or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Boston, MA - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 13

post #361 of 8546
Stupid question: Can you do a self install of a regular (non DVR) HD box?

Thanks,
Chris
post #362 of 8546
Call the office and ask. I have done a self install of a DVR!
post #363 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by argusarray View Post

Does anyone have any experience using Firewire to grab shows from the DCT-6200 or DCT-64xx to a PC in the Boston area? Apparently this works fine for channels without 5C encryption (generally local channels), but in some places other channels (TNT-HD, etc) are also not encrypted with 5C. There have been some reports recently that Comcast has been removing 5C encryption in various parts of the country (see mythtv user forums). I'm curious as to what channels are 5C encrypted in Boston.

Thanks,

Argus

Go here SourceForge Site to read all about it. I have done this successfully but it only worked once. If I were to venture into doing this again I would do a clean install of Windows and have minimal hardware installed in my machine, no scsi cards, video capture or tuner cards, just to eliminate any possibility of resource conflicts. I'd even consider not installing an ethernet card as the IEEE1394 port is actually a network port. Once you're experienced in working the setup I'd then start bringing in my necessary hardware and verify all works as expected with the firewire transport each time a hardware is added. Once you determine the limitations you'll know how to run the system effectively.

Now that I think of it...you're probably better off sinking $179 into this puppy AutumnWave On-Air HDTV USB 2.0. My work has one and the thing is really awesome. You plug your cable wire into it and the thing displays any unencrypted digital cable signal on your desktop. You can record video in digital quality. I haven't tried to burn from the recorded movies but it can do time shifting and scheduling so it's really cool. Check it out. Oh yeah, and with this device every once in a while you can tune someones VOD movie if it is unencrypted!!
post #364 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by akj27 View Post

Just wondering this, my cable box doesn't have hdmi, are there any comcast boxes that do have it? If so, how would I go about getting it?

Thanks.

The 3416 has HDMI, you can try and pick one up at your nearest depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argusarray View Post

Does anyone have any experience using Firewire to grab shows from the DCT-6200 or DCT-64xx to a PC in the Boston area? Apparently this works fine for channels without 5C encryption (generally local channels), but in some places other channels (TNT-HD, etc) are also not encrypted with 5C. There have been some reports recently that Comcast has been removing 5C encryption in various parts of the country (see mythtv user forums). I'm curious as to what channels are 5C encrypted in Boston.

Yes, I've been doing this for a while. Up until recently, only locals were available, but a few weeks ago, 5C was removed from Discovery, ESPN, TNT, INHD, etc. I've been away for 2 weeks, so I hope it's still that way....not sure if this is permanent or not.

I've had good luck with it, but every once in a while I get a funky recording on my 6412 that is garbled or comes across with some odd artifacts.
post #365 of 8546
Now that extra innings is back, I hear there is a free preview going on. But I couldn't find any games either of the last two nights, and there aren't any listed in the guide for the next couple days.

In the past these games have been on channels 621-630. Is this still the case? I did notice I now have access to the Center Ice games on these channels, so is this simply a matter of waiting for the hockey season to end this weekend or are the baseball games on some other channels?

My understanding that the $159 cost is only available during the free preview, which isn't much help when the free preview cannot be found.
post #366 of 8546
The free preview is up this morning.

Does anyone know how much a second digital box is ? I have digital classic.

-Ken
post #367 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

The free preview is up this morning.

Does anyone know how much a second digital box is ? I have digital classic.

-Ken

Sweet! Now I'm looking forward to the weekend even more.

I have Digital Classic and Preferred and my additional digital outlet costs a total of $7.50 (3.79 for the box, 0.20 for the remote and 3.51 for digital access). We have that in the bedroom, and they game me one of those new boxes that is really small, looks like the cable modem.
post #368 of 8546
Now if they would only add the missing "GAME" channels: 11 thru 14. There was baseball last night in EI, just not for us

"Game HD" would be nice too
post #369 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee353 View Post

Now if they would only add the missing "GAME" channels: 11 thru 14. There was baseball last night in EI, just not for us

"Game HD" would be nice too


Yeah, the HD games would be nice. But they'd never use up the bandwidth on a channel so few of their subscribers would pay for. I'm holding out hope iNHD will broadcast one or two games a week like they did last year.
post #370 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrown13 View Post

Yeah, the HD games would be nice. But they'd never use up the bandwidth on a channel so few of their subscribers would pay for. I'm holding out hope iNHD will broadcast one or two games a week like they did last year.

Since there is such a thing as GAME HD I would assume the Mojo games are a thing of the past.
post #371 of 8546
It looks like an HBO free preview is happening this weekend in addition to the MLB Extra Innings showcase.
post #372 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally1912 View Post

It looks like an HBO free preview is happening this weekend in addition to the MLB Extra Innings showcase.

Thanks for pointing it out. I just noticed it right this second after reading your post.
post #373 of 8546
Is it possible to get PIP with a Comcast box? Must the TV have to have 2 tuners?
post #374 of 8546
As a possible indicator of our future, here's an article on what Comcast Chicago is doing to switch customers to digital:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed
post #375 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobColby View Post

As a possible indicator of our future, here's an article on what Comcast Chicago is doing to switch customers to digital:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed

hopefully sooner rather then later. We have had FULL ADS for awhile now. Last fall I wanted to get a box for my second set,but would only take a DCT 700. The office said i could have a 2000 but I wasn't interested in the bulky box for a small 13".
post #376 of 8546
Does anyone know what uncrypted QAM channels are available in or around the Peabody, MA area?

I'd like to get a QAM tuner, but I don't want to spend money without knowing.

I talked to a Comcast guy, but he said that I'd have to try it and find out on my own since it's unsupported.

Has any one tried it?
post #377 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6933 View Post

Does anyone know what uncrypted QAM channels are available in or around the Peabody, MA area?

I'd like to get a QAM tuner, but I don't want to spend money without knowing.

I talked to a Comcast guy, but he said that I'd have to try it and find out on my own since it's unsupported.

Has any one tried it?

CBS-HD
ABC-HD
NBC-HD
FOX-HD
PBS-HD

And a bunch of non HD channels that are digital
post #378 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAiello View Post

CBS-HD
ABC-HD
NBC-HD
FOX-HD
PBS-HD

And a bunch of non HD channels that are digital

Time consuming but you can figure this out using your digital settop box. First off, anything that is a local channel should be unencrypted. As for anything other than the Basic tier you'd tune the settop to the channel in question. To find out if it is encrypted/unencrypted, turn off the box and within 2 seconds press select/ok. This brings up the diagnostics screen. Using the cursor arrows on your remote or the front of the box, arrow down to current channel status or channel status and then arrow right. On the resultant screen look for the acronym "clr" or "unk." If the channel is unencrypted it will display either of these two acronyms. If the channel is encrypted it should indicate "enc." It'll take a little while to do all of them but that's how you can figure it out. Make sure your tv is plugged into an outlet which is always on.
post #379 of 8546
I only have basic analog cable. I don't have a digital box. I was going to buy a QAM receiver and use that to get the local digital channels. Can I do this?
post #380 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6933 View Post

I only have basic analog cable. I don't have a digital box. I was going to buy a QAM receiver and use that to get the local digital channels. Can I do this?

Yes you will get all of the local channels, I forgot to mention you will get Channels 38-HD and 56-HD also
post #381 of 8546
Actually, my Samsung DLP set can pick up lots of QAM channels here in Natick, but it could be because they still run on the old HRC system. It can even pick up some of the analog's counterpart doubled on digital QAM as well. None of the pay channels mind you, but stuff like ASN, New England News, etc.
post #382 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6933 View Post

I only have basic analog cable. I don't have a digital box. I was going to buy a QAM receiver and use that to get the local digital channels. Can I do this?

If you're going to buy a tuner for your PC you could go two ways, which are both fair in price.
1)AutumnWave OnAir GT HDTV
2)KWORLD ATSC 115 PCI Interface PlusTV HD PCI-115 TV Tuner
Of course there are other devices out there but these two seem to be very reasonable in price and provide both Over the Air DTV and QAM DTV reception capabilities, which covers both ATSC TV delivery standards. They both handle NTSC in addition to ATSC so analog reception isn't an issue. Both allow recording and time shifting so that's a plus too. I have used the AutumnWave and it is a very impressive device. As for the KWorld, haven't gotten one yet. The KWorld with a price tag of less than $80 is really impressive. The AutumnWave provides portability but does require USB2.0 and has a price tag of $179.
post #383 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAiello View Post

Yes you will get all of the local channels, I forgot to mention you will get Channels 38-HD and 56-HD also

Also WMUR, The ABC affiliate in NH.
post #384 of 8546
Local Sports fans took it on the chin last night. We had Five teams playing ( Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, BC & The Revolution ) and besides only one being in HD ( Sox ) they all lost. Ouch! Especially that BC game, that will hurt for awhile.
post #385 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6933 View Post

Does anyone know what uncrypted QAM channels are available in or around the Peabody, MA area?

In Burlington, this is what we currently get:

(image updated -- see below)

We used to get On Demand channels unencrypted, too, but they're all encrypted now.
post #386 of 8546
Are those "DT" channels the HD channels?
post #387 of 8546
Here is how I would map digital channels in QAM


Note: This does NOT represent the QAM lineup in Lawrence. This is just how I would have it!
2-1 WGBH -SD
2-2 WGBH HD (802)
4-1 WBZ-DT
5-1 WCVB-DT
6-1 NECN
7-1 WHDH-DT
7-2 NBC Weather plus
8-1 CN8
8-2 Local access
8-3 Ed access
8-4 Gov access
8-5 other access
9-1 WMUR-DT
11-1 WENH
25-1 WFXT-DT
27-1 WUNI
38-1 WSBK-DT
44-1 WGBX
44-2 GBX World
44-3 GBX kids
44-4 Create
46-1 Shop NBC
46-2 QVC
48-1 Daystar
50-1 My TV
56-1 WLVI-DT
56-2 The Tube
60-1 Telemundo
62-1 WMFP
62-2 HSN
66-1 Telefutura
68-1 Ion

84-1 WBX-SD
84-2 WCVB-SD
84-3 WHDH-SD
84-4 WMUR-SD
84-5 WFXT-SD
84-6 WSBK-SD
84-7 WLVI-SD


All other channels would be encrypted,
post #388 of 8546
The 82-x channels are no longer available to me. I'm doing a new scan now.

Okay, I updated the image with the results of this morning's scan:



You may have to clear your cache to see it, because it is in the same file as before. This time, there are 24 channels.
post #389 of 8546
No 9-1 WMUR-DT in Peabody
post #390 of 8546
A more detailed look at Comcast's Chicago experiment (apparently they will be keeping the basic analog tier alive for the box-less):

http://multichannel.com/article/CA6432144.html

Does anyone know if this strategy is being considered for this area?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Boston, MA - Comcast