or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV - Page 12

post #331 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

It won't: Your SquareShooter will have the issue. It's vertically polarized for VHF, while the antenna is horizontally polarized for UHF. This means that you'll have to tilt it in a way that maybe you'll get VHF and UHF signals at once, if it's possible to get the VHF ones at all (the link'll help you how). You might have a chance on your two other tuners, but I suspect that it's a lost cause for the D* receiver. But it won't have total blame.

Anybody with a SquareShooter will be prone to reception issues in 2009. Many will learn that the hard way.

I have a SquareShooter that I like a lot. I don't really care about the move to VHF because my AppleTV will be here in a couple of weeks and I hope by 2009 I will be getting all my content off the internet
post #332 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onazuka View Post

I don't really care about the move to VHF because my AppleTV will be here in a couple of weeks and I hope by 2009 I will be getting all my content off the internet

This is a good possibility, but if it doesn't pan out, I wonder what power WJLA and WUSA will be transmitting at. Given that they are currently transmitting at the UHF digital max of a MW, perhaps they will do what -- 60 some odd kW for VHF digital max.

My, that seems awfully weak and perhaps the FCC will drastically increase that ceiling following analog shutdown! Otherwise, I don't see how I could continue to digitally pull these stations in.
post #333 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWB View Post

update as of this morning (1/17): I spoke to the customer service folks at Verizon fios, and they called the tech folks who told them that the DC HD stations would remain in the system for the Howard/Anne Arundel County subscribers. That would be a huge relief if it's accurate. I guess we really won't know until the channel line-up changes. I'll be holding my breath!

We received another new lineup for AA/Howard counties today, and a letter from Verizon:

"... It has come to our attention that a few of the new Hi-Def channels were omitted from the updated channel lineup we sent you . Those channels are:
  • 801 FOX - WTTG HD
  • 802 CBS - WUSA HD
  • 803 ABC - WJLA HD
  • 804 PBS - WETA HD
  • 807 NBC - WRC HD
Please note that these channels, along with the ones outlined in our previous lettter, will change positions in the lineup on 2/20/07..."

Now they just need a correction to the correction ... those channels aren't new, and they aren't changing positions (based on the revised list titled "AA/HC-1pg-1/07".)
post #334 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post

I wonder what power WJLA and WUSA will be transmitting at.

A few months ago, I asked four questions about WJLA and WUSA in that sort of regard. With an FCC-released document (Excel version) (pdf version), I have the answer to three of the questions.

(By the way, there's no note of call signs in the document, but search the document for "washington", and there's "references" to both channels 7 and 9 there. )

Short version:

* WUSA and WJLA will both broadcast at 254 meters above average terrain. This is the tallest tower location in town, at least in terms of HAAT, and higher than their current analog location.
* WUSA will broadcast at 17,000 watts
* WJLA will broadcast at 15,000 watts

I don't know if either will have a directional array, because I don't know where I can go to get info on an "Antenna ID" number. WUSA has 74506, and WJLA has 74539. I suspect that means that the two won't share the same antenna, though I may be wrong.

Mr. Johnson, I don't know if you'll get WUSA, let alone WJLA, but I do know that they'll have a good clean feeling in their power bills.
post #335 of 13749
quick question, do people from Baltimore get Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune in HD or not. I know here in NoVA we are not because of WJLA not having the right equipment.

Also, FIOS sent us letter about the change in lineup, but next to Comcast Sports Net HD it says Philadelphia. You guys think it is a typo or we are getting the PA CSN. Because I remember reading an article that in late December FIOS reached an agreement with CSN Philadelphia, not sure if that includes the Baltimore/Washington one.

Thanks in advance
post #336 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVJunkyMonkey View Post

quick question, do people from Baltimore get Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune in HD or not.

WMAR shows them in HD.
post #337 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVJunkyMonkey View Post

quick question, do people from Baltimore get Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune in HD or not. I know here in NoVA we are not because of WJLA not having the right equipment.

WMAR-DT ABC 2 broadcasts Jeopardy and WOF in HD. Assuming you are not blocked by terrain or local circumstances, you can get WMAR-DT in almost all of NoVA with a good UHF antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVJunkyMonkey View Post

Also, FIOS sent us letter about the change in lineup, but next to Comcast Sports Net HD it says Philadelphia. You guys think it is a typo or we are getting the PA CSN. Because I remember reading an article that in late December FIOS reached an agreement with CSN Philadelphia, not sure if that includes the Baltimore/Washington one.

Typo. Can you imagine what Peter Angelos would do if Verizon started showing the Philly regional Sport network with the Phillies on almost every day during baseball season in HIS market?
post #338 of 13749
Did anyone else notice lots of breakups on WNUV-DT. My wife noticed it during Gilmore Girls on Tuesday and I saw it during the Duke-Carolina game on Wednesday (upconverted). We were watching via Comcast Baltimore County.
post #339 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post

Typo. Can you imagine what Peter Angelos would do if Verizon started showing the Philly regional Sport network with the Phillies on almost every day during baseball season in HIS market?


I actually had a related question to this. With the Extra Innings package very likely going to D* exclusively and CSN-MidAtl having no baseball in the summer, is there anything to stop Comcast from buying rights for FSN-regional (or NESN or YES) baseball games from other markets and putting them on CSN?

It would seemingly be a good counter-programming idea (vs MASN and D*), but I assume there is some MLB rule that prevents teams from selling rights to regional broadcasts outside their geographic territory?
post #340 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by gant22 View Post

Can anyone tell me if Comcast Woodbridge (Prince William County) has clear digital channels from Comcast Basic (analog) that can be picked up with a QAM tuner.

Thank you.



Yes. I pick up Comcast's HD in-the-clear offerings on a MyHD tuner. So yes, they are indeed available!
post #341 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrish View Post

Tony, there are people on this forum that really do know what they are talking about and aren't merely speculating when they respond to people. For example, the fact I live in Harford is not irrelevant to the answer I gave you.

Think what you want. Harford County is Howard County, how? They are feeding the signal from a central spot? Skipping over Baltimore county and city? And even if they were doing that, there are no connection problems between those two locations.

Guess what? The channels are fine now and I did nothing. Hmmm.

Now explain to me again how you are missing the POINT I was making, which was that Comcast IMMEDIATELY wanted to send out a tech without even CHECKING if the problem existed on their end. THAT is what ticked me off with them.

It happened again today. My internet connection could not get to THIS website. Even though it was happening on TWO computers and that I could connect via my work connection on those same computers, the drone at Comcast tried to push on me that it was MY PC's that had a bad setting. And then when I told him that the problem was not solved, he reached the end of his script and asked me if there was anything else he could help with. Didn't even ask what sites I was trying to get to.

Yup, that is great. ASSume that the problem is on the customer's end (as you did) and then you get to roll thru "tickets" quickly so it looks like you are good at your job.

That is the Comcast you are defending. And I stick to the original point...you were unhelpful to me. You just stuck your nose in (and in what came off as an arrogant way).
post #342 of 13749
Update. The problems I was having with Comcast clear QAM channels went away on its own when I checked last night. This is why I haven't gone to digital cable. Now if only ESPN became an OTA station...
post #343 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd79 View Post

That is the Comcast you are defending. And I stick to the original point...you were unhelpful to me. You just stuck your nose in (and in what came off as an arrogant way).

You may want to back off the caffine and take it down a thousand.
post #344 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

I actually had a related question to this. With the Extra Innings package very likely going to D* exclusively and CSN-MidAtl having no baseball in the summer, is there anything to stop Comcast from buying rights for FSN-regional (or NESN or YES) baseball games from other markets and putting them on CSN?

It would seemingly be a good counter-programming idea (vs MASN and D*), but I assume there is some MLB rule that prevents teams from selling rights to regional broadcasts outside their geographic territory?

What you describe wouldn't be possible. Individual teams own the TV rights to their games only in their geographic regions. They cannot sell their games outside of these defined markets. MLB owns the out of region rights in which take the form of the ESPN, TBS (Sunday afternoon) and Fox contracts along with the Extra Innings.
post #345 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onazuka View Post

I also emailed them and got the same email back. What do you want to bet that WDCA 20 is one of the half of the stations that don't have the ability to downlink and broadcast HD. WDCA was like the last station to go digital.

Yeah, but FOX 5 has the ability to do HD synidcation (kind of), they aired those NFL Network games in HD. And, for an event like this, one could assume that FOX 5/My20 has syndication equipment shared between the two.

Not saying any of that will hold up, but it does shed some light on WDCA.

And, just to bring it up, what ever happened to FOX 5 upgrading their local news to HD? They ordered the equipment last July, but since then, nothing has been said, with the exception of sister station WTXF in Philly upgrading to HD.
post #346 of 13749
Comcast in Montgomery County now has Golf/Versus on channel 258 and National Geographic HD on channel 224
post #347 of 13749
I currently receive my HD channels OTA, but due to several dropout problems lately I have been considering using my QAM tuner to pick up the clear HD channels on Comcast's basic cable, or upgrading to their digital package and using their digital converter/DVR.

I love the uncompressed signal that I receive OTA and was wondering if I will see any degradation in the picture quality going to cable for HD. I have heard that there is a certain amount of compression with digital cable.

My question is for anyone who has looked at both OTA HD and Comcast's HD. Am I going to be able to detect any difference?

Thank you.
post #348 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKurtzke View Post

Yeah, but FOX 5 has the ability to do HD synidcation (kind of), they aired those NFL Network games in HD. And, for an event like this, one could assume that FOX 5/My20 has syndication equipment shared between the two.

Not saying any of that will hold up, but it does shed some light on WDCA.

And, just to bring it up, what ever happened to FOX 5 upgrading their local news to HD? They ordered the equipment last July, but since then, nothing has been said, with the exception of sister station WTXF in Philly upgrading to HD.

I also think there's a good chance WDCA will be able to do it.

I made a post back when MyNetworkTV was just starting on WDCA about how it looked like they had the ability to record and playback HD. It was a non-network time of the day and they were playing around with the digital signal and showing a recorded version of their network telenovelas. Here's the link from then.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8527882
post #349 of 13749
I've been having very strange sound problems with my KD-E42A10. On any of the WBAL OTA HD channels I lose sound whenever I turn the TV off, or switch to another channel. To get the sound back I must purposely move the antenna (silver sensor) so that the channel loses its signal, then move the antenna back to its original position. This "fix" works 100% of the time.

We also have another HD set in the basement connected via a 2-bay outdoor antenna through a HD Tivo box that does not have this issue.

I'm guessing it's been about a month this way, and the symptoms have been exactly the same every time. No hit-or-miss.

Any ideas?
post #350 of 13749
and note that in the latest revised channel lineup they sent, verizon took out channel 829: comcast sports net hd.

oops. reprint!




Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsjr View Post

We received another new lineup for AA/Howard counties today, and a letter from Verizon:

"... It has come to our attention that a few of the new Hi-Def channels were omitted from the updated channel lineup we sent you . Those channels are:
  • 801 FOX - WTTG HD
  • 802 CBS - WUSA HD
  • 803 ABC - WJLA HD
  • 804 PBS - WETA HD
  • 807 NBC - WRC HD
Please note that these channels, along with the ones outlined in our previous lettter, will change positions in the lineup on 2/20/07..."

Now they just need a correction to the correction ... those channels aren't new, and they aren't changing positions (based on the revised list titled "AA/HC-1pg-1/07".)
post #351 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by gant22 View Post

I currently receive my HD channels OTA, but due to several dropout problems lately I have been considering using my QAM tuner to pick up the clear HD channels on Comcast's basic cable, or upgrading to their digital package and using their digital converter/DVR.

I love the uncompressed signal that I receive OTA and was wondering if I will see any degradation in the picture quality going to cable for HD. I have heard that there is a certain amount of compression with digital cable.

My question is for anyone who has looked at both OTA HD and Comcast's HD. Am I going to be able to detect any difference?

Thank you.

Depends on the TV and your eyes, but it's unlikely you'll see any diff - I can't on a Sony 30XS955. It's a big jump from lifeline basic to just about any other package.
post #352 of 13749
Just a quick question. Does Comcast/Baltimore broadcast any local HD's over basic cable?
post #353 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post

Just a quick question. Does Comcast/Baltimore broadcast any local HD's over basic cable?

We get the Baltimore locals in HD here in AA County, I would presume that Baltimore proper would get the same.
post #354 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post

Just a quick question. Does Comcast/Baltimore broadcast any local HD's over basic cable?

All locals are unencrypted on basic.

GoIrish
post #355 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Did anyone else notice lots of breakups on WNUV-DT. My wife noticed it during Gilmore Girls on Tuesday and I saw it during the Duke-Carolina game on Wednesday (upconverted). We were watching via Comcast Baltimore County.

A quick follow-up. I tried to watch my recording of ER from WBAL and it was unwatchable with audio drops and tons of blocking. I assume this wasn't a national issue, since it would've been on the Programming forum. Was it WBAL issue? Or is it possibly a bad sector on my DVR?
post #356 of 13749
This morning I was channel surfing and stopped to look at Viva Pinata (only because I have it for the 360, I swear!) It looked like it was broadcast in 4:3 but at the very top of the screen was a thin strip that extended across the whole screen. When I looked closely, I could see that the part of the strip that was above the black bars was actually a continuation of of the picture and showed the very top of what should be behind the the black bars. So, in a moving scene, if a tree passed, you would see the very top of it go by above the black bars. So basically, either FOX, Cox, or my cable box is taking a 16:9 picture and putting black bars over it to make it look like 4:3. Any other Cox user notice this?
post #357 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoIrish View Post

All locals are unencrypted on basic.

GoIrish

Thanks
post #358 of 13749
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

* WUSA and WJLA will both broadcast at 254 meters above average terrain. This is the tallest tower location in town, at least in terms of HAAT, and higher than their current analog location.
* WUSA will broadcast at 17,000 watts
* WJLA will broadcast at 15,000 watts

I don't know if either will have a directional array, because I don't know where I can go to get info on an "Antenna ID" number. WUSA has 74506, and WJLA has 74539. I suspect that means that the two won't share the same antenna, though I may be wrong.

Mr. Johnson, I don't know if you'll get WUSA, let alone WJLA, but I do know that they'll have a good clean feeling in their power bills.

I have some thoughts/questions here:

1. These are proposed allotments and after reading accompanying FCC notices I found elsewhere, I see that licensees can request changes following finalization.

2. Therefore, I wonder if 7 and 9 may want to request a change to UHF given that (a) 15 and 17 kW seem awfully weak, (b) they currently are operating at max. for UHF digital (1,000 kW), (c) even now with analog and digital totalling more than 1,300 kW, they apparently have no problem with current power bills, and (d) their main competitors will stay at 1,000 kW.

3. I know stations now rely heavily on cable, audience-wise, but OTA these power levels -- apparently necessary for hi-VHF and perhaps mandated by the FCC because of potential interference problems -- the levels seem ridiculous. Out here, WVIR analog-wise touts itself as the 5,000,000 watt voice of Virginia. What's 7 and 9 going to do in 2009: Tout themselves as the little DC stations that could!

4. I wonder why both are currently at only 316 kW analog when they could be 5,000. Seems kind of coincidental and perhaps again an FCC mandated thing because of potential interference for analog hi-VHF.

5. You're right! Even at almost 1800 ft. elevation, I can kiss these stations goodbye being 125 miles away. That's probably why I'm ranting along here, especially since 7.1 often brings Nittany Lions football when the other ABC stations I get invariably bring ACC games. Putting my attic 4228 on the roof probably wouldn't even help. 1,000 kW to 15 -- Man oh man! Perhaps sanity will prevail at these stations and they'll say an electric bill of only a few hundred dollars a month is beyond the pale.

P.S. Many many thanks mike, for getting this info, terrible for me tho it is. .......
post #359 of 13749
Hi-

I'm new to the forum, so I hope it will be okay to drop this message into an ongoing thread. If not, sorry -- please let me know the correct procedure....

Two days ago we bought a Sony KDL-32S20L1 32" LCD TV set. Setup has been uneventful but for one glaring problem -- we absolutely cannot pick up WETA's digital channels over the air.

We live in Silver Spring MD, close to Wash DC. Antennaweb says we are 6 mi NNE of the River Rd tower and 11 mi NNE of their other tower (Arlington?). Our antenna is a medium-high gain Channel Master VHF/UHF (11 ft boom) on a chimney approx 30' above ground. We're not in a hole (310 ft elevation). The antenna feeds an RF amplifier (a Channel Master model with a high overload point). As we swing the rotator, we get noise free and ghost free reception of all the main analog channels in DC, Baltimore, and Annapolis. Analog ch. 26 comes in perfectly (strong and no ghosts), yet digital ch.s 26.1 to 26.4 are just not there.

After exhausting every test I could think of yesterday, a second tier Sony tech rep and I spent 2 hrs on the phone until he ran out of ideas too. We tried many antenna related trials -- various bearings, disabling the amp, even a set of inside rabbit ears. The tuner locked on ~every~ digital station except for WETA even though analog ch 26 was always fine. We did the digital tuner auto-chan search over and over again, but no luck. We did an overall TV reset twice -- no help.

To be missing one station like this seems odd. Or is it? Can anyone comment on how likely it is for a tuner to be broken such that it cannot receive one and only one digital station. With all the antenna tests and the good analog signal from WETA, the Sony guy said he could only conclude that the tuner is faulty. Does that sound likely? Or is there something odd about WETA? Are they known to be doing anything atypical which could lead to a problem like this?

One last idea... I've read that WETA broadcasts analog from the River Rd tower, but the digital signal comes from the other tower which is farther south. The bearings I have suggest that we just happen to live where we are almost directly in line with the two towers -- the digital tower is behind the analog tower, and at twice the range. Could it be that the strong signal from the nearby analog tower is somehow precluding the tuner from "seeing" the farther away digital source, effectively interfering with the simulcasting?

Clutching at straws here.... Sorry about the long message, but if anyone can help, thanks!
post #360 of 13749
I am also in Silver Spring. WETA digital broadcasts are flaky, even with a good rooftop antenna (a 4-bay or 8-bay bowtie type is best). I can only get them consistently at night from late fall to early spring. During this period, I can sometimes get them irregularly during the day without too much dropout.

The WETA website program schedule for channels 26.1, 26.3, and 26.4 is riddled with errors in the listings it shows. Also, no listings are shown for 26.2 at all or for 26.1 outside of the HD broadcast hours at night. The website listings are not consistent with what shows up in program listings for DirecTV HD-Tivo program guide, which is somewhat more accurate, but not too accurate either.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD - HDTV