or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › San Francisco, CA - Comcast
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

San Francisco, CA - Comcast - Page 111

post #3301 of 15215
TNTHD is showing up on 726 and 737 for some reason but of course I can only tune to 726.
post #3302 of 15215
Could it be Ch 737 place holder for CNN HD?? I was hoping for CNN HD to show up on same day of TBS HD debut on CH 735. Will the next round of bunch of HDTV channels for the bay area be on OCT 15??
post #3303 of 15215
Hey guys, I just noticed that the lowest line on the 'menu'--the one with Comcast adds--has disappeared! Hallellujah! Now one gets the max # of channels listed in each 'bite' of the menu page.
post #3304 of 15215
Is your box brand new or maybe you had to get your original box replaced? If so, it could be loaded with a guide for another area, if you haven't had Comcast 'hit' it yet via their network, which resets the box and begins a download of your local guide.
Just a thought.
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowai View Post

The reason why I am asking because on my HTPC those channels are showing up and I was assuming they were showing up other peoples comcast boxes as I do not have one.

I see the following:
730 HBOHDP
732 MAXHDP
734 STRZHDP
735 TBSHD
738 USAHD
746 HGTVD
754 DSCHD
758 HSTRYHD
780 HBOHD
783 MAXHD
785 SHOWHD
788 STARZHD

Maybe these channels will be added to the lineup soon? I can only tune to TBSHD and I don't have premium package so I cannot tune those channels anyways.
post #3305 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeaymar View Post

Is your box brand new or maybe you had to get your original box replaced? If so, it could be loaded with a guide for another area, if you haven't had Comcast 'hit' it yet via their network, which resets the box and begins a download of your local guide.
Just a thought.
Mike

He said this is from his HTPC, not the STB, so the question is where the guide info is coming from.

It doesn't show up on zap2it yet for me.

Dailowai, what market are you in and what HTPC software and config are you using where this info is showing up?

Thanks,
Mike
post #3306 of 15215
I hope Comcast is not going to waste bandwidth on both an east and west version of those premium channels, that would set a new highwater mark for idiocy given the current bandwidth situation.

Of course, I don't have to worry about as it could be late 2008 before we'll see anything else up here.
post #3307 of 15215
I think the new HD Premiums are based on the new channel configuration leaving more room for more national HD channels as they come on board. Not a east west thing but a mirror for the beginning.
post #3308 of 15215
I am located in the San Jose market. I am just using Vista Media Center and just the other day the new channels just started to show up. Find it weird that it would show up in my media center since like you know the guide data comes from zap2it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

He said this is from his HTPC, not the STB, so the question is where the guide info is coming from.

It doesn't show up on zap2it yet for me.

Dailowai, what market are you in and what HTPC software and config are you using where this info is showing up?

Thanks,
Mike
post #3309 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I think the new HD Premiums are based on the new channel configuration leaving more room for more national HD channels as they come on board. Not a east west thing but a mirror for the beginning.

If it's a mirror it would have to be the same feed, east or west, but not both.
post #3310 of 15215
WTF is up with comcast. My Damn area is only a 550 mhz area, and they take off a KQED channel in order to put on V-me what is this channel? It's in spanish and all though I speak spanish, i don't think this channel is very popular. ANd why is there two KBWB4 stations? one on 620 and 196? WTF!!!!
I assume this is gonna change pretty soon...I hope!
post #3311 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I hope Comcast is not going to waste bandwidth on both an east and west version of those premium channels, that would set a new highwater mark for idiocy given the current bandwidth situation.

Of course, I don't have to worry about as it could be late 2008 before we'll see anything else up here.

Completely agree, but i think that's exactly what they are going to do. There are 5 SD HBO channels now, and the 1 HD channel. if the didn't do the east coast feed, they'd have to pick from one of the 4 others that don't have duplicated programming. I would like the action channel, but others would want the Latin channel or romance channel, etc...

So instead actually picking and disappointing some folks, they will disappoint everyone by picking the east version! I doubt they'll do one of the 4 others until they can do them all.

This is really silly since the east and pacific feeds are just skewed by time. Anyone with a DVR wouldn't benefit, and since most of these are available via ondemand in HD anyway, it is a complete waste. Better to pick some other programming channel that isn't available in HD at all, much less skewed by 3 hrs.

thanks,
mike
post #3312 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailowai View Post

I am located in the San Jose market. I am just using Vista Media Center and just the other day the new channels just started to show up. Find it weird that it would show up in my media center since like you know the guide data comes from zap2it.

Interesting. What lineup under VMC are you using? San Jose Camcast digital?

Thanks,
mike
post #3313 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStack View Post

WTF is up with comcast. My Damn area is only a 550 mhz area, and they take off a KQED channel in order to put on V-me what is this channel? It's in spanish and all though I speak spanish, i don't think this channel is very popular. ANd why is there two KBWB4 stations? one on 620 and 196? WTF!!!!
I assume this is gonna change pretty soon...I hope!

620 and 196 map to the same physical channel. Basically the same channel is listed twice in the guide.
post #3314 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

620 and 196 map to the same physical channel. Basically the same channel is listed twice in the guide.

Thanks for clearing that up, so that doesn't take up any extra bandwith? I'm assuming that it's just like channel 09 and 96 which are both kqed.
post #3315 of 15215
Mike. I selected San Jose Comcast (Digital) because I am using an OCUR tuner. Hopefully Comcast will be implementing them soon.
I don't keep up with the thread as often as I used to so here I thought I was getting shafted because I could not tune all those new channels while everyone else was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

Interesting. What lineup under VMC are you using? San Jose Camcast digital?

Thanks,
mike
post #3316 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStack View Post

Thanks for clearing that up, so that doesn't take up any extra bandwith? I'm assuming that it's just like channel 09 and 96 which are both kqed.

Similar concept. 96 is mapped to analog channel 9 (on my system). 620/196 KBWB4 is the same digital channel (on my system)

Channel 9 however will be mapped either to the analog channel 9 or the ADS digital simulcast channel 9 depending on your area and how your account profile is set up.

So in the case of KBWB4 the bandwidth used is only that of 1 channel.

For the KQED example you mentioned the bandwidth used depends on how you look at it. Analog 9 and ch96 mapped to analog 9 use just the bandwidth for analog 9. However KQED is also sent as ADS digital channel 9 and there is also the OTA digital multicast version, which may have the same content but are physically different channels.
post #3317 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStack View Post

Thanks for clearing that up, so that doesn't take up any extra bandwith? I'm assuming that it's just like channel 09 and 96 which are both kqed.

You can actually verify this by checking the frequency that each channel is running off of (on the Moto box, you tune to both channels and check the diagnostics/service menu). You'll most likely see they're running off the same frequency which means it's just Comcast mapping it to multiple channes (as sfhub pointed out)
post #3318 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStack View Post

WTF is up with comcast. My Damn area is only a 550 mhz area, and they take off a KQED channel in order to put on V-me what is this channel? It's in spanish and all though I speak spanish, i don't think this channel is very popular.

Comcast didn't take a KQED channel off, KQED did. They have realigned their programming a bit and the new V channel is part of it.
post #3319 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Comcast didn't take a KQED channel off, KQED did. They have realigned their programming a bit and the new V channel is part of it.

^ Yeah i just did a little research last night.

Thanks,
K
post #3320 of 15215
Here is a screen shot of what my guide looks like. I really hope that this is what comcast plans to deliver
LL
LL
post #3321 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Hey guys, I just noticed that the lowest line on the 'menu'--the one with Comcast adds--has disappeared! Hallellujah! Now one gets the max # of channels listed in each 'bite' of the menu page.

Oh man. You got my hopes up. I just checked and the stupid banner ad is still there. Only 5 lines of guide info, and an ugly useless ad taking up THREE lines of possible guide info.

Hey Mike, can you talk some sense into Mr. J, and have them get rid of that useless bullsh**? EVERYBODY hates it. It can't be making any revenue, as it only advertises Comcast stuff. What is its purpose, other than to p*** customers off?
post #3322 of 15215
What's weird is that some of the stations are replicated on multiple channels (i.e. TNTHD is on both channels 726 and 737, UHD on 727 and 739). My guess is that wherever you're getting your PG info from is not really doing it on a local basis and just adding the stations if 1 or more areas have it.
post #3323 of 15215
Yesterday, after I saw millerwill's post about the guide ads being removed, I checked and they were indeed gone. Today they are back.
post #3324 of 15215
Someone needs to find out the name and address of the person who came up with the idea for those banner ads. I'd like to smack him across the face with a large, dead fish.
post #3325 of 15215
If you don't mind my inquisitiveness, please divulge how you were able to obtain an OCUR system - I thought they have not yet been released to the public? That guide you've attached looks miles beyond the 9 HD channels I currently enjoy.
post #3326 of 15215
They have been available for a while now actually... I have an HP one, but Dell, Velocity Micro and S1 Digital all have them available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilPeart View Post

If you don't mind my inquisitiveness, please divulge how you were able to obtain an OCUR system - I thought they have not yet been released to the public? That guide you've attached looks miles beyond the 9 HD channels I currently enjoy.
post #3327 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by garypen View Post

Someone needs to find out the name and address of the person who came up with the idea for those banner ads. I'd like to smack him across the face with a large, dead fish.

If you don't like it, get a Tivo... or an HTPC. My Sage PVR system even removes all the ads using Showanalyzer.

If you buy the vanilla system from comcast, don't expect a great experience.

thanks,
mike
post #3328 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker View Post

Yesterday, after I saw millerwill's post about the guide ads being removed, I checked and they were indeed gone. Today they are back.

Yep, mine are back too! *&$#@&^%**!
post #3329 of 15215
Quote:
Originally Posted by garypen View Post

Someone needs to find out the name and address of the person who came up with the idea for those banner ads. I'd like to smack him across the face with a large, dead fish.

Quote of the Day. It's even worse for me, they advertise On Demand, and channels I don't even have. WTF!!!
Let me know if you find out who it is, and I got your back FISH IN HAND!!!
post #3330 of 15215
I don't know if I could read that guide on my tv sitting on my couch...

It looks nice though, and if you can put it onto like a 9" touch-pad remote control and change the channels that way.... I'm sold!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › San Francisco, CA - Comcast