or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Denver, CO - OTA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denver, CO - OTA - Page 7

post #181 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlag View Post

Is it just me or is everyone experiencing a very slow AVSForum with server timeouts today?

I've been seeing the same thing, so I assume the problem is on their end. This seems to have been happening more often over the past few months than before, probably due to the explosion of interest in HD. I just hope the site owners are making lots of money off their ads so they can keep up with the demands on their server and bandwidth.
post #182 of 8459
Not a moan or whine on any of the Anti-tower websites as of yet. They used to be right on top of current events... not anymore.
post #183 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxothuk View Post

Indeed, I've been predicting as much ever since S.4092 passed. And I won't be surprised if LCG adds some spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down, even though they aren't obligated to do so.

And as HDJello noted, at that point Judge Jackson either dismissed based on the new vote or dismissed based on the LCG motion (which Jeffco no longer bothers to contest). Once construction starts in earnest the game is REALLY over - no court is going to make them tear it down.

Judge Jackson needs to address the motion. Deny or accept the motion. It is that simple. We are at one month and counting with the motion in limbo. Also, it has been always ironic that Jeffco would make any attempt to contest a motion to dismiss a lawsuit in which they are co-defendants with LCG. Jeffco is not the plaintiff!

It is interesting that they are calling a meeting with all due haste for March (at the latest ha ha) to discuss the now irrelevant zoning issue. Amazing! Maybe it is a meeting to absorb all the (s)care anger over s.4092. The tower should be well under way by March. Hey BCC. The political games are over. Didn't you get the memo?

Don
post #184 of 8459
Speaking of Super Bowl Weekend.
How many of you remember back to the first year the Super Bowl was on OTA here in Denver??? Remember all the posts we had to help (if memory serves correctly) KCNC (CBS) send their signal to KRMA's brand new HD OTA transmitter on the roof of the RP. I remember that morning when they first clicked on the signal about 3 hours before the game and those of us in the forum reported back to their engineers when we were able to pick up and lock on to their signal. Anyone remember what year that was?? 2001?? I think, but I wouldn't want to swear to that. Anyone with a better memory?? Ah those were the days! Just look how far we have come. There are now 5 low power stations on that building.


Actually Jetlag, I don't think you can use the term 'early' adaptors having to do with anything relating to Denver HD OTA. I think more of the term used to describe the tail wagon that follows a bike race to pick up the last place cyclist if he falls...the 'Lanten Rouge' (apologies for my French spelling)
post #185 of 8459
John,

My DTV timeline has KRMA going on-the-air approx May of 2000, so, it was most likely the Feb 2001 Bowl game.
post #186 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

John,

My DTV timeline has KRMA going on-the-air approx May of 2000, so, it was most likely the Feb 2001 Bowl game.

That's the way I remember it too. Those really were some fun days with the 'new' technology. I am curious how many of us were in the thread and remember that year?

BTW, the other thing I remember about that was that KRMA had to get special permission from the FCC to telecast a commercial broadcast (remember they are a PBS station). As I recall, they told us it was the first time in history that a public station was allowed to broadcast commercial television.
post #187 of 8459
If you look at the FCC database for KRMA and click on the last application, dated 12-07-06 and scroll down to the last paragraph at the bottom of page 2, the second sentence in that paragraph seems to indicate that KRMA had a digital signal up and running in 1999. If that's the case, then maybe the first Super Bowl in HD in Denver via KRMA was in 2000?
post #188 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartinko View Post

You hit the nail on the head. The reason we see all of this and will see more is the fact that so many people now DVR the shows to watch later when they can skip the commercials. It also has the added benefit of encouraging you to buy the DVD version of the show at a later date so you can see it 'the way it was meant to be seen', or the way they should have shown it in the first place.

At the same time, cable and satellite Co.'s are pushing the DVR's, then pushing content out to the boxes and inserting ads to the guides and all. Like Martinko said, what's driving the targeted adds are the very boxes that are enabling viewers to avoid them. So the incentive to make sure people see these adds is stronger and stronger, by putting ads in places viewers can't avoid them. What I've seen a lot of more recently are CW and MyNetwork affiliates running crawls at the bottom of the screen for, no credit, bad credit, repo, used car lot "sales" like it's some kind of once in a lifetime event they are holding. But you see it all the time, so far it's only been during syndicated programming and not during primetime network feeds. But their time and temp bug starts off with a "Churches" logo then flips over to their logo's time and temp. Like I need to know what time it is and the temperature at the station, well over a hundred miles away from where I live..

Just like the useless Dow Closing numbers they have sponsors on during the newscasts. Like it's some kind of useful service they are providing to the public, I think in this day and age of broadband I can find out how my stock is doing, verses the three or four indexes they show me giving only a rough idea of how the market fared that day. Totally useless, if I'm going to make changes I'm not consulting the TV station for the best info.

The weather casts are almost becoming a moot point; I just consult one of the many sources on the internet before I leave for work in the morning, that's enough for me to make a decision. Plus whenever it snows 2 inches, even a dusting down here in New Mexico all the stations go crazy about weather coverage, like it's some kind of national emergency, with all the live reports telling you had bad it is, and not to drive out to the highway like they did to setup the Live shot. With the same snow shots you always see, and the same interviews of people saying how much it has snowed and their going to pick up salt or a snow shovel. You could literally just run the same stuff from last times snow coverage and get the same results. Without the expense of sending out the reporters and equipment. This kind of coverage is only valid in the case of an honest blizzard and situation where the public safety is concerned, and I'm sure the public officials will inform all the media when it's necessary to clear the roads, and shut down the city and services. Tell me something I don't already know about! Yeah it's snowing outside, I can see that from my window.

I was not in Colorado for the two large snow storms that happened at the end of the moth in December, I visited between snow storms and just barely missed the second one. I could see the importance of the broadcasters giving out critical info during those two events, but that is on going coverage, not some half hour newscast that finishes, and you won't see them tell the next cast. But I hear the broadcasters did a good job of giving out info, and accurate info too. I guess this became a rant about the current state of the broadcast industry.
post #189 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Oooops, I stuck in the the wrong date by mistake. (It's now 746, must be a leap year thing) Check here again with the new date programmed in. (This based on it being midnight on Feb 17.)

http://www.santellaproductions.com/dtv/Onairdate.htm

Hey Ernie---my up & running date was 11/21/09, not ''08. I'm the pessimist. I anticipate Global Falling will occur (global warming causes tower falling) and the project will be 'way late.

Incidentally, the weather has wreaked havoc up here. My old D* dish/LNB froze up Thurs. overnight (-12), and finally restarted Fri after the sun hit it. And this wind keeps blowing my OTA antenna towards La Junta! I may have trouble getting HD during the game if it doesn't calm down.
post #190 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by donyoop View Post

Judge Jackson needs to address the motion. Deny or accept the motion. It is that simple. We are at one month and counting with the motion in limbo. Also, it has been always ironic that Jeffco would make any attempt to contest a motion to dismiss a lawsuit in which they are co-defendants with LCG. Jeffco is not the plaintiff!

It is interesting that they are calling a meeting with all due haste for March (at the latest ha ha) to discuss the now irrelevant zoning issue. Amazing! Maybe it is a meeting to absorb all the (s)care anger over s.4092. The tower should be well under way by March. Hey BCC. The political games are over. Didn't you get the memo?

Don

I'm still of suspicious mind on this... as they say, you can attract bees with honey. Is there no risk that LCG's participation sets a precident that gives the reins back to local control? Won't that go back to JJ to not only re-inforce the injunction, but to, in effect, state that the feds should stay out of this since LCG shows intent to work with the locals? I can't help but to see this as unwise, as any words spoken by LCG are likely to be taken out of context and made part of future testimony. I guess I'm always the pessimist when it comes to sCARE. I don't trust anyone that would be so quick to sell their integrity to gain office by appeasing a biased local group.
post #191 of 8459
Scott,
I fixed your date in the pool. You are pessimistic! And you're not the only one with Dish weather issues, check this out. I had a huge chunk of ice fall off the roof and take out my Dish and air-conditioner.

post #192 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

I had a huge chunk of ice fall off the roof and take out my Dish and air-conditioner.

Ernie sorry for your misfortune. Another reason for OTA.
post #193 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post

If you look at the FCC database for KRMA and click on the last application, dated 12-07-06 and scroll down to the last paragraph at the bottom of page 2, the second sentence in that paragraph seems to indicate that KRMA had a digital signal up and running in 1999. If that's the case, then maybe the first Super Bowl in HD in Denver via KRMA was in 2000?

No, I am 90% sure it was 2001, either that or 2002. I got my first HD RPTV in Jan. of 2000 just before that Super Bowl. I do know the only HD I had for the first six months or so was off of C-Band with the 4DTV HD decoder and a Unity Motion HD DVB. I am pretty sure that first year the Super Bowl was on ABC HD, which might have been available from the KMGH parking lot, but not from my place. That may have actually been the first OTA SB HD telecast in Denver, since I couldn't get KMGH, I don't recall when they went on the air, but it was early on. That was long before they moved to the RP, while they were using the coat hanger on the roof approach. ABC, CBS and PBS HD were only available on my C-Band dish until the RP antennas went up. I am pretty sure based upon recollection and Ernies comments that it was 2001 for the CBS/KRMA feed, but now that you mention it, that may not have actually been the first OTA HD SB here in Denver. I know there were some others on this thread who were on at the time who should also be able to firm things up. I was hoping to stir up a few reminiscences of the early days after JetLag's comment about early adaptors. The day of the CBS/KRMA telecast the KRMA engineers were on the thread taking reports as people were able to lock in from around town. Maybe if I wasn't so lazy I could go back in the thread and check, but I thought there were a few 'old timers' who would remember.


ErnieSorry to see what happened to your dish and AC, just in time for the SB. I sure hope you have other options for tomorrow. At least you won't need the AC for a while. A definite bummer for sure!

BTW, before you throw in the towel with your old dish, you might check, at that angle you may have access to the BBC Channel 1 from a European satellite.
post #194 of 8459
Quote:


BTW, before you throw in the towel with your old dish, you might check, at that angle you may have access to the BBC Channel 1 from a European satellite.

Funny guy! I do get some weird Brazillian Ping-pong though. I can get OTA up here.
post #195 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Funny guy! I do get some weird Brazillian Ping-pong though. ..........

That sounds waaaay better than the Super Bowl.........


Actually, I was pretty sure you got OTA at your place unless that antenna was blown down by the wind today.
post #196 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Scott,
I fixed your date in the pool. You are pessimistic! And you're not the only one with Dish weather issues, check this out. I had a huge chunk of ice fall off the roof and take out my Dish and air-conditioner.

Now you see why big towers (and many small ones) use "ice shields" over their important equipment and walkways .
post #197 of 8459
Still, no mention on the sCARE website. They must either be snowed-in or sippin' Margs at CaboWabo.

I'm off tomorrow, so I might just mosey on down to the TAJ and see what happens. I think its just going to be a Commissioner dog-and-pony show to be able to say we did take public input. I bet not many show. Anybody up for a good laugh?
post #198 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Still, no mention on the sCARE website. ................... I think its just going to be a Commissioner dog-and-pony show to be able to say we did take public input. I bet not many show..............

I suspect you are correct. Other than Deb and perhaps Al who still think of this issue as the monthly paycheck (I assume Deb is not working pro bono on all this, I would be glad to hear I am wrong) I think most of the people are smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall (or in this case the stone tablets coming down from the mountaintop). This one is over. The Commissioners simply want to provide themselves political cover, and this final formality should do it. Have fun at the 'show'.
post #199 of 8459
Guys,

John, as always, is right, KMGH had the first broadcast Super Bowl telecast in Denver.

It has been so long ago now that I may not have this part right, but I believe it was the St Louis Rams Super Bowl with Kurt Warner. I was able to get it locally OTA via a brand spanking new RCA DTC-100 and had some friends over to see it ( don't tell the NFL ). ABC was broadcasting Monday Night Football in HD that year, as an experiment, I believe. The next year, ABC stopped broadcasting Monday Night Football in HD. I think that CBS had the Super Bowl the following year and it was in HD also. Then Fox in their 480P Crap-o-vision the next, etc. and on and on.....

Jeff
post #200 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffden View Post

Guys,

John, as always, is right, KMGH had the first broadcast Super Bowl telecast in Denver.

It has been so long ago now that I may not have this part right, but I believe it was the St Louis Rams Super Bowl with Kurt Warner. I was able to get it locally OTA via a brand spanking new RCA DTC-100 and had some friends over to see it ( don't tell the NFL ). ABC was broadcasting Monday Night Football in HD that year, as an experiment, I believe. The next year, ABC stopped broadcasting Monday Night Football in HD. I think that CBS had the Super Bowl the following year and it was in HD also. Then Fox in their 480P Crap-o-vision the next, etc. and on and on.....

Jeff

Thanks for the reminder/confimation. You are right, ABC did do MNF in 1999, since I had the C-Band dish and a receiver which could pick up the affiliate feed, I was motivated to buy the HD set. The next year, 2000, ABC much to my dismay, dropped the HD MNF telecast for a season, and then CBS did the SB. Those long dead memory cells are starting to revive. I also remember the Faux 480p Crap-o-vision telecast. What a disaster that was. We've come a long way over the years. Now you can be almost 10 miles from the transmitter and have a shot at getting the game in HD. At least thanks to D* and E* and Comcast, this year many more have access to the HD version. Of course, no thanks to the LCG and KCNC.
post #201 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

Scott,
I fixed your date in the pool. You are pessimistic! And you're not the only one with Dish weather issues, check this out. I had a huge chunk of ice fall off the roof and take out my Dish and air-conditioner.

[

Jeepers Ernie - sorry about that. Homeowners should cover it right?
post #202 of 8459
This was a pretty good SB(especially if you were rooting for Indy).

However, I think that CBS blew it. Considering that this game is the highest viewership live televised sporting event, why didn't CBS clean the camera lenses during commercials? The raindrops weren't a big deal, but the continued blurry pictures were pathetic!

Da Bears
R.I.P.
....jc
post #203 of 8459
I agree, CBS blew it big time. They should have had a backup weather plan. Least of which, they should of had interns standing by the cameras with umbrellas or foamcore cards over the top of the up cameras and then have someone wiping the lens at least in commercials, if not between shots.

Pathethic!
post #204 of 8459
Anybody have reception problems? 4 is always a little weak where I am but it seemed worse today. Fortunately I could switch to my backup down here, KKTV-11
post #205 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by santellavision View Post

I agree, CBS blew it big time. They should have had a backup weather plan. Least of which, they should of had interns standing by the cameras with umbrellas or foamcore cards over the top of the up cameras and then have someone wiping the lens at least in commercials, if not between shots.

Pathethic!

Absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention the audio issues and all of the other stupid things that shouldn't happen especially during the Super Bowl.
post #206 of 8459
[QUOTE
However, I think that CBS blew it. Considering that this game is the highest viewership live televised sporting event, why didn't CBS clean the camera lenses during commercials? The raindrops weren't a big deal, but the continued blurry pictures were pathetic!
[/quote]

I Agree,
We were at a gathering where it was many of there first experience with HD. I can understand a drop or a few here and there but the entire game, Give me a break.
post #207 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBert View Post

I Agree,
We were at a gathering where it was many of there first experience with HD. I can understand a drop or a few here and there but the entire game, Give me a break.

I honestly felt that there were a few instances where they actually attempted to make the lenses seem more rainy then they were for effect. There was one instance when they returned from the half time show where the camera that was field level had panned and I'm not sure how to explain it but the droplets on the lens did NOT look random and rain-like as the rest of the cameras did. It looks like someone used a small spray bottle to spray the lens as the droplets were all VERY fine and substantially smaller than the rain drops in view of the others.

I even joked that my buddy just bought a 20yr old used car that was $800 that had two working windshield wipers and these $9k cameras were HD and the latest cutting edge technology and they could affix a single wiper to them.
post #208 of 8459
If CBS tried to create an effect by making the lenses more rainy, I'm not sure what they were attempting to accomplish, but in my opinion they certainly failed. I want a clear picture, and either artificially clouding cameras with water or not wiping water off the cameras was a special effect I can live without. At times, I thought I was watching the game on the KUSA Eisenhower Tunnel camera during a storm.

The sound on KCNC stuttered on many of the commercials, I suspect due to CBS's inability to get the 5.1 sound right. It was so bad, I switched to KWGN out of Cheyenne, who doesn't pass 5.1 sound.
post #209 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post

I honestly felt that there were a few instances where they actually attempted to make the lenses seem more rainy then they were for effect. There was one instance when they returned from the half time show where the camera that was field level had panned and I'm not sure how to explain it but the droplets on the lens did NOT look random and rain-like as the rest of the cameras did. It looks like someone used a small spray bottle to spray the lens as the droplets were all VERY fine and substantially smaller than the rain drops in view of the others.

Just guessing, but maybe the variations in how visible the droplets were depended on camera focus?
post #210 of 8459
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighmike View Post

The sound on KCNC stuttered on many of the commercials, I suspect due to CBS's inability to get the 5.1 sound right. It was so bad, I switched to KWGN out of Cheyenne, who doesn't pass 5.1 sound.

I think that was a KCNC issue, I was watching KKTV from the Springs and they do pass 5.1 and had no audio problems.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Denver, CO - OTA