or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › San Francisco, CA - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 490

post #14671 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

No HD fee for CableCard, but there should be additional outlet fee (other than the primary one). Basically, instead of a SD STB, you get a CableCard.

A 4-tuner Tivo counts as one CableCard? Same if you use something like the HD Home Run Prime with 3 tuners?
post #14672 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

A 4-tuner Tivo counts as one CableCard? Same if you use something like the HD Home Run Prime with 3 tuners?
I don't know about the TiVo but the HDHomeRun Prime uses 1 card and I'm charged $1.10 for it, but that is discounted down to $0.0 by the FCC-mandated "customer owned equipment adjustment" of -$2.50.
post #14673 of 15215
any HDHOMERUN PRIME users have this weird issue:

i cant tune to 702. only time i can see it, is if i start a recording.

it used to work, and then one day, it stopped. its no big deal but during football season it was.

it just comes back with a "NO SIGNAL..." ERROR message that WMC comes back with...
post #14674 of 15215
I have a similar problem. Reinstalled Win7 the other day and now when I scan for channels from my HDHomerun using Windows Media Center it doesn't find channel 2 which is strange as the HD Homerun QuickTV finds and tunes to it.

I'm pretty sure that WMC found the channel previously.
post #14675 of 15215
Both my Prime and original HDHR find KTVU no problem, although I haven't done, or needed, to do a rescan for channels lately.
post #14676 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Both my Prime and original HDHR find KTVU no problem, although I haven't done, or needed, to do a rescan for channels lately.
I guess I would advise you not to do a rescan then. I would wager that you would lose channel 2.1.
I did the rescan many times and every time it found 20 channels with 2.1 missing every time.

Research found that a setting in the registry needed to be set to 9999 to get all channels but my registry setting was already at that value.

I'm about to build a new 'garage' PC and will continue my efforts on that one.

I downloaded Beyond TV from Cnet and tried installing it and somehow I ended up with numerous programs which I hadn't bargained on. That will also wait till I build the new PC which will be for trying out all this 'crap'.

I'm still looking for something to replace Windows Media Center which may be at the source of the problem. There is software from Haupaige (sp) I would like to try but costs 10 bucks if you don't have their TV tuner card. I would hate to spend the money only to find out that it isn't any more intuitive or useful than WMC.mad.gif
post #14677 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandude View Post

I'm still looking for something to replace Windows Media Center....
Brian, have you looked at CW_EPG? It supports the standard HDHR tuners now and we're planning to add the Prime model as well. I see no issues w.r.t. 2.1 tuning in CW_EPG.
post #14678 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

Is anyone familiar with the Comcast services at Rossmoor? I'm looking for Internet prices for my aunt. Cannot be done online because the community is considered a "business".

i am in rossmoor and have phone and internet service. comcast has a 6month lower price for first time internet service then goes to regular price.
everyone in rossmoor pays for basic cable. then you sign up for internet service. i signed up for internet online.

milt
post #14679 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt Frankel9 View Post

i am in rossmoor and have phone and internet service. comcast has a 6month lower price for first time internet service then goes to regular price.
everyone in rossmoor pays for basic cable. then you sign up for internet service. i signed up for internet online.

milt

Maybe Comcast has changed the system since you signed up. This is what I get after entering my aunt's address: "The address you entered is identified as a commercial location in our system." No way to continue online. We set up the account and picked up a STB from the Concord office a couple of days ago. I'll have to call the Rossmoor account rep to see what promotions are available.
post #14680 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

Maybe Comcast has changed the system since you signed up. This is what I get after entering my aunt's address: "The address you entered is identified as a commercial location in our system." No way to continue online. We set up the account and picked up a STB from the Concord office a couple of days ago. I'll have to call the Rossmoor account rep to see what promotions are available.
I don't think Comcast is set up online to deal with "business" accounts. Eg. In Miami we have a condo in a large complex where to HOA fees include not only basic cable, but some premium stations as well - incl HBO and SHO. (I know, a waste of our $). Anyway, we never attempted to sign up online for the DVR box (which we pay for, and internet, which we pay extra for). It was simple to do via CS.
post #14681 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Gaderson -
Maybe you can help/suggest something here. Situation is as follows: We have a LCD panel with just one coax input. IF we feed the Comcast signal direct into TV via the coax, we get all the locals plus a few others in HD ). To get other channels, like CNN, we have to feed the Comcast signal thru the DTA box - in which case ALL channels are in SD. In the past, we put up with everything in SD because that TV isn't used much. I thought I would get a coax A-B switch box and set up two diff. feeds to the TV - one a straight feed to get HD, the other a feed that has passed thru the DTA to get the other channels. Neither Monoprice or RS has a coax switch box. Question: Do you think I could combine both the digital signals direct from Comcast and the analogue signals I can get coming out of the DTA into a "reverse" splitter. --- That is: two different incoming signals going into a 2/1 splitter and the combined signals coming out? Comcast wants about $9/mo. for a dumb box that will output everything we subscribe to in HD. Comcast won't sell their equipment altho the DTA is "free". I think someone, here, mentioned that Comcast might cut off all HD signals in the future - but for now we get them on that jack in the extra room.

I think the other suggestion to use an A/B switch for it would work. But, if the box has a video out (i.e. composite — usually a single yellow RCA, or S-Video — the little 4-pin connector; you'll also need to get audio to the HDTV too) you could split the coax into the Comcast box and then video to your HDTV, and then the other direct to the HDTVs QAM tuner, then you could just switch between Tuner and the appropriate input to the Comcast box. That's how I've done it at my Parents: split the coax and one goes to the Comcast box to the HDTV with the red-white-yellow A/V cable to and input in their Plasma and the other coax to the plasma's QAM tuner. The Plasma is a Panasonic that allows you to label the inputs to make things a little clearer.
post #14682 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaderson View Post

But, if the box has a video out (i.e. composite — usually a single yellow RCA, or S-Video

NONE of the CC DTA's have ANY A/V outs, only RF.
CC is supposed to be coming out with HD-DTA's soon, that will eliminate this issue - it's supposed to be before they encrypt all the limited basic channels...which by then, will make this A/B switch/QAM tuner functions a total moot point.
post #14683 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

NONE of the CC DTA's have ANY A/V outs, only RF.
CC is supposed to be coming out with HD-DTA's soon, that will eliminate this issue - it's supposed to be before they encrypt all the limited basic channels...which by then, will make this A/B switch/QAM tuner functions a total moot point.
Thanks for the good news. Now they say I could pay $9/mo. for an HD box (like a DVR w.o. ability to record). I thought ALL channels (SD and HD) were now encrypted which is why you need the DTA now. Or are you saying we no longer will get HD channels at all unless we get an "HD DTA"? Do you know what they would charge?
What I am looking for is the s/w upgrade that will allow you to hook up a 1 TB SATA drive. Also included is the ability, via menu, to activate closed captioning. I'm surprised the FCC never mandated this since they mandated all TV's have that option several years ago. (I know you can activate cc now, but you have to be a techie to do it.)
post #14684 of 15215
I saw this very strange message on the latest bill: "Effective 3/26/13, Limited Basic customers with an HD settop box will receive HD channels included in the Limited Basic package." Why would a Limited Basic customer pay for a HD settop box if HD channels cannot be received?
post #14685 of 15215
I know in my case I have Blast plus which is Blast Internet + Digital Economy. It is slightly higher than Limited Basic. It came with a Pace HD box. Amazingly the HD channels are blocked. Even the locals.

I guess they are finally opening the HD channels for the lower tiers.

I agree it is weird that they would say it for limited basic since until recently you did not even get a STB for limited basic.
post #14686 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3 View Post

I saw this very strange message on the latest bill: "Effective 3/26/13, Limited Basic customers with an HD settop box will receive HD channels included in the Limited Basic package." Why would a Limited Basic customer pay for a HD settop box if HD channels cannot be received?
That is a curious message. Let's look at it from a different angle. If the customer did not have a HD settop box then they would not receive the HD channels? And what would cause that to happen? Encryption maybe?

Speculation to be sure and I'm sure if they were finally going to encrypt the entire video offering they would have made a more concise statement, but who knows, this is Comcast, a company that specializes in a lack of communication.

I have a message on my bill that relates to that same date but it only talks about some channel movements between different packages, no mention of HD or settops.
post #14687 of 15215
HI all,

I have an HDHomerun (the older one with two inputs) connected to an Windows Media Center HTPC and subscribe to cable internet and phone only; so no TV. I am interested in putting the unencrypted digital channels (which I still get) onto my WMC HTPC. Does anyone maintain a list of the available unencrypted channels in the Los Altos area?

I know this next questions is subjective but are there are "decent" channels other than the network channels which I get OTA i.e. should I bother with unencrypted cable?

Thanks much
post #14688 of 15215
What do you want to watch?

do you watch DVD box sets of TV shows or watch shows on Netflix?
post #14689 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydus View Post

HI all,

I have an HDHomerun (the older one with two inputs) connected to an Windows Media Center HTPC and subscribe to cable internet and phone only; so no TV. I am interested in putting the unencrypted digital channels (which I still get) onto my WMC HTPC. Does anyone maintain a list of the available unencrypted channels in the Los Altos area?

I know this next questions is subjective but are there are "decent" channels other than the network channels which I get OTA i.e. should I bother with unencrypted cable?

Thanks much
Go to the HDHomerun website as they maintain a list under Channels in the Support section. Just enter your zip code.
post #14690 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Go to the HDHomerun website as they maintain a list under Channels in the Support section. Just enter your zip code.
Doesn't that list itself come from HDHomeRun users? So shouldn't Lloyd be able to generate a list from his own HDHR box?

FWIW, I've looked at the lists on the Silicon Dust site before and although there were lots of submissions for Sunnyvale, none of them were up to date. Unfortunately, there is no date information attached to each listing, so it's impossible to know when they were posted. But, for example, none of the current ones show KQEH on 18.1, where it's been in my area for at least a couple of months.

I ended up scanning through the QAM channels manually and making my own list. Lloyd should be able to do it a lot more easily!
post #14691 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydus View Post

I know this next questions is subjective but are there are "decent" channels other than the network channels which I get OTA i.e. should I bother with unencrypted cable?

AFAIK, the only unencrypted channels on Comcast in this area besides the local stations are a few public-service and shopping channels, Russia Today, Discovery, and WGN.
post #14692 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

I thought ALL channels (SD and HD) were now encrypted which is why you need the DTA now.

Not at all; there are dozens of unencrypted channels on Comcast, at least in my area. They include all of the local HD channels.

I have my Comcast cable split, with one side going to my non-HD Comcast box and the other going straight into the TV to use the built-in HD tuner of my TV.
post #14693 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post

Not at all; there are dozens of unencrypted channels on Comcast, at least in my area. They include all of the local HD channels.

I have my Comcast cable split, with one side going to my non-HD Comcast box and the other going straight into the TV to use the built-in HD tuner of my TV.

At present, this is the situation in the SF Bay area. What has happened is that the FCC has given the Cable Cos. the permission to START encryption on all of their channels, including local OTA (standard and hi-def) signals. Most of us expect that to start happening in the "not too distant future". When the FCC gave permission to start encryption on non-basic cable channels (other than premium, which were already encrypted) the delay between permission and implementation was ~6 months, but my memory on that time delay could be faulty. It'll probably be phased in system by system around the Bay Area. Not sure who got it implemented first the last time.

For the time being, enjoy the ability to not have to use a DTA or cable box. It was fun while it lasted.
post #14694 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post



AFAIK, the only unencrypted channels on Comcast in this area besides the local stations are a few public-service and shopping channels, Russia Today, Discovery, and WGN.

Thank you. If that's all there is then I will just stick with OTA only.
post #14695 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaderson View Post

I think the other suggestion to use an A/B switch for it would work. But, if the box has a video out (i.e. composite — usually a single yellow RCA, or S-Video — the little 4-pin connector; you'll also need to get audio to the HDTV too) you could split the coax into the Comcast box and then video to your HDTV, and then the other direct to the HDTVs QAM tuner, then you could just switch between Tuner and the appropriate input to the Comcast box. That's how I've done it at my Parents: split the coax and one goes to the Comcast box to the HDTV with the red-white-yellow A/V cable to and input in their Plasma and the other coax to the plasma's QAM tuner. The Plasma is a Panasonic that allows you to label the inputs to make things a little clearer.

Gaderson - or anyone--
The Comcast DTA only has a coax out. Even Comcast has buried on their site the method to use an A/B switch to handle switching back and forth to get the non-encrypted HD channels and get all the channels you get in SD.
QUESTION: My LCD panel does a scan for analogue and digital channels. Of course when I did a direct connect to the panel from the outlet, all it saw was the non-encrypted digital channels. My question is: could I feed both an analogue signal to channel 3 on the panel combined with the "raw" digital signals> My idea would work if the scanning picked up the analoge signals coming from the DTA and then recognize Channel 3 as a "live" signal and also recognize the "raw" cable digital signals as well like it does now. I would use a combiner (2-way splitter) to get both signals going out to one coax.
post #14696 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post



AFAIK, the only unencrypted channels on Comcast in this area besides the local stations are a few public-service and shopping channels, Russia Today, Discovery, and WGN.

Thank you. If that's all there is then I will just stick with OTA only.
Well...there are two better-than-OTA "OTA" locals, both from KQED, carried on Comcast in clear QAM (for now, at least). They are the 9.1 KQED-HD programming and an HD version of KQEH 54.1. These don't give you any new programs per se, but they do give you a better picture. The actual OTA KQEH is only 704x480 SD while the Comcast stream is now 1080i, and the OTA KQED-HD is 1080i, but at a lower bitrate than the stream carried on cable.
post #14697 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by abg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post

Not at all; there are dozens of unencrypted channels on Comcast, at least in my area. They include all of the local HD channels.

At present, this is the situation in the SF Bay area. What has happened is that the FCC has given the Cable Cos. the permission to START encryption on all of their channels, including local OTA (standard and hi-def) signals.

I know. That's why I put my comments in the present tense. I was pointing out that rumors that all Comcast unencrypted channels have already gone away are inaccurate.
post #14698 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post

I know. That's why I put my comments in the present tense. I was pointing out that rumors that all Comcast unencrypted channels have already gone away are inaccurate.

We're in agreement here. I only made the comment as the original poster seemed to be unclear what the state of encryption was on the OTA channels as delivered by Comcast.

ABG
post #14699 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertime View Post


Doesn't that list itself come from HDHomeRun users? So shouldn't Lloyd be able to generate a list from his own HDHR box?

FWIW, I've looked at the lists on the Silicon Dust site before and although there were lots of submissions for Sunnyvale, none of them were up to date. Unfortunately, there is no date information attached to each listing, so it's impossible to know when they were posted. But, for example, none of the current ones show KQEH on 18.1, where it's been in my area for at least a couple of months.

I ended up scanning through the QAM channels manually and making my own list. Lloyd should be able to do it a lot more easily!

True and I'm running Linux and have a script which does a good job of mapping channels to a text list which also can run a script for recording a channel like a DVR. There was even a script that would parse the channel where Comcast put the channel map that I could run to get that info. Some of this stuff was posted over in the HTPC section and some on the Silicon Realms website. However last I checked for my area the list on the web site was fairly up to date.
post #14700 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Gaderson - or anyone--
The Comcast DTA only has a coax out. Even Comcast has buried on their site the method to use an A/B switch to handle switching back and forth to get the non-encrypted HD channels and get all the channels you get in SD.
QUESTION: My LCD panel does a scan for analogue and digital channels. Of course when I did a direct connect to the panel from the outlet, all it saw was the non-encrypted digital channels. My question is: could I feed both an analogue signal to channel 3 on the panel combined with the "raw" digital signals> My idea would work if the scanning picked up the analoge signals coming from the DTA and then recognize Channel 3 as a "live" signal and also recognize the "raw" cable digital signals as well like it does now. I would use a combiner (2-way splitter) to get both signals going out to one coax.

I don't think you want to do that. Unless you put some kind of a filter on the cable input side of your splitter, you're going to be injecting some RF from the DTA back into the cable. Depending on what that frequency has been re-assigned to be used for by Comcast you could end up screwing up some digital channels or your cable modem, maybe even interfere with someone else's service.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › San Francisco, CA - Comcast