or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › For all D-Box enthusiasts !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For all D-Box enthusiasts ! - Page 158

post #4711 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

Has anyone ever figured out who the customer base for D-Box is in the Czech Republic? If you ever check the complete title list, you'll see them constantly adding re-syncs for titles in the Czech Republic. Do you think it's one really rich dude over there asking for these re-syncs, or are there a ton of Czech Republic D-Box fanatics that we need to get in touch with in the interest of furthering international relations?

Goed idee om hier eens achteraan te gaan als je het mij vraagt!
Sorry, good idea to look into this. Maybe there s another D-Box comminity out there on the web. I ll do some extensive searching tonight.
post #4712 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

I don t know what VNC is (pc noob) but will that fix the keyboard shortcut problem I have with the current beta release I m testing?

VNC is free remote control software. My D-Box pc does not have a keyboard, mouse or monitor connected to it, so I use VNC to do anything on it.

If you have an Andriod Device, you can control your D-Box remotely but you would be looking at a windows desktop with the software running on it. I still think using RS-232 is the best bet. You can send a code to it and get an exact level set instead of using sliders that may or may not get to the level you want. The down side is without 2-way control remote (D-Box software does support 2-Way) you don't get to see what the current values are.
post #4713 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

Belgium and the Czech Republic are two different countries.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? When did this happen?
post #4714 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

VNC is free remote control software. My D-Box pc does not have a keyboard, mouse or monitor connected to it, so I use VNC to do anything on it.

If you have an Andriod Device, you can control your D-Box remotely but you would be looking at a windows desktop with the software running on it. I still think using RS-232 is the best bet. You can send a code to it and get an exact level set instead of using sliders that may or may not get to the level you want. The down side is without 2-way control remote (D-Box software does support 2-Way) you don't get to see what the current values are.

looked at VNC. Now I understand what it does and that it is not usable in my situation (where the PC is also used as player). My PC is also on top of my receiver and I fully control my Media Player Classic software with my Logitech Harmony Remote.
I send D-Box a mail that the keyboard shortcuts work but that it is far from ideal at this moment because the D-Box control panel needs the be on the desktop AND has the primary focus on it.
I ve asked if they could look into 'TCP type interface' because this would be the best and most stable solution according to someone where I asked about this on the AVS forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1380663)

You re beginning again about RS-232. Could you tell me more specific how this works and how I can make this work in my setup? And what do you mean with '2-way' support?

EDIT: just looked on the D-Box site. Am I correct that only the standalone version of the controller is RS-232 compatible?
post #4715 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

EDIT: just looked on the D-Box site. Am I correct that only the standalone version of the controller is RS-232 compatible?

No, I have the PC version and I use RS-232 and it works great. If you have never worked with RS-232 commands before, then there is a bit of a learning curve. I also realize that the Logitech does not seem to have support for this, though this seems hard to believe as even some of the cheap apps for iphone/ipad have this.

I agree with you that IP control would be the best solution as it seems to be the future of remote control.

It is great that D-Box has worked with you up to this point, but you may need to meet them half way.
post #4716 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

l And what do you mean with '2-way' support?

Simply put, if you had a remote capable of 2-way (I don't), your remote could send a command (without you needing to prompt it to) and your remote could always display the exact level of everything, as when the remote send the command, D-Box software returns the value it was asked for.
post #4717 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Could you tell me more specific how this works and how I can make this work in my setup? And what do you mean with '2-way' support?



You said you are using Logitech Harmony Remote and EventGhost? If so, there is a serial port plugin for EventGhost.

I could be wrong, but it seems like you may end up needing a separate pc than your HTPC box to get what you are looking for.
post #4718 of 6358
Green Lantern is out, thank you D-BOX!!
post #4719 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Green Lantern is out, thank you D-BOX!!

You'll have to let us know how that title turns out.
post #4720 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

You said you are using Logitech Harmony Remote and EventGhost? If so, there is a serial port plugin for EventGhost.

I could be wrong, but it seems like you may end up needing a separate pc than your HTPC box to get what you are looking for.

you also intervened in my other topic I see, thanks for that (although I m not understanding what you re actually asking there; again, I m a pc noob, sorry).
How could a separate PC ever work? This would mean that I have to start playing a movie on 2 pcs at the EXACT same moment?
post #4721 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

you also intervened in my other topic I see, thanks for that (although I m not understanding what you re actually asking there; again, I m a pc noob, sorry).
How could a separate PC ever work? This would mean that I have to start playing a movie on 2 pcs at the EXACT same moment?

No, one PC as the D-Box Controller and the other to send the commands either by RS-232 or if you go with the sliders, to keep the D-Box software in focus. I'll do what I can to help, but my situation was different so I am not an expert.
post #4722 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

You'll have to let us know how that title turns out.

Lol, I hope it is not that bad.
post #4723 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

I am sorry to hear that you were underwhelmed by your experience. I have not seen this movie yet, nor have I tired D-Box in a theater, but I do have a few comments.

The theater seats are built differently than those used in the home. They use 3 actuators built directly under the seat vs. at the floor level. This is more of a full throttle approach and personally, I feel it leans more towards gimmicky than for immersion. You don’t want folks spending an additional $8 and feel like they got ripped off cause of no motion.
In the home, you will typically get less motion due to several reasons. The actuators are at the floor (or under the floor for platforms) level. Home theater chairs will more likely absorb more of the intensity than the theater chairs. In contrast, you should experience more immersion due to the ability to recline and/or add actuators under your platform so your feet move as well.

You also mentioned the limited control. On the home controller, you have almost limitless options/levels of control to “fine tune” the experience to best fit your personal tastes. This includes adjustable vibration, motion and delays.

Also, consider sound tracks of moves, some movies are reference and others are not. MFX is much like a sound mix. Back when I purchased my 1st Dolby Digital receiver in 1996, I remember critiquing each sound I heard from each speaker. Sometimes I thought it was amazing, and other times I did not understand why they missed an opportunity or added something that should not have been. I did the exact same thing when I 1st purchased D-Box. In both cases, I realized that instead of enjoying the movie, I was paying too much attention to what the sound or MFX artist did. In a way, I let go of the critiquing and now I am able to enjoy the movie more. Sound tracks are not perfect, nor are MFX tracks but both can add to the experience.

On a side note, even as a transducer, D-Box can be fun. I ran a 5 Hz test track on my chair and it was insane. I dear anyone to try to read text on screen during this type of demo, cause it is not going to happen.

I think you make a lot of good points.

I was thinking that the home experience would differ and that one of those differences would be less intensity. I think this would be a good thing. I also think if the floor moved (even if it was just a vibration) it would have been a lot better. The concrete floor really threw things off for me. A platform seems like it would be ideal.

I am happy to hear there is more control on the home controller. The theater chairs have four settings high, medium, low & off. I probably would have gone lower than low for this film. Is there any way you could post an image of the controls available on the home controller?

I realize that I was being very analytical and that was my intent. When I went to see this film, I planned to analyze the experience. Casual viewing would be different. I think your analogy to film soundtracks is a good one. I was actually thinking the same thing myself. I totally agree that motion can add to the experience. I am looking forward as this technology matures and the artists learn what is most effective.

It is funny you bring up using D-Box as a tactile transducer. After my experience in the theater, I was thinking maybe all I need is a really awesome tactile transducer set-up. Too bad I don't know someone who has one of these systems close to me so I could experiment.

If MI4 is being shown in D-Box, I will probably try it again.

Mike
post #4724 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines View Post

It is funny you bring up using D-Box as a tactile transducer. After my experience in the theater, I was thinking maybe all I need is a really awesome tactile transducer set-up. Too bad I don't know someone who has one of these systems close to me so I could experiment.

If MI4 is being shown in D-Box, I will probably try it again.

Mike

You can get $40 transducers (50 watt) on Amazon. Not sure if they're any good, but the reviews are high.

I have transducers in my non-D-Box chairs. They're pretty great. I had a friend (a transducer fan) say that they were "90% of the D-Box effect at 10% of the price." I can't say I really agree... but that's why I have D-Box and he doesn't.
post #4725 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines View Post

If MI4 is being shown in D-Box, I will probably try it again.

Mike

MI4 will only be coded after it is released on Blu-ray. The next two theatrical codings are Contraband and The Grey.
post #4726 of 6358
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that tactile transducers are 90% of the potential improvement that motion has to offer but it may bridge the gap pretty nicely for a lot of folks. I think I will try a few and see what I think but I suspect it won't be enough for me.

Too bad MI4 isn't playing D-Box. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer until I try it again. Is there a list of upcoming theatrical D-Box releases? I didn't see a list like that on the D-Box site.

Mike
post #4727 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines View Post

Too bad MI4 isn't playing D-Box. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer until I try it again. Is there a list of upcoming theatrical D-Box releases? I didn't see a list like that on the D-Box site.

Mike

D-Box doesn't like to get ahead of themselves by publicizing future theatrical releases too far in advance. I've heard them say it's because of contractual reasons, but I'm unclear as to why that is the case.

So, in their absence, you can count on me for that info. :-)
post #4728 of 6358
May I ask how you come into possession of that information?

Mike
post #4729 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines View Post

May I ask how you come into possession of that information?

Mike

Well I can't play all my cards, now can I?
post #4730 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

Or, you know, any games.

Yeah, I've been waiting for dbox support for Need for speed The Run for a while now but still no support...
post #4731 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines View Post

Is there any way you could post an image of the controls available on the home controller?

I don't mind getting you some screen caps, but their software is 100% free to download on their website. You may get more mileage trying it out for yourself.
post #4732 of 6358
Well I did some testing for Sanderdvd and found the newest software did not work well without a controller connected to the PC. Once you I hit the power button, the sync just froze. I had to test with v3.7 to get into the menus, so you may have this issue as well.
post #4733 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

I don't mind getting you some screen caps, but their software is 100% free to download on their website. You may get more mileage trying it out for yourself.

Yeah, I downloaded it. So the difference between the intensity and motion vibration is what exactly? Is the motion vibration just the tactile stuff from the subwoofer input?

Mike
post #4734 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Well I did some testing for Sanderdvd and found the newest software did not work well without a controller connected to the PC. Once you I hit the power button, the sync just froze. I had to test with v3.7 to get into the menus, so you may have this issue as well.

This is another problem I have correct? I think this won t be hard for D-Box to fix?

I m still trying to figure out what to do to get the shortcuts working with the D-Box control panel running in the background and while playing a movie with 'Media Player Classic HC, D-Box edition' in fullscreen exclusive mode......

I m focussing now on 3 possible solution:

1. a solution from D-Box itself (I informed them about the problem)
2. Autohoykeymanager http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=80178
3. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1380663
post #4735 of 6358
deleted
post #4736 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPines View Post

Yeah, I downloaded it. So the difference between the intensity and motion vibration is what exactly? Is the motion vibration just the tactile stuff from the subwoofer input?

Mike

In MFX mode, both vibration and motion is coded by D-Box. They give you the ability to cater both of these to your likes. If you love the tactile vibrations, but don't want to move much, you can trim motion and keep 100% of the vibrations. Same thing vice-versa if you prefer motion over vibration. Or if you like the ratio, then you can just trim both with the front page sliders. Even with this you have 2 ways. You can trim all with the master or each seat(ing). Keep in mind if you trim Master 50% and another seat 50%, that seat is now at 25%.
post #4737 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

This is another problem I have correct? I think this won t be hard for D-Box to fix?

No, I was testing on a PC that is not connected to my D-Box. The newest software was freezing because it could not sync. I did not use my D-Box PC, because I already have its com port (serial port) and D-Box software talking with my remote and I don’t want to mess with it.

I think I found your solution and I will continue to work with you in the other tread you started. Once I have the tutorial completed, I will post it in here too incase any others want to control their D-Box PC controller with a Logitech (or other remotes) that don’t have RS-232 as a normal option.
post #4738 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

No, I was testing on a PC that is not connected to my D-Box. The newest software was freezing because it could not sync. I did not use my D-Box PC, because I already have its com port (serial port) and D-Box software talking with my remote and I don't want to mess with it.

I think I found your solution and I will continue to work with you in the other tread you started. Once I have the tutorial completed, I will post it in here too incase any others want to control their D-Box PC controller with a Logitech (or other remotes) that don't have RS-232 as a normal option.

That great thxman. If you want a donation for it: no problem!
I ll keep track on the other post. Maybe you can post a beta guide in the thread? Tonight I have a few hours time for testing.
post #4739 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

If you want a donation for it: no problem!

No thank you, glad to help. I have been lucky to have others help me as well.
post #4740 of 6358
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

In MFX mode, both vibration and motion is coded by D-Box. They give you the ability to cater both of these to your likes. If you love the tactile vibrations, but don't want to move much, you can trim motion and keep 100% of the vibrations. Same thing vice-versa if you prefer motion over vibration. Or if you like the ratio, then you can just trim both with the front page sliders. Even with this you have 2 ways. You can trim all with the master or each seat(ing). Keep in mind if you trim Master 50% and another seat 50%, that seat is now at 25%.

Interesting. This is going to make the motion code files more complicated to reverse engineer than I thought. There is more going on than I realized.

It would be interesting to play with all the settings. I'm sure I could find something that would really work well for me.

Mike
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › For all D-Box enthusiasts !