or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Boston, MA - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boston, MA - Comcast - Page 268

post #8011 of 8546
Does the Comcast Cable Setup Menu for DVR's now have a closed caption toggle menu? I am on the Cape and the Menu in the house we are renting has added this option. I was wondering it it is available in Cambridge?
post #8012 of 8546
I live in Attleboro, and subscribe to the Xfinity triple play (just got it in January). We have one DVR and one digital converter box. For some reason, I can't get MTV network channels in HD (MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, etc). They either come in pixelated or show a black screen with an error message.

We had a tech come out today, after having called 6 times over the past 8 weeks, and after having swapped out the box twice.

The tech today replaced some splitters, and the service worked for all of 40 minutes, before reverting back to the old ways.

Any ideas as to why only MTV network channels in HD don't work??? All other HD channels seem to work fine. I'm at my wit's end, and really considering DirecTV
post #8013 of 8546
With regards to the closed captioning I don't see why not.

To note CC has been mandatory I think being built into tv's since 1996. Technically there can be differences though between the cable company providing it and the television itself.

Comcast has a decent CC where you can select if you want just voice or for the background sounds to be factored in too. I doubt comcast would omit CC in cambridge.

With the MTV I'd have to ask a few things

1) What EXACTLY does the error message say

2) Have you tested another hdtv on it?

If they are all mtv network channels that might lead me to think that it isn't your tv it is simply comcast and not having their c band set up to the right satellite/Transponder. For this to be true there should be other people on your block that experience the same thing.

Or it could be the channels themselves. I have comcast and I don't have any of those in hd yet..except on demand.

To note sometimes it can even be the channel company. CNBC World screws up quite a bit often times not matching the IPG material or airing something totally off.
post #8014 of 8546
Read on the Comcast bill today that WGBX will be moved to the digital-only lineup on September 1. Hopefully this paves the way for another HD channel or two down the road. The bill mentions how they added WGBX HD on June 29th, but we already knew that.

I know all of the Boston and Providence locals I get here are still on the analog lineup, with the exception of WLVI (which was moved last year for me) and WGBX this September.

Also, I found this slip in the envelope saying XFINITY internet just got 25% faster. Here are the steps to get the speed increase.

1) Shut down your computer
2) Unplug your modem from outlet
3) Plug modem back in
4) Wait 30 seconds and then turn computer on

Has anybody else gotten this, experienced it, and noticed a difference? I have 4 computers in my house, so I wonder if I have to shut down all of them.
post #8015 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdoommario View Post
Has anybody else gotten this, experienced it, and noticed a difference? I have 4 computers in my house, so I wonder if I have to shut down all of them.
you don't have to shut down any of the computers, especially if you have a router.

if you don't have a router and run Windows, they tell you to do this because it causes Windows to reacquire an ip which sometimes is required, and possibly reacquire some other info about the network connection. I know linux doesn't require this, OSX possibly not either. But again, if you have a router you don't need to restart any of the computers.

if you have a router, replace "computer" with "router" in the instructions. some routers don't need this, but many do, and considering it takes less time for the router to start up than the cable modem it's a minor inconvenience.
post #8016 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieRockSteve View Post

you don't have to shut down any of the computers, especially if you have a router.

if you don't have a router and run Windows, they tell you to do this because it causes Windows to reacquire an ip which sometimes is required, and possibly reacquire some other info about the network connection. I know linux doesn't require this, OSX possibly not either. But again, if you have a router you don't need to restart any of the computers.

if you have a router, replace "computer" with "router" in the instructions. some routers don't need this, but many do, and considering it takes less time for the router to start up than the cable modem it's a minor inconvenience.

Yes, I do have a router, and I did reset that in the midst of doing everything else.

So, have you gotten this message from Comcast? Have you noticed any improvement in internet speed?

Things do seem a tad faster, but maybe it's me. Wish there was a way for me to compare.
post #8017 of 8546
So basically Comcast has too many problems to add the Intellistar 2 in Massachusetts (Verizon is having the same issues) even when Fall River has 24,000 requests for it to be on TWC lHDl

this is why Comcast's WOM upgrades comes back to bite them in the butt.
post #8018 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzygone View Post

I live in Attleboro, and subscribe to the Xfinity triple play (just got it in January). We have one DVR and one digital converter box. For some reason, I can't get MTV network channels in HD (MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, etc). They either come in pixelated or show a black screen with an error message.

We had a tech come out today, after having called 6 times over the past 8 weeks, and after having swapped out the box twice.

The tech today replaced some splitters, and the service worked for all of 40 minutes, before reverting back to the old ways.

Any ideas as to why only MTV network channels in HD don't work??? All other HD channels seem to work fine. I'm at my wit's end, and really considering DirecTV

Hey,

I live in Norton and went through something similar a couple months ago, although it was only on one tv, the others were fine. A random assortment of HD channels just stopped working (some pixelation, but mostly 'this channel will be available shortly' messages), mostly sports channels. It was during the playoffs, so I had to watch a couple Bs games in a room besides where I wanted to.

Anyway, the tech put in a signal amp and everything has been fine since. I can't say if your issue is the same, but it might be worth suggesting this. Also, give up on calling them. Get the executive customer care email from the Better Business bureau site and tell them your story. You should get much better and faster service.

Good luck!
post #8019 of 8546
995 seems to come up with some sort of Linux error on the screen.

The EPG states they are all TBA for the programming.

I was under an impression that some of this might be for comcast employees
post #8020 of 8546
Same thing here in Fall River

Channel 990 has a screen saying "Not Authorized" Local

and the label says Local Access Programming.
post #8021 of 8546
About an hour ago I had some bad reception


wbin, necn, msnbc, hgtv were choppy

life d, nic, spike and mlb (all in hd) stated that "channel will be available shortly"

It's not the tv since it is new and it isn't on all channels

I have a feeling that the transponders that these channels are on might be the same satellite. In other words comcast isn't locking onto it strong enough.
post #8022 of 8546
Hello,

I have the Comcast 3-way bundle and I have a promotional offer that runs out in October. I called Comcast and they are going to increase the monthly charges by $35 when the promotional offer runs out.
My new monthly charges will be $221

I live in a condo in Boston. FIOS is not available and the condo assoc. will not allow DISH service so Comcast is my only available choice.
I do not want to change the package I have with Comcast and have less channels but if that is the only choice I have then that is what I will do.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to stop that increase in monthly charges or at least lower it?

If it is important I am 64 yrs old and I will be 65 in November.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jim
post #8023 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_In_Boston View Post

Hello,

I have the Comcast 3-way bundle and I have a promotional offer that runs out in October. I called Comcast and they are going to increase the monthly charges by $35 when the promotional offer runs out.
My new monthly charges will be $221

I live in a condo in Boston. FIOS is not available and the condo assoc. will not allow DISH service so Comcast is my only available choice.
I do not want to change the package I have with Comcast and have less channels but if that is the only choice I have then that is what I will do.

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to stop that increase in monthly charges or at least lower it?

If it is important I am 64 yrs old and I will be 65 in November.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jim

You have a legal right to put up a dish at the condo. See the fcc rules below.

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

The condo association can control where you put it, but it must be where it is usable.

-Ken
post #8024 of 8546
Or, call Comcast when it runs out and tell them you're going to Dish of they don't extend you. If the rep is not helpful in keeping your package, ask to speak with a "customer retention" agent. They will usually extend your deal in my experience. You have to be firm, rational, polite, but unmovable. Even delivery, no histrionics.
post #8025 of 8546
I just installed the Tivo Guide with our Comcast DVR (three days ago) and the Guide only populates 5-6 days out. Is that standard with the TIVO guide.

Thanks.
post #8026 of 8546
Holy shish kebab!

another update happened and it looks like the following channels will be added 9/29 to me

JLTV -jewish life tv
NBATRV
Indieplex
Retroplex
Cime and investigation
Military history channel
sportsnet ny
comcast sportssnet bay area
ovation
reelz
gala
mun2
neocricket
twchd
cmt hd
hallmark hd
hallmark movies hd
ifc hd
fuse hd
encore hd
comedy central hd
fox biz hd
we hd
nhl hd
vh1 hd
mtv hd
hsn hd
tmc xtra hd
hbo2hd
hbo zone hd
hbo latino hd
nbatv hd
ovation hd
style hd
espn u hd
cbs college sports hd
big ten hd
g4 hd
tv 1 hd
tenns hd
bet hd
necricket hd

neocricket is alacart..some are on the sports package

I think after this pretty much all channels that would have a significant audience will be in hd
post #8027 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Holy shish kebab!

another update happened and it looks like the following channels will be added 9/29 to me

JLTV -jewish life tv
NBATRV
Indieplex
Retroplex
Cime and investigation
Military history channel
sportsnet ny
comcast sportssnet bay area
ovation
reelz
gala
mun2
neocricket
twchd
cmt hd
hallmark hd
hallmark movies hd
ifc hd
fuse hd
encore hd
comedy central hd
fox biz hd
we hd
nhl hd
vh1 hd
mtv hd
hsn hd
tmc xtra hd
hbo2hd
hbo zone hd
hbo latino hd
nbatv hd
ovation hd
style hd
espn u hd
cbs college sports hd
big ten hd
g4 hd
tv 1 hd
tenns hd
bet hd
necricket hd

neocricket is alacart..some are on the sports package

I think after this pretty much all channels that would have a significant audience will be in hd

Where are you located? We've had most of those channels for quite some time now, except NECricket HD.
post #8028 of 8546
Pembroke but we were on the old adelphia system..
post #8029 of 8546
Any chance we will be seeing more HD channels from Comcast in 2011? Only HDNet and WGBX 44 have been added in last several months. Hopefully Comcast will drop all analog channels that are left to make room for more HD.
post #8030 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdoommario View Post
Yes, I do have a router, and I did reset that in the midst of doing everything else.

So, have you gotten this message from Comcast? Have you noticed any improvement in internet speed?

Things do seem a tad faster, but maybe it's me. Wish there was a way for me to compare.
I never really looked for the message but I have noticed a roughly 25% increase in my sustained download rates (1.5MB/s -> 1.9MB/s) the last few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpt6 View Post
Any chance we will be seeing more HD channels from Comcast in 2011? Only HDNet and WGBX 44 have been added in last several months. Hopefully Comcast will drop all analog channels that are left to make room for more HD.
I'd love some
FSC HD
Fox Sports Prime HD
Speed HD
just sayin'...
post #8031 of 8546
Is anyone going to be able to record a TWC Local Forecast when Hurricane Irene is expected to impact Mass Sunday and Monday?

i will post some here if anyone is interested.
post #8032 of 8546
FYI-

New rules went into effect on August 8, 2011, that clarified and expanded rights for owners of CableCARD-ready devices.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

Note
Receive the number of CableCARDs you request. If you opt for a professional installation by your cable operator, the technician must arrive with at least the number of CableCARDs you request. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(3). If you opt for self installation your operator must provide them to you through their normal self-installation procedures (for example by mailing them to you or letting you pick them up at the operator’s local retail location). Some CableCARD devices may require two CableCARDs to access all features. Refer to your user manual for more information
post #8033 of 8546
Here's the Video

post #8034 of 8546
Noticed in my latest statement only Jewelry TV will be moved to a different tier sometime in October, no new channels yet.
post #8035 of 8546
We actually just got a new HD channel as of today on channel 815 WNEU-HD. This was a nice surprise I never even knew about it.
post #8036 of 8546
This is probably a foolish question but do they have DTA's do HD yet? My 2006 model Samsung LCD has an ATSC tuner but doesn't do clear QAM (which I would be fine with). I live alone and pay $160 a month for a triple play on 1 TV. I'd rather not give Comcast another dollar.
post #8037 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post

This is probably a foolish question but do they have DTA's do HD yet? My 2006 model Samsung LCD has an ATSC tuner but doesn't do clear QAM (which I would be fine with). I live alone and pay $160 a month for a triple play on 1 TV. I'd rather not give Comcast another dollar.

you do know that a triple play cable account comes with one "free" cable box right? Give Comcast a call or just go into an office and you'd be able to pick the box up in person.
post #8038 of 8546
Sorry, I have 1 HD DVR. I want another box for free.
post #8039 of 8546
WMUR Ch 9 in Manchester to launch a sub channel in October
9.2 appears now as a black screen

Comcast channel TBD

http://www.wmur.com/news/29133289/detail.html

http://metvnetwork.com/#
post #8040 of 8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheagle View Post
WMUR Ch 9 in Manchester to launch a sub channel in October
9.2 appears now as a black screen

Comcast channel TBD

http://www.wmur.com/news/29133289/detail.html

http://metvnetwork.com/#
I believe the rules are that this will HAVE to be added to VZ FIOS also; anyone please correct me if I'm incorrect.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Boston, MA - Comcast