem. This will be telling either way: If the problem can be reproduced, then this is good. If the problem cannot be reproduced with the freezing/crashing boxes, then it points to the problem perhaps being linked to teh Comcast system. Then Pace takes these boxes and connects them to the Comcast systems in areas where users have reported having these problems, and then tries to see what is happening.
Also Pace/Comast could find volunteers that are having these problems and test/diagnose/experiment/monitor the boxes that are having the problems.
Originally Posted by lindend
I don't see any evidence that there is a file system bug in your reports. There definitely is a software bug, but the symptoms are not consistent with a file system issue. I realize that from your perspective it may appear this during continued investigation into the issue.
Well the reasons I think it is a file system issue are:
1) This error message at freeze/crash time: Cannot delete while file in use, close file and try again, Code: CIU
2) The freezes/crashes always happen at transitions between one pre-record program to another, end of playback, stopping/exiting playback, from live tuner to scheduled recording, and changing channels (this only with my 3rd box)
3) _sometimes_ deleting a program does not reclaim its space right away. It may take a few hours or a couple of reboots before the space is returned.
4) This only happened a couple of times: DVR kept giving me a CIU (error deleting file) error every time I changed the channel
5) Pre-recorded programs adjacent in the listing (sorted by time) to the program that the crash happened on have their "tape position" adjusted all the way to the end of the program, even though that program was not played.
6) In some occasions, after a crash/freeze/reboot, one upcoming scheduled program disappears from the list of programs to be recorded.
*) This I am only mentioning in case it might be helpful: When a recording ends or when playback ends, and the live buffer picks up, the green PLAY arrow on the front display is on, even though I have not touched the remote. This also happens when going to the background tuner. Pressing the LIVE button makes the green PLAY arrow on the front display disappear, although the picture continues to play without jumping ahead.