or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › For all D-Box enthusiasts !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For all D-Box enthusiasts ! - Page 196

post #5851 of 6359
I know of
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

I wonder if the way they don't normally combine the different new/top tier tech (Atmos, IMAX, HFR 3D, D-BOX) is going to bite them in the long run. On one hand, it encourages people to see it more than once to experience all the different formats. But I would imagine that is a pretty small group. Maybe they should be trying to cram everything in one theater to do sensory overload all at once. However, from what I understand about D-BOX's pricing model, they may be preventing that.

I know of a theatre in Tampa that combines LieMAX and D-Box
post #5852 of 6359
If anybody has a current list of any necessary re-syncs/adds handy besides Zero Dark Thirty I am within days of sending a shipment to D-BOX. Otherwise I will try to catch everything in the last few months of the thread and also from my own experiences.
post #5853 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

I know of
I know of a theatre in Tampa that combines LieMAX and D-Box

I know some do combine but I think it is rare. Learned something new today. I guess I have been watching some LieMAX. It still seems a lot better than the normal theater experience, from the sound if nothing else.
post #5854 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

If anybody has a current list of any necessary re-syncs/adds handy besides Zero Dark Thirty I am within days of sending a shipment to D-BOX. Otherwise I will try to catch everything in the last few months of the thread and also from my own experiences.
Zero Dark Thirty is the only one (retail) I have come across other than Looper and the Harry Potter Movies. Those have all been updated from my previous shipments. Looking forward to Zero Dark Thirty, so thanks!

About to test OZ, Escape for Planet Earth and Hansel and Gretel. Will report back in a bit.
These 3 all worked. Also tested Cloud Atlas. All 4 of these are from Redbox so retail should not be an issue.
Edited by thxman - 6/18/13 at 1:22pm
post #5855 of 6359
Just the usual complaints . I love D-BOX but the titles I see listed and the ones currently available make me yawn . Seriously who is looking forward to snitch with the rock or hansel &Gretel ? I wish the company was in the USA with some headbangers working on the coding . Recently watched Minority Report and thought the coding was underwhelming .
post #5856 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbrazil View Post

Just the usual complaints . I love D-BOX but the titles I see listed and the ones currently available make me yawn . Seriously who is looking forward to snitch with the rock or hansel &Gretel ? I wish the company was in the USA with some headbangers working on the coding . Recently watched Minority Report and thought the coding was underwhelming .

Snitch had some good action sequences towards the end that would work well with D-Box.

I think your complaint might be better suited to the studios and the new films they're releasing instead of D-Box.
post #5857 of 6359
True the quality of movies currently available is quite sad . My complaint encompasses the thought of so many older titles that would be greatly enhanced by some coding . Though I have embraced a number of B or even C films (paul Anderson's Death Race is one) I have always been extremely discerning in the films I choose to watch and the temptation to watch utter garbage for the sake of some good coding has yet to overcome my better judgement . On the bright side the coding for Gladiator is a perfect example of my point . A really good film made even better with a more immersive viewing . If they can go back and code the Bond series there's no reason not to continue in this vein and bring more deserving titles to us .
Edited by jillbrazil - 6/27/13 at 11:34pm
post #5858 of 6359
yeah,i agree,I hear Courage under fire and Commando will have it was well too 5.gif
post #5859 of 6359
I have purchased paradigm rock sm-80 and madison fielding planter speakers in the last 2 years. I love the planter speakers. (Google madison fielding planter speakers). Like others here, I am hooked on good sound and the planter speakers definitely cut it and look great
post #5860 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanny View Post

I have purchased paradigm rock sm-80 and madison fielding planter speakers in the last 2 years. I love the planter speakers. (Google madison fielding planter speakers). Like others here, I am hooked on good sound and the planter speakers definitely cut it and look great

Uh, what does that have to do with this thread? confused.gif
post #5861 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbrazil View Post

True the quality of movies currently available is quite sad . My complaint encompasses the thought of so many older titles that would be greatly enhanced by some coding . Though I have embraced a number of B or even C films (paul Anderson's Death Race is one) I have always been extremely discerning in the films I choose to watch and the temptation to watch utter garbage for the sake of some good coding has yet to overcome my better judgement . On the bright side the coding for Gladiator is a perfect example of my point . A really good film made even better with a more immersive viewing . If they can go back and code the Bond series there's no reason not to continue in this vein and bring more deserving titles to us .

True , the chariot race scene in Ben Hur comes to mind.
post #5862 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

True , the chariot race scene in Ben Hur comes to mind.
Oh yeah ! Plus To Live and Die in LA and the Mad Max trilogy ( could be waiting for Fury Road ) .
post #5863 of 6359
yeah, Let's hope we see wider Studio support and also HD DVD-supported formats soon also.26.gif
post #5864 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by notcaxsy View Post

yeah, Let's hope we see wider Studio support and also HD DVD-supported formats soon also.26.gif

HD DVD? Seriously?
post #5865 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

HD DVD? Seriously?

Hahaha
post #5866 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais View Post

HD DVD? Seriously?
Actually (mad scientist that I am ) I've been contemplating hooking up my laserdisc player to see if it would work with the DTS encoded discs that I own . Since it's bitstream it should work .
post #5867 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbrazil View Post

Actually (mad scientist that I am ) I've been contemplating hooking up my laserdisc player to see if it would work with the DTS encoded discs that I own . Since it's bitstream it should work .

Why would it? If it was that simple HD-DVD would work.
post #5868 of 6359
I have no idea how hd dvd works . Does it carry lossless tracks or lossy DD or DTS ? My thought was the LD player has a digital out maybe the controller might work off that . Anyway the picture quality is no longer acceptable to me .
post #5869 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Why would it? If it was that simple HD-DVD would work.

Well, I think it is quite simple... D-Box needs an unaltered legacy Dolby Digital or DTS Stream to sync. For HD-DVD, afaik, it is mandatory that the player converts the audio signal that originally might be stored as TrueHD, DTS HD Master or Dolby Digital Plus to PCM before sending it to the receiver/pre-pro. It is the same as with a Blu-Ray player set to mix instead of Bitstream. The idea behind the Mix-PCM thing is that the Sound from the Disc is being decoded in the player, mixed with interactive content and then sent downstream as PCM. D-Box, however, needs the 'signature' of the original stream which is lost once it has been decoded. I don't know the 'classified' details of the 'signature' but it does not work with PCM and it is very unlikely to work since the decoding process is 'unpredictable' any deviation from a 'D-Box decoded signal' would render the sync useless.

For Laser Disk, it could work (as it does for D-VHS), as long as it is an unaltered bitstream and as long as D-Box has made a Sync for this bitstream.

Just my two Cents ... wink.gif

Markus
post #5870 of 6359
Well, for starters, we have enough trouble getting different varieties of a particular Blu-Ray to work. So it doesn't seem likely any deviation in a different format besides DVD or Blu-Ray is going to be supported. You might get lucky once in a while. But by all means if you have good luck let us know.
post #5871 of 6359
Thunderball is coded, yeahy!

I have noticed some 3d movies still need coding.

The Darkest Hour
Monsters vs aliens
post #5872 of 6359
A few weeks back I mentioned a new D-Box project I am working on involving vibration passthough to the construction of the house. The problem is that the vibrations cause a lot of problems to other rooms in house (because my HT room in on the upper floor). Yesterday a professional company who is specialised in vibrations came over to my house. There are options to solve the vibrations passthrough but the problem is that they cannot predict how the D-Box experience will be after it. They told me that an option will be is to work with so called AIRSPRINGS. These will solve to vibration problem but there are two problem with this:

- First is that the frequncy range of the vibration sequences that are being used by D-Box: they vary from 1 to 100Hz and after using airsprings certain vibrations could 'work in their own resonance'.

- The second problem are the motions. Let s take a side car crash for example. You guys know that these are short very fast moving motions. When using airsprings it could cause motion ,that is supposed to be a '1-time-movement', to 'ECHO' (I don t know the Englisg word for this so hope you guys understand what I mean).

I am not giving this up yet and won t tune down the vibration experience in the D-Box software yet smile.gif

Suggestions/input is more than welcome
post #5873 of 6359
I wonder if a heavy duty rubber matt (the made from recycled tires kind) and a sheet of plywood covering it would tame the vibrations.
post #5874 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

A few weeks back I mentioned a new D-Box project I am working on involving vibration passthough to the construction of the house. The problem is that the vibrations cause a lot of problems to other rooms in house (because my HT room in on the upper floor). Yesterday a professional company who is specialised in vibrations came over to my house. There are options to solve the vibrations passthrough but the problem is that they cannot predict how the D-Box experience will be after it. They told me that an option will be is to work with so called AIRSPRINGS. These will solve to vibration problem but there are two problem with this:

- First is that the frequncy range of the vibration sequences that are being used by D-Box: they vary from 1 to 100Hz and after using airsprings certain vibrations could 'work in their own resonance'.

- The second problem are the motions. Let s take a side car crash for example. You guys know that these are short very fast moving motions. When using airsprings it could cause motion ,that is supposed to be a '1-time-movement', to 'ECHO' (I don t know the Englisg word for this so hope you guys understand what I mean).

I am not giving this up yet and won t tune down the vibration experience in the D-Box software yet smile.gif

Suggestions/input is more than welcome

Hi sanderdvd,

You might consider giving a call to Ted at The Sound Proofing Company. They might be able to provide some ideas to help with your issue.
I worked with them when designing the sound proofing for my theater.

Not sure to what extent you want to go, but you might have to decouple the ceiling and walls in the room below if possible using clips and channels. This essentially suspends the ceiling...preventing the transfer of energy from the DBOX platform.
post #5875 of 6359
Ditto on the suggestion for Ted, but run anything you do past the D-Box guys because sometimes their advice is counter-intuitive.
post #5876 of 6359
Thanks for the replies guys.
I got in contact with a vibration engineer company in the Netherlands. They visited me yesterday and did some initial thinking about a solution. A heavy rubber matt as suggested won t work at all.
It is far more complicated then just 'place something under it'. I will try to explain what the exact problems are (it will be hard for my because my English and specially technical English is not good at all).
They told me that I could work with a (heavy) floating platform that rests on so-called AIRSPRINGS. First problem is that this construction has to be made in a way that the D-Box system is not going to vibrate is his own resonance. The second problem is the motion: there is a change that motions will 'echo' (imagine a D-Box side crash: you guys know that this is a very shot and fast moving D-Box sequence. The intention of course is that the D-Box system stands still' immediately. But when using springs there is a change that the motions will 'repeat' itself a few times. This will be of course with a very low intensity but it will be still there. The engineers cannot tell me exectly how this would affect the D-Box experience in real-life so it will all be a try-out. However, it will be a pretty expensive try-out and that is why I have doubt whether to begin with this or not.
post #5877 of 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Thanks for the replies guys.
I got in contact with a vibration engineer company in the Netherlands. They visited me yesterday and did some initial thinking about a solution. A heavy rubber matt as suggested won t work at all.
It is far more complicated then just 'place something under it'. I will try to explain what the exact problems are (it will be hard for my because my English and specially technical English is not good at all).
They told me that I could work with a (heavy) floating platform that rests on so-called AIRSPRINGS. First problem is that this construction has to be made in a way that the D-Box system is not going to vibrate is his own resonance. The second problem is the motion: there is a change that motions will 'echo' (imagine a D-Box side crash: you guys know that this is a very shot and fast moving D-Box sequence. The intention of course is that the D-Box system stands still' immediately. But when using springs there is a change that the motions will 'repeat' itself a few times. This will be of course with a very low intensity but it will be still there. The engineers cannot tell me exectly how this would affect the D-Box experience in real-life so it will all be a try-out. However, it will be a pretty expensive try-out and that is why I have doubt whether to begin with this or not.

Easy solution: just tell your neighbors to move out for the sake of a quality Dutch home theatre!
post #5878 of 6359
Maybe some Dennis Erskine consultation time?
post #5879 of 6359
We we do some testing on the LG but we are almost 100% sure that it won't work like BD is working lt6Lgn
post #5880 of 6359
.
Edited by MauroAC - 8/23/13 at 11:43am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) › For all D-Box enthusiasts !